Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tiggum posted:

My name's Mathew

Mattephew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you havin name problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but Mathew ain't one

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My last name has an apostrophe (O'Leary) which wreaks havok on most email systems. Most of the time they just ignore it and run it into one word, which is fine, but at university my email address took forever to find as they replaced the apostrophe with a hyphen - O-Leary. That's not going to work, I've never had to use that in my name before. The only times a hyphen should be in a name is if it is in Arabic, Urdu or a similarly laid out languiage eg Al-Mualim in Assassins Creed and also history. Also my scheduling system at work omits the O as well so my name shortens weirdly for my username.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BioEnchanted posted:

The only times a hyphen should be in a name is if it is in Arabic, Urdu or a similarly laid out languiage eg Al-Mualim in Assassins Creed and also history.

Wobbleford Wimbledon-Hufferpole-Smythe III begs to differ.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

My last name has an apostrophe (O'Leary) which wreaks havok on most email systems. Most of the time they just ignore it and run it into one word, which is fine, but at university my email address took forever to find as they replaced the apostrophe with a hyphen - O-Leary. That's not going to work, I've never had to use that in my name before. The only times a hyphen should be in a name is if it is in Arabic, Urdu or a similarly laid out languiage eg Al-Mualim in Assassins Creed and also history. Also my scheduling system at work omits the O as well so my name shortens weirdly for my username.

Yeah alright òlêårï.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ayydenlmao

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wobbleford Wimbledon-Hufferpole-Smythe III begs to differ.

of the Woolfardisworthy Wimbledon-Hufferpole-Smythes?

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

It's pretty common in Dutch names, both first names and surnames. The king is called Willem-Alexander van Oranje-Nassau.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
For the last time, Feather-Stone-Haugh is pronounced Fanshawe! F silent E a silent t silent h silent e silent r swap the s and n - HAUGH. It's not that hard, It's quite simple!

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I say we just number people.
I gave my son an incredibly overly complicated name and I've just realised he's gonna hate me when he's old enough to know it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My last name is relatively uncommon and is now a popular first name. It's so annoying.

When I was substituting I'd run into some jackass every couple of days who'd be like, "HURR THAT'S MY NAME!"

At least no one has replaced any of the vowels with Y's yet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
When I was at school, we had a kid name Mrzlack (pronounced like mer-shellack) which just killed every teacher who had him as a student.

Best was one year he got called Mr. Zlack by a new teacher.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Sad lions posted:

I gave my son an incredibly overly complicated name and I've just realised he's gonna hate me when he's old enough to know it.

I'll name my kid seven. Don't you steal it

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Krispy Kareem posted:

My last name is relatively uncommon and is now a popular first name. It's so annoying.

When I was substituting I'd run into some jackass every couple of days who'd be like, "HURR THAT'S MY NAME!"

My husband has a similar problem. Uncommon first name (at least in the US), and a last name that's common as a first name. Think "Premkumar Thomas" or something.

He gave up a while ago and just started giving his last name at restaurants and such. Otherwise you get to play the fun "spell that over the phone" game which never ends well.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
http://babynames.allparenting.com/babynames/Ideas/_Baby_names_without_vowels/

baby names posted:

Baby names without any vowels
Bryn
Brys
Chrys
Cnychwr
Cymry
Cyndy
Drych
Dryw
Dylyn
Dyvyr
Glynn/Glyn
Glynys
Gryffyn
Gwyn
Gwynyth
Gwystyl
Gwythyr
Hydd
Hydyn
Kym
Kymbyll
Kynwyl
Kyryn
Kyvyn
Llyr
Llywyllyn
Lynn
Lyryc
Myrvyn
Myryck
Pwyll
Pyrs
Qwynn
Rhys
Ryn
Trynt
Trystyn
Tryvyr
Wym
Wynn

which just reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BXKsQ2nbno

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Ryn and Bryn are okay.

Shouldn't they have two N's?

Wow he nailed it.

Dejawesp has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Feb 2, 2017

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Y is a vowel though?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Kyvyn Spycyy

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

china bot posted:

Kyvyn Spycyy

I'll have a spycyy Kyvyn.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is funnier than it should be.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sad lions posted:

That's the solution Romans came to when there were only twenty or so acceptable names left. That way you just remember everyone by some nickname. So everyone knows you by a nickname that means "baldy" or "yappy dog" but your legal name is Bob 8th of the family Smith.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's the solution Romans came to when there were only twenty or so acceptable names left. That way you just remember everyone by some nickname. So everyone knows you by a nickname that means "baldy" or "yappy dog" but your legal name is Bob 8th of the family Smith.

Someone should have introduced the ancient Romans to "Todd" "Jake" "Rod" "Chad" We have names out the rear end these days when you throw all taste out the window.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Gorilla Salad posted:

When I was at school, we had a kid name Mrzlack (pronounced like mer-shellack) which just killed every teacher who had him as a student.

I was friends with a girl with the last name Alexandropolous in school, and the principal kept calling her Alexander Popolous by mistake. No matter how often she corrected him that her name wasn't Alexander and her last name wasn't Popolous, he never managed to get it right.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Dejawesp posted:

Someone should have introduced the ancient Romans to "Todd" "Jake" "Rod" "Chad" We have names out the rear end these days when you throw all taste out the window.
All hail emperor Chad Caesar!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

My name's Mathew, and I've also had this problem throughout my entire life, and you know what? It's not even in my top 100 problems (and I don't have that many problems). It barely loving registers. Occasionally it's mildly inconvenient. People need to get over this bullshit about unusual or oddly spelled names being terrible. They're not. They're fine. Get the gently caress over it.

I hope never. I hope they get more and more extreme to the point that no one even knows what a "normal" name is any more so that we can finally end this stupid "look how dumb this baby's name is" meme forever.

I knew a guy named Mathew. His dad misspelled the name of every single one of his kids on their birth certificates.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Woebin posted:

Look at this humblebrag about ordering off-menu at Guy's American Kitchen and Bar

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Decrepus posted:

The name Mathew stands for the Git of God.

I just wanted to tell you that this is a great joke imo.

Yawgmoth posted:

Whenever I think of Penny Arcade, I think of the dickwolves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Wolf ?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Woebin posted:

You know Chad Caesar was getting mad pussy while the beta incel Brutus couldn't even get a date.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

idgi, it's just a list of welsh names

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just read a summary of the Dickwolf controversy, and everything seemed pretty mild and overblown, at worst poor taste and poor judgment in the defensive response, until I got to this part:

quote:

Arguments over whether or not the "dickwolves" meme was a joke or not and whether it was offensive or oppressive flared up in late 2010 and into January and February of 2011. Penny Arcade supporters created Team Rape [a twitter account] to harass anti-rape activists.

Yeaaaaaah when it got to that point, pulling the merch was the correct move.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

CommonShore posted:

I just read a summary of the Dickwolf controversy, and everything seemed pretty mild and overblown, at worst poor taste and poor judgment in the defensive response, until I got to this part:

Yeaaaaaah when it got to that point, pulling the merch was the correct move.

How can humanity lead me to new heights of disappointment retroactively? I thought we were worse than this. Turned out it was even worse half a decade ago and I was just holding the bar too high :negative:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Aramek posted:

Y is a vowel though?

Sometimes

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I was friends with a girl with the last name Alexandropolous in school, and the principal kept calling her Alexander Popolous by mistake. No matter how often she corrected him that her name wasn't Alexander and her last name wasn't Popolous, he never managed to get it right.

I was doing roll call once, calling everyone by their surnames because gently caress trying to pronounce some of those first names, when I get to a poor bastard with the last name Manlove.

"Harris? Jenkins? Lane? Lassiter? ...Steven?"

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Obligatory at this point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So we're just done with "source your quotes," right? That's not a thing anymore?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Warmachine posted:

So we're just done with "source your quotes," right? That's not a thing anymore?

I'm just assuming that the source is noted SA forums user Low Desert Punk.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm just assuming that the source is noted SA forums user Low Desert Punk.
smh at u LDP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I shall follow it up with this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss