Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
How are there almost double the amount of genders vs orientations? That seems backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kraps posted:

How are there almost double the amount of genders vs orientations? That seems backwards.

gender is a curious thing, Kraps

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
with the right policies OK Cupid could double those gender and orientation counts over the next quarter. I believe in them!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

av club is so loving bad, even by the standards of other "creating bad opinion content for clicks" sites

AV Club is explicitly about media and pop-culture though, so them publishing a dumb comparison of politics to a videogame/movie/book/album doesn't strike me as nearly as bad as a general purpose news/commentary site publishing a similar piece. If anyone is going to be publishing articles equating Donald Trump to Voldemort it ought to be them (or someone like them).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ID politics is a plot by the PATRIOTS to enforce their will on society

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

devtesla posted:

with the right policies OK Cupid could double those gender and orientation counts over the next quarter. I believe in them!

Pffft. 26 genders? Never gonna find someone to gently caress with that kind of specificity. Believe me, I know a thing or two about not loving. :smug:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Garry Parrish posted:

ID politics is a plot by the PATRIOTS to enforce their will on society

This is literally the exact opposite of the LaLiLuLeLo's plan. they wanted to end all echo chambers

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Terror Sweat posted:

This is literally the exact opposite of the LaLiLuLeLo's plan. they wanted to end all echo chambers

is lindsey lohan gonna be an ambassador or somethin

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

mormonpartyboat posted:

The national anthem will be replaced with "Slap it!"

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

mormonpartyboat posted:

only as long as Erdogan is still ruling Turkey

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

LGD posted:

AV Club is explicitly about media and pop-culture though, so them publishing a dumb comparison of politics to a videogame/movie/book/album doesn't strike me as nearly as bad as a general purpose news/commentary site publishing a similar piece. If anyone is going to be publishing articles equating Donald Trump to Voldemort it ought to be them (or someone like them).
i guess so, but i just hate the fact that they're doing it at all, especially since they did a good job of not shoehorning in political grandstanding until the middle of last year

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mormonpartyboat posted:

The La Li Lu Le Lo is a codename for the Patriots. It represents the idea of controlling information by removing means to express ideas. La Li Lu Le and Lo being letters that don't exist in the Japanese alphabet.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lindsey lohan is an idea that cannot be expressed

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i guess so, but i just hate the fact that they're doing it at all, especially since they did a good job of not shoehorning in political grandstanding until the middle of last year

Hmm, what happened around a year ago?

http://boingboing.net/2016/01/28/the-onions-new-owner-is-hill.html

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
is lindsey lohan gonna play for the patriots or somethin

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yep, and after that they fired most of the regular contributors and replaced them with freelancers. that's also why they don't do nearly as many TV reviews

"Great Job, Internet" more like "Great Job, Capitalism"

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/827242959460564992

serious brand engagement

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

av club is so loving bad, even by the standards of other "creating bad opinion content for clicks" sites

ok what? 22 genders and 13 orientations sounds really loving extreme and high. and looking it up. most of them are just different ways of saying trans or female.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ok what? 22 genders and 13 orientations sounds really loving extreme and high. and looking it up. most of them are just different ways of saying trans or female.

It was extremely woke for a while for companies like Facebook to basically allow anything to be put in as gender / orientation.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

English is a very versatile language God bless

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Dapper_Swindler posted:

A lot of queer people use terms as a personal self-description rather than a clinical labelling, nothing wrong with that really.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

steinrokkan posted:

It was extremely woke for a while for companies like Facebook to basically allow anything to be put in as gender / orientation.

so i have seen. its not a bad thing, but i doubt it will last with trump.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

A lot of queer people use terms as a personal self-description rather than a clinical labelling, nothing wrong with that really.

true. its not a bad thing. it just seems excessive and i am sure they are hard to learn since most of them seem to be similar as heck.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have the extremely controversial opinion that what people call themselves or others is pointless

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

wOKe CUPID

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
imo it is extremely good that dating sites lets people put their own special snowflake genders in

when someone's profile says they're a canisgender gray sapiosexual effron it's a nice little warning to everyone else

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Male
Female
Porpoise

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

imo it is extremely good that dating sites lets people put their own special snowflake genders in

when someone's profile says they're a canisgender gray sapiosexual effron it's a nice little warning to everyone else

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can we just take a minute to reflect on how weird it was that Max Headroom was the Coca-Cola spokesAI?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Considering the show painted its future as a dystopian consumerist world controlled by media and advertising, yeah.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010

Yeah but then why not just make the gender and orientation box blank and just let people type w/e they want in.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

shut the gently caress up

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Korelle posted:

Yeah but then why not just make the gender and orientation box blank and just let people type w/e they want in.

That's basically what OK Cupid lets people do

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Korelle posted:

Harder to do analysis and matching on.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Korelle posted:

What if somebody put their gender as something like non-binary femme, and their orientation a gay? Does that mean the system will only match them with other people who listed their gender as non-binary femme?

Or what if you put down your orientation as "sapiosexual", how does the algorithm deal with that?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Officially there are 196 countries on earth, which means that they are recognizing all kinds of separatist de facto independent states. This could mean that Turkey and OkCupid are the only two entities in the world that recognize the independent sovereignty of Turkish Cyrus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

Guy Goodbody posted:

Or what if you put down your orientation as "sapiosexual", how does the algorithm deal with that?

The system simply doesn't match you up with anyone for the sake of the rest of the users