Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The worst switched drink I can recall is a restaurant giving me tonic water instead of Sprite. I'd never had tonic water before, so I didn't know what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Cross posting from the UK thread.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-38838653

A police force carried out a controlled explosion on a "suspicious" car outside a station, not realising its own officers had parked it there.

A bomb squad was called after concerns about an unattended Vauxhall Corsa at Workington police station, Cumbria.

Roads around the building, in Hall Brow, were sealed off and an explosion carried out at 08:00 GMT.

The force blamed "an internal communications error" and apologised to the owner.
Cumbria Police said other officers on duty were not aware colleagues had parked the car outside the station after helping its owner, who had taken ill.

The building was evacuated, a 100m cordon put in place and the vehicle blown up.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

I saw a soda called Vichy in the local stop 'n' rob, and decided to grab one to try since it looked like a nice tonic/soda water. The cashier glanced at it and said "You like that stuff?" and I truthfully said I'd never tried it before. "It's really weird and salty." she helpfully told me. In the back of my mind I'm thinking "We'll yeah, all tonic and soda water is a little weird and salty" But I replied I'd let her know how I liked it.

Yeah, I wasn't prepared.

Vichy water tastes *exactly* like bicarbonate soda dissolved in water. I can understand maybe having a little juice glass full to settle your stomach, I can't imagine drinking and entire 20oz soda bottle full of it.

Extra schadenfreude: I was making chocolate bark and when I was done I had a few extra bits of baking chocolate so I put them in the empty milk chocolate chip bag. This has unwittingly surprised both my husband and my 10 year old.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Can a ten year old tell the difference between milk and baking chocolate?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

azurite posted:

The worst switched drink I can recall is a restaurant giving me tonic water instead of Sprite. I'd never had tonic water before, so I didn't know what the gently caress.

Are you sure it wasn't just the Sprite mixture being off? Because I'm having trouble imagining how this could ever happen. But yeah, fountain drinks in restaurants are mixed from a big thing of carbonated water and giant bags full of weird syrup poo poo, and if the syrup poo poo runs out and nobody notices or the line gets clogged or something you just end up with vaguely sour carbonated water. For colas and stuff it's easy to tell, the color comes out way lighter (eventually clear) but with white soda the only way to tell is for someone to complain.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

JoelJoel posted:

I once drank about half a cup of apple juice that was in the fridge in two big gulps and nearly threw up on the floor. It was actually soup broth!

Also, one time an older sibling asked me if this milk was okay so I tried some. It was most certainly not okay and she was all like "no, I meant smell it!". A very chunky mistake.

Hey don't sign your posts.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Outrail posted:

Can a ten year old tell the difference between milk and baking chocolate?

Most likely. Milk chocolate tastes like watered down poo poo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Powaqoatse posted:

And baking chocolate tastes like death, so they're pretty distinctive

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey don't sign your posts.

:boom:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Powaqoatse posted:

Nah, milk chocolate is creamy and tasty. Dark chocolate is a topping.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I did something similar to the ketchup on the straw except it was a packet of lemon juice that I poured down the straw of someone's milkshake.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

VanSandman posted:

Nah, milk chocolate is creamy and tasty. Dark chocolate is a topping.

Dark chocolate is a topping, BAKING chocolate is bitter and extremely unpalatable raw. It's meant to be mixed with sugar when baking.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

hamsystem posted:

I did something similar to the ketchup on the straw except it was a packet of lemon juice that I poured down the straw of someone's milkshake.

You're a monster.

+1

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've had baking chocolate and it didn't really taste bad at all :shrug: Maybe a little less sweet but definitely edible.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
For some reason I doubt your standards for, "edible".

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TheStampede posted:

For some reason I doubt your standards for, "edible".

:same:

:itwaspoo:

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Outrail posted:

You're a monster.

+1

In my defense I bought the shake and the guy was a complete dickhead. Best money I ever wasted though.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you put baking chocolate in your mouth you'd know it real drat quick.

Like anything else you're not supposed to eat, you can find videos of people trying to eat it on the youtubes.

Saint Freak has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Feb 2, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

If you put baking chocolate in your mouth you'd know it real drat quick.

There's sweetened and unsweetened baking chocolate. You guys may be talking about two different things.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ll take baking chocolate over Hershey’s any day of the week.

It’s an acquired taste, but no harder to acquire than a taste for black coffee.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Feb 2, 2017

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

I saw a soda called Vichy in the local stop 'n' rob, and decided to grab one to try since it looked like a nice tonic/soda water. The cashier glanced at it and said "You like that stuff?" and I truthfully said I'd never tried it before. "It's really weird and salty." she helpfully told me. In the back of my mind I'm thinking "We'll yeah, all tonic and soda water is a little weird and salty" But I replied I'd let her know how I liked it.

Yeah, I wasn't prepared.

Vichy water tastes *exactly* like bicarbonate soda dissolved in water. I can understand maybe having a little juice glass full to settle your stomach, I can't imagine drinking and entire 20oz soda bottle full of it.

Extra schadenfreude: I was making chocolate bark and when I was done I had a few extra bits of baking chocolate so I put them in the empty milk chocolate chip bag. This has unwittingly surprised both my husband and my 10 year old.

Sounds like that was Nazi drink you were expecting.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn't one of the reasons they have to add so much sugar to chocolate is 'cause it's naturally extremely bitter, since it's an alkaloid?

Tastebuds, always looking out for our safety. :unsmith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

whiteyfats posted:

Isn't one of the reasons they have to add so much sugar to chocolate is 'cause it's naturally extremely bitter, since it's an alkaloid?

Tastebuds, always looking out for our safety. :unsmith:

Yep. My friend works at Chocolate Kingdom in Kissimmee and I went on her tour, part of which involves letting you taste pure chocolate liquor straight from the ground beans. It's hideously bitter and almost impossible to consume more than a toothpick's worth. Chocolate was thus very unpopular when first encountered by the Spanish until they started adding sugar and milk.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Yep. My friend works at Chocolate Kingdom in Kissimmee and I went on her tour, part of which involves letting you taste pure chocolate liquor straight from the ground beans. It's hideously bitter and almost impossible to consume more than a toothpick's worth. Chocolate was thus very unpopular when first encountered by the Spanish until they started adding sugar and milk.

Yeah, a while back I've picked up a variety of very dark chocolates with a high cocoa content to give them all a try. Anything up to the 70%-area was fine, 80%+ was alright but something of an acquired taste, but at 90%+ the stuff is basically just pure bitterness with little in the way of actual taste.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

chitoryu12 posted:

I was in Oaxaca and saw the whole process for table chocolate, once roasted and crushed, you get this black syrup that looks like Hersheys, except its about a thousand times more bitter than coffee. They then add bags and bags of sugar that basically just absorbs the syrup's color, and put that into molds. "Table" chocolate is a hard, dark and bitter chocolate which you dissolve in milk to make hot cocoa that's really good.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
raw, unsweetened cocoa is delicious. it really isn't much difference from drinking coffee.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

most mass produced chocolate is the result of child labor. children's tears give chocolate its distinctive flavor.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

im pooping! posted:

most mass produced chocolate is the result of child labor. children's tears give chocolate its distinctive flavor.

This is wrong.

They aren't children, that's just how big a fully grown Oompa Loompa gets

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3XSxzL1plo

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Railing Kill posted:

Sounds like that was Nazi drink you were expecting.

vichy water
n
1. (Cookery) (sometimes capital) a natural mineral water from springs at Vichy in France, reputed to be beneficial to the health
2. (Cookery) any sparkling mineral water resembling this
Often shortened to: vichy

:shrug: Take it up with the French.

Edit: OOOOHHHH that was a *pun*. God that took a while.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Feb 2, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krabboss posted:

raw, unsweetened cocoa is delicious. it really isn't much difference from drinking coffee.

You probably weren't consuming truly "raw cocoa" if you think it's in any way comparable to black coffee. Pure chocolate without any sweetener whatsoever is so bitter that it's completely unpalatable. You were almost definitely drinking something with some kind of adulteration.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

vichy water
n
1. (Cookery) (sometimes capital) a natural mineral water from springs at Vichy in France, reputed to be beneficial to the health
2. (Cookery) any sparkling mineral water resembling this
Often shortened to: vichy

:shrug: Take it up with the French.

I wasn't being literal. Vichy has some other... associations. Like, the only thing most people outside of France know it for. But whatever. It wouldn't be SA without pedants unraveling jokes.

Edit: Got it? Sorry for the :dadjoke:. I'll be herr all night.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Like anything else you're not supposed to eat, you can find videos of people trying to eat it on the youtubes.

"Come on that can't possibly be true."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytYVuOhr-sE

"Okay, that's one, but surely there can't be a video of a person eating-"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w388uc7ssc

"There has to be something people won't eat on video!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRWULX2G-Xo

Huh.

(First video features some lovely bad parenting for people who want something to derail the thread with....)

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Random Stranger posted:

"There has to be something people won't eat on video!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRWULX2G-Xo

how is this video not called "ASMRby's"

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Railing Kill posted:

Edit: Got it? Sorry for the :dadjoke:. I'll be herr all night.

:golfclap:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, a while back I've picked up a variety of very dark chocolates with a high cocoa content to give them all a try. Anything up to the 70%-area was fine, 80%+ was alright but something of an acquired taste, but at 90%+ the stuff is basically just pure bitterness with little in the way of actual taste.

High-cacao chocolate is an acquired taste in the sense that once you start getting into it, it's hard to stop. I've got a shelf full of single-origins at home that I slowly work my way through over the course of months or years. The differences in flavor profile between them are some wild poo poo, like tasting wine or scotch but without the cost and with a much easier learning curve. I can't even stomach milk chocolate anymore, really.

Here's a ten-page article that I like to reread every year or two, it's the story of Noka Chocolate—a reputedly super-high-end chocolatier that ended up being exposed (largely through this story) as a couple of scheming fraudsters. It's a fantastic read and actually on topic for this thread, so enjoy.

http://dallasfood.org/2006/12/noka-chocolate-part-1/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was looking at some luxury chocolate once and noticed that, by weight, it was more expensive than silver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

im pooping! posted:

Actually Hershey's uses children's stomach acid.