Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

JacksAngryBiome posted:

I thought the amount of votes also determined likelyhood of success? Or is that for mission choices?

If it happens in the background or is too big to happen in mission, I usually roll dice unless I feel something actually succeeding would be more amusing in the long term.

Edit: If it happens in-mission I let the players' success or failure dictate the outcome.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Fist posted:

:shobon: I'm sorta attached to the Demon Hawks and wouldn't want the players to fight them.

To play Devil's Advocate though, I'd like to see the players take on the Demon Hawks, just to see how much of the OP is in fact 'player advantage'

Actually, since we're talking about the Shadow Division; in this timeline, are these units 'Ascended'? Or just merely organic fanatics?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Changing my A vote to 4 and 6 because as much as I like seeing davion and Kurita fail I really want to see this play out. B I am not so sure of yet.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Or given that Comstar is behind in tech and doesn't realise it's behind in tech it could result in them getting hilariously stomped.

Are we so sure they're behind in tech? We've seen the ComGuards, but the Shadow Divisions are... something else. And even if they are behind, universally being 100% Elite/Fanatical makes up for a lot, especially if they invented C3i early.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Option A: 1 and 4
Option B: 1

I hope we get to see some wobbie-style cyberzombies.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

wiegieman posted:

I hope we get to see some wobbie-style cyberzombies.

Especially if Capellan Skynet hijacks them all. :unsmigghh:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh man, wouldn't that be a glorious surprise for ComStar to see. They send in their cyber-goons and they all get brain-jacked by skynet.

MJ12 posted:

Are we so sure they're behind in tech? We've seen the ComGuards, but the Shadow Divisions are... something else. And even if they are behind, universally being 100% Elite/Fanatical makes up for a lot, especially if they invented C3i early.

On the other-other-other hand, Uncle Stevie seems like he tries to prepare for anything. I doubt he trusts ComStar any more than they trust him. I mean, he had a plan for taking out a big rear end war ship in orbit with a jump torpedo. He might have something to deal with a bunch of crazy mech pilots that show up to kill him, even if they are crazy skilled to go with regular crazy.

Or maybe their landing zone just gets bum-rushed by Good Doggies and they never even get off the boat.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Zaodai posted:

Or maybe their landing zone just gets bum-rushed by Good Doggies and they never even get off the boat.

Here's what happens when Comstar tries to assassinate Uncle Stevie:

Assassin's show up and move in for the kill.
Uncle Stevie's big swivel chair turns around.
'Oh my Blake JC it's a bomb!'

Uncle Doggie racks up the killcount.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
A: 1, 4
B: 1

So far, so bloody well amazing.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

EponymousMrYar posted:

From now on every time I imagine Stefan Amaris it will be patting a tiny Good Doggie that emits adorable little robo-barks.

If attacked he will of course fling it in his assassin's face.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

A 1 & 4
B 3

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Loxbourne posted:

From now on every time I imagine Stefan Amaris it will be patting a tiny Good Doggie that emits adorable little robo-barks.

If attacked he will of course fling it in his assassin's face.

The best part is that would probably be in character for him.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MJ12 posted:

So the way I'm reading things is that ComStar have been more or less doing the thing of preserving Star League technology for themselves and making sure nobody else gets anything done. The Capellans have gone dark and have The Society furiously working for them, and while we know that Amaris has been having his guys tinkering away on explosive drones and jump drives and everything else, we just got a pretty big hint that ComStar has no idea about any of that stuff. I read the Shadow Divisions as being maybe a little special but really their significance being as part of a power play by Focht.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A bunch of fanatical ninjas going around and ganking mechwarriors (and support crews) while they're in their barracks would be pretty effective.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

But that's sane and practical. We play in a world where giant robots make more sense as a weapon than tanks and spaceships are vulnerable to tiny fighters they should eat away with ease with a little CIWS.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

1: 4, 6
2: 1

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SIGSEGV posted:

But that's sane and practical. We play in a world where giant robots make more sense as a weapon than tanks and spaceships are vulnerable to tiny fighters they should eat away with ease with a little CIWS.

Also, "sane and practical" may not work as well against the NRWR as it does against the other houses, given that "sane(ish) and practical" is their hat. They have actual commando teams and research and stuff. That's why the fluff blurb mentioned that they've been fairly resistant to attempts from ROM to infiltrate them. They somehow managed to screen out the guy they've never seen whos attempt to blend in is "So, how about local sports team, fellow employee?"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Alchenar posted:

So the way I'm reading things is that ComStar have been more or less doing the thing of preserving Star League technology for themselves and making sure nobody else gets anything done. The Capellans have gone dark and have The Society furiously working for them, and while we know that Amaris has been having his guys tinkering away on explosive drones and jump drives and everything else, we just got a pretty big hint that ComStar has no idea about any of that stuff. I read the Shadow Divisions as being maybe a little special but really their significance being as part of a power play by Focht.

The Shadow Divisions could be much less exotic and far more literal in their name this time, as well. They could be using the old Star League-era DCSM trick of having one "battalion" on station which is actually twice the size because you actually have two of everything, painted up exactly the same and organized along the exact same TO&E, but only ever let one be seen at any time. In other words, one of them is a shadow of the other.

Seems like a move ComStar would pull. You have permission to have 12 mechs on station? Then you put 12 pairs there.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Alchenar posted:

ComStar has, even in the original timeline, done R&D and expanded on Star League programs, such as their creation of the Tornado and their new-build warships. It's probable that given they had a rival in the form of Amaris (who I believe we voted to not trust at all) they would have done more than just sit on their laurels. I mean, it's possible that the Shadow Divisions are nothing special but I'm expecting that they'll at least be up to Jihad standards of high-end augmentation plus fanaticism plus high-end pure IS tech, which compared to the ridiculous awesome of Superheavy mechs with Quad Strength Myomer and RISC-tech would make them technically 'nothing special.' Like, Amaris is running around with half of the Machina Domini system, RISC-tech, and high-end Clan experimental gear in limited amounts.

A Shadow Division that's loaded to bear with Celestials and the MD Trio of Pain Shunt/VDNI/Dermal Myomer isn't really as 'special' as that.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Votes are around 27 for both now.

Changing votes is not allowed I think.

I kind of wanted to vote for Stevie just so the Dekon Hawks could defend him, but yknow, what if it succeeds.
Then again he did say the Constitution prevents us from failing.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I'm going to go with:
A: 4 and 6
B: 3

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

EponymousMrYar posted:

Here's what happens when Comstar tries to assassinate Uncle Stevie:

Assassin's show up and move in for the kill.
Uncle Stevie's big swivel chair turns around.
'Oh my Blake JC it's a bomb!'

Remind me, doesn't Amaris have some in with Comstar right now? I remember one of their guys hanging out with him in some previous update. Would he be tipped off about anything the First Circuit does against him?

As for votes,

A4
A6
B3

These seem like the biggest destabilizing moves, since pirate raids and garrisons are pretty routine. I really couldn't guess why they'd want to weaken the FWL further either, the Precentor laid out what'd happen if they killed Marik but not why they'd actually want to do it. Also isn't Carlos home yet?

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
A1
A4
B3

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A4
A6
B3

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Dolash posted:

Remind me, doesn't Amaris have some in with Comstar right now? I remember one of their guys hanging out with him in some previous update. Would he be tipped off about anything the First Circuit does against him?

They do, but to be fair, this is Comstar we're talking about. They are /exactly/ the sort of people who would shake your hand with their right hand while plotting to stab you in the back with their left. And they'd make sure to steal your brother's knife to do it with.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Dolash posted:

Well, Amaris figured out Comstar was lying when he asked if they still backed him and we they answered "yes", so he knows he can't trust them, but they obviously fear him enough that he still might bring them to heel.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I certainly hope Comstar have a shot , no pun intended, at taking him out. Because not only do I support the clans for all the crazy poo poo they'll pull, but a destabilized Inner Sphere+Rimworlds is just as fun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That was Stefan Amaris VII, though. He is not on Andurien and just because he suspects he's being lied to doesn't necessarily mean he expects ComStar is going to try to murder his family.

Edit: Besides which, even if he were to send his dad a "Oh, hey, by the way: watch out for ComStar" message that's not really as helpful a warning as it could be, since they're not likely to send an assassin wearing white acolyte robes.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 3, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nobody would expect them to be so obvious...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm hoping the Amaris option leads to a surprise Aerotech game of warships v warships.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Max anarchy

1- 2,3
2- 3

"Listen, the only thing across that bit of space is the Irurzun Prefecture... that's Draconis Combine territory."
"But haven't we been allies with the Dracs since the war 15 years ago?"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That was Stefan Amaris VII, though. He is not on Andurien and just because he suspects he's being lied to doesn't necessarily mean he expects ComStar is going to try to murder his family.

Edit: Besides which, even if he were to send his dad a "Oh, hey, by the way: watch out for ComStar" message that's not really as helpful a warning as it could be, since they're not likely to send an assassin wearing white acolyte robes.

It does mean, however, that if his family ends up murdered (or attempted-murdered), he's probably going to expect ComStar above even the Clans. I guess if they want to force his hand to truly be Maximum Hitler, that'd be a good way to bait out the transformation. I'm sure only good things will come ComStars way from having angry Space Hitler AND Chinese SkyNet out for their blood!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

I'm hoping the Amaris option leads to a surprise Aerotech game of warships v warships.

It won't because I don't particularly find Aerotech enjoyable. It's better balanced than BattleTech but at the same time tracking everything necessary for the game is really not a one-man job.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Could other players volunteer to help? I appreciate PTN may just not like the game, which is his prerogative, but if logistics is the problem I'm sure some goons could step up. I'd be certainly willing to help.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It won't because I don't particularly find Aerotech enjoyable. It's better balanced than BattleTech but at the same time tracking everything necessary for the game is really not a one-man job.

Couldn't you fudge it by using Megamek to track? Make 1 side for the players and give them like, a +12 initiative bonus, and one side for your boats?

Megamek supports Aerotech and has done so for years, which is how I've had some fun space-battleship duels with friends in the past.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not in a way that would be meaningful. AeroTech (and BattleSpace, which are the rules I'm more familiar with) actually try to simulate basic physics. If you're familiar with Kerbal Space Program you probably spotted the problem with that immediately: it's really easy for an inexperienced player to misjudge an acceleration and put their squadrons out of the playing area.

Then, I'd have to keep track of every unit's
- identity
- direction of travel
- facing (because those don't have to match direction of travel)
- whether or not they're inverted (because that's a thing)
- their velocity
- something else I know I'm forgetting

And I'd have to do so in a way that would be immediately communicated to the players when they glanced at the map. I already spend roughly 35-40% of my update time working on the maps we have, which have far less information to communicate.

So yeah. I could do AeroTech. I just don't want to. :shobon:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 3, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You could just do a Battlefleet Gothic video instead.

(I love me some Battlefleet Gothic, but this is not a serious suggestion.)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Zaodai posted:

You could just do a Battlefleet Gothic video instead.

(I love me some Battlefleet Gothic, but this is not a serious suggestion.)

Someone should run with this advice and launch a "Let's All Play WH40k and rewrite Imperium history" thread.

Except there'd be no point in scenario voting because Goons would always pick Orks. By like 33K it'd just be different Ork clans battling it out for who's Da Biggest until the Tyranids show up.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dolash posted:

Someone should run with this advice and launch a "Let's All Play WH40k and rewrite Imperium history" thread.

Except there'd be no point in scenario voting because Goons would always pick Orks. By like 33K it'd just be different Ork clans battling it out for who's Da Biggest until the Tyranids show up.

I actually meant the new-ish Battlefleet Gothic video game, but that thread would be funny. Unfortunately, 40k (as much as I love it) doesn't really have a bunch of territory changes and political interaction like Battletech, so I don't think even PTN could make that AU compelling, it'd just be lines on the map.

Also, as much as a Space Wolves fanboy as I am, I'd probably be pulling for the Tau in that thread. Because, as always, ROBOTS. Orks are cool too though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Dolash posted:

I'd pick Eldar Aeldari. :shobon:

• Locked thread