Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm assuming she is going to be fired, although she hasn't officially been at this point to my knowledge.

And hahahahaha @ the projects having revised timelines. That is amusing.

I always remain forever hopeful. Some day it'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

larchesdanrew posted:

I have a tech out here who agrees. We seriously can't find one single person in the organization who is willing to give us the login credentials to the router.

This is absurd.

Have you tried tweeting these problems to ATTs tweeter channel? Seems like you can't get poo poo done nowdays unless you start yelling in a public space.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

larchesdanrew posted:

I have a tech out here who agrees. We seriously can't find one single person in the organization who is willing to give us the login credentials to the router.

This is absurd.

Weird how that pen you dropped happened to hit the factory reset switch. Oh well, time to have them set it up again, properly this time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

larchesdanrew posted:

This is absurd.

Have you tried yelling yet? I feel like the few times I have gotten into these loops of people saying they can't help me, I go full vile mode and shockingly enough someone figures out who is out there that can fix it. Of course you can't go scorched earth every time there is an issue, but months of no fix? I couldn't get past a week without the insults flying.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

duz posted:

Weird how that pen you dropped happened to login to the serial console, power cycle the device, interrupt the boot sequence with ctrl-c, setup the boot environment to bypass the config, mounted the firmware and then booted the device into factory defaults. Oh well, time to have them set it up again, properly this time.

that's a very talented pen. can I hire it

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Throughout the day, I was using our robodialer to update students and employees on the status of the internet through text messages since email would have been stupid. The director just called me, furious.

:mad: Were you sending text alerts today?
:confused: Yes? Is that a problem? You told me to use it to alert people about network outages.
:mad: Why didn't I receive any texts?
:confused: I'm not sure. The delivery report said that it successfully sent texts to every number that was opted in.
:mad: Well I didn't receive any and neither did [secretary]. Why?
:confused: I'm looking at your account and it says you opted out of text messages.
:mad: I used to get them, why don't I anymore?
:confused: I'm not sure. This is the first time anyone has ever used this system to send texts. You've only ever done phone calls before.
:mad: Well if it's not sending me texts then that's a problem. Make sure it's sending everyone texts!
:confused: I legitimately cannot do that. We legally can't text someone unless they opt in. Everyone got an opt-in call at the beginning of the Fall semester and I've alerted everyone several times how they can opt-in at any time.
:mad: This system isn't doing what we need it to do. Find something else for us to use. And this is part of your job description: making sure everyone is able to be contacted at all times.

So, we have to be able to intrusively and illegally contact anyone we want to at any time without their consent. Gotcha.

:suicide:

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Johnny Aztec posted:

I really don't get how Major ISPs don't get shot up more often.

I worked for a third party call centre that had someone sneak in with staff and start screaming to get someone to help him with his bill.

Edit re: texts. I have have had very few people opt out of our reminder system for appointments but every time I do I'm paranoid someone is going to complain about missing appointments

Blue_monday fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 2, 2017

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Blue_monday posted:

I worked for a third party call centre that had someone sneak in with staff and start screaming to get someone to help him with his bill.

I will never apologize for that

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Blue_monday posted:

I worked for XBox support when the red rings of death were a thing, and I got a call from a dude who had driven to the address they have you mail your xbox to for repairs, and was demanding someone come out and fix it. At like 10pm.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

The Macaroni posted:

Enterprise-wide email: Hey everyone, we're upgrading to Office 2016 by the end of First Quarter. Here are some awesome online training resources, and also some quick start guides for Word, Excel, and Outlook.

Multiple C-Levels in Multiple Important Meetings: I HAVE HEARD AWFUL THINGS ABOUT WINDOWS 10 WHY ARE WE SWITCHING TO WINDOWS 10 CAN I OPT OUT MY TEAM THIS IS BAD

Edit: We are in fact upgrading to Windows 10 but much later this year, and we haven't said a peep about it publicly.
Because to most people Windows is Office is Microsoft and they're all the same. Windows 10 came to prominence in 2016, thus Windows 10 is Windows 2016 is Office 2016 and I've heard it's bad and why did you take my XP away and everything was just fine until you CHANGED it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Blue_monday posted:

Edit re: texts. I have have had very few people opt out of our reminder system for appointments but every time I do I'm paranoid someone is going to complain about missing appointments

Some places for some insane reason don't separate their transactional email list opt-outs from their marketing. I had unsubscribed from emails from a shop, and as a result I never received any gift cards if someone bought me one. Took ages to figure out.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
A ticket came in:

One of our clients is getting errors in our program. I take a look and they are clearly an issue with either their servers or the network between them. I go to open a ticket with the server team and oh, look, they already have an open ticket, being handled by our most senior server tech, who told their MSP what to do and they won't do it! I am about to close my call when I get a message from the client's account manager - "Can you keep that call open for now? Are you sure it's not an application issue? They said it only started last week and they haven't changed a single thing in years and one guy noticed this one message in the log about the program getting a hangnail so maybe that's the problem?"

Flash forward a few hours and now I'm scheduled for a conference call tomorrow with the server tech, the account rep, the client company principals, the internal IT and the MSP, for a problem I can't fix and have no hand in.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

A Pinball Wizard posted:

A ticket came in:

One of our clients is getting errors in our program. I take a look and they are clearly an issue with either their servers or the network between them. I go to open a ticket with the server team and oh, look, they already have an open ticket, being handled by our most senior server tech, who told their MSP what to do and they won't do it! I am about to close my call when I get a message from the client's account manager - "Can you keep that call open for now? Are you sure it's not an application issue? They said it only started last week and they haven't changed a single thing in years and one guy noticed this one message in the log about the program getting a hangnail so maybe that's the problem?"

Flash forward a few hours and now I'm scheduled for a conference call tomorrow with the server tech, the account rep, the client company principals, the internal IT and the MSP, for a problem I can't fix and have no hand in.

Murder.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So, disappeared coworker apparently called manager a week and a half ago and said she didn't feel good and she was having a friend drive her to the hospital. Attempts to call her phone get answered but it is just silence on the other end and it hangs up after a few seconds. Hope she is OK.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Khisanth Magus posted:

So, disappeared coworker apparently called manager a week and a half ago and said she didn't feel good and she was having a friend drive her to the hospital. Attempts to call her phone get answered but it is just silence on the other end and it hangs up after a few seconds. Hope she is OK.

Sounds suspiciously like, "I got another job, but want 2 paychecks" to me (hopefully she is ok)

A Pinball Wizard posted:

A ticket came in:

Sounds like what happens once a week. Dumb poo poo breaks that I have zero control over or can prove is not an issue on my end, cue getting 1-3 other teams involved, instead of actually looking at the problem it's "Let's all schedule a meeting and talk through this"... ok that's fine except it's a waste of my time. I'll join the call, mute my phone and do real work, i will only chime in if they start to veer towards "MF_James this looks like an issue on Widget_XYZ which you control", "no assholes, look at the email I sent, I checked XYZ. Please go back to your regularly scheduled hot potato game without me."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah, I hate this hot potato crap. Got one today where it's clearly a problem connecting to internal network resources, but the customer isn't happy with that, so I had to take the time to find out what was wrong.

I really loathe being someone's free sysadmin.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Deleted all computer accounts that hadn't contacted AD in the last year. 2000 of them. I'm only sad that our ticketing system (sharepoint 2010) doesn't support bulk creation so i couldn't put one in for each object deleted and gently caress up the useless metrics everyone has been creating.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Boogalo posted:

Deleted all computer accounts that hadn't contacted AD in the last year. 2000 of them. I'm only sad that our ticketing system (sharepoint 2010) doesn't support bulk creation so i couldn't put one in for each object deleted and gently caress up the useless metrics everyone has been creating.

I never understood deleting user or computer objects. You don't really gain anything by deleting them and in the most rare of circumstances you gain something by having the old object to re-enable.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, I hate this hot potato crap. Got one today where it's clearly a problem connecting to internal network resources, but the customer isn't happy with that, so I had to take the time to find out what was wrong.

I really loathe being someone's free sysadmin.

A couple positions ago, I used to get called in to investigate issues that the customer "swears your equipment is configured wrong/interfering with poo poo/I'm just throwing poo poo and seeing what sticks" when the whatever it is they have of ours has been ticking along fine for months. I'm sorry but poo poo doesn't just suddenly stop working unless something has changed.*

It almost always boiled down to "tell me what you're trying to do, and give me the errors and that's it. I do not care what 'troubleshooting' you did". I then make someone do the thing, and packet cap EVERYTHING I can. I then go "it's not us, it's you, and here's the data to support that conclusion, have a nice day". Except nicer. The only time I spent significant time digging in was new deployments, when it probably was an issue of bad config or bad solution architecture. Those calls sucked.

* Unless it's a Cisco device with a particular clock component installed in it, apparently (according to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/clock-signal.html)

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 3, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

I never understood deleting user or computer objects. You don't really gain anything by deleting them and in the most rare of circumstances you gain something by having the old object to re-enable.
For the same reason you keep the rest of your documentation up to date.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Sickening posted:

Pretty much anything older than a year is a student who graduated or staff machine that changed hands, had OS upgraded, etc or anything else that would have changed the name. When a machine's name changes, the helpdesk is SUPPOSED to delete the old object but they never do. Yeah you should be able to rename it without removing/deleting it, but permissions aren't set up that way and i'm not in a position to change it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

Throughout the day, I was using our robodialer to update students and employees on the status of the internet through text messages since email would have been stupid. The director just called me, furious.

:mad: Were you sending text alerts today?
:confused: Yes? Is that a problem? You told me to use it to alert people about network outages.
:mad: Why didn't I receive any texts?
:confused: I'm not sure. The delivery report said that it successfully sent texts to every number that was opted in.
:mad: Well I didn't receive any and neither did [secretary]. Why?
:confused: I'm looking at your account and it says you opted out of text messages.
:mad: I used to get them, why don't I anymore?
:confused: I'm not sure. This is the first time anyone has ever used this system to send texts. You've only ever done phone calls before.
:mad: Well if it's not sending me texts then that's a problem. Make sure it's sending everyone texts!
:confused: I legitimately cannot do that. We legally can't text someone unless they opt in. Everyone got an opt-in call at the beginning of the Fall semester and I've alerted everyone several times how they can opt-in at any time.
:mad: This system isn't doing what we need it to do. Find something else for us to use. And this is part of your job description: making sure everyone is able to be contacted at all times.

So, we have to be able to intrusively and illegally contact anyone we want to at any time without their consent. Gotcha.

:suicide:

Not to mention, on many plans, text messages are a limited resource and can potentially cost users in overages, to there's that too.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
loving TYOOL 2017 and SMS is still goddamn restricted.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

CrazyLittle posted:

that's a very talented pen. can I hire it

It's very handy to have.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

flosofl posted:

A couple positions ago, I used to get called in to investigate issues that the customer "swears your equipment is configured wrong/interfering with poo poo/I'm just throwing poo poo and seeing what sticks" when the whatever it is they have of ours has been ticking along fine for months. I'm sorry but poo poo doesn't just suddenly stop working unless something has changed.*

It almost always boiled down to "tell me what you're trying to do, and give me the errors and that's it. I do not care what 'troubleshooting' you did". I then make someone do the thing, and packet cap EVERYTHING I can. I then go "it's not us, it's you, and here's the data to support that conclusion, have a nice day". Except nicer. The only time I spent significant time digging in was new deployments, when it probably was an issue of bad config or bad solution architecture. Those calls sucked.

* Unless it's a Cisco device with a particular clock component installed in it, apparently (according to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/clock-signal.html)

We have to replace a couple routers and ASAs cause of this. loving Christ.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Khisanth Magus posted:

Naturally your manager asked the police to perform a wellness check since you cannot actually reach this person, right? It's possible that whoever is picking up is not her.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

Naturally your manager asked the police to perform a wellness check since you cannot actually reach this person, right? It's possible that whoever is picking up is not her.
Or whoever they designated as their emergency contact when they were hired.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
He contacted HR about it so they can figure out what should be done about the situation, not sure what they have done.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Which doubly sucks as it was a hack using otherwise unutilized space.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I doubt I could go a day of unexplained absence from my job without my co-workers or managers making serious enquiries about my well being and safety. Let alone two weeks.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Varkk posted:

I doubt I could go a day of unexplained absence from my job without my co-workers or managers making serious enquiries about my well being and safety. Let alone two weeks.

Hell, I am so known for reliability at my job, I have one coworker that will call me if I am not there 15 minutes BEFORE my shift. (Not my boss, a coworker.)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Well, at least you guys wouldn't be a rotting corpse before anyone found ya. Samizdata might even be able to survive :v:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I would never be found.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Samizdata posted:

Not to mention, on many plans, text messages are a limited resource and can potentially cost users in overages, to there's that too.
:psyboom: People in the US still have to pay for receiving calls and texts?

e: Not to be all eurosmug but pretty much every operator here has gone to completely free calls and texts, and just have a fixed monthly cost based on your data cap (I'm paying about $45/mo for a 50GB data cap), and the EU recently passed legalisation that removes roaming fees within the EU from June 15 this year.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 3, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Caveat textor.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Aztec posted:

The problem is its so cheap in reality, if it wasn't restricted phones would be getting spammed to oblivion I'd imagine.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Re: IIS webserver setup:

"Ideally php installation should be done via the Bamboo job, can this be done?
I spoke with <solutions architect> and we agreed that the Bamboo job should include the installation of application components which includes php. The Bamboo service account will have local admin rights on the IIS servers."

Discuss.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure you can do that without local admin rights, just give the service account the right permissions in IIS.

e: It's actually one of my pet peeves. People who really should know better who say "Oh just make it local admin" whenever a user or service needs more than the bare minimum of rights.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 3, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Collateral Damage posted:

e: Not to be all eurosmug but pretty much every operator here has gone to completely free calls and texts, and just have a fixed monthly cost based on your data cap (I'm paying about $45/mo for a 50GB data cap), and the EU recently passed legalisation that removes roaming fees within the EU from June 15 this year.

Pay as you go carriers (I used Tracfone until about 2011) charge something like 1/3 of a minute to open texts. You can see who they're from for free but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Collateral Damage posted:

US monthly plans are like that too, but a lot of people (usually the ones whose income and credit mean they can't get monthly plans) have prepaid plans that charge per minute and per text.

• Locked thread