Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Haroshia posted:

Been watching streamers play this and it looks pretty neat. I tend to shy away from these type of games but I'm a huge Conan lore fanboy. Saw the OP and the OP of the BMW website. Are Goons just using their Discord or am I expected to abide by "TRU GOON KULTURE" :godwinning: when playing with other Goons that aren't really Goons?

I think people here are just gagging at gnats. We play Conan and we shitpost. You can do either. Nothing required except the killing of mans.

e; vvvvvvvvv all the above

Taylor Swift fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I just want to know what I need to do, get a maga tattoo? Do I have to rush like a frat? Eat a grape out of someone's rear end?

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love Conan stuff and have heard enough about Funcom to give this a shot, also my first survival genre anything.

It took a while to get used to combat in the third person view but I think I got it now. Lots to do apparently given the tech unlocks. There are bugs of course but the core systems all seem solid and in place, good point for the devs to build on.

I got sucked into 3-4 hour sessions both last night and the night before. Haven't had a game do that for me in a long time. It did a good job (to me) of settling in a feeling of desperation as you're getting started and trying to figure out what you're supposed to do while not dying of thirst or starving, though once you realize you start off with quite a few basic unlocks and you're not really in such dire straits, it takes away from that somewhat. I'm sure people who have played other games like this would figure it out much more quickly.

The only thing I've found that I don't like is placing objects seems permanent, or at least if there's a way to move certain things (boxes, campfire, sleeping mat etc) I haven't figured it out. You put it down it's there forever unless you deconstruct it. On top of that building component order seems to make a difference but I had to figure it out through trial and error, wasting time and resources in the process.

And I finally killed one of those goddamn crocodiles last night, felt good.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The last time I joined an un-PC discord they started ranting about ghetto names and how black siblings don't have the same last name and then called a black dude who tried to rob a pizza Hut employee a friend of the family twice. Is the discord that Un-PC or is it like, not full of racists?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Buschmaki posted:

The last time I joined an un-PC discord they started ranting about ghetto names and how black siblings don't have the same last name and then called a black dude who tried to rob a pizza Hut employee a friend of the family twice. Is the discord that Un-PC or is it like, not full of racists?

This all seems to be in line with Conan lore.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Filipino Freakout posted:

The only thing I've found that I don't like is placing objects seems permanent, or at least if there's a way to move certain things (boxes, campfire, sleeping mat etc) I haven't figured it out. You put it down it's there forever unless you deconstruct it. On top of that building component order seems to make a difference but I had to figure it out through trial and error, wasting time and resources in the process.

Same. I sort of have no clue what I'm doing but I've had a ton of fun figuring it out on my own. I managed to build a little house somewhere on a random coast before learning how to even make a storage box which made everything more difficult. I've had a few people running around the outside of my house and I have no idea if I leave a door open if they can come inside and murder me. I also had a random turtle on steroids all of a sudden trying to break down my door which scared the poo poo out of me but was also cool.Not to mention a giant rhino staring at me outside of my window but had no interest in me or destroying my garbage shelter. I do see potential here, but then again I buy every survival game that comes out :/

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Buschmaki posted:

There's a German or two in there

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Went on a server with 5x rates, I think that might be overtuned. I went through the effort to get a spear and then raided several bases before I got chumped in a lag fight. It's a fun game but it's gonna have to fix the stability issues if I'm gonna keep playing it, I'll check back in a week.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Some info about building strength update coming soon.

quote:

Hey all, we’ve seen a lot of feedback regarding this topic, and we know this matters a lot to you all. We wanted to let you all know that we’re aware of your concerns about raiding, and the effect that advanced weapons have on structures. We have a lot of ideas on how we want to approach balance in Conan Exiles, and we’re going to be rolling out many different iterations and changes as we progress through Early Access.

Tomorrow, we’re going to begin this process by first effectively “shifting” Tier 1 and Tier 2 building defenses up one notch, making Tier 1 buildings require Steel weapons to harm, and making Tier 2 buildings immune to all but explosive damage. Tier 3 buildings remain unchanged.

We’re also going to be experimenting with turning steel itself into a more valuable resource, making powerful steel weapons more of a rarity in the game world.

Finally, we’re looking into making arrows deal no damage to structures. This is currently in testing, and it feels pretty good, so expect this to be included with the rest of the changes.

This is just the beginning of the Early Access balancing act, and we’re going to be keeping a close eye out on how you all adapt to these changes and other adjustments we make as new features are introduced.

Naturally, we’re still working on fixes and solutions to popular community concerns such as lag, server connections, and game stability during this time. As always, your feedback is incredibly important to us, so please let us know how these changes feel once they go live. Thanks, everyone!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

That's pretty impressive they fixed rubber banding with one patch

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The dev team seems fairly responsive and engaged. Since release they've done what 2 or 3 patches that have actually fixed poo poo? Could this be the promised EA title legends foretold that actually sees a release?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Arrows doing no structure damage makes sense. You'd have to fire every arrow in the world at once to knock over a sandstone wall with some basic masonry.

The latest patch made the game a gorillion times better. Every animal with wreck your shop if you aren't careful and the framerate issues have largely been resolved.
It still freaks out for a minute any time I respawn but that's not too bad.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

That's pretty impressive they fixed rubber banding with one patch

It's totally fixed? Because their fix seemed related to big buildings causing lag and there were no big buildings at the start. Plus they said it was caused by multiple things. Well, good!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Now they just need to make it so you don't regen health while being attacked so combat isn't just benny hill.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GoGoGadget posted:

It's totally fixed? Because their fix seemed related to big buildings causing lag and there were no big buildings at the start. Plus they said it was caused by multiple things. Well, good!

It's not 100% but it's WAYYYYYY better. I'm very impressed.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ideally now they can start making changes so that servers can handle more than 40 people. Then the real sperg begins. :getin:

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Taylor Swift posted:

Ideally now they can start making changes so that servers can handle more than 40 people. Then the real sperg begins. :getin:

So are we moving off the bugged pvp blitz server then so we can start leveling up on our real target?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Bleh, Official Serer #33 where I practiced my pve baby steps is down since the patch. In case goons start over somewhere else I might join the pvp madness.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone know if you can take thralls with you? Like if you have enough could you lead a thrall army against an enemy base?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

I just want to know what I need to do, get a maga tattoo? Do I have to rush like a frat? Eat a grape out of someone's rear end?

I've been on the discord for two days and have only heard dick jokes.

So I guess if dangling dongs trigger you...

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

They trigger me alright....:parrot:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
The lingering issue (that Rust had as well) is that currently you can't be AFK'ed off a server. Which means the pubbie poopsockers are NEVER logging off their servers to ensure that no one else can hop on and poopsock harder than they poopsock.

Between this, and the bug that allowed recipe exploiting, full wipes are inevitable. When this happens, I theorize, the real poopsocking begins. If you want to do some HELPFUL TEAMWORK THINGS now, check Discord. There is work to be done. :wooper:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Glenn Quebec posted:

rear end grape spelunking is optional but encouraged

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kimsemus posted:

HELPFUL TEAMWORK THINGS

This is something that really needs to be known.

This game isnt like Rust, there is no "oh just hop on and grab some swords and kill mans". This game actually requires farming, grinding, knowing the game mechanics. If you just want to jump in, you'll get hellowned immediately.

So spend some time this week before we start REAL SPERG HOURS learning the game and jerking off with other Goons.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Physics enabled dongs and thick thatches of barbarian puss pubes. :getin:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Inzombiac posted:

It's not 100% but it's WAYYYYYY better. I'm very impressed.

When you realize the game is developed by FunCom it becomes even more impressive.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Kimsemus posted:

The lingering issue (that Rust had as well) is that currently you can't be AFK'ed off a server. Which means the pubbie poopsockers are NEVER logging off their servers to ensure that no one else can hop on and poopsock harder than they poopsock.

Between this, and the bug that allowed recipe exploiting, full wipes are inevitable. When this happens, I theorize, the real poopsocking begins. If you want to do some HELPFUL TEAMWORK THINGS now, check Discord. There is work to be done. :wooper:
Wouldn't you Starve/ die of thirst?

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Harminoff posted:

Wouldn't you Starve/ die of thirst?

You'd still be online though

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Ah yeah that makes sense. Well the devs are pretty responses so if you request it I'm sure they would consider it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just checked Steam DB 41,738 in game currently. I think this game is doing well.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Popete posted:

Just checked Steam DB 41,738 in game currently. I think this game is doing well.

It actually seems to be pretty good. I farted around solo on a private server for a few hours last night with just 1x rates to see what the game felt like. I'm sure I'd get bored after the cloth armor dirt farmer stage at those rates, but the curve from crucified in the desert to a little hut under an ancient bridge on the river felt pretty fun. And most importantly, fun to get to. Once you find a spot near water and a couple of turtle monster nests you're doing pretty good for food and hide and water, and can start ranging around and getting killed by exile npcs's camped on the river bank.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Is there a decent start up guide somewhere? 50 stones seems like a lot for what amounts to a single square I'm gonna need to put down like 20+ of. Also, do the server settings take place after you hit apply or do you need to quit out and then start the game back up?

I'm messing around in single-player and like it so far, but I get killed by everything but the Danny Devitos. I might suck at combat though. I'm literally just trading blows with an ax because I can't find twine to make a sword.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So good news: most of the rubber banding is pretty much gone!

Bad news: Most of the rubber banding is gone! The rubber banding had an unintended side effect of making wild life easier. Instead of them constantly attacking where you were, which made circle strafing super useful, they now attack where you are. poo poo you handled with no issue before will KICK YOUR rear end now. Learn to block and use shields or your rear end will be barbaric large dong having grass. Gonna be funny watching all these suckers who set up houses by shaleback nest's for easy food and hide get their poo poo wrecked

Saxophone posted:

I'm literally just trading blows with an ax because I can't find twine to make a sword.

You have a recipe for twine in your recipe list :ssh: it takes only three plant fiber for one

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

NeurosisHead posted:

Once you find a spot near water and a couple of turtle monster nests you're doing pretty good for food and hide and water

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Gonna be funny watching all these suckers who set up houses by shaleback nest's for easy food and hide get their poo poo wrecked
:saddowns:

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

how can i block if I have a 2 handed hammer thing? when do i block and when do i strike in combat?

also is there a trick to combat that I'm not getting? like a way to roll or dodge

also whoever called those swamp things Danny Devitos made me lmao

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saxophone posted:

Is there a decent start up guide somewhere? 50 stones seems like a lot for what amounts to a single square I'm gonna need to put down like 20+ of. Also, do the server settings take place after you hit apply or do you need to quit out and then start the game back up?

I'm messing around in single-player and like it so far, but I get killed by everything but the Danny Devitos. I might suck at combat though. I'm literally just trading blows with an ax because I can't find twine to make a sword.

The whole crafting and recipes thing took me a bit, in your inventory the stuff on the right is what you can craft and you start out being able to make the basics, twine being one of those like was said.

edit: oops it's the first recipe you unlock but still, available immediately

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

also is there a trick to combat that I'm not getting? like a way to roll or dodge

I don't know about two-handers and blocking but if you are sidestepping or walking backwards pressing Shift does a quick dodge jump.

Filipino Freakout fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 3, 2017

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Is there a way to rebind the dodge to double tap on A/S/D? It works great on low ping servers for dodging the turtle slams but before the rubber band fix it would sometimes dodge you into attacks at the last second.

As for blocking with the 2handers, you get a shove attack that knocks back smaller enemies and can stagger them out of attack animations but it's no good against bigger things. Sword with the 2nd tier shield is much easier for me than the maul, shame I can't offhand the Yog axe.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
The weapon/building rebalance patch just downloaded.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm really impressed with the rapid patching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Theyve fixed more core mechanics and gameplay aspects in 48 hours than Garry Newman has in over a year.

• Locked thread