Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The Ralph impression sucked and was unfunny but I do love hearing the stories about how he stole 100 dollars or threw up at Howards house. I get the feeling that everyone hates Ralph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I forget if I or someone else posted it here but if you want to hear Artie being funny recently he was on a podcast with Jim Norton, Anthony Cumia and some other guy I've never heard of who had a mental breakdown and it was fantastic. Those 3 are loving funny.

Edit: I think I just posted it in the o&a thread https://youtu.be/tT1H-3L86jo

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Is this Mario person an actual child, or does he have Andy Milonakis syndrome or something? I'm having trouble imagining parents who would allow their child to spend any amount of time with Artie for any reason.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Andy Milonakis syndrome or something

That one.
https://www.google.com/#q=mario+bosco

He's pretty annoying. At least Artie always rips on him.

beep by grandpa posted:

I forget if I or someone else posted it here but if you want to hear Artie being funny recently he was on a podcast with Jim Norton, Anthony Cumia and some other guy I've never heard of who had a mental breakdown and it was fantastic. Those 3 are loving funny.

Edit: I think I just posted it in the o&a thread https://youtu.be/tT1H-3L86jo

The two recent podcast episodes Artie had with Jackie are also hilarious, because most of the time they make fun of Stuttering John running for Senate.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Holy poo poo! I thought that was an actual kid in the studio with Artie.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BobbyK posted:

The Ralph impression sucked and was unfunny but I do love hearing the stories about how he stole 100 dollars or threw up at Howards house. I get the feeling that everyone hates Ralph.

I laughed at the at times thinly veiled, at times outright blatant accusations about Ralph's sexuality and how that plays into his relationship with Howard, and any evidence that may exist of it that is used as blackmail.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I also just got the part where Artie is making GBS threads on Adam Carolla and that's pretty funny.

"He's the Lou Gehrig of podcasting. Maybe he'll die of Adam Corlla's disease"

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I laughed when he was making jokes about his movie Beer League. He even made some guy's obituary funny.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
I love that his collar isn't even buttoned to his shirt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wqiUgR3xAc

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm pretty sure the Ralph stealing $100 thing made it on Stern when it happened, but I never heard about the barf in the drying thing. There was that one story about Artie giving him $300 in "emergency cash" to get back to Howard's house only to have him catch a ride back to his own apartment and pocket the money.

But man, Artie is so bitter. He has already burned so many bridges and it just seems like he is out to burn more. Obviously the Stern show is torched (though I am curious what happens with Judd Apatow), but he riffs on Sam Simon in hell, talks poo poo about Kimmel and Carolla, etc. You tell he really wants to rail on Kimmel, but always backs off because he wants to continue to be an occasional guest.

BobbyK posted:

I also just got the part where Artie is making GBS threads on Adam Carolla and that's pretty funny.

"He's the Lou Gehrig of podcasting. Maybe he'll die of Adam Corlla's disease"

And the message he left did make me laugh out loud...

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Lifespan posted:

..but I never heard about the barf in the drying thing.

That did come up on the Stern show before. Ralph accidentally ran his bike into a car and hurt his head. He stayed at Howard's house that weekend and threw up in his bed. Rather than tell anyone, he just put the blankets in the dryer. Howard said they found bits of regurgitated food inside of the dryer.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

That did come up on the Stern show before. Ralph accidentally ran his bike into a car and hurt his head. He stayed at Howard's house that weekend and threw up in his bed. Rather than tell anyone, he just put the blankets in the dryer. Howard said they found bits of regurgitated food inside of the dryer.

I thought it was the maid and he was drinking.

And yeah I remember the story of Ralph stealing the tip from when they went out to dinner.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Yeah this was it, although Ralphiecakes tried to deflect with the supposed head injury from a week prior.

Also, this got Ralph banned from the Hamptons house, which he did not take well.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Lifespan posted:

I'm pretty sure the Ralph stealing $100 thing made it on Stern when it happened, but I never heard about the barf in the drying thing. There was that one story about Artie giving him $300 in "emergency cash" to get back to Howard's house only to have him catch a ride back to his own apartment and pocket the money.

But man, Artie is so bitter. He has already burned so many bridges and it just seems like he is out to burn more. Obviously the Stern show is torched (though I am curious what happens with Judd Apatow), but he riffs on Sam Simon in hell, talks poo poo about Kimmel and Carolla, etc. You tell he really wants to rail on Kimmel, but always backs off because he wants to continue to be an occasional guest.

And the message he left did make me laugh out loud...

Artie believes Sam did some really heinous thing to him. I can't recall the details so someone else will fill you in but even if you think Artie is lying it's still probably true because Sam was well known for being an enormous piece of poo poo. Like a true blue, dyed in the wool piece of poo poo. And whatever happened soured Artie forever on Sam and the likelihood of Sam making morbid comments about Artie's death is also very plausible. Some people just don't get along :shrug:

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Bonzo posted:

And yeah I remember the story of Ralph stealing the tip from when they went out to dinner.

Ralph described it as some horrible accident but the reality was nothing was wrong and he went to the hospital same day and nothing was found and he went to Howard's the next day and ate poorly and puked. It was Ralph being Ralph.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Everybody ralphs from time to time.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
From what I remember and according to Artie: During the depths of Arties addiction Sam sent him a script where one of the parts was a depressed loser junkie and told Artie he would be perfect for that part.

I think that's what Artie said, forget where I heard it though I think it was one of the first youtube videos where Artie opens up about post-Howard days. I think it was the same video where he talks about thinking he knocked a chick up and almost had a kid but it turned out she lost the pregnancy?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Ah, I do remember him talking about the script thing in the early days of his podcast. It didn't sound quite as bad as he made it out to be, but oh well.

Also, Steve Brandadino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJbbIVDx_KY&t=390s

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

BobbyK posted:

From what I remember and according to Artie: During the depths of Arties addiction Sam sent him a script where one of the parts was a depressed loser junkie and told Artie he would be perfect for that part.

I think that's what Artie said, forget where I heard it though I think it was one of the first youtube videos where Artie opens up about post-Howard days. I think it was the same video where he talks about thinking he knocked a chick up and almost had a kid but it turned out she lost the pregnancy?

Wasn't that Sam guy a Simpsons writer who died in the last couple years? He did it as a joke and as thanks for it Artie dedicated that creepy as hell multi-page manifesto of "I hope you die, I hate you, I hate what you did to me, you know what you did" freak out at the end of his first book to him in 100% seriousness? Cause :stare:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

beep by grandpa posted:

Wasn't that Sam guy a Simpsons writer who died in the last couple years? He did it as a joke and as thanks for it Artie dedicated that creepy as hell multi-page manifesto of "I hope you die, I hate you, I hate what you did to me, you know what you did" freak out at the end of his first book to him in 100% seriousness? Cause :stare:

Sam played jokes on people like you taking a magnifying glass to an ant is a joke to the ant. Sam was a mean, spiteful person and Artie's encounter with him wasn't some weird one-off of Sam's usually bright and happy personality. Sam was a miserable person and his "gently caress you" money enabled his "gently caress you" outlook on life. His misanthropy was a stark but real contrast to his love of animals.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Bonzo posted:

Ralph stole a loving tip from a waiter/waitress? What an unimaginable lowlife.

Also I know Joe Buck is hated more than Hitler in some circles, but holy poo poo he was great on the show the other day. Him announcing JD's breakfast had me fuckin' dying in the car.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 2, 2017

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Sam has a creator credit on The Simpsons. It always sounded to me based on his own stories that he was more of a well-connected producer who helped Matt get his show on Fox from The Tracey Ullman show. I mean Matt Groening created all the characters and came up with all the illustrations and whatnot. I always hated whenever Sam called in or got brought up on the air Howard would introduce him as "the creator of The Simpsons." Sam had a pretty nice career in the 80s for sure with Taxi and Cheers, but The Simpsons is Matt Groening's show.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

Sam has a creator credit on The Simpsons. It always sounded to me based on his own stories that he was more of a well-connected producer who helped Matt get his show on Fox from The Tracey Ullman show. I mean Matt Groening created all the characters and came up with all the illustrations and whatnot. I always hated whenever Sam called in or got brought up on the air Howard would introduce him as "the creator of The Simpsons." Sam had a pretty nice career in the 80s for sure with Taxi and Cheers, but The Simpsons is Matt Groening's show.

Sam deserves a huge portion of credit for helping to shape The Simpsons into the show it became in the early years, the part of the show we all look back fondly on was due in large part to him as the creative voice behind the show. It's certainly Groening's baby but Sam played an enormous role in raising it (as did James L. Brooks).

Like, the seasons he worked on and drove the show as a creative force were 3 (or 4 if you really liked season 1) of the top 7-8 seasons on a show approaching 30 seasons. Season 4 alone is probably the best season of comedic television ever.

Sam was an enormous douche nobody liked but his contributions to TV and to The Simpsons in particular were enormous.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've always loved this argument, and never tire of it.
I agree with Crotch Bat.

I think the issue is how you define creator. Since a lot goes into making a TV show, let alone a cartoon, I think you need to take a very expansive view of "creator".

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 3, 2017

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

haljordan posted:

Yep. That's part of his charm. He is a blatant, lowlife moocher. It's like his thing. Robin loves to take him out to dinner.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Crotch Bat posted:

Sam played jokes on people like you taking a magnifying glass to an ant is a joke to the ant. Sam was a mean, spiteful person and Artie's encounter with him wasn't some weird one-off of Sam's usually bright and happy personality. Sam was a miserable person and his "gently caress you" money enabled his "gently caress you" outlook on life. His misanthropy was a stark but real contrast to his love of animals.

Not that I don't believe you but do you have any sources or stories about this? It sounds really interesting. The only thing I know about Sam is he's connected to the simpsons and he let Ralph hang out with him. Bating a solid .500 there.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

BobbyK posted:

Not that I don't believe you but do you have any sources or stories about this? It sounds really interesting. The only thing I know about Sam is he's connected to the simpsons and he let Ralph hang out with him. Bating a solid .500 there.

It's all word of mouth stuff I've read or heard over the years. 2 ex-wives, poker players disliked him, he left The Simpsons early because he couldn't get along with Brooks, Groening, and others. He wasn't a happy person and the theory, as I said earlier, was that the absurd amount of money he got from The Simpsons to basically not be there anymore allowed him to just be the biggest dick because he didn't need work anymore. He knew this and he acted on it.

He's probably no more of an rear end in a top hat than someone you've worked with in life but imagine that person with so much money that no threat of bridge burning could ever rein them in and make them at least passable as a coworker, someone that knows they're an rear end in a top hat and who likes being an rear end in a top hat and who knows the amount of money they have makes them impervious to repercussions from being an rear end in a top hat. That was Sam.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Ralph stealing money: didn't he also steal when they were on a private plane playing poker or something? He lifted it right off the table or something.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Kelly posted:

Ralph stealing money: didn't he also steal when they were on a private plane playing poker or something? He lifted it right off the table or something.

Yep. One of them, I believe it was the tip fortunately, he was caught and tried to play it off like a joke or something and he put the money back. I believe on the plane he just stole it and people saw it and chose to stay quiet about it for whatever reason.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

the top google result for 'sam simon is an rear end in a top hat' posted:

Working with cartoonist Matt Groening, producer James L. Brooks, and a boatful of others, Simon was as responsible as anyone for the unique "Simpsons" sensibility, that combination of gleeful impudence and populist courtesy, which has made the show a pillar of global pop culture. Yet Simon’s tenure at the show lasted only its first four seasons, from 1989 to 1993. A tumultuous battle with Groening over the show's direction and its acclaim marked his brief but groundbreaking stint.

Whereas Groening’s approach to art was personal, Simon’s genius was recognizing the need for a grander stage than the skeletal backdrop of "Life in Hell" and the early "Simpsons" shorts. Simon brought the mentality of a "Taxi"- or "Cheers"-style ensemble cast to "The Simpsons," and built a world around them. A typical non-animated sitcom is severely limited in its background: the characters keep shuffling around in the same living rooms and bedrooms. It was Simon’s insight that animation allowed "The Simpsons" to sprawl across a vast canvas, illustrating new locations and inventing characters through the multifold voice talents of the cast. The Springfield the Simpsons inhabit is a mini-world on to itself, with its own rich mythology and history. Without Simon's vision, Homer might not be a regular among the sad-sacks at Moe's Tavern or have a delightful fiend like Mr. Burns as a boss. Bart might have only his sister and father as foils instead of Principal Skinner, Rod and Todd Flanders, and Comic Book Guy.

In running the writing staff, Simon could be a grueling taskmaster, as borne out by many accounts in John Ortved’s The Simpsons: An Uncensored, Unauthorized History. “Sam’s basically an rear end in a top hat—whom I adore,” his assistant Daria Paris told Ortved. Simon all but confessed as much to Vanity Fair: “In the pressure cooker of a TV show, it’s a little bit of a witches’ brew. I completely think I’m capable of being crazy. I probably was crazy when I was doing 'The Simpsons'.” Yet for all of Simon’s abusiveness, he was loved by almost all the writers who he worked with, who are often the most eloquent advocates for his centrality in the show's creation.

The next five results are variations of reports about Artie saying he hated him. I don't recall exactly why Artie hates him because they're all links to the now-gone youtube of Artie saying why.

To me it seems like these people who would know are saying that the Simpsons wouldn't have existed in anywhere near the form it exists now without Sam Simon and I don't really see a lot of evidence he was that much more of an rear end in a top hat than any successful person who doesn't tolerate mediocrity in an industry with zero room for complacency.

Sam also wrote this line, for which I feel he is deserved much forgiveness for everything else:
Montgomery Burns: "This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you."

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 3, 2017

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Artie misinterpreting something and lashing out unfairly is par for the course. At least Artie never tried to physically attack Sam like he did to Sal, Teddy, Gary, that cop in LA...

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Nice job following Shannon sharpe at the playboy mansion

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
I am going to throw in my 2 cents on a few of these topics

Most all of those Ralph stories about him taking money are all pretty close to 100%
The 4 main instances that I remember are as follows
1-Plane to Vegas, gang is playing Poker on a table. Ralph accused of taking money out of the pot.
2-Ralph gets hosed up in the Hamptons with the guys. Artie for some reason feels obligated to give him 300 for the Jitney or a cab or whatever. Ralph makes it home. The next day Artie has his driver hand deliver Ralph a bag he left in the Hamptons. Ralph proceeded to tip the driver 5 bucks and even though he had talked to Artie earlier and knew he had given him the money, Ralph didnt mention it or try to give it back to Artie...FYI Ralph claimed he got the Jitney back, which at last recollection cost $30
3-Taking money from waitress/strippers at scores. Ronnie actually called him out on this a few times. He would scoop up funny money and then cash it back in later.
4-Bubbas wedding...accused of possibly taking cards containing money from the gift table at the reception. Denied it and was ultimately correct when Hammel came forward as the one who caused the table to collapse and some of the cards getting lost

Sam Simon. Obviously I am a Simpsons person and I agree completely about the seasons that Sam was actively involved in being some of the most influential seasons of the Simpsons and animated comedy in general.....BUT yeah, but all accounts he is an rear end in a top hat and most stand ups HATE him.
Again, thats just word on the street but there is some evidence out there...even on the stern show. Find the interview with Dave Attell and Artie talking about filming Sam Simons poker show. You can tell Dave isnt too thrilled with man either.

Edit-
Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwGr2IAm7GU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

haljordan posted:

Also I know Joe Buck is hated more than Hitler in some circles, but holy poo poo he was great on the show the other day. Him announcing JD's breakfast had me fuckin' dying in the car.

If you hate, or even have an opinion on, Joe Buck. Check out his appearance(s) on the Pardon My Take podcast. Much more likeable than i ever thought he'd be

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I am going to throw in my 2 cents on a few of these topics

Most all of those Ralph stories about him taking money are all pretty close to 100%
The 4 main instances that I remember are as follows
1-Plane to Vegas, gang is playing Poker on a table. Ralph accused of taking money out of the pot.
2-Ralph gets hosed up in the Hamptons with the guys. Artie for some reason feels obligated to give him 300 for the Jitney or a cab or whatever. Ralph makes it home. The next day Artie has his driver hand deliver Ralph a bag he left in the Hamptons. Ralph proceeded to tip the driver 5 bucks and even though he had talked to Artie earlier and knew he had given him the money, Ralph didnt mention it or try to give it back to Artie...FYI Ralph claimed he got the Jitney back, which at last recollection cost $30
3-Taking money from waitress/strippers at scores. Ronnie actually called him out on this a few times. He would scoop up funny money and then cash it back in later.
4-Bubbas wedding...accused of possibly taking cards containing money from the gift table at the reception. Denied it and was ultimately correct when Hammel came forward as the one who caused the table to collapse and some of the cards getting lost

Sam Simon. Obviously I am a Simpsons person and I agree completely about the seasons that Sam was actively involved in being some of the most influential seasons of the Simpsons and animated comedy in general.....BUT yeah, but all accounts he is an rear end in a top hat and most stand ups HATE him.
Again, thats just word on the street but there is some evidence out there...even on the stern show. Find the interview with Dave Attell and Artie talking about filming Sam Simons poker show. You can tell Dave isnt too thrilled with man either.

Edit-
Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwGr2IAm7GU

I love Dave Attell, so I'm willing to believe Sam Simon was a dick. Kind of a shame, but a lot of creative people were terrible assholes, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

edit: Hey, let's talk about something cheerful instead.

https://twitter.com/cwotd/status/827505805536669697

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 3, 2017

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

A poster on reddit has a conspiracy theory that celebrities are avoiding appearing on THSS because of his association with Trump. Not necessarily agreeing with it, but it's interesting that there have been only two celebrity interviews in the last three weeks of shows, and one was Joe Buck (the use of the word "celebrity" might be a bit of a stretch here). Up until recently, it was rare to have a day when there was not at least one interview.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh good we will get some wingbowl audio .

Those are always funny

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/howard-stern-claims-donald-trump-wants-hillary-clinton-to-be-president-165254904.html

Looks like Ralph picked out Beth's clothes in that picture.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Howard goofing on olde time DJs and recounting all his crappy memories of WNBC is always gold. I could listen to a four hour show like that.

That and Howard doing the impression of his parents.

:jewish: Who's that on the phone?
:witch: Howard.
:jewish:Who?
:witch: It's Howard!
:jewish:..........WHO?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I love your choice of emoticons for his parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny-on-the-Spot