Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Throatwarbler posted:

He could just park the van in a Walmart and use their toilet facilities, and/or join a 24 hour gym for shower facilities. He can also lift weights too.

Getting swole while being prole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

He could just park the van in a Walmart and use their toilet facilities, and/or join a 24 hour gym for shower facilities. He can also lift weights too.

this is incredible, it sounds like you've got it all figured out. he should also start a youtube channel explaining how he hacked the system to bypass the need for a home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVCTLPNUzo

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

this is incredible, it sounds like you've got it all figured out. he should also start a youtube channel explaining how he hacked the system to bypass the need for a home.

Who wants to spend van or storage locker money? Check his other video for the true MicroHabitation solution, living out of a Honda Civic!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLA2hTuXLig

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Damnnnn

Looks like Rime mashed_penguin's coworker needs to step up to the next level

e: sorry Rime, maybe you're already planning to get to that level. I didn't mean to presume.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 2, 2017

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Son, you ain't gettin laid in this town without a1000$/sq. ft. microcondo.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I lived out of a Subaru Forester for a couple weeks, it wasn't the worst but the guys who seriously claim that living in a Prius or something is comfortable are pretty much insane IMO.

A van, in the other hand, is a nice mobile apartment. If you give no fucks about what other people think of you life is much more fun.

Rime fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 2, 2017

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

I've slept 3 people and a dog in a minivan before, but that was a camping over a 4 day weekend and not especially comfortable for anyone. Also we piled everything but the food outside overnight so not exactly a "stealth camper."
Still, nice to know I have a "plan B" for when mortgage rates shoot up 1000% and everyone loses their house to foreclosure.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Square Peg posted:

I've slept 3 people and a dog in a minivan before, but that was a camping over a 4 day weekend and not especially comfortable for anyone. Also we piled everything but the food outside overnight so not exactly a "stealth camper."
Still, nice to know I have a "plan B" for when mortgage rates shoot up 1000% and everyone loses their house to foreclosure.

Plan B for when that happens is money in the bank to buy those sweet foreclosure deals.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

Plan B for when that happens is money in the bank to buy those sweet foreclosure deals.

This. If valuations drop 50% (not in yvr) the time to buy is now.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

Money in the bank? You mean a HELOC? I'm a Canadian I don't understand these words you say.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lol if you think our dipshits politicians aren't going to bail homeowners out

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

Lol if you think our dipshits politicians aren't going to bail homeowners out

middle class Canadians worked hard for their equity, we're all going to pull together to do what's best for hard working middle class families. middle class

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Damnnnn

Looks like Rime mashed_penguin's coworker needs to step up to the next level

e: sorry Rime, maybe you're already planning to get to that level. I didn't mean to presume.

We have a gym at work and he used to shower there. At night he would go and park beside a park that didn't lock their public toilets. If there was no space there he went to a few spots in industrial areas and used the camp toilet and or piss jar and or the bushes.

He doesn't work here any more so I can't check if he knew the ways of walmart vanlyfe. His van wasn't a proper camper or anything it was like a contractors panel van that he had modified with plywood and bits of ikea furniture.

Like I said it made me want to abandon my mortgage immediately. The freedom was inoxicating.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some people see being homeless as a burden, but I see it as a freedom. Why cage what nature intended to be free? You, who has to be restricted in everything you do... cooking in one room, sleeping in another, pissing in a third... you don't really know what freedom is. Freedom is being able to eat anywhere you like. Food is everywhere around you! People even throw out perfectly good food! Freedom is being able to sleep anywhere you like. One night maybe under the bridge, the next night maybe on the heated air grate! The entire world is your bedroom! Freedom is being able to piss and poo poo anywhere you like. Feel like taking a dump? Why wait to find a bathroom, just go right there in the street. Do this, and you too will know true freedom.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's funny that a lot of the exact same language people use to sell living in a van or a portable micro home is the same sort of language they try to sell us on the gig economy too. It's like all about freedom and not being tied down and experiences rather than things. Stability is stifling and boring.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I make fun of stupid people who think vans are a substitute homes, but I do think there's a real problem with the idea that you need a 2000 sq ft home. We all take up far too much physical space in NA, and it's gotten a lot worse in the last twenty or thirty years. It's absolutely powered by a consumerist mentality that we just need to keep buying crap, and that we need space to put said crap into. It's gross, and moving away from that mentality is actually a really good thing.

The idea of building your own micro home is also a really good thing, from the perspective of the experience you gain by building something like that with your own two hands. It's just unrealistic to expect people to be able to do that while also maintaining the standards we've reasonably come to expect buildings to adhere to.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hey next time you have a brainwave don't post it ok

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
If micro lofts like those hipster conversions down in Gastown were a lot more common, and renting for $300-$500 a month, I'd happily snap one up. Hell, I'd jump to buy one if they were less than $70k and I'm sure there's plenty of 20-something freespirited bachelors/ettes who feel the same.

Indebting myself for life on the other hand, or continuing to support some rentier-class boomer parasites? Nah, fuuuuuck that.

Leaving my choices: A. Convert a van that I can bring with me as I move for work. B. Cycle through lovely short-term roommate flop houses whenever I'm back in the country between contracts. :shrug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rime fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 11, 2021

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jordan7hm posted:

I make fun of stupid people who think vans are a substitute homes, but I do think there's a real problem with the idea that you need a 2000 sq ft home. We all take up far too much physical space in NA, and it's gotten a lot worse in the last twenty or thirty years. It's absolutely powered by a consumerist mentality that we just need to keep buying crap, and that we need space to put said crap into. It's gross, and moving away from that mentality is actually a really good thing.

The idea of building your own micro home is also a really good thing, from the perspective of the experience you gain by building something like that with your own two hands. It's just unrealistic to expect people to be able to do that while also maintaining the standards we've reasonably come to expect buildings to adhere to.

On the west coast we're more on the "I need shelter... please" end of the spectrum than "We demand 2,000 sq foot homes."

Also you can tell you've never considered having children.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The most jealous I have ever been was a former co-worker after getting a remote development job. He bought a truck and camper, and unlimited data cellphone and drove up and down the west coast with his dog living and working from beaches while surfing.

However if you are just living at some corner in New Westminster just get an apartment. If you really want to have the full experience, rent an SRO.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Rime posted:

chinese parasites

jeez man

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

On the west coast we're more on the "I need shelter... please" end of the spectrum than "We demand 2,000 sq foot homes."

They should come to rural Ontario, our garages are 1500 sq ft but it's -20 and there's 4 feet of snow.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my parents raised us in a 1300sf townhouse so you're basically a giant bitch baby if you need that much space

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I was quite happy in my Vancouver condo with one kid but when we had the second on the way we moved to a house in the burbs. I know its possible to raise a couple of kids in a condo with only a balcony for outdoor space but we didn't want to do that.

I don't think its wrong for people to want a little bit more space than you physically need to tetris stack your life into.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Postess with the Mostest posted:

They should come to rural Ontario, our garages are 1500 sq ft but it's -20 and there's 4 feet of snow.

Weather is a bitch but the economy is the real problem. If there were any thriving economies anywhere in Canada, Vancouver would empty out even faster than it is.

THC posted:

my parents raised us in a 1300sf townhouse so you're basically a giant bitch baby if you need that much space

Yeah but look at how hosed up you turned out

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A base of like 600-700 sqft + 100 per extra person is a good reasonable baseline. A family of 4 probably needs at least 1100 sqft. Bedroom for mom and dad, a large shared or 2 small bedrooms for the kids. My friend is raising 3 kids in a 1000 sqft apartment and it's a bit tight because the 2 youngest girls need to share but are getting to the age where they could really use their own rooms, and their living room/kitchen/dining area is quite small too. Teenage son has friends over, nowhere to escape to.

Me and my wife are in a 900sqft 2br and it's extremely spacious for just the 2 of us, 2nd bedroom can be a hobby room or what ever. A single kid would be fine, we have a nice big living room too. But once kids hit their pre-teens they really want their own rooms, and as a parent you really want that room to be big enough that they can have a tv/computer/desk setup in there and maybe have their idiot friend over and have all that poo poo contained in their bedroom. Or let them have the living room but you got a bigger bedroom so you can chill in there and post on something awful about how impossibly loud and stupid 14 year olds can be.

Meanwhile my friend in nowhere suburban california who works at some gross "office space" looking tech park and is single and has pretty much no hobbies and hates vacations because they are "boring" has a 2000 sqft house and he's always complaining that it's so hard to find poo poo to fill up the room and make the house not look so empty. He spends all his money on a ridiculous home theatre room, custom lighting, "home automation" poo poo and video game swords. He will always be single and pretty much only has his co-workers for real life social interaction. He's thinking of trading up and getting a bigger house because his 2004 built house feels old and a newer house could have more cool automation stuff built in.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 3, 2017

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yeah but look at how hosed up you turned out

My little brother is significantly better-adjusted

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
the housing market problem has never been the about the righteousness of having just enough space, it's the fact that our living standards are getting absolutely destroyed. By living standards, I'm talking about everyone's ability to save for retirement, to buy food, to work less

don't ever let anyone tell you that you're just a whiny entitled brat because lol i grew up in 1300 sqft and so should you. That loving 1300 sqft cost less than 100$/sqft in the 80s which meant a higher standard of living because families weren't reduced to debt slaves. The going rate is at least ~$1000/sqft for anything in the lower mainland today. so gently caress you

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

namaste faggots posted:

the housing market problem has never been the about the righteousness of having just enough space, it's the fact that our living standards are getting absolutely destroyed. By living standards, I'm talking about everyone's ability to save for retirement, to buy food, to work less

don't ever let anyone tell you that you're just a whiny entitled brat because lol i grew up in 1300 sqft and so should you. That loving 1300 sqft cost less than 100$/sqft in the 80s which meant a higher standard of living because families weren't reduced to debt slaves. The going rate is at least ~$1000/sqft for anything in the lower mainland today. so gently caress you

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah BC is in a weird place, but the general comment applies pretty much everywhere else.

I have an 8 year old. More space means more crap even more when you have kids.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

all i meant to say was that a two thousand square foot home is not necessary unless you're the Duggars

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
you loving retard it's like you think their exchange of money between independent rational actors is some weird new undocumentend phenomenon with far reaching repercussions and second and third order effects that no one has ever studies maaaaaaaaaaan

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

namaste faggots posted:

This is a good post. I'm glad that shitheel mod had his powers taken away permanently.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My fav thing about the Duggars show is when they casually mention some guest house outside of their giant compound and it's something that would be like $7 million in my area.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
you loving morons have completely missed the point about why it's outrageous that Rime is considering living out of a van haven't you? 30 years ago he would be living comfortably and safely with the ability to save money for his retirement, with the ability to support a family and maybe take paid leave

instead you self righteous motherfuckers are laughing at him because he's loving poor

gently caress all of you

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I got it. :(

My redneck father in law actually said the words "I'm a capitalist!" in an argument about the same thing last week. :(

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 3, 2017

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I have no problem with people choosing to live in vans. I also think its lovely that some people are being forced into that situation. What I do however think is funny is people(not Rime) romanticizing living in a van as if they have somehow beaten and outsmarted the system.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Why dont they drive their van homes to somewhere affordable?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
All those insufferable kids flapping their gums off about "alternative living" to try and make a quick buck on Instagram fame, while being bankrolled by their parents and having no real existential fear for the security of their futures.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
in reply to mashed penguin

You don't loving get it. The problem is that they think need to think they've outsmarted the system. That they have to get to this point of self rationalization is worthy of our pity not our scorn. You're all a bunch of social climbing strivers who are too stupid to see that you're not actually getting anywhere, much like the poor that you make fun of.

You all talk about how much you love Canada and what a great place it is to live and why would I ever move because all I need is here including my family and friends and blah blah blah but yet you loving people are exactly why this loving country is garbage. I have no loving desire to stand in solidarity with you cunts with a glowing nationalist pride because I know, deep down, you're all garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

If there were any thriving economies anywhere in Canada, Vancouver would empty out even faster than it is.

Vancouver sounds horrible. You could be my neighbour, commute 40 minutes to Kanata and get this place for instead of a 650 sq ft condo, https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/17688916/344-MCMANUS-ROAD-White-Lake-Ontario-K0A3L0-The-Mountain

This place has been listed forever, it never sells because the house is so small