Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I do feel a little sorry for phil, unemployment loving sucks. Then I remember he brought it all on himself with unwise spending habits. He kept his condo instead of selling it when he moved. He moved to a big house in a gated community, he claims this was for taxes which is fair but he could of moved to where he is now just not in a big house in a gated community. He also bought an expensive car he probably doesn't use much since he works at home. He tweets about eating out and going to expensive places to eat lobster and the like.

He got lucky and got in early when let's plays exploded to get him his money to do all that in the past, but now that bubble is exploding and he's acting like it should be something that should keep him going at this rate indefinitely. I'm sure him loudly expressing his disdain for what is popular isn't doing him many favors, if any of his fans like the current trends on youtube he is basically insulting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

judge reinhold posted:

I feel bad for DSP and the other YouTube people who are getting the short end of the algorithm/subscription notifier changes. It's a twisted world we now live in where a 10000000000 degree knife cutting through stuff turns up on more people's related videos than a dude accidentally j/oing live on stream.

Other YT people who depend primarily on ad revenue? Sure.

DSP? No. If he weren't so hostile and idiotic he'd probably be in a much safer position financially from a higher viewcount and his Patreon.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Leal posted:

He kept his condo instead of selling it when he moved.

The worst part is that now he claims that the housing market is so bad in Connecticut that the condo is only worth half of what he originally paid for it. He plans to short sale the condo which will undoubtedly obliterate his already crippled credit score.

He could solve so many of his financial problems if he just sold his "adult house", which supposedly is now worth more than what he paid for it, and moved back to Connecticut.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I wanna know what his end game was for the condo. He says himself he couldn't rent it out cause he couldn't fix stuff as he is no longer living in Connecticut. I don't know if there was an arrangement with his aunt renting the place when he moved, and I don't know much about the history with him and his aunt, but keeping the condo (or at the very least not renting it out to a loss for a family member) was probably one of the stupidest decisions he made.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

TaurusOxford posted:

I would feel bad too except everything is entirely his fault.

He made a lot of really dumb life choices and didn't play it conservatively, always assuming the big YouTube bucks will keep flowing, but I don't think it's all his fault. Plenty of other YouTube folk have reported the same thing happening to them, and I've seen similar things on my subscription feed for people I've subscribed to. I think Phil and all "entertainers" should succeed or fail based on their own merit, not by some shady YouTube technical glitches or altering algorithms without any transparency.

DSP is a cautionary tale: fame is fickle, and your YouTube earnings are not a guarantee. Also, don't jack off on camera. Or maybe do for the publicity. Think about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record, the 1,300 dollars he makes from just Patreon alone is almost a pretty respectable livable wage. At most he'd have to get a part-time job.

...if he was not an idiot, and lived in a normal person house and did not have an expensive-rear end car.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

judge reinhold posted:

He made a lot of really dumb life choices and didn't play it conservatively, always assuming the big YouTube bucks will keep flowing, but I don't think it's all his fault. Plenty of other YouTube folk have reported the same thing happening to them, and I've seen similar things on my subscription feed for people I've subscribed to. I think Phil and all "entertainers" should succeed or fail based on their own merit, not by some shady YouTube technical glitches or altering algorithms without any transparency.

Except DSPGaming isn't in the toilet because of Youtube algorithms. He was stupid enough to delete 2 million views worth of videos instead of just privating them when he got hit with copyright strikes, which nosedived Phil's channel in the Youtube search rankings.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Phil's losses are entirely his fault. He can hide behind the new youtube boogeyman (Not to imply THE ALGORITHM isn't an actual issue) but he's been on a downward slope for a lot longer than this.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

TaurusOxford posted:

Except DSPGaming isn't in the toilet because of Youtube algorithms. He was stupid enough to delete 2 million views worth of videos instead of just privating them when he got hit with copyright strikes, which nosedived Phil's channel in the Youtube search rankings.

I don't think anyone has firm details on how the new algorithm works, and we can only speculate; for example, i don't think it's impossible to envision a scenario where a 2 million view but highly downvoted video (which I presume these videos would be, I don't know what you're specifically referencing though) factors differently with the new algorithm, and so maybe doing that helped. That's what my issue is, there's no real way to know, and people like Phil, stupidly or not, rely on YouTube to buy their condos in Connecticut expecting their platform to be fair.

Yardbomb posted:

Phil's losses are entirely his fault. He can hide behind the new youtube boogeyman (Not to imply THE ALGORITHM isn't an actual issue) but he's been on a downward slope for a lot longer than this.

There's certainly a possibility that there's a dogpile effect going on and people who are just naturally losing subscribers can chalk it up to this YouTube glitch, but I have seen first hand on my own YouTube feed videos disappearing but still there when I go to the channel manually.

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 1, 2017

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

TaurusOxford posted:

The worst part is that now he claims that the housing market is so bad in Connecticut that the condo is only worth half of what he originally paid for it. He plans to short sale the condo which will undoubtedly obliterate his already crippled credit score.

He could solve so many of his financial problems if he just sold his "adult house", which supposedly is now worth more than what he paid for it, and moved back to Connecticut.

I never, ever understood his decision to move to Seattle. I have friends who made the move, but they had a support system and job prospects. Phil literally sits on a couch and plays/yells at games. It wasn't like he had to get out there in any hurry, he should have just sucked it up and sold his condo before he moved across the country.

I would never suggest trying to rent out a condo, most places have condo fees that make rent on those places un-competitive unless you have already payed off the mortgage.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

For the record, the 1,300 dollars he makes from just Patreon alone is almost a pretty respectable livable wage. At most he'd have to get a part-time job.

...if he was not an idiot, and lived in a normal person house and did not have an expensive-rear end car.

Don't forget taxes, unless patreon already handles that? Wouldn't the feds consider that as self employment and want 30% of his income? That would be 910 bucks a month. But then again, he should also be making an income from twitch and his machinima contracts so I guess all bets are off.

And speaking of twitch, its kinda funny how much Phil is slamming youtube. I guess its a good thing youtube is so hands off everything or someone would probably want to give him the boot cause of how much he slanders google.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

Don't forget taxes, unless patreon already handles that?

They do. He gets what you see there to the dollar. It used to show the total received from all pledges but they didn't think that was fair because it gave a false impression of what the person was actually earning, so they changed it to show the amount after tax/Patreon's cut. He is being given probably 1600-ish depending on how many low donators he has, but he is receiving 1300-ish.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well drat, the guy makes roughly the same amount I do post taxes at a full time job. I'd love to be making that to do unedited LPs.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Really if Phil got a job and did LPs on the side it sounds like he would be fine, it just seems like he just wants to only do video games, and that's something where it's just not going to happen for him now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Leal posted:

Well drat, the guy makes roughly the same amount I do post taxes at a full time job. I'd love to be making that to do unedited LPs.

Would you really, though? DSP's entire life seems to revolve around making those videos, so he's probably "working" more hours than you do, and I'd imagine most people would go crazy dedicating themselves to pumping out as much "content" as DSP.

I'd certainly hate being a Youtube Content Creator if I had to do it for ten hours a day seven days a week or whatever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Being as prolific as DSP is (or at least, was) sounds totally miserable but yes playing video games for the internet for a living sounds like a dream job. The Game Grumps dudes record once a week, for like 4 or 5 hours.

edit: They manage this because they have a dedicated team of editors (though it used to be just one guy) and the episodes they end up producing are like 15 minutes long on average. So they just play a bunch of games a little bit at a time in each session. DSP is absolutely doing it the hard way, even if he doesn't bother editing anything besides chopping stuff into half hour chunks or whathaveyou.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 2, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The main problem with LPing for a living is you inevitably end up lping games you hate because you run out of games you like, and that can burn you out.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

the main problem with lping is that dsp showed us jackin it live isn't a good way to gain a resurgence and i feel thats the biggest myth busted so far

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

CJacobs posted:

They do. He gets what you see there to the dollar. It used to show the total received from all pledges but they didn't think that was fair because it gave a false impression of what the person was actually earning, so they changed it to show the amount after tax/Patreon's cut. He is being given probably 1600-ish depending on how many low donators he has, but he is receiving 1300-ish.

The number is after Patreon's cut now, but I'm pretty sure taxes are still on our end. It's not like we're Patreon's employees here, so they don't withhold employee taxes.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

FutureFriend posted:

the main problem with lping is that dsp showed us jackin it live isn't a good way to gain a resurgence and i feel thats the biggest myth busted so far

You're a fellow content creator online, so you know that we lay our souls bare before our audience knowing they'll only want more.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

judge reinhold posted:

You're a fellow content creator online, so you know that we lay our souls bare before our audience knowing they'll only want more.

Bullshit, you need not do that
The most I ever did for my audience in terms of laying my soul bare was performing a relatively heavy 2x my bodyweight squat

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

judge reinhold posted:

I feel bad for DSP and the other YouTube people who are getting the short end of the algorithm/subscription notifier changes.

I don't.

I don't do this for a living but I've talked with enough people who do to know that you have to treat this poo poo like a business and if you're dependent on a third-party (YT revenue) as your only income stream, well, shock horror what happens when the 3rd party changes things without you.

You're not going to see a lot of A-Listers make too many videos like this because if YT stops paying, people rely on merch sales, Twitch subs, Patreon, their personal website ad revenue, etc. etc. You have to diversify; you shouldn't expect any income stream that's entirely in someone else's hands to just pay forever.

Mega64 posted:

Would you really, though? DSP's entire life seems to revolve around making those videos, so he's probably "working" more hours than you do, and I'd imagine most people would go crazy dedicating themselves to pumping out as much "content" as DSP.

I'd certainly hate being a Youtube Content Creator if I had to do it for ten hours a day seven days a week or whatever.

The truth is he just operates in volume, and not well. Most people spend a few hours recording, a few hours editing, a few hours figuring out backend stuff, etc. He just pumps and pumps and pumps (ha) and probably spends a lot of his money buying AAA games as soon as they come out to play them (whereas most people did their business smartly and network and get review copies, etc.)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

slowbeef posted:

He just pumps and pumps and pumps (ha) and probably spends a lot of his money buying AAA games as soon as they come out to play them (whereas most people did their business smartly and network and get review copies, etc.)

Buying all those AAA games on day one isn't even doing him any good. He's not even getting good "day 1 LP" views anymore. He still hasn't cleared 20k views on his first Resident Evil 7 video and it's a week old. Yakuza 0 is 6 days old and only has 6k views on it. His channel is beyond repair at this point.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I was talkin about jackin it, guys

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

You're not going to see a lot of A-Listers make too many videos like this because if YT stops paying, people rely on merch sales, Twitch subs, Patreon, their personal website ad revenue, etc. etc.

To be fair, Phil DID these things too. He just hosed them up spectacularly because of his toxic personality and destructive behavior.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I'm still waiting for DSP to take off the mask and reveal he was Andy Kaufman all along.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

judge reinhold posted:

I was talkin about jackin it, guys

Same.

I don't jerk off for a living but I've talked with enough people who do to know that you have to treat this poo poo like a business and if you're dependent on a third-party (YT revenue) as your only income stream, well, shock horror what happens when the 3rd party changes things without you.

You're not going to see a lot of A-Listers jerk off in public like this because if YT stops paying, people rely on merch sales, Twitch subs, Patreon, their personal website ad revenue, etc. etc. You have to diversify; you shouldn't expect any income stream that's entirely in your hands to just pay forever.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

slowbeef posted:

Same.

I don't jerk off for a living but I've talked with enough people who do to know that you have to treat this poo poo like a business and if you're dependent on a third-party (YT revenue) as your only income stream, well, shock horror what happens when the 3rd party changes things without you.

You're not going to see a lot of A-Listers jerk off in public like this because if YT stops paying, people rely on merch sales, Twitch subs, Patreon, their personal website ad revenue, etc. etc. You have to diversify; you shouldn't expect any income stream that's entirely in your hands to just pay forever.

Man, DSP should learn to clean up after himself if he's got his income stream entirely in his hands.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

slowbeef posted:

You're not going to see a lot of A-Listers jerk off in public like this

If only. Next Retsupurae Live at RTX maybe?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
But seriously, this blows for Phil. He needs to come and realize he can't keep this up forever. If he thinks he's got a handful now just wait until the future reaches around and tugs him into a premature and disappointing finale.

He also should probably find a new business besides Let's Play.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mega64 posted:

But seriously, this blows for Phil. He needs to come and realize he can't keep this up forever. If he thinks he's got a handful now just wait until the future reaches around and tugs him into a premature and disappointing finale.

He also should probably find a new business besides Let's Play.

I'm not sure if he can even get a job at this point, he'll have to explain his 8 year unemployment gap as his youtube career and when employers look up his name... I'm sure the encyclopedia dramatica page being the first hit wont do him any favors.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Leal posted:

I'm not sure if he can even get a job at this point, he'll have to explain his 8 year unemployment gap as his youtube career and when employers look up his name... I'm sure the encyclopedia dramatica page being the first hit wont do him any favors.

Google Image Search won't do him any favours either. You get masturbation, showering, and Sonic hat without even needing to scroll.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If managing to avoid burning bridges like DSP did it may even have a beneficial effect on an extra-curricular section of a CV - proof that you can stick out a long-ish project and see it to completion. Also, being good enough to live on it shows a level of financial and business acumen that could have transferable skills.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

I'm not sure if he can even get a job at this point, he'll have to explain his 8 year unemployment gap as his youtube career

I see people say this sometimes but I don't think it will really be a problem if he says he made almost tens of thousands of dollars a month (at one point) and several thousands of dollars a month from then on via self-employment. For Phil specifically, he hosed himself over by being a lovely person, so it won't necessarily work for him as well as it would someone who's not a dick.

edit: You don't have to explain to an employer "well, you see, let's playing is this internet phenomenon where someone else watches you play video games". I don't think they care about that. The results are more important, and when your results and work ethic are that impressive, what you were doing probably doesn't matter as much unless you were a real scumbag about it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 2, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I still can't believe that DSP's stuff was, you know, the work of a real person and not some kind of performance art.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CommissarMega posted:

I still can't believe that DSP's stuff was, you know, the work of a real person and not some kind of performance art.

People tried to say he was just playing a character a lot, at least to some part, to which I always maintained that I never thought it was true. Like even if you're trying to say he's one of those people that never wanna 'break character', the people who really do that level of dedication to their shtick, whether it's for music or videos or acting or whatever, they usually have the common sense or at least decency to hit the off switch for a minute when they're gonna talk about something serious. Even in his videos where he's whinging about his income or how his followers are at fault for him floundering and whatever else, he's still being the same big lovely baby, no matter what he was doing he was always the same shrill incompetent manbaby and I don't believe that someone like Phil has the ironclad composure to never once crack up at everything, come off too honest for his character, have a moment of weird clarity of the 'real him' or anything like that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He did very rarely have legitimately funny moments, generally through no fault of his own. Like in an Assassin's Creed playthrough he beat a boss through repeatedly kicking him until he fell off a ledge into the water. It was done on a lovely camcorder recording of his TV screen, but it was actually amusing.

These just come really few and far between.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I see people say this sometimes but I don't think it will really be a problem if he says he made almost tens of thousands of dollars a month (at one point) and several thousands of dollars a month from then on via self-employment. For Phil specifically, he hosed himself over by being a lovely person, so it won't necessarily work for him as well as it would someone who's not a dick.

edit: You don't have to explain to an employer "well, you see, let's playing is this internet phenomenon where someone else watches you play video games". I don't think they care about that. The results are more important, and when your results and work ethic are that impressive, what you were doing probably doesn't matter as much unless you were a real scumbag about it.

Eeeeh I dunno, if I were an employer and get impressed that a guy made that kind of cash while being self employed, actually looking up his content would quickly make me throw out his application. He clearly isn't a team player, the guy poo poo talks basically everyone he has ever worked with. He bites the hand that feeds him constantly, he blames John and Howard for Project 7 being cancelled (while pocketing the money his fans donated to hit that goal), every financial institution he runs to were dicks and blackmailers, there is just no coming out on top being associated with the guy.

Lets assume his employer either flat out doesn't actually do any real background checks or just doesn't care, how long would Phil hold the job before running his mouth and getting canned?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Leal posted:

Eeeeh I dunno, if I were an employer and get impressed that a guy made that kind of cash while being self employed, actually looking up his content would quickly make me throw out his application. He clearly isn't a team player, the guy poo poo talks basically everyone he has ever worked with. He bites the hand that feeds him constantly, he blames John and Howard for Project 7 being cancelled (while pocketing the money his fans donated to hit that goal), every financial institution he runs to were dicks and blackmailers, there is just no coming out on top being associated with the guy.
I blame John Howard for a lot of things too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

Lets assume his employer either flat out doesn't actually do any real background checks or just doesn't care, how long would Phil hold the job before running his mouth and getting canned?

Yes, that is why I said "so it won't necessarily work for him as well as it would someone who's not a dick."

• Locked thread