Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We should ask Ian Hislop who the next Labour Party leader will be, he's always been so good at it in the past. Remember when he openly mocked the idea of Boris getting anywhere in politics, and dismissed May as a thatcher wannabe in nice shoes who will be destined for a minor cabinet position to make up the numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm gonna wait for an actual source for his comments rather than just criticise him on what he "apparently" said.

The Sun has some quotes, it's the sort of poorly thought through comment of 'Labour will stand by you and for you against oppression, for those who choose to be gay, choose to be lesbian' etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My sexuality is exactly as much a choice as my political beliefs. I could stop finding either sex attractive exactly as much as I could stop believing that capitalism is inherently immoral, which is to say, I can't. Because that understanding doesn't go away any easier than my understanding that people's anatomy has a rather limited amount to do with how attractive they are.

But I think most people would still treat my political beliefs as elective. As they would with probably all the other information I have in my head. The line between choice/not a choice is complicated but in terms of ethics I really don't see anything false about believing that sexuality is not immoral, regardless of whether it's a choice or not.

I don't care why you think it so long as you do think it.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm gonna wait for an actual source for his comments rather than just criticise him on what he "apparently" said.

https://www.facebook.com/pinknews/videos/10155018741476518/

the "choice" comments are in the last 30 seconds

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gum posted:

Is it normal to be checking a paper's grammar at 4am on the day it's supposed to be published?

Probably, for whatever peon is assigned to do last minute checks and then print off copies for all the ministers. It's hardly difficult to believe

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I mean what he says isn't great, but this is another "perfect is the enemy of good" scenario where people will pile on Corbyn for 15 seconds out of an 8-minute speech while completely ignoring the Tories' attitude to LGBT issues.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

I don't particularly want to start a well-trodden Oxbridge Access debate, but it's nice to see that Cambridge has the 9th most privately educated intake, as higher proportions of state school pupils succeed at gaining entrance - up 8 percent in 10 years. Plenty of ground still to cover, but moving in the right direction.

Also, looks like there's been a Southern Rail deal struck, but no details available yet.

Edit: ^^ Pretty irritating to hear Tory MPs criticise the 'regressive attitude'.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 2, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neither of these reaches the current benchmark, which is the TA unit who performed a controlled detonation on a suspicious package found at their barracks to find it was a box of leaflets with instructions on how to deal with suspicious packages.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Guavanaut posted:

Lots of things are natural and terrible. Some things are natural and good. Plenty of things are unnatural and good.

Yeah, that's my point. But, the public has an undeniable association with natural things and goodness, so I understand it's rhetorically convenient to be able to say "queer sexuality is natural".

quote:

I think the existence of identical twins with differing sexuality and the existence of completely different standards of sexualities throughout history makes it unlikely to be something completely innate and hard wired into you before your birth, but I also think that love between consenting adults should be protected from assholes whether they're yelling "it's a choice and you can choose not to!" or "it's genetic and we need screening!"

Yeah, basically. Sexuality's probably complicated but the net property is a simple "don't be a dick".

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Regarding the whole Corbyn gaff thing aye he should apologise for it but he's been a steadfast supporter of gay rights his entire career so I'm willing to bet it was just a verbal mix up.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Aye, cos he works so hard the rest of the year.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol america

https://twitter.com/WestWingReport/status/827254053843378176?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sion posted:

Aye, cos he works so hard the rest of the year.

14 weeks paid holiday is good. I support this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And you all called me silly when I said that 4 hour days and a third of the year off was silly in the last thread, it's now government policy!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Gonzo McFee posted:

Crosspost from Scotpol thread.

https://twitter.com/MeanwhileScotia/status/827180547025801216

Deputy Leader for Scottish Tories invokes the Laffer Curve, is asked a technical question, bottles it.

its not even technical beyond "enough gsce maths to recognise a differential"

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Behold all the tabled amendments

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
If you're going to try and keep on top of the amendments etc just bookmark Ronya's link - depending how many get added it it'll be easier.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Crosspost from Scotpol thread.

https://twitter.com/MeanwhileScotia/status/827180547025801216

Deputy Leader for Scottish Tories invokes the Laffer Curve, is asked a technical question, bottles it.

the teacher from ferris buellers day off is a pedo

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Looks like the US is going to take a giant leap backwards on religion in politics and another one on various LGBT-related issues:

quote:

US President Donald Trump has announced he will "get rid of and totally destroy" a 60-year-old rule that blocks tax-exempt religious groups from endorsing or opposing political candidates.

The so-called Johnson amendment was introduced by then-Senator Lyndon B Johnson in 1954. It threatens churches and other religious institutions with the loss of their tax-exempt status should they overstep the mark.

At the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington DC on Thursday Mr Trump said: "Jefferson asked, 'Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?' Among those freedoms is the right to worship according to our own beliefs. That is why I will get rid of and totally destroy the Johnson amendment and allow our representatives of faith to speak freely and without fear of retribution—I will do that."

And also:

quote:

The declaration came as an apparent leaked draft of a new executive order set out how specific religious beliefs—reflecting conservative Christian social tenets—could become enshrined as executive policy.

They include "the belief that marriage is or should be recognised as the union of one man and one woman, sexual relations are properly reserved for such a marriage, male and female and their equivalents refer to an individual’s immutable biological sex as objectively determined by anatomy, physiology, or genetics at or before birth, and that human life begins at conception and merits protection at all stages of life".

The draft order seeks to protect the tax-exempt status of organisations that propound those beliefs, as well as to block "adverse action" against groups that discriminate, on religious grounds, in the provision of adoption and fostering services. White House spokesman Sean Spicer did not comment on the specifics of the leak.

And he's now apparently a devout Christian:

quote:

Last September he tried to woo evangelical voters with a promise that the US' "Christian heritage will be cherished, protected, defended like you have never seen before". His repeal of the amendment would "give our churches their voice back", he said.

The repeal was one of his 282 campaign promises.

On Thursday Mr Trump added: "Our republic was formed on the basis that freedom is not a gift from government, but that freedom is a gift from God. We are all united by our faith, in our creator, in our firm knowledge that we are all equal in his eyes. We are not just flesh and bone and blood. We are human beings with souls."

The sheer rate of executive orders is pretty impressive, whatever you might think of the contents. If only politicians who weren't orange tangarines could deliver so many election promises so quickly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Prince John posted:

And he's now apparently a devout Christian:

https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/827159656602730496?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

It certainly puts a new dark twist on a film about a manipulative teenage sociopath.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jose posted:

As Angepain pointed out in ScotPol, Murdo Fraser doesn't understand his sources: Matthew Broderick isn't sitting in the class at all, as the film's title indicates. His piss poor knowledge of John Hughes movies aside, it's rather revealing - and frustrating - that he seems to think that just saying "the Laffer curve" is a winning argument, when even Laffer himself doesn't think it can or should be the basis of policy making.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Niric posted:

As Angepain pointed out in ScotPol, Murdo Fraser doesn't understand his sources: Matthew Broderick isn't sitting in the class at all, as the film's title indicates. His piss poor knowledge of John Hughes movies aside, it's rather revealing - and frustrating - that he seems to think that just saying "the Laffer curve" is a winning argument, when even Laffer himself doesn't think it can or should be the basis of policy making.

not sure what this has to do with the actor who played the teacher in ferris buellers day off being a pedo tbh

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it wasn't the teacher, it was the principal.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The Laffer Curve is a metaphor for paedophile erections

Also there's a human being called Murdo Frasier. Half way between a murderer and Birdo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that's a nice scottish accent though

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I took Corbyn's remarks as "choose to live life as a LGBT person" as opposed to choosing to be closeted or whatever. Regardless it doesn't matter why people are gay, homophobia is always bad.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Coming soon to a river near you via May's desperate glorious free trade deal with the USA

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
OK so it's like half a dozen people pushing for all the important stuff and then there's effectively what are spoiler clauses by the SNP that will get tanked.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Goons join us for Question Time in #ukgoons on synirc.

quote:

David Dimbleby presents Question Time from Wallasey. On the panel are Sir Patrick McLoughlin, Rebecca Long Bailey, Maajid Nawaz, Nick Hewer and Laura Perrins.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

Also there's a human being called Murdo Frasier. Half way between a murderer and Birdo.

My grandad was called Murdo, he wasn't a Tory. And the Gaelic version of Dangermouse was called Donnie Murdo.

https://youtu.be/y-5hII715_s

#NotAllMurdos

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

My grandad was called Murdo, he wasn't a Tory. And the Gaelic version of Dangermouse was called Donnie Murdo.

https://youtu.be/y-5hII715_s

#NotAllMurdos

Alasdair Caimbuel as the Sgriobhadh sounds interesting.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I Dont know who Chris Leslie is but he's rammed in All The Amendments, so that parliament will get like 5 minutes to discuss each. Can't people who want to soften brexit coordinate these things?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Can't find anything on this: the travel ban on Israeli citizens by Arab nations, is this something that has been in place effectively from Israel's inception? Or did these bans come in at some point in response to the refusal to acknowledge Palestine etc.? Just interested because of the Villiers/May commons thing about it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

Can't find anything on this: the travel ban on Israeli citizens by Arab nations, is this something that has been in place effectively from Israel's inception?
Yes.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Namtab posted:

I Dont know who Chris Leslie is but he's rammed in All The Amendments, so that parliament will get like 5 minutes to discuss each. Can't people who want to soften brexit coordinate these things?

If we're assuming that they aren't going to pass anyway, you could see it as a form of protest. You can then point back and say: "Look how the government rushed this bill, barely gave us any time to amend it when there's so much to discuss!"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
An all-day brexit is an all-day brexit.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Private Speech posted:

If we're assuming that they aren't going to pass anyway, you could see it as a form of protest. You can then point back and say: "Look how the government rushed this bill, barely gave us any time to amend it when there's so much to discuss!"

That's the stupidest strategy since Corbyn announced he would never vote no to an unamended brexit

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Namtab posted:

That's the stupidest strategy since Corbyn announced he would never vote no to an unamended brexit

Going by his Twitter he's a very PLP Labour MP but he does some good stuff on refugees and consistently opposed Brexit despite voting with the whip. Maybe he just went all "gently caress it". Less charitably he wanted to hurt Corbyn with this somehow, I don't see much how though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Going by his Twitter he's a very PLP Labour MP but he does some good stuff on refugees and consistently opposed Brexit despite voting with the whip. Maybe he just went all "gently caress it". Less charitably he wanted to hurt Corbyn with this somehow, I don't see much how though.

Maybe having multiple amendments is to sort of try and attract Labour mps to vote for his instead of Corbyns. That way they can attack corbs for not being able to convince mps to vote for his own amendments.

I just can't see any other reason for a Labour mp to chair all those amendments, some of which are watered down versions of the primary Labour amendments.

• Locked thread