Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was just thinking - you know how there's a million Japanese WNs with the general plot of "dude reincarnates in fantasy world with demon lord, only with a twist!"?

Are there actually any stories like this without the twist/parody? Like, where a guy reincarnates in a fantasy world and the actual goal is to defeat the evil demon lord? Because that sounds like it would be fun, but every WN seems to act like it was once a common genre and they're parodying it, but I can't think of any actual non-parody examples.

The closest I can think of is something like Rokka no Yuusha, but that doesn't have the reincarnation angle. I can't actually think of anything where a guy reincarnates and is supposed to defeat a demon lord and the story is just about his journey to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'd say the protags are meant to be genre-savvy and know how a fantasy story is supposed to go and then just subvert it. So yes they're all Tropers.
Realistically, you couldn't send a nerd to a fantasy world and not expect that behavior, right?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I loving hate tropers

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i think the "summoned hero" cliche must be a really old one in japanese geek media, i used to see it referenced every so often even before the current glut of trashy light novel and web novel series

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ A normal person becoming a hero is a trope in Western culture too, but I'm referring more specifically to adding the "reincarnated from another world" element to the mix.

nielsm posted:

I'd say the protags are meant to be genre-savvy and know how a fantasy story is supposed to go and then just subvert it. So yes they're all Tropers.
Realistically, you couldn't send a nerd to a fantasy world and not expect that behavior, right?

Yeah, but a lot of these stories often take a tone like they're parodying the ole' standard "recinarnated guy goes on adventure to defeat demon king" plot, when I don't think I've ever seen that plot. And it doesn't have to be a nerd; it could just be a normal high school student or whatever.

Like, it would be fun to read a story about a guy (or girl!) who ends up in a swords and magic fantasy world and goes on an adventure to defeat the evil demon king. I want to read this story instead of another parody (especially since the parodies are almost always awful, with the sole exception of Konosuba).

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ A normal person becoming a hero is a trope in Western culture too, but I'm referring more specifically to adding the "reincarnated from another world" element to the mix.

that's what i was talking about too

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Kumo has that plot in Shun's story, or at least the basic trappings of it. Ends up being pretty funny comparing what he thinks he knows and what we know is actually happening.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Imo send a troper to a fantasy world where they try to apply tropes and surprise surprise it's not that simple and they repeatedly get their poo poo hosed up until they learn to stop being such a know-it-all brat and actually apply hard work to fix their situation.

See: Re: Zero

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
theres a very old chinese PC game called Heroes of Jin Yong where the main character is a modern day person who was summoned into the world of a jin yong novel

as an aside that game's sequel got a remake recently called Tale of Wuxia thats kinda fun and its on Steam

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the originating work might be brave story. it may or may not have been the first, but it was popular enough to get several games and a movie, plus i think there might be a spinoff anime or two? also, its popularity would have been when most of the current crop of nerdlingers were kids.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of Rokka, I feel like it unfairly gets a bit of a bad rap due to the anime ending at the end of the first volume (which is a terrible place to end, given it's basically an extended prologue of sorts). While it doesn't do anything particularly amazing, I feel like it's a solid fantasy story with some unique elements, interesting enemies, and really well written fight scenes*. I hope the LN official translation ends up getting past volume 5 (which I think is how far the fan translation got before it was shut down due to being licensed).

*They do a really good job of making the protagonist viable in a setting where most of his opponents have literal superpowers.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Law Cheetah posted:

as an aside that game's sequel got a remake recently called Tale of Wuxia thats kinda fun and its on Steam

I'm warning you guys now, the translation of this is, uh, well. Isn't.

It was crowdsourced, I think, and uneven doesn't even begin to describe it. About a fifth of it is well done. The rest is poor at best; swathes of it might as well have been machine translated and then there are portions which are entirely untranslated. The variation is entirely random, too. At one point I was in a conversation that was perfectly readable, and then the next text box was 100% hanzi. I'm fairly certain that that section contained all the key details of the quest I was being briefed on.

Cool game, though. Fun combat. Hoping the next one gets a professional translator.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the originating work might be brave story. it may or may not have been the first, but it was popular enough to get several games and a movie, plus i think there might be a spinoff anime or two? also, its popularity would have been when most of the current crop of nerdlingers were kids.

What about Zero no Tsukaima? Was the guy dead in that? I don't think I ever watched it, but I remember it being A Thing for a while.

I went to mangaupdates and gave their "transported to another world" category a mosey. This appears to be the oldest one there where the protagonist's death or presumed death is mentioned in the synopsis. :shrug:

A lot of these early ones seem to be shoujo romances. Fushigi Yuugi, Escaflowne. This mad bastard thing from the seventies. Twelve Kingdoms, though that's not a romance, really. All harems for dudes now, though.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Michael Moorcock's The Eternal Champion was about a man from modern-day earth getting summoned/reincarnated into a fantasy world and becoming a hero, complete with a magic sword. It was published in 1970, though, and I have no idea if it was at all popular in Japan.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm warning you guys now, the translation of this is, uh, well. Isn't.

It was crowdsourced, I think, and uneven doesn't even begin to describe it. About a fifth of it is well done. The rest is poor at best; swathes of it might as well have been machine translated and then there are portions which are entirely untranslated. The variation is entirely random, too. At one point I was in a conversation that was perfectly readable, and then the next text box was 100% hanzi. I'm fairly certain that that section contained all the key details of the quest I was being briefed on.

Cool game, though. Fun combat. Hoping the next one gets a professional translator.

It was, in fact, crowdsourced - the developers more or less said they didn't have the money to hire translators (the studio literally went bankrupt ~20 years ago after the game's initial release, and only reformed because a kickstarter showed there was enough interest in a remake to justify getting people back together again), and so put the whole script up on Google Docs for people to translate piecemeal. My personal favorite translator is the one who looked at the weird pronunciation/homophone quizzes, and decided the appropriate response was "gently caress this poo poo, just add [choose number X] to every one of the questions."

They have since blamed the game's relatively poor Steam sales on software piracy, abandoned all support for the English version (including the expansion pack that was released last August and is still only available in the Chinese version), and have all but said they're not going to bother translating any further games they do.

But yeah! Really fun game, and the heart still shines through despite the obviously slap dash translation. (still angry we're not getting the expansion though, some of the stuff added to that sounds amazingly insane)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Zero no tsukaima didn't have a dead guy. It's a harem comedy where a kugiyama rie tsundere summons a Japanese guy to a fantasy world by accident.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ytlaya posted:

I can't actually think of anything where a guy reincarnates and is supposed to defeat a demon lord and the story is just about his journey to do so.
Does traveling back in time from a pyrhhic victory count? Protag isn't from Earth though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tsuyokute+New+Saga

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jackard posted:

Does traveling back in time from a pyrhhic victory count? Protag isn't from Earth though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tsuyokute+New+Saga

That's another "twist on fighting demon lord" story though, where the twist is the fact that the demon lord was already defeated and the protagonist was sent back in time with knowledge of the future. And, yeah, the fact that the protagonist isn't from Earth/reincarnated.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jon joe posted:

Imo send a troper to a fantasy world where they try to apply tropes and surprise surprise it's not that simple and they repeatedly get their poo poo hosed up until they learn to stop being such a know-it-all brat and actually apply hard work to fix their situation.

See: Re: Zero

konosuba is kinda this but the opposite, where normal dude enters a world of min-maxers and wins fights by fighting dirty

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Yinlock posted:

konosuba is kinda this but the opposite, where normal dude enters a world of min-maxers and wins fights by fighting dirty

I'm not sure we have the same definition of "wins". He certainly doesn't die much though!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FriggenJ posted:

I'm not sure we have the same definition of "wins". He certainly doesn't die much though!

technical victory is still victory, dirty fightin' makes no distinction

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Jo Joestar posted:

Michael Moorcock's The Eternal Champion was about a man from modern-day earth getting summoned/reincarnated into a fantasy world and becoming a hero, complete with a magic sword. It was published in 1970, though, and I have no idea if it was at all popular in Japan.

this post reminded me of another western example of this, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. the first book was published in 1977. the main character is a leper who was abandoned by his wife and child, then one day he gets run down by a car and wakes up in a fantasy world. it doesnt fit the idea of him choosing to be a hero and fighting off the demon lord, though. i think its also always left an open question whether he's just experiencing some kind of death/coma hallucination or dream or if its all real.

he does a really bad thing in the beginning of the first book that bummed me out enough that i quit reading the first time i picked up the series as a teenager. ive always been meaning to try to go back to it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that series was very repetitive, so you probably shouldn't bother. amusingly enough, leprosy was treatable prior to the 70's and fully curable in the 70's so the basic conceit of going to a magical world for a temporary fix never made a whole lot of sense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the 'hero from earth fights the demon lord' thing might just be a combination of world traveling fantasy stories with dragon quest.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think the 'hero from earth fights the demon lord' thing might just be a combination of world traveling fantasy stories with dragon quest.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the whole 'template RPG world' that constantly comes up in LN / WNs is more referencing video games. A lot of (older) video games play that trope extremely straight with a king sending a hero to kill a demon king.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

FrantzX posted:

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

I would kill for a wn to have a tenth as much sheer hatred for slavery and aristocracy as twain packed into that

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol i just noticed that the same group which translates the mostly inoffensive library of heaven's path also translates this little gem: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-adonis-next-door-100-days-of-forced-love/, a chilling horror story which is supposed to be a romance. i have no intention of ever reading it, but i think i got the gist of it from the description.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I think I got the gist of it from the url. :stonklol:

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Dungeon Defense just completed its fourth volume and it was, as the others, glorious. If you haven't been reading about the demon world's most hosed up family dynamic this side of the Duggars you're missing out.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
give me general sheridan's cavalry corps sent to a generic fantasy wn after whipping lee

kill all the slavers and forcibly occupy a forest idiots are trying to chop down, usual stuff

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

UberJew posted:

give me general sheridan's cavalry corps sent to a generic fantasy wn after whipping lee

kill all the slavers and forcibly occupy a forest idiots are trying to chop down, usual stuff

The entire 1632 series is available online. It's about a small town full of West Virginian coal miners that get teleported back to 17th century Germany and decide to gently caress up history.

There's magic in the form of sinking the Danish navy with speedboats and homemade aircraft, and dropping napalm on the Spanish Inquisition.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

UberJew posted:

Ooh how about Grant goes to stereotypical JP novel and liberates all the slaves from the annoying protagonists. I'd read that novel!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Avulsion posted:

The entire 1632 series is available online. It's about a small town full of West Virginian coal miners that get teleported back to 17th century Germany and decide to gently caress up history.

There's magic in the form of sinking the Danish navy with speedboats and homemade aircraft, and dropping napalm on the Spanish Inquisition.

I have read not all of the series (because holy poo poo there are a lot of books) but I own a bunch of them and have read most and yeah

it does continue to own but there's not a lot of slaver killing

definitely a pro read for anybody in here

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Avulsion posted:

Thanks a lot!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Since it appears non-anime time travel is now a part of this thread, Doomsday Book by Connie Willis isn't bad.

As for actual light novels, well

Of course the author of Watamote would have such an opinion.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Since it appears non-anime time travel is now a part of this thread, Doomsday Book by Connie Willis isn't bad.

The author of Watamote needs their head examined.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

golden bubble posted:

What is this from?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What is this from?

Write Sisters by Nico Tanigawa

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol seoul station's necromancer has veered into clash of clans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
So remember how Chef of Ice and Fire is about anything in the Xianxia genre EXCEPT cooking? Well Other-World Gourmet Shop (异世界的美食家) seems to be about actual cooking (somewhat). Basically, take Gourmet Food Supplier and stick it in a Xianxia setting, and have the MC deal with bullshit murderhobos rather than bullshit cheat system, and you get a marginally better story about ridiculous fantasy food being magically nutritious and tasty. 300 some chapters out in Chinese, but it doesn't seem to have any translators for it.