Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

Procrastinator posted:

Re: gp vancouver, I decided to opt out of the main event because I have to live in this city and am bad at modern. Just gonna jam some sick rear end side events. But we should get some food or drink or some poo poo when yall scrub out.

If you're bad at the format, just play Affinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

KillarySwank posted:

IDK why people think that affinity is so easy to play... It's not.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

KillarySwank posted:

The easiest deck to play in modern is bogles.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

The easiest deck to play in modern is bogles.

Definitely. You get to play four rounds, go 1-3 drop, and then go draft. It's perfect!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Definitely. You get to play four rounds, go 1-3 drop, and then go draft. It's perfect!

Never sleep on bogles.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Anybody got a modern toolbox list? I think I'm gonna switch my preferred 50/50 against everything deck from Junk to Grixis at some point and would like to make use of my fetches, shocks, chords/eldritch evolutions, companies, and hierarchs.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

Affinity is full of really intricate synergies and interactions that can produce insanely complicated decision trees, but also sometimes you just stick a Cranial Plating on something on turn 2 and attack a couple times. I think that's where people get the impression that Affinity is easy - it's not at all, but it's easier to win with when you're playing imperfectly than other super-complicated decks tend to be.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

Affinity is full of really intricate synergies and interactions that can produce insanely complicated decision trees, but also sometimes you just stick a Cranial Plating on something on turn 2 and attack a couple times. I think that's where people get the impression that Affinity is easy - it's not at all, but it's easier to win with when you're playing imperfectly than other super-complicated decks tend to be.

Affinity is really easy to play when you're a bad player...........................and really hard to play when you're a good one.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

mcmagic posted:

It's in the camp of decks that get branded as easy to navigate, but obviously require some level of tact (See: Burn). Even then, I'll admit that Affinity has a more lines than "Lava Spike you", but I can't shake off those bitter memories of losing to Affinity in Standard, and then losing to Affinity in Extended.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

A big flaming stink posted:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

This is it, the best stuff.

Also a bonus material is Liliana autisming her way into being friends with the jacetice league.
See, this is good for Jace realizing he's an insufferable twat, but it's not the best story they've put up.

That belongs to the story that's just a conversation between Kruphix and one of his prophets when he straight up tells her that Theros is just a speck of dust and there are bigger problems out there than all the other Gods being dicks to each other.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Has anybody had problems getting counterfeit cards from trusted sellers? Like, I bought a foil Chinese Darksteel Forge from Channel Fireball last night for my Breya EDH deck.

I trust them since I've had good experiences in the past with them but I'm sitting here today thinking, "well, if I ever was gonna get a fake card it would be a foil Chinese one that I can't even read."

I'd like to believe they vet the poo poo they sell since if they ever did get busted on that, it'd ruin their reputation as a seller, but I was just curious about any experiences y'all have had.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-z3eUbrD-g&t=735s

Expect LSV to bring up Destructive Tampering a lot at the Pro Tour

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Soul Glo posted:

Has anybody had problems getting counterfeit cards from trusted sellers? Like, I bought a foil Chinese Darksteel Forge from Channel Fireball last night for my Breya EDH deck.

I trust them since I've had good experiences in the past with them but I'm sitting here today thinking, "well, if I ever was gonna get a fake card it would be a foil Chinese one that I can't even read."

I'd like to believe they vet the poo poo they sell since if they ever did get busted on that, it'd ruin their reputation as a seller, but I was just curious about any experiences y'all have had.

I wouldn't worry about it, most fakes are knowingly bought for personal use. Trading counterfeit cards isn't a great scam because you're ripping people off in $50 increments. Unless it looks terrible you're probably getting something authentic. If it's a near-perfect fake I wouldn't worry about it, you probably wouldn't notice anyway.

Otherwise you can end up with situations like that poster earlier in the thread who sold a legit Misty but the guy who received it insisted some inconsequential quality wasn't present. Then they rip it to prove it's fake and the inside shows it's actually legit. Still :lol:ing at that

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BJPaskoff posted:

There was a Magic anthology book of short stories, I think it was Tapestries, but I can't find any real solid information on it other than the title. I remember a story about a Brass Man, and the cook with the really long name that was featured in the flavor text on a bunch of cards, and a story where some human hosed an elf in a cave which definitely wouldn't fly in today's Magic stories.

I read all the MTG books up til...the Mirrodin block ones (?) and I remember this anthology actually being not bad. The Ice Age books focusing on the immortal guy were pretty okay, especially the one where Jaya Ballard gets mind controlled by Lim-Dul. And I think the book for the Nemesis set (where Rayne dies fighting in the Jamuraa) was solid as well.

At least they were to ~15 year old me, I doubt I could make it through any of them without lots of wincing and sighing now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

No. All the big sellers double check buylist cards pretty tightly. The chances of you getting a fake in an order is going to be so incredibly small that it isn't worth the bother. The fakes good enough to get past them are good enough for you.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I wouldn't worry about it, most fakes are knowingly bought for personal use. Trading counterfeit cards isn't a great scam because you're ripping people off in $50 increments. Unless it looks terrible you're probably getting something authentic. If it's a near-perfect fake I wouldn't worry about it, you probably wouldn't notice anyway.

Otherwise you can end up with situations like that poster earlier in the thread who sold a legit Misty but the guy who received it insisted some inconsequential quality wasn't present. Then they rip it to prove it's fake and the inside shows it's actually legit. Still :lol:ing at that

My favorite "counterfeit" story is a guy on Facebook who bought some older (like Tempest) Chinese cards and was absolutely positive that they were counterfeits because of the text being different from their English counterparts.

The text on some older Chinese cards is bolder than their English counterparts.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
What's the current modern ok' bant spirits deck post rotation?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Exactly the same as it was.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Well the deck only really lost Grave-Troll

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/CalebDMTG/status/827107746373894144

https://twitter.com/CalebDMTG/status/827108109319553024

https://twitter.com/CalebDMTG/status/827108461913718784

[In "the aristocrats" voice] MODO!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Why would someone gently caress with Durward......he always seems like the nicest dude.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

for once this isn't MTGO's fault

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Can't blame Modo for this one. It's the owners of the bot who have done no sanity/authority checking.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

if you want a real thing to mock modo for, apparently you can't watch pre-aer replays now that aer dropped

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Coverage gonna call the Cat decks by their proper name tomorrow? I get not wanting to use obscure or goofy names, but copy cat is actually descriptive.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I'm still going to blame MODO for causing such an asinine commerce system to exist.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Rinkles posted:

Coverage gonna call the Cat decks by their proper name tomorrow? I get not wanting to use obscure or goofy names, but copy cat is actually descriptive.

After the "Thugs 'n Bugs" WOTC / Hasbro flipout / apology, I think we're probably going to get "Jeskai Saheeli" or "Four-Color Saheeli"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Jeskai and the Pussycats bust, imo. :colbert:

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

Dehtraen posted:

After the "Thugs 'n Bugs" WOTC / Hasbro flipout / apology, I think we're probably going to get "Jeskai Saheeli" or "Four-Color Saheeli"

I can genuinely understand their concern with the Infect name, but they're not calling it "Pussy Tosser"

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

black potus posted:

I'm still going to blame MODO for causing such an asinine commerce system to exist.

Yeah, this wouldn't be possible in the first place if trade requests didn't open a pop-up that had to be dealt with before being able to use the program further, and if you couldn't keep sending trade requests ad infinitum after getting one rejected. Anyone who builds a system without abuse-proofing it deserves a significant share of the blame.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Late again but the best MTG block novel was the collection of short stories that was the shadowmoor book that came in the fat pack. That may be because the only other one I read was one of the original ones that you cut out the back page for a promo card, I got a giant badger!

I wish Wotc just vetted out the really gross deck names but let us keep murder goats and breakfast burrito type names.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just filter out the really gross people tia

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

mehall posted:

Can't blame Modo for this one. It's the owners of the bot who have done no sanity/authority checking.

I can 100% blame them for making a trading request system that steals focus even in the middle of a match that's for prizes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

mehall posted:

Yes you can, why can't you just check Do Not Disturb to silently block all requests? Actually since Modo's economy is so hosed there's no reason I would ever want someone to send me a trade request ever so let me turn that off completely.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't know why its so satisfying to beat people down with Tezzeret's Touch on an Ornithopter. It's such a dumb play but it works far more often than it reasonably should.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

uPen posted:

Yes you can, why can't you just check Do Not Disturb to silently block all requests?

You can.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know why its so satisfying to beat people down with Tezzeret's Touch on an Ornithopter. It's such a dumb play but it works far more often than it reasonably should.

Because its literally better ensoul and we actually have not poo poo targets for it now.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Angry Grimace posted:

This definitely feels like an under-explored archetype

What else are you running alongside? Improvise stuff? Tezz hisself?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

sit on my Facebook posted:

This definitely feels like an under-explored archetype

What else are you running alongside? Improvise stuff? Tezz hisself?

Draft, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
In a draft where I got to Baral's into Tezzeret and then Tezz-Touch something to attack with next turn, I can confirm these are all fun and good cards.

• Locked thread