Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
They were really good if you're one of the people who know that you need to calibrate your wiimote to make it work good, which is apparently only 1% of wii owners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It tells you to do it every time you start.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jimmy Hats posted:

They were really good if you're one of the people who know that you need to calibrate your wiimote to make it work good, which is apparently only 1% of wii owners

No. They weren't good.

Good would be if they were equal to or better than a normal control scheme. But they were objectively worse.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

It tells you to do it every time you start.

Instructions are for losers, dumbasses, and cucks! Gimme that!

Why won't this thing work? PIECE OF poo poo

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I never really had issues that I can recall. I only played it once upon release though. Been meaning to replay it one of these days. Probably should try and do that before BotW comes out. Could the controls have been replaced by buttons? I'm sure some definitely could have been. You wouldn't be able to replicate sword motion though. Putting sword back on a button would require them to rework the whole game to not require a motion sword at all. You'd need more buttons overall, but at that point if you're not requiring motion you may as well use a classic controller or something.

I wonder how Dolphin emulates the motion. I've never tried a game that has motion controls heavily tied in, though I know there are ways to get wiimotes to work on PC.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The problem with the Skyward Sword controls was that the sword swing started from where you began moving the remote. When you swing from right to left, the remote ends up being positioned to your left. If you wanted to swing right to left again, you would naturally attempt to 'reset' your position by moving the remote from left to right in preparation of your new swing. The remote unfortunately read your left to right motion as a new swing, and thus in the game you would end up swinging left to right, when you wanted to swing right to left.

When you combine this with the fact that certain enemies sometimes move their guard too quickly and randomly for the player to intelligently outmaneuver them, and that other enemies would punish missed swings (like the electric bokoblins) and you get a very frustrating experience for the player, where they feel like they're actively fighting against the game controls.

This is is exacerbated with what someone said where almost all enemies are a variation on "swing in this direction to damage me" which makes the combat in the game feel frustrating and samey.

It doesn't help that you can't run and swing your sword like you could in Twilight Princess. The part at the end where you run down the ramps to save Zelda and have to fight all the bokoblins is very slow and not very fun because of the above.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

FPzero posted:

I never really had issues that I can recall. I only played it once upon release though. Been meaning to replay it one of these days. Probably should try and do that before BotW comes out. Could the controls have been replaced by buttons? I'm sure some definitely could have been. You wouldn't be able to replicate sword motion though. Putting sword back on a button would require them to rework the whole game to not require a motion sword at all. You'd need more buttons overall, but at that point if you're not requiring motion you may as well use a classic controller or something.

I wonder how Dolphin emulates the motion. I've never tried a game that has motion controls heavily tied in, though I know there are ways to get wiimotes to work on PC.

You get a bar that's the sensorbar and a Bluetooth that connects your wiimotes for like $15. It runs basically natively at that point. (but looks are runs better cause dolphin is amazing)

Wiimotion plus is required to play SS emulated, nobody has gotten it run other ways. Because like you say. The game is based around it, for the sword, fly items, everything.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

FPzero posted:

I think it'd be pretty easy to replicate with button presses, given that the '1:1' swordplay is really just limited to eight directions. Skyward Sword doesn't even let you move and swing at the same time so the left joystick is freed up to perform an A + Directional Input

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

FPzero posted:

You could probably create a control scheme similar to Metal Gear Rising: Dedicated face buttons for vertical and horizontal slashes, thumbstick for manual control.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Phimosissy posted:

Instructions are for losers, dumbasses, and cucks! Gimme that!

Aren't you forced to calibrate the Wiimote every time when you boot the game?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Borsche69 posted:

The problem with the Skyward Sword controls was that the sword swing started from where you began moving the remote. When you swing from right to left, the remote ends up being positioned to your left. If you wanted to swing right to left again, you would naturally attempt to 'reset' your position by moving the remote from left to right in preparation of your new swing. The remote unfortunately read your left to right motion as a new swing, and thus in the game you would end up swinging left to right, when you wanted to swing right to left.

When you combine this with the fact that certain enemies sometimes move their guard too quickly and randomly for the player to intelligently outmaneuver them, and that other enemies would punish missed swings (like the electric bokoblins) and you get a very frustrating experience for the player, where they feel like they're actively fighting against the game controls.

This is is exacerbated with what someone said where almost all enemies are a variation on "swing in this direction to damage me" which makes the combat in the game feel frustrating and samey.

It doesn't help that you can't run and swing your sword like you could in Twilight Princess. The part at the end where you run down the ramps to save Zelda and have to fight all the bokoblins is very slow and not very fun because of the above.

if you swing the remote over in an arc you can change the side your sword is on without attacking, which will let you do a double right>left like you want.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I like watching all the 80 year old grandpas who are afraid of new things out themselves

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

Aren't you forced to calibrate the Wiimote every time when you boot the game?

Yes but nothing forces you to do it correctly.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Lemming posted:

I like watching all the 80 year old grandpas who are afraid of new things out themselves

There's a reason Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess are regarded as the black sheeps of the console Zeldas and it's 100% because of Wiimotes.

gently caress Wiimotes forever. If that makes me an 80 year old grandpa then get the gently caress off my lawn.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Phimosissy posted:

Yes but nothing forces you to do it correctly.

Isn't that literally impossible to do? Don't you have to set it down completely flat without moving it at all on it's face?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
They are actually regarded as two extremely good games by a large majority of people though, aren't they? I thoroughly enjoyed them both and had no issues with the controls :shrug:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The things I liked as an uncritical child were better than the things you liked as an uncritical child.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

s.i.r.e. posted:

Isn't that literally impossible to do? Don't you have to set it down completely flat without moving it at all on it's face?

I just put it down on a table v:shobon:v

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kirios posted:

There's a reason Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess are regarded as the black sheeps of the console Zeldas and it's 100% because of Wiimotes.

...no? Twilight Princess's failings don't have anything to do with the wiimote. It's ten hour intro and general lack of focus are it's failings. It's pretty ugly too.

People do get hung up over motion controls with Skyward Sword, but they work just fine. It's failings are too much filler and Fi being terrible.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

...no? Twilight Princess's failings don't have anything to do with the wiimote. It's ten hour intro and general lack of focus are it's failings. It's pretty ugly too.

People do get hung up over motion controls with Skyward Sword, but they work just fine. It's failings are too much filler and Fi being terrible.

I hate the spirit trials in Skyward Sword.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Fi is really, really, really goddamn terrible.

I played TP on gamecube as god intended and liked it so I can't speak to the wiimote problems there.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ya, I hated playing TP on a non-CRT because of the gloomy twilight sections. It really sucked when my LCD at the time didn't let me control brightness when in game mode. It was much more pleasant to the play on the WiiU re-release.

They should have released a patch for SS on the WiiU to map controls in lieu of the motion controls. I wonder how much work that really would have required. I would have paid for that patch alone.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I was playing SS a while ago on my WiiU using the gamepad as the screen and using the sensor bar on the gamepad actually worked pretty good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kirios posted:

gently caress Wiimotes forever. If that makes me an 80 year old grandpa then get the gently caress off my lawn.

Actually Adventures of Link is the one and only black sheep of the console Zeldas and is only liked (let alone remembered) by hardcore fans.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mahoning posted:

Actually Adventures of Link is the one and only black sheep of the console Zeldas and is only liked (let alone remembered) by hardcore fans.

Too hard for you, huh?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Too hard for me as well.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Granted, yes, the GCN / Wii U versions of Twilight Princess turn it into a solid but unspectacular Zelda game. It's still a bottom tier one.

Skyward Sword is all sorts of bad though. That's the one that I find hard to believe people actually defend.

Edit: Almost as bad as people defending the loving Wiimote of all things in 2017.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I freely admit Zelda 2 is too hard for me, but I love watching speed runs of it. It's good.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mahoning posted:

Zelda 2 is honestly one of the best in the franchise, partially because it made the world seem so massive. If BotW feels like that as well, I'll be extremely happy.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If we're hopping aboard the Zelda 2 is better than Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess train then buy me a ticket.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Twilight Princess had a great overworld and the best Navi, SS had the most fun gameplay and Groose

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kirios posted:

Granted, yes, the GCN / Wii U versions of Twilight Princess turn it into a solid but unspectacular Zelda game. It's still a bottom tier one.

Skyward Sword is all sorts of bad though. That's the one that I find hard to believe people actually defend.

Edit: Almost as bad as people defending the loving Wiimote of all things in 2017.

Wiimotes worked great for me though. Metroid prime, TP, punchout and other poo poo I've played work just fine. Like, sorry you have issues using a stick that you wave around and point at poo poo.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://u.nya.is/tbdlcy.webm

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Too hard for you, huh?

It's hands down the ugliest game in the series. It legitimately is a step down design-wise from LoZ.

Admittedly it adds a ton of features that are Zelda staples nowadays but that's about all it's good for.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kirios posted:

Twilight Princess for the Wii also made Link right-handed to match the Wiimote usage IIRC. He's also right-handed in BotW now. That poo poo's unforgivable. :colbert:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

Wiimotes worked great for me though. Metroid prime, TP, punchout and other poo poo I've played work just fine. Like, sorry you have issues using a stick that you wave around and point at poo poo.

Again, people defending the Wiimote in 2017 baffles me. Guess you won't be buying the Switch since it doesn't have motion control. Oh well, you're missing out!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I appreciate what Zelda 2 attempted. I think it would be legitimately interesting to see it get remade or a new game in its vein attempted because honestly the only thing stopping me from enjoying it more was the difficulty + lives system. I've made some honest attempts to beat it over the years but they've never worked out.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The one of the Nazi getting punched works better.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Waggle is all well and good but it shouldn't be the primary way that you interact with the world imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

If you like Zelda 2 and want more from it, I suggest grabbing the Zelda 2 Randomizer. It makes the game ridiculous and a fun puzzle.

• Locked thread