Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Zzulu posted:

How many viking classes can you even make

This guy has an axe! THIS guy has a bigger axe!! THIS guy has two axes!! THIS GUY HAS TWO BIG AXES :O

Axes are cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I guess they could explore hammers too

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Zzulu posted:

This guy has an axe! THIS guy has a bigger axe!! THIS guy has two axes!! THIS GUY HAS TWO BIG AXES :O

Probably as many as you could in any other fighting game? What matters is HOW they play and how different they feel.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This guy is an axe. :black101:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Now I want a viking who just beats on people with his fists

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Now I want a viking who just beats on people with his fists

Game needs a guy who runs around hitting people with just the head of an axe.

And a guy who runs around with fists on sticks.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
For Honor 2018: Four kinds of Samurai and Knights, twenty kinds of Viking.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

lohli posted:

Game needs a guy who runs around hitting people with just the head of an axe.

And a guy who runs around with fists on sticks.

Boy, do I have the weapon for you:

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Knights need a peasant class.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
So basically this?

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Offering up a 3 day open beta leading up to release is a wonderful sign for any game. Really proves the studio is proud of what they've put together and are confident in it as long as people give it a try. That, coupled with the post-release schedule trailer, really has me hyped up for the future of this game.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 2, 2017

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Zzulu posted:

Warlord with 2 shields, his name will be shieldlord but seeing that he will automatically parry you we'll call him shitlord.

I'm a genius.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Hard posted:

Warlord with 2 shields, his name will be shieldlord but seeing that he will automatically parry you we'll call him shitlord.

I'm a genius.

Dude, Dark Souls 2 best gimmick was the double shield build. It was utter poo poo, but that made killing people with it so much more satisfying.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

panda clue posted:

Offering up a 3 day open beta leading up to release is a wonderful sign for any game. Really proves the studio is proud of what they've put together and are confident in as long as people give it a try. That, coupled with the post-release schedule trailer, really has me hyped up for the future of this game.

Even at the risk of cheerleading a bit, I have been pretty impressed with the overall development process of this game. There have been steady improvements from one alpha to another, and they've generally been very responsive in addressing balance concerns. Ask me about loudly bitching about the reflect mechanic on their forums until they've nerfed it to its current iteration.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
MYSTERY

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Release thread title: Who have stole the Orochi scabbard ?!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I can't find any information online about what the Delux Editions actually contains -- do you guys know? Can you point me in the right direction?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Pretty sure all the preorder / deluxe edition / season pass stuff is 100% not worth a poo poo, like some different skin customization options and a small amount of the 'premium' subscription that gives you bonus xp, the season pass being 1 week early access to the new classes that get added.

I wish Ubisoft would add the info back to the purchase pages but maybe they are still thinking about changing it. More likely is they know it's poo poo and don't want to lose sales of people who go 'bonus content omg' and spend the extra money immediately.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

I can't find any information online about what the Delux Editions actually contains -- do you guys know? Can you point me in the right direction?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

there's poo poo i should add to the op but my god im lazy

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

rap music posted:

there's poo poo i should add to the op but my god im lazy

Eh don't bother. The open beta and release are both real soon. Might as well just tidy it up then.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

ok phew thanks guys

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Perestroika posted:

So, just looking at the silhouettes of that promo image, apparently one of the new heroes will be some kind of ninja-person with sickles, and some sort of roman centurion guy. I'm down with that.

Yep, Samurai with Kusari and some kinda Roman guy with a Gladius, prooobably with a big roman tower shield too.

I wonder if Roman guy is Viking? Knight?

panda clue posted:

Offering up a 3 day open beta leading up to release is a wonderful sign for any game. Really proves the studio is proud of what they've put together and are confident in it as long as people give it a try. That, coupled with the post-release schedule trailer, really has me hyped up for the future of this game.

same

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Viking guy decked out in stolen poo poo would be great

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Played during two alphas and I can confirm that this is the only thing I can think about when I faught against or played as the Orochi.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I demand an investigation of the missing Orochi scabbard.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Are "bad hombres" from Viking lands responsible???

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

I demand an investigation of the missing Orochi scabbard.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
So, if the new maps and modes are going to be free, and the heroes too (?) does anyone think the season pass will be worth it in any way? I guess it's hard to say since it's still unclear to me what the season pass contains apart from some "bonus" things and 1 week early access to new heroes.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
From what I can gather, people expect you to be able to buy future characters with in-game currency, with 1 character worth of currency requiring around 15 hours of gameplay. You will likely also be able to buy currency with $$$ to speed this along if you really want to.

The season pass seems to just give you these characters by default, and a week earlier than everyone else. If you plan on playing a lot and don't care about the cosmetic swag, the season pass is likely not worth it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zzulu posted:

Who's to say they plan to keep at the base three factions forever

Saracens, Mongols, Nahuatl

There's a lot of room for cool stuff if they don't bind themselves to the original three forever. I'd think they'd have to diverge at some point, at two heroes every 3 months.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Faction War probably solidifies a three faction system.

What is more likely is that they do the Extremely Obvious Thing and take advantage of the cataclysm present in the lore. Oh look, after this here volcano storm or whatever, survivors from Not Rome have made it to our lands! They have joined forces with the Knights faction. Meanwhile, the Not Egyptians have thrown in their lot with the Samurai!

Stuff like that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Chomp8645 posted:

The Faction War probably solidifies a three faction system.

What is more likely is that they do the Extremely Obvious Thing and take advantage of the cataclysm present in the lore. Oh look, after this here volcano storm or whatever, survivors from Not Rome have made it to our lands! They have joined forces with the Knights faction. Meanwhile, the Not Egyptians have thrown in their lot with the Samurai!

Stuff like that.

That's functionally equally good, and I'm down with that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

That's functionally equally good, and I'm down with that.

Yeah, should be good. It comes with the added advantage of not requiring them to commit to a full four characters just to add in new peeps. They can just make two Romans if they want, or even just one. It enables fluid additions to the rosters.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Minor question, does anyone know if the season pass 30 day exp boost is something that is likely to start automatically or can you choose when to start it? was there something similar in R6 siege or something

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wandle Cax posted:

Minor question, does anyone know if the season pass 30 day exp boost is something that is likely to start automatically or can you choose when to start it? was there something similar in R6 siege or something

Hard to say, but you can buy more days of exp boost with in-game currency later if you want, at the very least.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I have to say that I'm extremely please dwith the season pass + general DLC plan.

Anyone who was listening to me before (>0 people???) know that I was skeptical of this game's value compared to the price point. But I was assessing that value based on the assumption that, as per most AAA games now, that after my $60 purchase of the game I would face an additional hurdle of "buy the season pass or be treated like a second class citizen". I've never played Siege so I wasn't familiar with the model at all. This setup is actually extremely cool and good. And coming from games like Star Wars: Battlefront, where the season pass content fractures the player base and basically makes the base game owners feel like assholes, it's a breath of fresh air. It's basically a model that says "you should probably buy the pass if you have less time than money. But if you plan to play a lot then it's up to you bro. Buy it or not you'll be ok!" And I love that. Giving everyone access to content for earn-able currency is good. Giving everyone the new maps and modes is GOOD. It is something that I'm not used to seeing among big name productions. The fact that I'm not really pressured into the season pass (and it's not an unofficial Must Buy) is really nice, and it significantly alters how I assess the game's value.

This basically clears my concern as to the game's content:price ratio. My other big remaining concern is that during the closed beta I experienced big connection problems during Dominion, as did the people I was playing with. If they clear that up during the open beta then I have to say this will be one HOT game for 2017. I'm eagerly awaiting to open beta to see if this is the case.

p.s. Represent Samurai errday.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 3, 2017

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I feel in the minority for some reason that I'm going to be probably playing Warden or Conqueror exclusively. Maybe some Valkyrie if I'm feeling frisky.

I mean, I'd be only the Conqueror (love flails and maces) if the Warden didn't look so cool. And Valkyrie because spears are cool and are underrepresented in video games.

Basically, if I could play a Warden with a flail/mace that'd be my dream hero.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I can't remember exactly, but I thought you had to buy the new heroes in siege, no option to use in-game currency? Or maybe that's just the newest ones or maybe I got it all wrong. Either way it's good that they add the free maps and possibly modes and cosmetics and poo poo regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Prawned posted:

I can't remember exactly, but I thought you had to buy the new heroes in siege, no option to use in-game currency? Or maybe that's just the newest ones or maybe I got it all wrong. Either way it's good that they add the free maps and possibly modes and cosmetics and poo poo regardless.

people who had the season pass got the new operators for free and had them exclusively for a week. after that week you could buy them with ingame money. they were vastly more expensive than the base operators but if you played regularly the prior season you could immediately purchase them after they were available to non season pass users.

it's a pretty smart system all together.