Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Timby posted:

This was because Marvel is incredibly petty and killed the book because Fox can't make a good movie from it and yet refuses to cough up the rights.

I've been staring at this sentence for like five minutes and I have no idea how to parse it.

Sony has to focus their cameras. I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

MisterBibs posted:

But your average person literally wouldn't know what Green Lantern is if a real one came down from up high and slapped a ring on them. When it comes to DC, their public attention is probably just Superman and Batman. Green Lantern has no Q score, or whatever it's called.
The average person didn't know Iron Man either.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Or most of the other Avengers, or hell talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Or Harley Quinn, for that matter. Now she's one of DC's top tier characters in terms of popularity. Suicide Squad only helped that even more.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

RBA Starblade posted:

I want a movie where Batman uncovers more and more of a horrible plot that threatens to first kill or harm dozens of random people, to hundreds, then finally thousands in increasingly warped and psychotic ways as the movie goes on, but Batman can't seem to find exactly how or what this "Joker" is planning. Finally, at the climax and increasingly desperate, Batman comes face to face with the Joker in front of the world as the media copters shine a light down. Batman steps forward to attack the Joker, triggering a pressure plate in the street. A gigantic whoopie cushion lets out the world's greatest fart. No one was ever in any danger except the "gangsters" he paid to be in on it (sorry about your arm Bob Batman's pretty hosed up) the Joker just wanted to punk Batman really hard and then did. The End

e: The post-credits scene shows Clark Kent in the helicopter laughing and a flashback of Superman helping out the Joker with other parts of it because Christ, Batman's an rear end in a top hat.

So you want a movie along these lines?

Edit: I hope you'd title your movie "Batman's Greatest Boner" too. :blush:

DarkSol fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 3, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Timby posted:

I've been staring at this sentence for like five minutes and I have no idea how to parse it.
"You would think Sony would focus on making good X-men movies as it's possibly their last remaining superhero franchise they haven't turned into huge underperformers/failures, instead they feel cheap, look rushed and are badly-written."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Or most of the other Avengers, or hell talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy.
Guardians was a bit of a surprise because they got talented people to turn an obscure comic book into a fun movie that appealed to a lot of people. FF just seems so dated and uncool though that I doubt it could be sold to a modern audience. Trying to make it gritty and slapping Miles Teller's doofy face on it only made it worse.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

DarkSol posted:

I'd 100% watch the second one.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Incredibles is the best F4 movie.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pierson posted:

"You would think Sony would focus on making good X-men movies as it's possibly their last remaining superhero franchise they haven't turned into huge underperformers/failures, instead they feel cheap, look rushed and are badly-written."

Wait that is what he didn't get? It's fairly clear.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait that is what he didn't get? It's fairly clear.

well for one sony doesn't do the x-men movies, fox does

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Brother Entropy posted:

well for one sony doesn't do the x-men movies, fox does

I already said that yeah. Not like it really makes a difference.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
What's weird is that the X-Men movies cost a ton of money and don't usually look it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Does the money all go to Jackman and Patrick Stewart being in for one minute or whatever? Like how Sean Connery got $9 million for Highlander II: The Quickening when its entire budget was $30 million?

There was a Bruce Willis movie, I want to say it was Last Man Standing? He got paid like 1/3 more than the entire movie's budget, like what?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 3, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
First Class is the best X-Men movie. I want more of that. Not... whatever the poo poo Logan is trying to do.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

precision posted:

First Class is the best X-Men movie. I want more of that. Not... whatever the poo poo Logan is trying to do.

...be interestng?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

First class is a real bad movie that is covered by two good performances.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

This was because Marvel is incredibly petty and killed the book because Fox can't make a good movie from it and yet refuses to cough up the rights.

I dunno, it's not like they stopped publishing X books. I think it was just a poor performing book with a lackluster writer and Secret Wars was a good excuse to put it on the shelf for awhile. If some writer they like pitches an excellent story, they'll probably bring it back.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Skwirl posted:

I dunno, it's not like they stopped publishing X books. I think it was just a poor performing book with a lackluster writer and Secret Wars was a good excuse to put it on the shelf for awhile. If some writer they like pitches an excellent story, they'll probably bring it back.

They where planning stopping Xbooks at one point. Which is why we have all those dumb inhuman books

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

They where planning stopping Xbooks at one point. Which is why we have all those dumb inhuman books

It's a common theory that this whole Inhuman initiative was started by Ike Perlmutter because he can't get the movie rights to X-Men back. Now sales of most Inhuman books are pretty middling compared to X-Men books and Kevin Feige jettisoned the Inhumans movie from Marvel Studios lineup, so he tries to salvage this with making the pilot episodes of the Inhuman TV show in IMAX with a theatrical premier and then cutting a deal with Fox to make two X-Men TV shows (Legion and the Matt Nix one).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

Every X-Men movie ever is a real bad movie that is covered by 1-3 good performances.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The second one is legitimately good, and the first is still an impressive use of run time (an entire ensemble introduced and the movie is only 105 minutes) that actually gets more impressive as time goes on.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The first one is remarkable for how story-centered and character-driven it is. It was made really early into the superhero movie craze and doesn't come with that sense of obligation that it must be gratuitous about everything. X-Men remade today would have 60 minutes of setpiece padding.

X-Men 2 is a really dark film without smothering you in that the way later "dark" comic book movies would.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
X2 and First Class are both rather good, especially the former. They're at least as even with any of the other better films adapted from Marvel properties: The First Avengers, Hulk, Deadpool, Spider-Man 2, Spirit of Vengeance.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

All this talk about X-Men and no mention of Days of Future Past? That is legit a really good movie. The scenes with sentinels *killing* superheroes are insane.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The X-Men movies are all kinda messy but that's inevitable given the source material. It's all about just how interesting the chaos is, and some of the time it works.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

All this talk about X-Men and no mention of Days of Future Past? That is legit a really good movie. The scenes with sentinels *killing* superheroes are insane.

It has some good bits for sure.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like DOFP but it's impressive how much I thought the Rogue Cut improved it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

"Who the gently caress is Blade?" - everyone, before the movie came out

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Grendels Dad posted:

"Who the gently caress is Blade?" - everyone, before the movie came out

I don't think most people even know that Blade is a comic book character.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Blade in the Spider-Man cartoon was sick.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

In terms of FF movies, I feel that they miss the point. They try and have them be big heroes, celebrities, etc. But FF is a family first, and I feel - probably incorrectly - that the best screen translation would be as PG-esque family adventure movie with Franklin as the viewer identification character. Reed as the lovable Dad, somewhat absent minded, who wont ever give up on you; Sue as the Mom who loves her absent-minded professor husband and will kick anyones rear end that tries to hurt her family. Johnny as the irascible uncle who possibly encourage Franklin in his shenanigans, and Ben as the big old cuddly teddy bear that gets heaps of abuse so that Franklin can learn a Valuable Lesson about... I dunno, heart is more important than looks.

Basically, I think Honey I Shrunk the Kids would be the best template. Would accept Rick Moranis as Mole Man.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Moreau posted:

In terms of FF movies, I feel that they miss the point. They try and have them be big heroes, celebrities, etc. But FF is a family first, and I feel - probably incorrectly - that the best screen translation would be as PG-esque family adventure movie with Franklin as the viewer identification character. Reed as the lovable Dad, somewhat absent minded, who wont ever give up on you; Sue as the Mom who loves her absent-minded professor husband and will kick anyones rear end that tries to hurt her family. Johnny as the irascible uncle who possibly encourage Franklin in his shenanigans, and Ben as the big old cuddly teddy bear that gets heaps of abuse so that Franklin can learn a Valuable Lesson about... I dunno, heart is more important than looks.

Basically, I think Honey I Shrunk the Kids would be the best template. Would accept Rick Moranis as Mole Man.

it's been said a million times but the incredibles is the best fantastic four movie we're ever gonna get

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Moreau posted:

How about we just stick with The Incredibles and call it a day?

EDIT: DAMNIT

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Chairman Capone posted:

I like DOFP but it's impressive how much I thought the Rogue Cut improved it.

Rogue cut?

I like most of the xmen movies but they're pretty much the same story every time.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

got any sevens posted:

Rogue cut?

I like most of the xmen movies but they're pretty much the same story every time.

Rogue Cut is the home video release of DOFP with a cut subplot involving Rogue.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If I’m not wrong the Rogue Cut has *a lot* less Ellen Page so it can gently caress right off imo

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 3, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Imagine for a moment a world where the x-men movies didn't get a cast that is much, much too good for the franchise.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want to see Morbius the living vampire in a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DarkSol posted:

Edit: I hope you'd title your movie "Batman's Greatest Boner" too. :blush:

Well, obviously. :v:

• Locked thread