Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

AradoBalanga posted:

Kind of surprised Assault Horizon Legacy didn't get its own little panel. Like so:

:byodood: Remake 2, but slap Assault Horizon's name on it.
:( But 2 has nothi--
:byodood: HERE COMES THE BOOM

Yeah but then you suddenly have to add the PSP games onto that list and then it becomes too big for its own good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Found this earlier. Also trying to find info about At Skies' Edge is kinda tricky because all google points towards is an album and self help books. :v:
Haven't even heard of it until now even.

The Namco executive there looks like Uncle Dojima from Hiimdaisy's Persona 4 comics.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

Found this earlier. Also trying to find info about At Skies' Edge is kinda tricky because all google points towards is an album and self help books. :v:
Haven't even heard of it until now even.

Thanks for the av.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I know it's not your comic, Auto, but the Ace Combat Zero should have had the boss saying "it's time".

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Is that my version of the Phoenix emblem they used under the first panel?
drat, even after Acepedia deleted it in favor of an official image from Infinity, that thing still gets around.

I imagine this is what it'd feel like if I had a kid who grew up to be a bit-part actor in just about everything I ever watched from then on.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

The scratched-out tail code is cool as hell, I wonder if at some point the protagonist goes rogue or disavows the OADF?

With the scenes of prison and the mention of convicts over the radio, I can't help but wonder if the protagonist/allied squadron are conscripted convicts flying for...a reduced sentence or the like. Don't ask me how its supposed to make sense, but it sounds like exactly the kind of wacky drama an Ace Combat game would pull.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Penal Pilots? Yeah I can see that being a thing in Strangereal.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Everyman posted:

With the scenes of prison and the mention of convicts over the radio, I can't help but wonder if the protagonist/allied squadron are conscripted convicts flying for...a reduced sentence or the like. Don't ask me how its supposed to make sense, but it sounds like exactly the kind of wacky drama an Ace Combat game would pull.

Court martialed pilots. They were drummed out years ago for insulting superior officers and stuff, but it was a lot later than it should have been because they were just so drat good at their jobs.*

*(The above is a fan theory)

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I was watching a video of the Ace of Aces version of 6's heavy command cruiser mission. Apparently the "extra ace squadrons" are a group of cargo and LNG ships. The cargo ships have several containers on deck which clearly bear the General Resource logo. Food for thought.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
:eyepop:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

So, our brand new PS4 shipped yesterday. My sister really likes Kingdom Hearts, and is willing to shell out a bunch of money for a PS4 to play it.

What the heck am I going to do with it until AC7 happens? I didn't even need it for AC7 due to the PC port, but now that I have it I may as well play it on the PS4. I'm a PC gamer who plays lots of strategy games and stuff!

Oh well, I guess it's a Blu-Ray player if nothing else.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Inglonias posted:

So, our brand new PS4 shipped yesterday. My sister really likes Kingdom Hearts, and is willing to shell out a bunch of money for a PS4 to play it.

What the heck am I going to do with it until AC7 happens? I didn't even need it for AC7 due to the PC port, but now that I have it I may as well play it on the PS4. I'm a PC gamer who plays lots of strategy games and stuff!

Oh well, I guess it's a Blu-Ray player if nothing else.

The Last of Us and Uncharted are some pretty dang good Playstation exclusives, and the remastered versions (and UC4) are all available for PS4. That Horizon: Zero Dawn game is coming out at the end of February and looks pretty neat so far.

Not too much on the strategy end as far as I'm aware, mostly due to the input type.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

The Last of Us and Uncharted are some pretty dang good Playstation exclusives, and the remastered versions (and UC4) are all available for PS4. That Horizon: Zero Dawn game is coming out at the end of February and looks pretty neat so far.

Not too much on the strategy end as far as I'm aware, mostly due to the input type.

I'm under no illusions that I'd be able to play strategy games on the PS4. I've owned consoles before. Typically strategy games don't work too well on them. (though that port of Command and Conquer to the N64 wasn't too bad, it's just a shame they had to axe 95% of the cutscenes to fit the game on the cartridge.)

EDIT: To clarify, any further questions about my new fancy blu ray player will go in the correct thread.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 2, 2017

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Inglonias posted:

Court martialed pilots. They were drummed out years ago for insulting superior officers and stuff, but it was a lot later than it should have been because they were just so drat good at their jobs.*

This actually kinda happens in Ace Combat 6, so it's actually plausible.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

thetruegentleman posted:

This actually kinda happens in Ace Combat 6, so it's actually plausible.

Umm...citation needed? Are you talking about the tank crew?

Edit: After further reflection, are you talking about how Garuda is confined to quarters prior to the start of the WMD mission? Because AFAIK that's not the sort of thing that would be that odd in the armed forces of our world today.

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 2, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Everyman posted:

It's like the French Foreign Legion. Except in Osea. And with more planes.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think TTG is misinterpreting an event in 6 but I'm not going to say more than that. I get what you're referring to but I think there's a very significant difference to what we saw in the trailer for 7; and that assumes we're interpreting it anywhere close to correctly.

now that said, independent of any context, the idea of a penal pilot camp? it's not like this hasn't been done before. let's just sort of ... hypothetically assume there are some pilots who signed some bad contracts and have to pay off a significant, uh, let's call it debt. But the quartermaster is really corrupt so no matter how much they get paid for doing these insanely high-risk missions they never quite seem to break even, especially when they have to replace their planes... now where have I heard this before?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

now that said, independent of any context, the idea of a penal pilot camp? it's not like this hasn't been done before. let's just sort of ... hypothetically assume there are some pilots who signed some bad contracts and have to pay off a significant, uh, let's call it debt. But the quartermaster is really corrupt so no matter how much they get paid for doing these insanely high-risk missions they never quite seem to break even, especially when they have to replace their planes... now where have I heard this before?

You mean some kind of... United Nations Squadron located in an area designed 8 or something?
Yeah I have no idea what you are talking about here.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm just saying if they had a typo on the case when they went to print Ace Combat 8 and accidentally wrote out Ace Combat 88 I'd really be okay with this mistake

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Psion posted:

I'm just saying if they had a typo on the case when they went to print Ace Combat 8 and accidentally wrote out Ace Combat 88 I'd really be okay with this mistake

Not in this political climate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
But seriously though, does anyone know what the gently caress happened to Concordat's LP of Ace Combat 5? :confused:

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I am so ready for AC5 that I've been spamming every song queue in every Twitch stream I'm in with Blurry. Those poor bastards.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

nine-gear crow posted:

But seriously though, does anyone know what the gently caress happened to Concordat's LP of Ace Combat 5? :confused:

I'd guess that the death of Viddler killed all the motivation: nothing quite like having all your work just kinda disappear.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

thetruegentleman posted:

I'd guess that the death of Viddler killed all the motivation: nothing quite like having all your work just kinda disappear.

His Star Fox 64 LP is on YT though.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Recording for Assault Horizon missions 1 and 2 now complete. I hope to make it at least a third of the way through the campaign by the end of the day.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks to Son Ryo and Cooked Auto for joining me in a few missions of co-op campaign after I got done recording for the day! (And apologies to Kadorhal, whom I also invited without realizing that co-op is limited to 3 slots because Guts is apparently too much of a snowflake to ever be played by an actual human.) Anybody whom I haven't already added on Steam, feel free to do so so we can have something approaching a fully stocked Capital Conquest session at some point because that poo poo is amazing. (And I really want to unlock some more skins other than just F-15E Garuda :P)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

NobleSixFour posted:

Thanks to Son Ryo and Cooked Auto for joining me in a few missions of co-op campaign after I got done recording for the day! (And apologies to Kadorhal, whom I also invited without realizing that co-op is limited to 3 slots because Guts is apparently too much of a snowflake to ever be played by an actual human.) Anybody whom I haven't already added on Steam, feel free to do so so we can have something approaching a fully stocked Capital Conquest session at some point because that poo poo is amazing. (And I really want to unlock some more skins other than just F-15E Garuda :P)

You're welcome. Even if you had an open mic through most of that. :cheeky:
Even if I learned a couple of things.
1. Playing the game at 12 FPS is not fun the slightest. Makes me wonder how much FPS I had on my old machine when I play it the first time.
2. The controls are jankier than I remembered it. The optimum ones feel really stiff and unresponsive while the default ones are too sensitive even with the settings down to 1.
Does make me kind of worried how the PC version of 7 will look like.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

Even if you had an open mic through most of that. :cheeky:

Oh god really? I need to figure out how this poo poo works then. :P

Cooked Auto posted:

Does make me kind of worried how the PC version of 7 will look like.

I see where you're coming from, but I'm heartened by the fact that they're saying it's going to be on PC this early in the process, as opposed to Assault Horizon, which wasn't even announced for PC until the first major patch for consoles (Nov of 2012) or even released until almost 18 months after consoles (late Jan 2013 vs October 2011).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

NobleSixFour posted:

Oh god really? I need to figure out how this poo poo works then. :P

Check your Steam microphone settings and not have it broadcast whenever you speak. That should fix things easily.

NobleSixFour posted:

I see where you're coming from, but I'm heartened by the fact that they're saying it's going to be on PC this early in the process, as opposed to Assault Horizon, which wasn't even announced for PC until the first major patch for consoles (Nov of 2012) or even released until almost 18 months after consoles (late Jan 2013 vs October 2011).

True but I am not keeping my hopes up all that much since I think the DS3 PC port was also kind of lacklustre despite being a thing from the start I believe.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Was it "the graphics options start and end with vsync" lackluster though?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

NobleSixFour posted:

gently caress it, why not? Should I PM you my steam username?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

NobleSixFour posted:

(And apologies to Kadorhal, whom I also invited without realizing that co-op is limited to 3 slots because Guts is apparently too much of a snowflake to ever be played by an actual human.)

No worries, at the very least I have my control settings ready (without the game setting them back to default every time, hopefully) for the next time.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
My steam name is the same as on here, go ahead and add me

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Seeing as everyone else is talking about AH (and as someone who really had no exposure to Ace Combat before this LP series), is it worth getting AH just as a taste of Ace Combat before AC7 comes out whenever? Or should I just stick to trying to find an emulator of the 'Golden Trilogy'?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
My Internet was out for the past two weeks, so just pretend I posted this last month sometime.

Missions 30 to 35: Search and Destroy, Tunnel Vision, Night Raven, Geofront Attack, Aurora, Electrosphere

Part 10: I Love This [XFA-36A] (wingmen: nine-gear crow, Lunethex)

It's been a weirdly long school year. Did we even do any school work? All I remember were the constant parties, fights, hanging out with friends, and very severely responding to everyone who antagonised us. In any case, it's graduation day! But that Ouroboros is a troublemaker and sabotaged the presentation! Even after beating him up again, we had to go under the stage to make sure no trap doors fell out from under anyone, stop him from flying remote-control planes into the crowd, and you don't even want to know the website he had set up to display on the projector. But at least we were able to put a stop to all of it and collect our degree, having passed with flying colours.. I don't know what kind of job economy there is for our set of skills, honestly.

Mission 36: Geopelia

Part 11: P-choo! (wingman: nine-gear crow)

While we wait to find a real career, Neumann, that stupid nerd, offered us money to blow up his latest toys that had gotten hacked into. Wasn't the best paying job, but we got some very interesting samples of code out of it. He's apparently got his own satellite network, who knew?

The final string of missions railroads the player along as all the Japanese storylines converge in a simultaneous burst of plot and lack of plot. More cutscenes and text explanations pop up here than anywhere else, yet no information is actually given. The Night Raven and Aurora become the new targets without knowing what they are and why any of it is happening. Nevertheless, that Megafloat destruction scene was pretty dope.

Looked at from a distance and with the context of the Japanese version this all looks like a mess. The Night Raven fight is stretched across three missions, the Aurora shows up once again after inexplicably appearing twice before only now it's an actual fight, and for no reason other than that there were no mission briefings for the missions, the game doesn't back out to the menu to let you switch planes where it had before. Looked at up-close, through the eyes of a child with no context for the Japanese version, no experience with the previous games, and fully engaging with the relatively throwaway mission briefings without knowing that none of it means anything, a single fighter destroying the city you've been protecting across the entire game is a fairly awe-inspiring moment, and immediately being launched into a stellar tunnel run and a series of boss fights, culminating in a webzone fight with an AI, is a cool way to finish out a game. It's a glimpse at the bizarre and fuelled my desire to play more Ace Combat with the same level of gameplay and more of a focus on story. Fortunately, just a few years later…

And then there's the bonus mission, unlocked after getting a B-rank or higher on every previous mission, in which you need to destroy eight planes that can completely pick and choose to not get hit. With that mission in the game, I believe the international version of Electrosphere covers four of the five possible endings of the original game. Or three and a half, I guess. None of them are regarded with any importance other than the titular mission, and the game overall contains 36 of the 52 original missions. Without a proper story to wrap that around and considering there are a handful of ultra-short story missions that are now rendered meaningless, as well as "literally the same mission from the other side of the conflict," the game did an impressive job in fitting just about every mission in.

My stance hasn't changed over the years; it's a fantastic Ace Combat game to play, and with Project Nemo done and dusted, you can play the original game in English as well. It's completely deserving of a place in the Strangereal canon, even if that place is by way of an Assault Horizon: Legacy-style remake. Even that would acknowledge it and put in the necessary work to fit it in with the universe that became after the second and third games in the series. A game in which you go to space should not be so readily thrown by the wayside.

OSL is the best, the laser cannon on the X-49 and XR-900 is easy to use no matter what any other AC3 LPers might say, and MIRV is still useless. Thanks everybody who stuck with me for this ride that went on a lot longer than I was expecting, but at least I made it before the LP finished the thread closed, eh? That's about it for me, I think.

Note to self: make up something for the Night Raven and Geopelia before posting. Also get more milk on the way home from work. Also start using the reminders app instead of whatever tab is currently open all the time.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 7, 2017

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I was always OK with Electrosphere having no plot, it's not like AC2 had any. What really hosed with me at the time was that the flying model was completely different and almost unusable without an analog pad. It took me longer than a decade to warm up to it and now it's one of my favorite games in the series and my absolute favorite OST. Best HUD in the series too IMO, I really miss the holographic artificial horizon in the other games

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

OddHaberdasher posted:

Seeing as everyone else is talking about AH (and as someone who really had no exposure to Ace Combat before this LP series), is it worth getting AH just as a taste of Ace Combat before AC7 comes out whenever? Or should I just stick to trying to find an emulator of the 'Golden Trilogy'?

lole

Honestly, you are better off making paper airplanes and dorky sound effects with your mouth than taking Assault Horizon as any kind of barometer of the rest of the franchise. I assume you would be getting it on PC, but in case you mean 360, AC6 is out for that as well and is far more indicative.

Also, I've sort of hit a snag with recording in Assault Horizon. Turns out the sound Fraps was recording was intended for my laptop speakers, which means there is NO bass. So I figure I have one of several options going forward.
-Keep the bassless recordings (up through the Dubai mission) and just record the rest with headphones or speakers plugged in
-Redo the lot, with headphones or speakers plugged in
-Redo the lot but on 360, where I don't have the IMAS skins but I do have all the Color 3 and some of the special skins unlocked as well as most of the rest of the DLC
-Some combination of the above
What do people prefer?

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 7, 2017

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'd say rerecord it since it's only a couple of hours of gaming that you need to redo at beast.

Also I did some minor testing (as in I played a mission) and the game was suddenly a lot more playable even if it was only like 25 fps at best.
Just wish I could so something about the controls being far to sensitive but at least it's manageable.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Huh. Maybe it being multiplayer made it worse somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

NobleSixFour posted:

Huh. Maybe it being multiplayer made it worse somehow?

That would be my best guess in this case.