Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lime Tonics posted:

Millennium Tower update,

"The 58-story tower's shine faded on May 10, 2016, when Agabian attended a homeowners association meeting and was informed that the building had sunk 16 inches into the earth and tilted over 15 inches at its tip and 2 inches at the base"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-01/who-will-pay-for-san-francisco-s-tilting-sinking-millennium-tower

LOL, I was feeling sorry for these poor millionaires until I got to this part,

quote:

That’s fine for residents who want to stay put—people are “absolutely passionate about it, the service there is extraordinary, and the HOA is extremely well-run,” Lynn said—but there are many others who are hoping to move yet are unwilling to sell at fire-sale prices. “I can’t tell you what percentage down the values are,” Lynn said, “because nothing is trading.”

Currently, just three apartments are on the market: apartment 4E, which has 1,136 square feet and is listed at $1.299 million, or $1,143 a square foot; it last sold in 2013 for $915,000. There’s also penthouse 1A, which is 2,706 square feet and is listed at $8.995 million, or $3,324 a square foot; it’s been on the market since July and last sold in 2014 for $3 million. The final apartment, 14C, is a one-bedroom, one-bathroom space with 833 square feet. It’s on the market for $1.08 million, or $1,296 per square foot, and was listed in December. It last sold for $790,000 in 2012.

So they don't just want to salvage their life savings, they actually want to sell a profit. As though there was nothing at all wrong with the building. The fix could be tens of millions of dollars upfront to stop the tilt, and the owners may or may not be able to recoup some of that cost from other parties. But sure, try to make a profit on your 'investment'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
For a lot of people housing is primarily an investment and they flip their poo poo if it doesn't earn them enough or that the reason you can sometimes make a killing in realestate is that it can also be very risky.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
One of my dad's friends owns and lives in a unit in that building and seems surprisingly chill about the whole thing.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

How do you decide where to put the crack gauge when you have that many cracks? What a nightmare.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Well that certainly puts the subsidence problem I had in perspective. That turned out to be building on sand (over clay) and the back of the building having literally no foundation. Two courses of bricks in the ground and that was it, thanks Victorian builders!

Fortunately the main building was stable so it was just the back half moving away and a company called Uretek basically pumped resin into the ground to bind and stabilise it and act like a slab. Apparently they can actually lift the building up by using different mixes of resin that expand slightly.

Ended up being 3 years of bullshit with the insurers to plan a single day's work.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Well that certainly puts the subsidence problem I had in perspective. That turned out to be building on sand (over clay) and the back of the building having literally no foundation. Two courses of bricks in the ground and that was it, thanks Victorian builders!

Fortunately the main building was stable so it was just the back half moving away and a company called Uretek basically pumped resin into the ground to bind and stabilise it and act like a slab. Apparently they can actually lift the building up by using different mixes of resin that expand slightly.

Ended up being 3 years of bullshit with the insurers to plan a single day's work.

I was going to have Uretek stabilize the foundation on my house (I have piers around the perimeter, but the middle was sinking, too. I had an interior wall about an inch off the floor.) but it turned out that my drain plumbing was cracked along the top - cast iron pipe - and while it didn't affect operation much, the urethane foam that they use would creep into the sewer pipe when it expanded. I couldn't afford new sewer pipe AND foundation jacking, so, whelp, neither happened. Floor came back up when the ground moistened up again, actually. Yay, Texas clay.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

LOL, I was feeling sorry for these poor millionaires until I got to this part,

So they don't just want to salvage their life savings, they actually want to sell a profit. As though there was nothing at all wrong with the building. The fix could be tens of millions of dollars upfront to stop the tilt, and the owners may or may not be able to recoup some of that cost from other parties. But sure, try to make a profit on your 'investment'.

That thing is lumbering large in the sky over my office. I really hope it doesn't fall on me while I'm in town.

So what happens when no insurers will touch it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

“We can’t sell, we can’t rent, we can’t move,” said Agabian, the retired scientist. “I’d sell it in a second if I got fair market value for it.” She corrected herself: “Well, there’s not a fair market for it, because now the fair market for it is zero.”

:allears:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

I love how rich fucks get so indignant about the free market the nanosecond it turns on them, with zero awareness that it is the free market they're bemoaning.

Honestly that project sums up everything bad about boomtime construction to cash in on a real estate bubble.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Darchangel posted:

I was going to have Uretek stabilize the foundation on my house (I have piers around the perimeter, but the middle was sinking, too. I had an interior wall about an inch off the floor.) but it turned out that my drain plumbing was cracked along the top - cast iron pipe - and while it didn't affect operation much, the urethane foam that they use would creep into the sewer pipe when it expanded. I couldn't afford new sewer pipe AND foundation jacking, so, whelp, neither happened. Floor came back up when the ground moistened up again, actually. Yay, Texas clay.

Yeah that is one possible problem, it can infiltrate pipes or floor cavities so they had to lift the entire floor on the ground floor to make sure it didn't seep in.

That wasn't my floor though so I gave zero fucks.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

"I only decorate with the finest dip!"

I wonder if that guy had a open top coffee table and just happened to notice that his pile of dip cans in the corner were the perfect size?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

kid sinister posted:

"I only decorate with the finest dip!"

I wonder if that guy had a open top coffee table and just happened to notice that his pile of dip cans in the corner were the perfect size?

Dipping is so disgusting. A guy I work with quit smoking and replaced it with dipping and it. is. so. gross.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

beep-beep car is go posted:

Dipping is so disgusting. A guy I work with quit smoking and replaced it with dipping and it. is. so. gross.

Guy I used to work with dipped at work. Would put the spit cup on the floor during meetings (out of respect, I GUESS).
Then he kicked it over.
In his bare feet.
Yes, this is still at work.
:barf:

Said person also would walk barefoot into the bathrooms.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

topenga posted:

Guy I used to work with dipped at work. Would put the spit cup on the floor during meetings (out of respect, I GUESS).
Then he kicked it over.
In his bare feet.

Does your workplace not have any sort of... rules? How is he still employed?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

topenga posted:

Then he kicked it over.
In his bare feet.

What? I don't understand any of this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I once worked at a barefoot-friendly office, but it had carpets, the barefoot people (approximately two of them) were very respectful of situations where shoes were appropriate and called-for, clean, and nobody left cups of tobacco spit around anywhere.

I mean yes LOL rich people but what she is actually saying is that it's impossible to estimate FMV when there are no comps.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

When I work in an office, I take off my shoes and work in my socks most days. I absolutely put shoes on for the bathroom though.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

I mean yes LOL rich people but what she is actually saying is that it's impossible to estimate FMV when there are no comps.

I'm not so sure that's what she's saying. She's saying she'd take fair market value, as in win or loss she just wants out, but the fair market value is $0 because no one wants to buy in a collapsing dumpster fire.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

She can't comprehend FMV being $0, and is experiencing cognitive dissonance.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I'm sure there's takers for even deathtrap-in-progress housing in the Frisco bay area. Turn some of those big apartments into sleeping cubes for techies, get 'em out of their cars and poo poo. I'm sure there's some slumlord that would be willing to offer a hundred bucks per unit, offer sleep-in closets at a bargain $800/month.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Does your workplace not have any sort of... rules? How is he still employed?

This was in the long ago times of the early 2000's. Everything goes in tech and startups in Austin.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My workplace made smoking anywhere on the property a first offense termination years ago and still can't figure out why all the scrap hoppers are full of dip all the time. A bold few even let fly into the coolant return when they have to change cutting tools. :heritage:

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 4, 2017

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Baba Yaga is real trustworthy with her contractor's plans.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Don't tree houses like that typically require much more substantial trees to support that much weight?

Also, I hope they lagged right into the heartwood so that poo poo fails catastrophically after a couple years when those trunks rot out from under the platform. I'm not normally a fan of killing otherwise healthy trees, but for comedy purposes I'll make an allowance.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That picture started out awesome, but then I kept scrolling...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I hope it holds and ends up loving their house which they attached the tree fort to for no reason.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Baronjutter posted:

I hope it holds and ends up loving their house which they attached the tree fort to for no reason.

I really don't want to see that thing in a storm. That main tree is really thin, and they've attached a thing with a massive sail area to it. Good luck.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If it wasn't attached to the house, I'd say "cool".
But since it is, I am simply requesting pictures after a few years of growth and/or a fairly decent wind storm.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

couldcareless posted:

If it wasn't attached to the house, I'd say "cool".
But since it is, I am simply requesting pictures after a few years of growth and/or a fairly decent wind storm.

After looking at it a bit, the best way I can describe how silly it is, "Imagine a tom and jerry cartoon, tom is going to get smacked in the face by a frying pan. The tree fort is the frying pan and the house is tom. A storm is happening, so this will occur repeatedly".

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
I get that it's still under construction, but judging from the peaked roof on it, it looks like it's going to be a....arboreal gazebo, instead of a tree house.

Also, i'm the stone/rock trying to stop the support in back from sinking into the dirt.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hexyflexy posted:

After looking at it a bit, the best way I can describe how silly it is, "Imagine a tom and jerry cartoon, tom is going to get smacked in the face by a frying pan. The tree fort is the frying pan and the house is tom. A storm is happening, so this will occur repeatedly".

Jerry is rolling out the props now....and yes! It's the anvil chorus! We're in for a real treat here folks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You guys obviously don't watch Tree House Masters.

I mean I don't know if that tree house is secure, but actually properly built tree houses that last for decades often look exactly that precarious. They've used two trees and anchored to the house, and if they've allowed room for the trees to grow and expand a bit they're fine.

The most concerning bit is the angled bracing down to the tree trunks. I've never seen bracing like that when done by professionals. They need to be using TABs. https://store.beinatree.com/products/tab-treehouse-attachment-bolt

And yes it's completely fine to run TABs right into the heartwood, in fact that's what you need do. The live part of the tree on the outside should quickly heal around the entry points and you use solid steel and protect it from weathering.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Leperflesh posted:

You guys obviously don't watch Tree House Masters.

His work seems to be a bit more substantial though. It might be the angle, but that looks like one of those great ideas, flawed execution. Why is the bottom story smaller then the top? It's scary.

This, for example, would be sketchy as hell if someone inexperienced tried to do it. Nelson's got a flare for the sturdy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That kitchen family decided to do up their car.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The house itself is pretty cool, but the way it's supported looks sketchy as hell.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Saw this in the new Resident Evil game :ghost:

Also the crawlspace is full of dead bodies, will it pass inspection?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

$250 for a threaded rod and steel bush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sinky posted:

Saw this in the new Resident Evil game :ghost:

Also the crawlspace is full of dead bodies, will it pass inspection?

Grover is making video games now?