Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kirios posted:

Again, people defending the Wiimote in 2017 baffles me. Guess you won't be buying the Switch since it doesn't have motion control. Oh well, you're missing out!

buddy the switch most certainly has motion control and you're an old baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kirios posted:

Again, people defending the Wiimote in 2017 baffles me. Guess you won't be buying the Switch since it doesn't have motion control. Oh well, you're missing out!

The joy cons are motion sensitive though :confused:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kirios posted:

It does tho

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Takoluka posted:

If you like Zelda 2 and want more from it, I suggest grabbing the Zelda 2 Randomizer. It makes the game ridiculous and a fun puzzle.

Definitely giving this a try tonight. I've been on a Z1 randomizer kick lately.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Waggle is all well and good but it shouldn't be the primary way that you interact with the world imo

You sound like those crazy people who flipped their poo poo when control sticks were required over D-Pads.

Control schemes should always be experimented with. There is always cool new poo poo to figure out and fossilizing around something because it was the best we could do twenty yeara ago is myopic. Sometimes it won't work and sometimes it will.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Zore posted:

You sound like those crazy people who flipped their poo poo when control sticks were required over D-Pads.

Control schemes should always be experimented with. There is always cool new poo poo to figure out and fossilizing around something because it was the best we could do twenty yeara ago is myopic. Sometimes it won't work and sometimes it will.

Thanks for comparing me to someone losing their poo poo when all I did was express an opinion. And yeah, experimenting with controls is good, like how nintendo has been experimenting with waggle controls for 11 years now, and the result of that was skyward sword which I personally did not enjoy. I'm preordering the Switch cause I'm excited by what I've seen, motion controls included. But the biggest issue I have is when the motion controls are used for precise actions but it's never quite as precise as I'd like. I'm totally okay with using the wiimote as like a pointer such as in prime 3 and using it for imprecise stuff, like when it's just vigorous shaking like in no more heroes.

Maybe there were examples of better motion controls on the Wii U, but I skipped that console so I wouldn't know.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

people 11 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c7V2MJZ3Qs

people today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWd8fUC71g

Spellman fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 3, 2017

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Those joycons are staying locked on either the switch or on a grip to be a proper controller as intended.

Like...mobile gaming blows chunks because of the control scheme. The Wii turned into a joke outside of outstanding first party titles because of motion controls.

Waggling is dumb. It's terrible and is only tolerable in small doses, not as your primary scheme for controlling a game (It's fine in Super Mario Galaxy, for example).

This is a...well documented and agreed upon idea. Other than VR, waggling is not something that vast majority of people want to do. If you want to take SomethingAwful as your soapbox to argue that people love to waggle and you think it's fantastic, whatever, but it's something 95% of gamers have moved on from.

Edit: Soapbox, not sandbox. Had Breath of the Wild on the mind (aka gonna be the best Zelda since Wind Waker, Skyward Sword apologists)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Imprecise waggling isn't great which is why they improved the sensors so it works for more precise movements. For example, ARMS is going to be the most popular game at EVO this year.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Excellent motion controls with VR is fantastic and is even the reason why I put a disclaimer there. I 100% believe in the tech there.

As a replacement for sticks in 2d gaming? gently caress off with that nonsense. I'll respect the opinion of saying they like it for aiming, like in Splatoon or Metroid Prime (I personally disagree, but I can understand that), but Skyward Sword's #1 complaint upon release was its control scheme.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm glad that Imagine Dragons is still around to make sure we have lots of trailer music.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
loving WIIMOTES

*buys tablet with two tiny versions of them attached to it*

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah, for all of those motion control games we'll be playing, or perhaps it's to join to the tablet to be used as a, oh I don't know, standard controller?

History has born out my opinions to be true on this one.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I'm glad that Imagine Dragons is still around to make sure we have lots of trailer music.

God drat it, getting the right links is frustrating on your phone

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Why does the switch have a touchscreen

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

koolkal posted:

For Jackbox Party Pack 3.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

koolkal posted:

So you can have games that use a touch screen.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
But does that mean there will be undocked-only games?

Will there be docked-only games? Is there any standard for what is and isn't allowed?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

koolkal posted:

Will there be docked-only games? Is there any standard for what is and isn't allowed?

No. At this point, the touch screen would just be an alternate input method. It's by no means mandatory.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

Ă°Â’ÂƒÂ» Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ“Ă°Â’Â‰ð’‹« 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ‰ Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ« Ă°Â’ÂÂ®Ă°Â’ÂˆÂ Ă°Â’ÂˆÂ¾Ă°Â’Â…Â— 𒂉 Ă°Â’Â‰Â¡Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ’Ă°Â’Â‚Â‰Ă°Â’Â‘

"People today" is more like back to using a regular controller on hardware that's way better than the Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqG6Or3bSYo

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I thought you used the JOIcons for the jacking

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

koolkal posted:

Presumably those little indicators show how many people in each setup you can have, so I would imagine theoretically there are games you could only play in certain ways, but I imagine that'd be up to the specific developers.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Lemming posted:

Presumably those little indicators show how many people in each setup you can have, so I would imagine theoretically there are games you could only play in certain ways, but I imagine that'd be up to the specific developers.

What's the source of that picture? Can you really buy Switch games somewhere?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lemming posted:

I'm really REALLY curious about the gun and the sexual content warning icons showing up for a Zelda game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm still trying to figure out what the one with the box cutter means

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Melee violence, ranged violence and gender politics.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

koolkal posted:

A guy from Activision demoed Skylanders for Angry Joe and in the video you can see him navigate the menus with the touch screen and no joycons attached so it's deffo possible.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

I just googled "zelda breath of the wild japanese box" I saw it earlier in the thread, dunno what the source is

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The right Joycon has a Wiimote-type IR Pointer to support at least some of the touchscreen functionality.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

"People today" is more like back to using a regular controller on hardware that's way better than the Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqG6Or3bSYo

posting a nioh gameplay video wouldve saved some time there buddy

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SilverSupernova posted:

I'm really REALLY curious about the gun and the sexual content warning icons showing up for a Zelda game.

It's actually Grand Theft Triforce

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

The right Joycon has a Wiimote-type IR Pointer to support at least some of the touchscreen functionality.

Actually, that sensor is strictly limited to lewd mouth gestures

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

They're "preorder" boxes at a Japanese retailer. The inside gives more details about the game.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

The gun represents violence, because it's a game where you attack monsters and maybe sometimes people with medieval weapons. The sexual content warning probably means there's a horny character design somewhere (it's only E10+ in North America so probably not that horny).

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
I have to agree with all the Wii-mote detractors - it was a fun gimmick initially, but it got shoehorned into games far too much. I bought the Metroid Prime trilogy for the Wiiu (well, for the Wii but to use on the Wiiu, if you see what I mean) and I'd quite forgotten how much hassle the waggle sticks are to use. It now gathers dust alongside Skyward Sword, just hoping that they'll be re-jigged for VC release on the Switch.

...It's not going to happen, is it? :(

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Instead of having a VC release, there will definitely be a full-on Skyward Sword HD and it will use joycon motion-controls.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also jesus non-motion Skyward Sword would control like rear end.

I do not understand people's fixation with weird and complicated button+stick schemes there.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Wiimotes are good but also the wiimote plus is like eight years old, surely judging all waggle controls by that standard is a bit silly.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zore posted:

Also jesus non-motion Skyward Sword would control like rear end.

I do not understand people's fixation with weird and complicated button+stick schemes there.

'hardcore' gamers are hilariously conservative and unimaginative as a rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Zelda II isn't actually that hard, the only big difficulty spikes are Death Mountain and the Hidden Palace.

• Locked thread