Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

It's not stupid, it's great. It makes all the stupid philosophical debates the X-people constantly have null and void. They're a failed science experiment made by aliens.

oh I don't mean stupid as a quality statement I just mean stupid as in it's real stupid we have these kinda huge technically still canon dangling threads just blowing in the wind and nothing ever happens with them. I 100% want someone like Apocalypse to smack down Scott next time he's all "EVOLUTION" with a good 'shut up we're an alien beta test that they forgot to delete fully'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

oh I don't mean stupid as a quality statement I just mean stupid as in it's real stupid we have these kinda huge technically still canon dangling threads just blowing in the wind and nothing ever happens with them. I 100% want someone like Apocalypse to smack down Scott next time he's all "EVOLUTION" with a good 'shut up we're an alien beta test that they forgot to delete fully'.

Yeah, there are an awful lot of those half-formed ideas hanging out, especially in the X-men universe. Remember changelings?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The creation of Mutants goes back to when the Celestials created Eternals and Deviants. That is all still canon as far as I know. As it should be.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Apropos of nothing, has Apocalypse ever fought thanos?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I kinda like it because it makes pretty much everything about mutants being superior or inferior to humans pointless, just like actual bullshit pseudo-scientific explanations for why racism is ok.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Apropos of nothing, has Apocalypse ever fought thanos?

I think they were both in MvC2, so yes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

It's not stupid, it's great. It makes all the stupid philosophical debates the X-people constantly have null and void. They're a failed science experiment made by aliens.

Only if you really want it to be.

Though if you have that weird a grudge against fictional characters you don't really need canon reasons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Only if you really want it to be.

Though if you have that weird a grudge against fictional characters you don't really need canon reasons.

I think you misunderstand, I don't have a grudge against Magneto or Cyclops or anyone else who brings up those arguments about evolution, I just enjoy that they're completely wrong about the thing they're arguing about because of aliens.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They aren't wrong no dumb story from the 70s is gonna change that no matter how pedantic you want to be,

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, there are an awful lot of those half-formed ideas hanging out, especially in the X-men universe. Remember changelings?

oh my god I forgot changelings. How do we have loving IvX when we could be talking about changelings???

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lurdiak posted:

I think they were both in MvC2, so yes.

Apocalypse was about the only character in the series to that point who wasn't in MvC2.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea it's one of those stupid things that is still somehow technically canon because it's never been contradicted but I can't remember the last time it's actually come up

I want to say Adam Warren brought it up in that Galacta: Daughter of Galactus one-shot he did several years ago.

There's a lot of Whitley Streiber "aliens came here and messed with us" lying around in the 616 if you go far enough back, though. The Eternals, the Deviants, the Young Gods, the Inhumans, the Celestials, the Kree...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Apocalypse was about the only character in the series to that point who wasn't in MvC2.

drat, I must be getting confused by Mugen again. The price of Saltybet.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

oh my god I forgot changelings. How do we have loving IvX when we could be talking about changelings???

IvXvC, coming in 2018.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

When will Marvel revamp Eternals and then pit them against the X-Men?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

When will Marvel revamp Eternals and then pit them against the X-Men?

They already sort of did but it was bad and forgettable.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

That is really not a stretching of the word I can approve of. That'd be like saying giving everyone on earth mutant powers would be a genocide of the human race.

I would agree if every X-writer since House of M didn't have the X-Men treat the prospect of having mutants die out as some awful nightmare. It's the same tortured race metaphor as always and just like it has never worked with X-Men, it doesn't work with Inhumans. So I guess what I'm saying is, you're not wrong, but good luck getting Marvel to realize it.

e: Oh and I'll nth the love for Wasp.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

bobkatt013 posted:

In a way it would be genocide if they destroyed the cloud as it would mean no more inhumams. It would end their race.
If that were actually true, then hundreds and hundreds of new Inhumans -- like Kamala, Lunella, Ulysses, etc etc -- shouldn't have been triggered by the Terrigen cloud, as their families have gone countless generations without exposure to Terrigen. And this wasn't just a couple dozen rarities around the planet; many dormant Inhumans being activated by the cloud as it passes over a population is the norm, not the exception. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are now practically more activated Inhumans outside Attilan than there were inside, and the ones inside were the ones with ready access to the crystals! And all those Nuhumans are just the ones we know of, not the ones who the cloud hasn't reached yet, or the ones who have avoided it out of fear.

The Inhumans gene is resilient enough to last at least hundreds of years, that we know of, without the mist, and then after which I guess they might just be normal people living their lives...which they were in the first place anyway. Mutants, on the other hand, have two weeks before they die in pain and sickness.

The math is pretty clear, here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The mutants are born as mutants, whereas the Inhumans are born as humans and only become Inhumans when they're exposed to the Terrigen mists, but they have a unique gene that allows them to be affected by the mists, aren't they?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Remember that a whole bunch of mutants were actually evolved from wolves? :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

The creation of Mutants goes back to when the Celestials created Eternals and Deviants. That is all still canon as far as I know. As it should be.

I thought this was some Earth X garbage and not mainline canon.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Because Death Of X killed the only one still around who also was butchered for no good reason after actually getting a happy ending. gently caress I hated Death Of X.

So far the best thing about IvX is that Bagley keeps drawing Strong Guy so it looks like Guido got his soul back and maybe someone will do something with him again!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

The mutants are born as mutants, whereas the Inhumans are born as humans and only become Inhumans when they're exposed to the Terrigen mists, but they have a unique gene that allows them to be affected by the mists, aren't they?

Yes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

rantmo posted:

Because Death Of X killed the only one still around who also was butchered for no good reason after actually getting a happy ending. gently caress I hated Death Of X.

So far the best thing about IvX is that Bagley keeps drawing Strong Guy so it looks like Guido got his soul back and maybe someone will do something with him again!

I think Guido got his soul back in Thunderbolts. Mephisto got him to give the throne of hell back in exchange for his soul and some other poo poo that I forget because that Thunderbolts run was really bad.

I might be getting this confused with a New Mutants storyline where they also went to hell around the same time, but I think it was T-bolts.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think basically it's as much of a difference as say Johnny Storm and Peter Parker. Both got their powers due to exposure to something, just the details are different. In the case of Mutants compared to Inhumans both have origins in the persons genetic makeup but Mutants get their powers during puberty whereas Inhumans can get theirs as soon as they are born if they are exposed to Terrigen, which apparently was standard practice at one time as Black Bolt demolished half a city as an infant due to his Inhuman ability.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I think Guido got his soul back in Thunderbolts. Mephisto got him to give the throne of hell back in exchange for his soul and some other poo poo that I forget because that Thunderbolts run was really bad.

I might be getting this confused with a New Mutants storyline where they also went to hell around the same time, but I think it was T-bolts.

If Thunderbolts got Strong Guy his soul back, then that run would be worth it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

IUG posted:

If Thunderbolts got Strong Guy his soul back, then that run would be worth it.

I really wanted more stories with Strong Guy as the king of hell, personally.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah it happened in the good Thunderbolts run that no one read because it was following the Only Bad Thunderbolts Run. I can't blame anyone for that either because drat was that a bad run.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I really wanted more stories with Strong Guy as the king of hell, personally.

If only because Strong Guy wouldn't have done a dick thing like erase Spider-Man's marriage.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I really wanted Hellcat to help him get his soul back and then have him join the cast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

If only because Strong Guy wouldn't have done a dick thing like erase Spider-Man's marriage.

He got the job after Mephisto did that, I'm pretty sure. Although it would've been pretty hilarious to have an angry Strong Guy pop into existence in the middle of a Spider-man storyline and restore his marriage.

"What am I even gonna do with a marriage? The old boss was an idiot."

Apparently Strong Guy was a "tough but fair" hell ruler and actually gave damned souls a shot at atoning for their sins and moving on, which is what hell is apparently supposed to do, which just makes it even more frustrating we didn't get to see him in the role longer. Having the devil be kind of a decent guy deep down is a really interesting cosmological situation that you could explore in lots of ways, especially if he's got the old devil constantly scheming to get the job back.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

He got the job after Mephisto did that, I'm pretty sure. Although it would've been pretty hilarious to have an angry Strong Guy pop into existence in the middle of a Spider-man storyline and restore his marriage.

"What am I even gonna do with a marriage? The old boss was an idiot."

Marvel's new, big summer crossover event: Strong Guy Makes Amends. Or "Let's Make a Deal" since he's bound by his predecessor's rules to offer up Faustian bargains instead of just granting outright wishes like a genie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Can I just say that it's really hard not to type Strong Guy's name as Strong Bad.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah it happened in the good Thunderbolts run that no one read because it was following the Only Bad Thunderbolts Run. I can't blame anyone for that either because drat was that a bad run.

I tried reading some Thunderbolts a while back and wasn't impressed; maybe that was during the bad run? If I want to get into them, where should I point my MU subscription?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I tried reading some Thunderbolts a while back and wasn't impressed; maybe that was during the bad run? If I want to get into them, where should I point my MU subscription?

The original Busiek/Bagley run is pretty solid cape comics from a period in time where Busiek was writing the only really good books at Marvel. When Busiek leaves, Fabian Nicieza takes over, which takes a while to hit its stride but eventually does some really interesting things in the obscure corners of the Marvel Universe.

For the recent volume, the "red" Thunderbolts, you want the Charles Soule issues. The "bad run" they're talking about was written by Daniel Way.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Basically everything Thunderbolts not written by Daniel Way or the current run( which I haven't been able to actually read yet) are at minimum solid cape comics and a good read. Even the weird tangent underground fighting arc is worth people's time in my opinion.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I wasn't impressed with the current run, mostly because I found the art mega off-putting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The art looked like rejected Liefeld art from the 90s. Like wtf? Also Fixer changing races was weird.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The only good character in the current tbolts is kobik and she hardly gets to do anything

The storyline isnt all that hot and as mentioned neither is the art, overall its a pretty mediocre book

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

The art looked like rejected Liefeld art from the 90s. Like wtf? Also Fixer changing races was weird.

Did they make him black or something?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As far as I know Fixer still is and always has been a white guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Wanderer posted:

The original Busiek/Bagley run is pretty solid cape comics from a period in time where Busiek was writing the only really good books at Marvel. When Busiek leaves, Fabian Nicieza takes over, which takes a while to hit its stride but eventually does some really interesting things in the obscure corners of the Marvel Universe.

For the recent volume, the "red" Thunderbolts, you want the Charles Soule issues. The "bad run" they're talking about was written by Daniel Way.

Cool, thanks. I'll give that a try.

• Locked thread