Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've only had Hershey's chocolate very occasionally (:australia:) so I'm not sure if it's everyone's opinion, but it actually does taste like puke, right? Those little chocolate drops in the silver wrapper seriously taste awful, like they used bad milk or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

I've only had Hershey's chocolate very occasionally (:australia:) so I'm not sure if it's everyone's opinion, but it actually does taste like puke, right? Those little chocolate drops in the silver wrapper seriously taste awful, like they used bad milk or something.

The secret ingredient is butyric acid.

Yes, it’s a component of vomitus. So is water, though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
http://i.imgur.com/A03m5mf.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Memento posted:

I think that's generally the story. They couldn't keep the milk fresh in their huge industrial plants churning out garbage chocolate and people somehow acquired a taste to it so they added barf acid to the chocolate because americans got used to it. It's like those gross scandinavians who accidentally ate a bunch of rotting fish and decided that was now an ok thing to eat and should do it again. A lot of americans for some reason need their chocolate to have a slight vomit/rancid milk taste to it. Don't judge their culture.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I think that's generally the story. They couldn't keep the milk fresh in their huge industrial plants churning out garbage chocolate and people somehow acquired a taste to it so they added barf acid to the chocolate because americans got used to it. It's like those gross scandinavians who accidentally ate a bunch of rotting fish and decided that was now an ok thing to eat and should do it again. A lot of americans for some reason need their chocolate to have a slight vomit/rancid milk taste to it. Don't judge their culture.

Not really. The Hershey Process is a trade secret but it likely involves partially lipolyzing the milk, producing butyric acid naturally. This gives it a tangier taste than regular chocolate but stabilizes the milk to prevent it from fermenting and lets it stay fresh longer.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Hershey's. :colbert:

Fight me irl.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

I think that's generally the story. They couldn't keep the milk fresh in their huge industrial plants churning out garbage chocolate and people somehow acquired a taste to it so they added barf acid to the chocolate because americans got used to it. It's like those gross scandinavians who accidentally ate a bunch of rotting fishsalted licorice and decided that was now an ok thing to eat and should do it again.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Australia would like a word.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

TheStampede posted:

For some reason I doubt your standards for, "edible".

I doubt what he was eating was "chocolate", personally

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Data Graham posted:

High-cacao chocolate is an acquired taste in the sense that once you start getting into it, it's hard to stop. I've got a shelf full of single-origins at home that I slowly work my way through over the course of months or years. The differences in flavor profile between them are some wild poo poo, like tasting wine or scotch but without the cost and with a much easier learning curve. I can't even stomach milk chocolate anymore, really.

Here's a ten-page article that I like to reread every year or two, it's the story of Noka Chocolate—a reputedly super-high-end chocolatier that ended up being exposed (largely through this story) as a couple of scheming fraudsters. It's a fantastic read and actually on topic for this thread, so enjoy.

http://dallasfood.org/2006/12/noka-chocolate-part-1/
That was a good read. Now if "serious" journalists (not someone from the food section) would put this much research and effort into reporting a story we might not be in the loving mess we are now. I guess that's schaden on us.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Not really. The Hershey Process is a trade secret but it likely involves partially lipolyzing the milk, producing butyric acid naturally. This gives it the flavor of bile but stabilizes the milk to prevent it from fermenting and lets it stay fresh longer.
FTFY

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Data Graham posted:

High-cacao chocolate is an acquired taste in the sense that once you start getting into it, it's hard to stop. I've got a shelf full of single-origins at home that I slowly work my way through over the course of months or years. The differences in flavor profile between them are some wild poo poo, like tasting wine or scotch but without the cost and with a much easier learning curve. I can't even stomach milk chocolate anymore, really.

Here's a ten-page article that I like to reread every year or two, it's the story of Noka Chocolate—a reputedly super-high-end chocolatier that ended up being exposed (largely through this story) as a couple of scheming fraudsters. It's a fantastic read and actually on topic for this thread, so enjoy.

http://dallasfood.org/2006/12/noka-chocolate-part-1/

This is really good.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chitoryu12 posted:

Not really. The Hershey Process is a trade secret but it likely involves partially lipolyzing the milk, producing butyric acid naturally. This gives it a tangier taste than regular chocolate but stabilizes the milk to prevent it from fermenting and lets it stay fresh longer.

You have an interesting definition of the word "fresh".

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

SubponticatePoster posted:

That was a good read. Now if "serious" journalists (not someone from the food section) would put this much research and effort into reporting a story we might not be in the loving mess we are now. I guess that's schaden on us.
They do, check out Longform.org. People don't choose to have fundamentally different worldviews because they're misinformed, it's the other way around.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

quote:

hue hue hue hue hurr hue hurr hueooof

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Alereon posted:

They do, check out Longform.org. People don't choose to have fundamentally different worldviews because they're misinformed, it's the other way around.

It doesn't help that our society has decided that news and in-depth reporting are not at all worth paying for.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB9E7EffYsI&index=11&list=WL

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I regular eat 90%+ dark chocolate and drink coffee black.

Muy delicioso.

Edit: I'm probably easy to poison.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Oh Josh, you card

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Just wanted to point out that he shoots a shard right into the leg of background blondie.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

food court bailiff posted:

Are you sure it wasn't just the Sprite mixture being off? Because I'm having trouble imagining how this could ever happen. But yeah, fountain drinks in restaurants are mixed from a big thing of carbonated water and giant bags full of weird syrup poo poo, and if the syrup poo poo runs out and nobody notices or the line gets clogged or something you just end up with vaguely sour carbonated water. For colas and stuff it's easy to tell, the color comes out way lighter (eventually clear) but with white soda the only way to tell is for someone to complain.

I'm pretty sure it was legit tonic water. They had a bar handling all their drinks, so the bartender probably hit the wrong button on their soda gun.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I threw a racquetball really hard against a wall and it hit me in the balls and I knocked water onto myself trying not to fall over and then the cup hit me in the head unexpectedly and I fell over and made a small tear in my shoe, then when I went to change an old man had his leg hiked up on a bench while naked right in front of my locker

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Count yourself lucky, man. Not every lovely situation has a happy ending.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

freeedr posted:

I threw a racquetball really hard against a wall and it hit me in the balls and I knocked water onto myself trying not to fall over and then the cup hit me in the head unexpectedly and I fell over and made a small tear in my shoe, and my beef jerky fell out, then when I went to change an old man had his leg hiked up on a bench while naked right in front of my locker

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jamfrost posted:

Edit: I'm probably easy to poison.

Perhaps in eras past, but these days there are plenty of tasteless poisons out there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u_pKh8JQ2Q

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
http://i.imgur.com/5kwREMk.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/jbb8HXp.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/VGDApmY.gifv

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I was going to report this post for breaking tables but they hosed up and missed. :smith:

The video apparently comes via a Facebook group called The Table Breakers Club. They're pretty much just doing the pro-wrestling spot of jumping off a thing and landing on a guy lying on a table but they can't be bothered sourcing regular wooden trestle tables so they just use whatever's available, with mixed results. THey're also completely untrained (obviously!) so they miss about as often as they hit, they're actually a step down from backyard wrestlers even though I wouldn't have thought that was possible. This article has a few of their fuckup highlights.

Edit: someone uploaded some compilation videos to youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5MnlwEex-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtR_XlxIKWA

Edit 2: oh hey the video of the guy smashing into the table at the party turns up in the second compilation video

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 08:25 on Feb 3, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So many morons from supposedly advanced western nations. I'm sure there's a way to use the number of uploaded videos with the number of phones per capita to arrive at ranking of countries by number of KO's, Stupid accidents and burn injuries caused by rampant stupidity.

Or even within the united states. I'd like to know which state is responsible for driving up insurance costs.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You gotta wonder what kind of idiots China is hiding behind their media blackout and their 3x bigger population.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Well _you're_ the racist for even bringing it up!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

So many morons from supposedly advanced western nations. I'm sure there's a way to use the number of uploaded videos with the number of phones per capita to arrive at ranking of countries by number of KO's, Stupid accidents and burn injuries caused by rampant stupidity.

Or even within the united states. I'd like to know which state is responsible for driving up insurance costs.

Pick one. I'm sure that no matter what, you'll be correct in some sense.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Is there a chrome extension that makes these gifv files not GIGANTIC? They play fine, but each one is about 1.5 screens big.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That seems to happen some times I'm not sure why.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I'm the guy in the purplish shirt, freaking out over the level of stupidity.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

I want to know how he thought this would end

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Obligatory: https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/cliEGaF.gif&v=MK6TXMsvgQg&s=37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
http://i.imgur.com/3lCgmqm.mp4