Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Looking to get my first TV since...more than 10 years ago. Budget is around 1000 but I can spend more if there's a really good reason to. I'm in a small apartment but that could change so bigger is better I guess. Is https://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag)-4K-SUHD-LED-LCD-TV-UN55KS800DFXZA.product.100290949.html really $300 better than https://www.costco.com/Samsung-60%22-Class-(60.1%22-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-LCD-TV-UN60KU630DFXZA.product.100295059.html despite being 5" smaller? Also, can anyone who has one tell me how deep the legs are? My TV stand isn't super deep and I'm worried that leg styling might not fit anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Trillest Parrot posted:

I don't know if you got the answer you were looking for but if this is your first 4K show and you're running the amazon app from something hooked up via HDMI, make sure UHD is turned on for that HDMI port in the expert settings.

I didn't realize that Amazon listed the show separately for 4k.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Wake-on-Lan is essential for me but I've heard that only Sony Smart TVs have that functionality.

Is that true? Seems odd that, e.g., Samsung wouldn't offer it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Adding to my post up there ^ - I see lots of people in the last 10 pages talking about Super Bowl sales coming up but I don't see any good sales advertised. Looking to pick up a 65" KS8000 but it's still $1,500 everywhere as usual. Anyone know of good sales going on this weekend?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

dantheman650 posted:

Adding to my post up there ^ - I see lots of people in the last 10 pages talking about Super Bowl sales coming up but I don't see any good sales advertised. Looking to pick up a 65" KS8000 but it's still $1,500 everywhere as usual. Anyone know of good sales going on this weekend?

$1500 is the sale price. It's like $1800 as usual.

Here's a 55" LG OLED for $1500 http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Electronics-OLED55B6P-Flat-55-Inch-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-OLED-TV-/182179278948?hash=item2a6abb3064:g:RzsAAOSwj85YN9Kw

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Sales typically run sunday through Saturday if you are talking retail. Online sales can be anytime and usually arn't known in advance.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

It's been years since I worked retail, but I remember people used to buy a big tv for the Super Bowl, then return it after the game. It might be worth checking your local stores next week for marked down returned TVs.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bob Socko posted:

It's been years since I worked retail, but I remember people used to buy a big tv for the Super Bowl, then return it after the game. It might be worth checking your local stores next week for marked down returned TVs.

Costco put the kibosh on that a while back, or so I thought.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

There were people a few pages back talking about getting the K8000 for like 1100 or something.

Also that LG price seems too good to be true. Anyone bought a TV from eBay before? Worth losing 10" for OLED at the same price?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

100% positive feedback on 6000+ transactions could be a safe bet.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Costco put the kibosh on that a while back, or so I thought.

Costco put the kibosh on returning a TV literally years later but they will still allow a return of one you've had less than 90 days.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

dantheman650 posted:

There were people a few pages back talking about getting the K8000 for like 1100 or something.

Also that LG price seems too good to be true. Anyone bought a TV from eBay before? Worth losing 10" for OLED at the same price?

That $1100 sounds like Samsung employee price. I think people on Slickdeals were abusing that.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

dantheman650 posted:

I just got an E6 from this seller for the cost of a B6/C6 and it's working great. Shipping was kind of weird though. I bought a TV + mount bundle and they shipped the TV from LA and the mount from Hollywood, FL and gave me tracking numbers for both. The TV got to the company to do the final delivery about a day before the company called me up, so the tracking wasn't super helpful.

The only thing I'll mention is that I didn't see anything about the TV being curbside delivery only, which was a bit of a bad surprise for me.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
What's the comparison between the Samsung SUHD and LG OLED TVs right now? I'm looking at getting a 55" LG B6, but I want to know if Samsung is a better deal.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What's a better deal to you?

The oled is the best picture, hands down. I wouldn't even consider anything else, personally

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

FogHelmut posted:

That $1100 sounds like Samsung employee price. I think people on Slickdeals were abusing that.

Also Samsung is apparently loving terrible to deal with directly, like the tv takes forever to arrive and is frequently damaged and for EPP purchases they only do refunds and not exchanges etc

Boz0r posted:

What's the comparison between the Samsung SUHD and LG OLED TVs right now? I'm looking at getting a 55" LG B6, but I want to know if Samsung is a better deal.

If you can afford it you probably want to get the OLED (I say this as a samsung owner). If you can't afford it though the Samsung is still a good set.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 3, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is it still worth getting an OLED if my receiver, roku, blu ray player, etc are not 4K? Looks that much more amazing in just 1080p?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yes, one of the big picture quality jumps is infinite contrast which any source can benefit from. Only thing to be aware of is that it can get tricky getting the brightness/contrast balanced to the point where you get maximum shadow detail but don't expose too much noise that would be buried under the black floor of an non OLED tv.

In other news, Sony has announced that their whole 2017 lineup, even the 1080p sets, will support HDR.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-all-new-televisions-for-2017-will-support-hdr

Now, not all TVs will have HDCP 2.2 HDMI inputs so you won't be able to use a UHD blu-ray player or external streamer with them. However, the internal Netflix and Amazon apps will support it and it will also support HDR from PS4 games.

That's a really good move. HDR and WCG is important beyond resolution and there are a lot of applications where the addition of 4k is just unnecessary. I would have liked to see HDCP 2.2 so you could use external sources beyond game consoles, but I can bet most Full HD TVs are going to be in situations where not a whole lot is hooked up to them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

GreenNight posted:

Is it still worth getting an OLED if my receiver, roku, blu ray player, etc are not 4K? Looks that much more amazing in just 1080p?

You'll get 4K sources later and the TV has some streaming 4K built in, but yes also everything bull said.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks. I'm getting almost 3 grand back on taxes so I'm considering.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My Samsung has issues with losing details in the blackness, but it's only on certain shows, and it's better than any TV I've ever owned. I don't regret not spending more on a smaller OLED.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
What's the word on connecting an HDR TV to a PC? Is there any support at all?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Depends on what you are looking to do.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I'd like to view photos I take with more range. I know I won't be able to process them properly like that because no one else will see them the same. I'd also use whatever streaming services support HDR if they have a PC app that also supports it etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Unless you have a Kaby Lake CPU, you are never going to get any 4k streaming services on PC. It's a requirement for DRM. It's not really worth the hassle anyways since there's eleventy billion ways to stream those sources for under $100.

For viewing photos, you won't need any special hardware. Though, keep in mind, the best of the best UHD sets out there have similar color range to RGB which many high quality monitors have been able to hit for awhile. So, there may not be much difference.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Oh that's lame. Thanks for the answers. I already have a good monitor for color work. The contrast ratios must be better on an HDR TV though, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Depending on the TV, yes. Though, also keep in mind that the TV will only go into HDR mode if it detects the relevant metadata. So, unless there's an image viewer out there for PC that sends out HDR10 metadata, you get the standard 0-100nits brightness range.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Apparently it can be done. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/mt742103(v=vs.85).aspx

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Is this reasonably fixable? It generally stops once the TV has been on a while.

https://youtu.be/XvMCTH_dUDA

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone try to register the free HBO NOW promo with their KS8000? I tried to register on the website, it told me "Serial number invalid." So I called Samsung. They told me I bought the TV at Costco so its Costco's problem. I called Costco Concierge Service, and they got me on the line with Samsung again. This time, Samsung said they will have to manually register me. They're going to email me, and I'll have to submit a photo of my receipt and a photo of the serial number on the TV.

So an hour on various holds for this poo poo.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
So I have a budget of about $200 to grab a new HDTV for my office in our new apartment. It's really only going to be used for PS4/Streaming Netflix or whatever, and I was thinking about one of these two:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/westinghouse-40-class-40-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-black/5628900.p?skuId=5628900

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-40-class-40-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-black/4863600.p?skuId=4863600

I honestly don't know much about Insignia (other than they're the Best Buy brand and I thought I read the screen for that model was built by Samsung?) or Westinghouse really.

I don't own a PSPro and probably wont upgrade to one for quite some time, so 4K isn't really necessary. Just trying to find the best deal in the 40"ish range.

There's also an ABC Warehouse near me which usually has good prices, but also carries a bunch of brands I've never even heard of.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nothing in that price range is going to be particularly good, but I'd go for the Insignia with a 4.5 star rating with 1100 reviews.

Realistically, just go into the store and look at them both and decide which you think looks better.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Yeah, I wasn't inspecting anything mindblowing for that cost. Just figured if there was something I needed to know about one of them -- I heard some complaints that the blacks on the Insignia are really bad, but then saw that some people say they're fine too (difference between the 2016/17 models?) -- that maybe you guys would know.

Displaylag says the 32" model of that TV I'm looking it from Insignia is fine with display lag. So I guess I'll just go point at one and buy it tomorrow. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Looking some more, I might shell out an extra $50 and get this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-43-class-42-5-diag--led-1080p-black/4807800.p?skuId=4807800

It reviews with better viewing angles and sharper colors, and it has a Game Mode which I kinda miss having after having used my dad's TV that has one.

Tensokuu fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 5, 2017

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Parent's needed a new bedroom TV so got a 32 inch D series Vizio and it's a pretty nice TV. It was $150 at Target about two weeks ago. Check that one out if you have a chance.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

My Samsung has issues with losing details in the blackness, but it's only on certain shows, and it's better than any TV I've ever owned. I don't regret not spending more on a smaller OLED.

Yeah. Coming from a plasma, the black levels aren't as good but it's still pretty drat good and everything else is gorgeous

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm wanting to put a 42" HDTV on the wall above my two 1080P computer monitors (25" each) in my bedroom. So, I can fall to sleep either watching movies/TV or play some Steam while in bed.

My budget is $200-$300. I was thinking about just grabbing some cheapo low latency 1080P HDTV. But, considering it's going to be acting as a third monitor (nothing intensive), I was starting to think a 4K HDTV might be relevant in this situation even though it's only 42".

I'm rocking a GeForce 970 GTX currently. So, that would be running two monitors at 1080P and then the TV at 4K.

This TV is $50 above my budget (really, the cheaper the better). But, I'm thinking this might be the one?

Vizio TCL 43UP130
https://www.amazon.com/TCL-43UP130-...in%3A7688788011
(It's $350 on eBay)

The Samsung UN40KU6300 40-Inch 4K also looks great, but it's closer to $400 :(
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

Or perhaps....VIZIO D40u-D1..
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/d-series-4k-2016

Am I thinking the right way? I guess I can always run my PC in 4K resolution on the TV, 1080P on the two monitors below it. And then play games in 1080p?

EDIT: The more research I do, it seems the Samsung UN40KU6300 seems to be the best choice. I should just choke up a little extra. Got great reviews, has HDR10, and rates well as a PC monitor.

EDIT: Bought it on ebay. $370. Might be a display unit, but the seller has 1,000's of sales with a 99% rating.

89 fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 5, 2017

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
I just wanted to chime in here as I've been lurking this thread for a few months. Thanks to everyone for guiding me to a KS8000. I've always cheaped out on TVs in the past and having a legit decent one is such a stunning departure. I'm never going back.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
i posted this in the PS4 thread, but this might be a better place to post it.

About that Samsung UN40KU6300 40" 4K TV I just ordered....my PS4 Pro is in the living room. From what I've been reading, the longer the cable, the harder it is on a 4K HDR signal to be sent. Although, it seems some have had success with long cables (I think I could possibly get away with using a 35ft or maybe a 25ft cable).

But, my main problem is that I don't want to move my PS4 Pro from my living room. So, I figured I could get a HDMI switch. So it goes:

PS4 Pro HDMI Output
>
HDMI Switch
>
HDMI Switch 1 Output Goes to the Onkyo Reciever that has the Living Room 1080P TV AND HDMI Switch Output 2 Goes Straight to Bedroom 4K TV

I won't be using the 1080p TV while using the 4K one.

What HDMI Switch and what HDMI 2.0 cable should I get? I thought I had the right Switch picked out, but it only outputted 10GBps, and the 4K HDR needs at least 13GBps from what I've gathered.

Will these work?
Switch: https://www.amazon.com/Kinps-Select...hdmi+switch+2.0
Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009K4J8RS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1DCPNQKKEISZB

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

I ended up picking up this Sony R350D: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-40-class-39-5-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-black/5073800.p?skuId=5073800

Looks like it was one of the best TVs for the price point. Wont be able to hook it up for a few weeks as it's for my office when we move, but I'm looking forward to getting it running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Guys and gals, I got the KS8000 and it's blowing me away. The last 'nice' TV I had was a massive Mitsubishi 720p DLP like ten years ago and man how things have changed. Thanks all, I'm in viewing heaven.