Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

He went to prison for hosting and betting on dog fights, the tragic part is the NFL caring more about the gambling than the dog fights.

i don't think that's true op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Are the draft grades college underclassmen get from the NFL advisory board usually pretty accurate?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Are the draft grades college underclassmen get from the NFL advisory board usually pretty accurate?

They aren't accurate to a specific pick, but the are pretty accurate in that they tend to be +/-1 round that they actually go. There are some things you can't account for, from injury, to poor combine or scout day performance, or your instagram getting hacked and posting videos of you smoking weed the night of the draft.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

CellBlock posted:

I've seen announcers talk about this, and I think it's pretty common across quarterbacks. Generally, a silent count is what you say, a non-verbal signal that the team knows how long to wait after. Usually, it's picking up one leg, but yeah, it could be anything.

Then, most QBs will still do their silent snap count motion even when going with an audible count. Part of that might be just to keep themselves in rhythm, but I guess it could also be to try to confuse the defense as to whether they're going with the silent or loud count. (Just like a lot of the "audibles" called out are nothing at all.)
Bolding is mine.

Is there any consensus on what "OMAHA" meant?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Skwirl posted:

He went to prison for hosting and betting on dog fights, the tragic part is the NFL caring more about the gambling than the dog fights.
The United States of America cared more about the fact that the gambling took place across state borders more than anything else. If he kept it in Virginia he would have been fine because Virginia wouldn't care.

Also Vick spent his time in Atlanta making highlight reels against the Panthers so I'm in the position where I want to hate the player but I have to respect the game.

loving hovering over the goal line and reaching out and winning the game

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CannonFodder posted:

The United States of America cared more about the fact that the gambling took place across state borders more than anything else. If he kept it in Virginia he would have been fine because Virginia wouldn't care.

This is pure nonsense. Vick's ranch was in Virginia, probable cause for the raid were the testimonies of a dogfighting informant, and a drug dealer who lived in the ranch getting arrested and talking, both of whom were in Virginia, and the operation was run by Virginia state police.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

CannonFodder posted:

Bolding is mine.

Is there any consensus on what "OMAHA" meant?

I'm blanking myself on what the proper terminology should be, but it was normally the signal that the next sounds were the real call/snap count/whatever. Manning would do a series of audibles and whatnot, some of which may have been real to certain positions, but when "Omaha" came it was usually the signal to the offensive line that his next snapcount was real. Of course, Peyton could (And did) change whether it was a live call or not fairly regularly, infamously in that playoff game vs the Chargers. During his last few years with the Colts, for example, he used "brown" and "white", and when he got to Denver I remember them using "apple" and "hurry hurry" quite a bit, in addition to "Omaha" (Which Eli used a ton during the Giants last Super Bowl run, IIRC). A lot of QBs have similar stuff, like Rodgers with "Green 18" or whatever it is, and Brady has been using "Alpha" or "Alpha Go" in hurry up packages off and on for at least seven or eight years.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Volkerball posted:

This is pure nonsense. Vick's ranch was in Virginia, probable cause for the raid were the testimonies of a dogfighting informant, and a drug dealer who lived in the ranch getting arrested and talking, both of whom were in Virginia, and the operation was run by Virginia state police.

The Feds got involved because his operation crossed state lines. He was primarily prosecuted in federal court on racketeering charges related to gambling, to which he made a plea deal.

There were separate in-state animal cruelty charges that he also pled to.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Gonna be quoting my post from last February if the Falcons win the Super Bowl to prove I'm not a glory hunter. What a season and cheers for the people who recommended I pick Atlanta as my team.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Don't know where else to ask this, but does anyone remember the video (that I'm pretty sure someone from here made) of the Buttfumble game set to The Impossible Dream? Because I've been looking for it for months and can't find it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
With the new travel bans in place do the Miami Dolphins have to worry about bringing Jay Ajayi to their London game next season?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Chichevache posted:

With the new travel bans in place do the Miami Dolphins have to worry about bringing Jay Ajayi to their London game next season?

I would imagine that he would get an exemption. The NBA has already asked the State Department how it will affect some of their players especially since they play games in Toronto, so whatever they do for the NBA they will likely do for the NFL.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

drunk leprechaun posted:

I would imagine that he would get an exemption. The NBA has already asked the State Department how it will affect some of their players especially since they play games in Toronto, so whatever they do for the NBA they will likely do for the NFL.

Maybe not, if the former owner of the USFL New Jersey Generals is still holding a grudge against the NFL.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
A lot of NFL owners are buddies with Trump and/or Trump's subordinates, they could probably grease enough palms to get the players where they need to be on international trips.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Benne posted:

A lot of NFL owners are buddies with Trump and/or Trump's subordinates, they could probably grease enough palms to get the players where they need to be on international trips.

I'm 100% confident and secure knowing Jed isn't friends with Trump

Because he has no friends

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God do you think Trump will be at the Superbowl with this Close Personal Friend Robert Kraft?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I just picture him furiously tweeting from his box after Gaga makes a statement during the half time show.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

its all nice on rice posted:

I just picture him furiously tweeting from his box after Gaga makes a statement during the half time show.

I don't know what the tweet will say, but the last word will be "Sad!"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I don't know what the tweet will say, but the last word will be "Sad!"

Hate to see @ladygaga disrupt this great American day! Have your opinions but not here. Just disrespectful. Sad!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Gonna be quoting my post from last February if the Falcons win the Super Bowl to prove I'm not a glory hunter. What a season and cheers for the people who recommended I pick Atlanta as my team.

Don't worry, nobody else in the NFC south is gonna forget it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Barudak posted:

Don't worry, nobody else in the NFC south is gonna forget it.

LOL

Just reading my first posts in this thread from last February, when I decided to pick the Falcons and was warned crushing disappointment was in store.

Oddly prescient.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How exactly are team sizes managed? Just looking at Washington for example they released 5 guys, got 5 more free agents and then got their draft guys at the start of this season just gone. Did they have way less than 53 people at the start of the season and are now up to 53? Or is there something else I'm missing?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You start with more people than you need (including draft picks) in training camp and progressively cut down.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Red_Fred posted:

How exactly are team sizes managed? Just looking at Washington for example they released 5 guys, got 5 more free agents and then got their draft guys at the start of this season just gone. Did they have way less than 53 people at the start of the season and are now up to 53? Or is there something else I'm missing?

The 53 man roster only has to be met by a certain date, usually a day or two after the final pre-season game. Also, keep in mind on gameday you can only dress 46 players (I think you can have 47 if one of them is a 3rd string QB who once goes in means you can no longer play QB1 or QB2). At the beginning of training camp you can have 90 players on the roster. At some time during the preseason, usually after a game or two, teams have to cut it down to 75. Then 53 before the start of the regular season. Teams are also allowed an 8 man practice squad, but there are a variety of rules governing who can be on it and for how long.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

swickles posted:

(I think you can have 47 if one of them is a 3rd string QB who once goes in means you can no longer play QB1 or QB2).

That rule was eliminated for the 2011 season. Now you just have 46 active players.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
After 2 full seasons of watching the Giants and the NFL I still don't understand why there is such a low importance placed on teams signing Kickers. For example the Giants currently don't have a kicker (or they have a very poor one I can't even remember the name of) and in a recent Q&A on Big Blue View one of their writers was saying it isn't important we don't have a kicker yet because you can just pick a good one up off the street. Can you?

It seems to me that having a good kicker is pretty important for getting points on the board if your offense can't score. I mean if you have a decent kicker and can get the ball to the 35 the odds are good you're not going to have an empty drive. It seems bizarre to me that teams don't care more about getting a good kicker on board. This is not even mentioning the ability to give the other team bad starting position.

What strikes me as bizarre is the Giants picked "a guy off the street" in Robbie Gould when Josh Brown got fired and he just signed elsewhere for 2 years 4 million and from what I could gather he doesn't seem to be that good of a player. Whats the market for a good kicker, money wise?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Seano posted:

kicker talk

Look up Roberto Aguayo. Supposedly if there was a sure thing kicking field goals <45 yards or so he was it. Tampa Bay bought into that and traded up to get him in the second round. Which we've all made fun of around here but it plays into your point, he was supposed to be money, and might have had value if that was true.

Turns out there's really no sure thing and kickers just flake out all the time and it's not really predictable which kicker you should sign. I guess I don't even know how you evaluate kickers other than on how strong their legs are, I suppose it would be a very involved process of looking at their mechanics.

Functionally kickers seem to be kind of interchangeable as far as I can tell unless you're talking about one or two guys who are the best in the game.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Functionally kickers seem to be kind of interchangeable as far as I can tell unless you're talking about one or two guys who are the best in the game.

Who would you consider the best two kickers?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
1. Justin
2. Tucker

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Justin Tucker, then there's a huge gap. Dan Bailey maybe?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MacheteZombie posted:

1. Justin
2. Tucker

... and as great as he is, he went 8 for 19 on deep kicks over 2014-2015.

The problem with kickers is that year to year, there's a couple of guys who are trainwrecks and a few who don't miss anything, but beyond that, the difference between like, the 4th best and 4th worst kicker is around like 4-5 missed FG's.

There's a few kickers like Tucker where you let them try longer kicks because they have the leg other kickers don't have, but uh, sometimes that backfires as above.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

The problem with kickers is that year to year, there's a couple of guys who are trainwrecks and a few who don't miss anything

In 2012 every Green Bay fan was out for Mason Crosby's blood when he hit something like 60% of his field goals. Since then he's been hitting at about an 87% rate. Mike Vanderjagt is remembered for Peyton Manning's 'idiot kicker who got liquored up and ran his mouth off' quote, and if you remember him for more than that it's probably for missing a big kick in a playoff game. But he's the 5th most accurate kicker to ever play the game.

a neat cape posted:

Justin Tucker, then there's a huge gap. Dan Bailey maybe?

Bailey's pretty close to Tucker, and yeah those are the two I was thinking of.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

In 2012 every Green Bay fan was out for Mason Crosby's blood when he hit something like 60% of his field goals. Since then he's been hitting at about an 87% rate. Mike Vanderjagt is remembered for Peyton Manning's 'idiot kicker who got liquored up and ran his mouth off' quote, and if you remember him for more than that it's probably for missing a big kick in a playoff game. But he's the 5th most accurate kicker to ever play the game.

Bailey's pretty close to Tucker, and yeah those are the two I was thinking of.

Kickers also get the yips frequently and nosedive. Nate Kaeding is a prime example

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Or Stephen Gostkowski on extra points last year.

Yeah, you're both right, I should also add that the trainwrecks / gods are also pretty much random year to year. Be it yips, mechanics, lovely ST coaches, god only knows.

But anyway, just don't draft a kicker before like round 3 or 4 and you'll be fine.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Kalli posted:

There's a few kickers like Tucker where you let them try longer kicks because they have the leg other kickers don't have, but uh, sometimes that backfires as above.

Greg Zuerlein Syndrome

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It is probably worth noting that we're in the middle of something like a kicker renaissance.

Today if you hit less than 80% of your kicks you probably kinda suck and people will want to upgrade. Morten Andersen who just made the hall of fame was under that, and by a quick count here there are somewhere north of 20 active kickers who beat that mark. Which is kind of impressive, if anything the league has tried to make field goals harder by introducing the K ball.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

One season is not a large enough sample size to judge a kicker.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Grittybeard posted:

It is probably worth noting that we're in the middle of something like a kicker renaissance.

Today if you hit less than 80% of your kicks you probably kinda suck and people will want to upgrade. Morten Andersen who just made the hall of fame was under that, and by a quick count here there are somewhere north of 20 active kickers who beat that mark. Which is kind of impressive, if anything the league has tried to make field goals harder by introducing the K ball.

Morten Andersen should never have made it to the Hall of Fame though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Morten Andersen should never have made it to the Hall of Fame though.

Well I agree (sorry Saints fans), but he's still one of the all time greats compared to his peers at the time for that position. His peers just weren't anywhere near as good as the guys who came into the league since 2000 or so.

• Locked thread