Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

imo just avoid meeting people from the internet from places where they will show up unsolicited anyway, like here. yeah sure the people you talk to every day directly probably are okay, or you can figure out if they are or not but the lurkers are what you gotta watch out for :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

Dox he ownself with goons?
I do go to HK, but not often. I would definitely not meet any online personalities from this website regardless.

The guys and girls from A/T are pretty nice and worth meeting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All the goons I've met have been great. It's nice to meet some local goons when traveling.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

The Great Autismo! posted:

here ya go guys, pick a random two page sample and go crazy
The "nong" tile should be replaced with "KOREA STORY/CHAT." Otherwise, it's got the staples.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

All the goons I have met have been generally good people with the occasional weirdo sprinkled in but none of them were ever malicious in their weirdness. Maybe that has something to do with Korea but Haiers deep fear of meeting people from the internet makes me think it is more on Haier being a strange person who invites conflict versus goons actually being assholes [however once again maybe chinagoons are a lot different then korea goons.]

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also you're never gonna convince me and the Flem that learning obscure languages is a bad thing for obvious reasons. :v:

Dutch has more than 23 million speakers...okay, yeah, on a global scale that's still nothing.

Anyway, even if all you could consume was CCP propaganda and poorly produced rehashes of Journey to the West, I would still find it interesting to know Mandarin. lovely cultural output says something about a nation, its customs and attitudes, just as much as High Culture does. It's fascinating in its own way.
Plus, in a more general sense, as an immigrant I'd want to be able to speak my host country's language out of principle.

On the other hand, maybe I should defer to the people who actually went to the trouble of learning it.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
it keeps happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciVYMEaFpVg

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There aren't enough Koreagoons too sustain a GBS thread (or even the one in A/T really) so we have to poo poo where we eat, I guess.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Not appaling, but the beauty of nature. You don't gently caress with those funny horsies that are able to defend themselves against lions.

Are there vids of mainlanders taunting wild donkeys? I'm sure they're found on liveleak if there are any.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Some goons are weird and you just avoid them in the future. And like others have said you meet in public if you're worried.

Typically goons I've met have taken part in a local chat group and you can get a vibe from the chat what the people will be like in real life.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
There was an "old SA" thread in gbs a while back with pics of meets. A bunch of incredibly goony looking guys eating the haircave of an incredibly goony looking female. It sort of had the vibe of those pics where hobos are sucking each other off.

I'm not good at internet history, but I think we lost that user segment to 4chan.

The goons that I met were all academics.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 2, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lol, most goons are good but the outliers are bad. At a NYC board game night some goon I was playing a ww2 game with kept shouting that I was, " gonna get raped at this game. I'm gonna rape you."

I had to tell him to quit saying that.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

the best post in the history of SA, IMO.
Put that on a wall scroll somewhere

Haier posted:

Dox he ownself with goons?
I do go to HK, but not often. I would definitely not meet any online personalities from this website regardless.
Yeah, as much as I like some of the people here on SA it's amazing how goony some of them are just online, so I wonder how they'd be in person...

yo deceitful penguin i didn't mean to call you out or anything, just that i remember one post very vividly of someone saying "shut up deceitful penguin" and i lol'd and i had one empty space so i just put you in there. hope there's no hard feelings :cheers:
Nah, it's a good post, I deserved that callout for trolling the forums so much. Even if it's just online it's wrong to deal with your frustrations by inflicting them on others. I'd kinda gotten to the point where I was just being really lovely to see how far I could get and it isn't a good place to be.

also fine with a bit a jossing when it doesn't seem like some dudes trying to hard

basic hitler posted:

i once made the mistake of talking about my job on here too openly and a goon showed up saying he was from the internet with his camera app out asking for a picture. imagine that, but you're in china instead, and the goon you're meeting is a deep cover PLA operative
lol apparently people tried to dox me on SS, which is pretty great because it made me feel justified with being very sparing with personal details here

That said, I've had some decent times meeting goons, I guess it's once again just about whether you wanna take chances or not (i do, god all the bad choices)

Phlegmish posted:

Dutch has more than 23 million speakers...okay, yeah, on a global scale that's still nothing.

Anyway, even if all you could consume was CCP propaganda and poorly produced rehashes of Journey to the West, I would still find it interesting to know Mandarin. lovely cultural output says something about a nation, its customs and attitudes, just as much as High Culture does. It's fascinating in its own way.
Plus, in a more general sense, as an immigrant I'd want to be able to speak my host country's language out of principle.

On the other hand, maybe I should defer to the people who actually went to the trouble of learning it.
wait i thought you were flemish

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 2, 2017

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
The chinagoons i met were all amazing hosts to me and my fiancee, to the point where we met them multiple times on our trips together.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

wait i thought you were flemish

I am, yes.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I am, yes.
Well aight I was talking about Flemish, not Dutch. Heck of a language, it's a tossup between you and the Swiss for most incomprehensible Germanic language for me but I spent a summer working with a Flemish dude and so I can roughly understand it now. There's worse ways to spend an evening than drinking Belgian Beer, talking poo poo and hangin' around bars.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

E_P posted:

All the goons I have met have been generally good people with the occasional weirdo sprinkled in but none of them were ever malicious in their weirdness. Maybe that has something to do with Korea but Haiers deep fear of meeting people from the internet makes me think it is more on Haier being a strange person who invites conflict versus goons actually being assholes [however once again maybe chinagoons are a lot different then korea goons.]
This is some hilarious goony arm-chairing. Hahaha. No, dude, I just don't want to meet people from the Something Awful Forums. I believe many of you are cool people, but letting this forum in my actual daily, physical personal life is just not something I feel like doing.

Did they kill this animal too?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
just buy poop girll a forums account already jeez

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well aight I was talking about Flemish, not Dutch. Heck of a language, it's a tossup between you and the Swiss for most incomprehensible Germanic language for me but I spent a summer working with a Flemish dude and so I can roughly understand it now. There's worse ways to spend an evening than drinking Belgian Beer, talking poo poo and hangin' around bars.

Saying you speak Flemish is like saying you speak American or Austrian. It doesn't make much sense, and you're probably white trash if you do it (OK I don't know if that's a thing in Austria).

Though I suppose the general tones can give you trouble if you're a foreigner and only used to one particular type of Dutch. My French-speaking colleagues at work dread having to talk to a Dutch person on the phone, because they struggle with the accent.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Phlegmish posted:

Saying you speak Flemish is like saying you speak American or Austrian. It doesn't make much sense, and you're probably white trash if you do it (OK I don't know if that's a thing in Austria).

Though I suppose the general tones can give you trouble if you're a foreigner and only used to one particular type of Dutch. My French-speaking colleagues at work dread having to talk to a Dutch person on the phone, because they struggle with the accent.

Eh, thanks to many mountain valleys and centuries of incest (sounds familiar to you Icelanders?), we have a range of dialects that are mostly related to the Bavarian language that can be very hard to understand even for native speakers. In a country to just 8 millions. Good luck figuring out what that allemanic speaking girl wants.

Only being able to use strong viennese dialect makes you white trash, while the rest of the other dialects brand you as a redneck and/or mountaingoat.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kimcicle posted:

Hate to say it, but ~it depends~

The big thing will be your arrival airport. If you're landing at Gimpo, congratulations! You can get on the AREX and be in the city center of Seoul fairly quickly. If you're landing at Incheon, you would be wise to spend the extra $10 and get on the express train from Incheon to Seoul Station, cutting the commute to 35 minutes. The all-stop ticket is cheaper, but you stop at EVERY stop along the way, including Gimpo airport Trains shut down around midnight, so plan accordingly.

Most subways will shut down around midnight and start running again around 5 AM. At that point if you need to go anywhere you'll need a taxi. Taxis are fairly cheap compared to the US.

Stuff like museums and landmarks will be closed if you visit at night, but most of the rest of Seoul is open late at night, especially around college towns.

I think a fast sight-seeing route around Seoul would be Gwanghwamun, -short walk to> Cheonggyecheon -taxi to> Myeong-dong -walk to> Namsam Tower (take the cable car, it's worth it IMO) -walk to> Seoul Station.

You can always take a Seoul City Tour Bus, which isn't free, but might be the best way to hit a bunch of destinations, take a picture, and get back on time.

If you're talking like, 8pm - 4am night time visit, go to any college area (I would recommend Hongdae or Sincheon) and start bar hopping.
I will be landing at 1800 local time so the airport tours are out. I am not in much of a hurry on the way out of Incheon so I will the slow train. I have a 15 hour layover so If I wanted to I could take a morning tour, but after a night like that I rather come back and crash at the airport, sober up so I will arrive with some energy in Hong Kong in the afternoon.

On the way back I will definitely take the free tours on offer as I will be arriving in the early morning. Edit: Bleh all the big free tours are taken, but I could ask if there is an opening on the day and someone always doesn't t6urn up. I could hop onto on of the Japanese/Chinese ones but that would be looking for trouble. I might as well take the train out again and see the city during the day time and hop on the Seoul bus tours you mentioned since I have most of the day to take advantage of it.

Looks like I will be spending about $200 NZD/$150USD over the two days, budgeting $250NZD to be sure. I am a pretty light drinker so that is more than likely over kill and I am not one to be buying nick nacks all that much.

If anyone else has more ideas I will be happy to hear them.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

oohhboy posted:

I will be landing at 1800 local time so the airport tours are out. I am not in much of a hurry on the way out of Incheon so I will the slow train. I have a 15 hour layover so If I wanted to I could take a morning tour, but after a night like that I rather come back and crash at the airport, sober up so I will arrive with some energy in Hong Kong in the afternoon.

On the way back I will definitely take the free tours on offer as I will be arriving in the early morning. Edit: Bleh all the big free tours are taken, but I could ask if there is an opening on the day and someone always doesn't t6urn up. I could hop onto on of the Japanese/Chinese ones but that would be looking for trouble. I might as well take the train out again and see the city during the day time and hop on the Seoul bus tours you mentioned since I have most of the day to take advantage of it.

Looks like I will be spending about $200 NZD/$150USD over the two days, budgeting $250NZD to be sure. I am a pretty light drinker so that is more than likely over kill and I am not one to be buying nick nacks all that much.

If anyone else has more ideas I will be happy to hear them.
Protest Trump outside the US Army base.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

E_P posted:

not wanting to meet goons in real life is just a smart move. just meet up with normal people instead.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

not wanting to meet goons in real life is just a smart move. just meet up with normal people instead.

Most goons are normal people :)

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
i was super, super against meeting goons from SA for the longest time, i couch surfed with one in portugal in like 2011 but besides that i thought y'all were super weird, and when i moved to china i enjoyed shitposting but the thought of actually meeting people from SA super weirded me out. then the more i shitpost and talked to people, the more open to it i was. i met forums user The Worst Muslim in 2012 and he became one of my good friends and then he went to hong kong and met a bunch of goons down there and was super complimentary of everyone. i still was kinda against meeting goons but then a few came to the city i lived in so i showed them around and took them for food and still keep in touch with one of them on a weekly basis or so. then i went to hong kong for some kind of goonmeet and met like 10 goons or so and they were all so nice and we went drinking and told a lot of funny stories and jokes and i realized everyone was really friendly away from shitposting and the internet and we were just normal people in a group of like 4 or 5 having beers and watching the premier league and going on a hike and it was really cool and awesome.

it has completely changed the way that i view about meeting people from the internet.

if you don't want to meet people from SA i certainly can't fault you in the slightest as i was the conductor of that train for like a decade, but if you have a passing interest in china and are near hong kong and you've posted in this thread and a hong kong goon offers to meet up, take them up on it, because it is a great time

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

hong kong goons are fun and good, imo. they'll even go to shenzhen for some real loving xinjiang food

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Normal people don't meet up with goons.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Sheep-Goats posted:

Normal people don't meet up with goons.

What about goons? I mean if there were any goons on this forum, would they meet up with goons?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

What about goons? I mean if there were any goons on this forum, would they meet up with goons?

Yeah bud

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Ehh, so it's not like how Germans use 'dialect' where all the separate languages just have to bow down to the center one?

My good buddy was white trash as gently caress though; a more baller motherfucker I have rarely met. Completely changed my opinion of the Flemish people for the better.

JaucheCharly posted:

Eh, thanks to many mountain valleys and centuries of incest (sounds familiar to you Icelanders?), we have a range of dialects that are mostly related to the Bavarian language that can be very hard to understand even for native speakers. In a country to just 8 millions. Good luck figuring out what that allemanic speaking girl wants.

Only being able to use strong viennese dialect makes you white trash, while the rest of the other dialects brand you as a redneck and/or mountaingoat.
One of my fondest memories of being in Switzerland was turning on the TV, flicking to the German channel and watching some show and kinda understanding, then almost recoiling in horror when the ads came on, all in Schweizerdeutsch.

Speaking of national stereotypes tho, ever had dog?

Baronjutter posted:

Most goons are normal people :)
Lol if your posting isn't almost completely divorced from your lived realities

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
multiple pages explaining that we are all really nice guys and people should just give us a chance and maybe try going out for a little bit

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

ladron posted:

multiple pages explaining that we are all really nice guys and people should just give us a chance and maybe try going out for a little bit

We should have a rest, have some hot water, open the windows and fiercely fight for the 1 mao hongbao

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

There's probably a big difference between goons who can get work + make a life overseas versus the average basement dwelling shitposter who can barely microwave a burrito.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Han Nehi posted:

There's probably a big difference between goons who can get work + make a life overseas versus the average basement dwelling shitposter who can barely microwave a burrito.

all I'm saying is there's a loving popcorn button, why not a burrito button? loving RACIST MICROWAVE MANUFACTURERS that's why.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My microwave has no buttons, just a dial.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Han Nehi posted:

The big issue I've seen in Japan is that is actually does attract some pretty decent people, but they only stay like a year or two. They either go back home having done something cool for a bit or move into a more serious/permanent position. The basement dweller anti-social sperg lords are the ones who stay 8 years before moving back home with nothing to show for it.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
RELATED:
At the turn of the century when I was a young man, back when ICQ was still around, and MSN Messenger was setting to dominate the world for chat (gently caress you, AIM), I had put my info on some penpal websites. It blew my mind soooo much to be able to email and chat with someone from across the world. We were sending cards and postcards and it was cool as heck. Being in Hawaii, a ton of Japanese people wanted to use talk to me, and I met up with many of them when they came to Hawaii for vacation. I almost got engaged to one of them because we were both young and stupid. It was cool as heck to be a reckless youth.

I had a non-retail sales job at that point, and I had to deal with people all day. This gave me a lot of confidence to talk to total strangers as if we were long-lost friends, and I used this when meeting all these people from the internet. I started meeting everyone from the internet. I thought everyone was as honest as me, but then the weirdos started showing up. Usually they were just trying to use me for free tours, or free food, or something. I caught on really quick. I had more good meeting than bad, but the weird ones were enough to make me stop totally.
One was this 45 year old that sent a few blurry photos and was coming to Hawaii on vacation. I was young and stoked that I might get to bang some fit older woman. She arrived and sent me some photos from the bar the night before (remember when flip phones boasted 2MP cameras? LOL). It was totally a dude with long hair wearing women's clothing. I declined to meet and said I had to work.

BANANA CREAM:
My favorite was this lovely woman with a wig. She looked pretty in the photos, and when I saw her I was thinking I had maybe met my next GF, even if it's just while she was in the US for holiday. I asked her about her obvious wig and she took it off to show a bald head. I thought maybe she had cancer. "Oh! Are you sick? Are you ok?" "Yeah, I am fine. I just pulled all of my hair out. I get upset sometimes." She asked if she could move in with me and I had to tell her that her tourist visa wouldn't support her trying to live in the USA for longer than XX days her visa allowed. So then she asked me to marry her so she could stay longer. I was getting freaked out because she was obviously very mentally disturbed. Again, I said I had to work and please enjoy yourself, mahalo.

Back in Japan she wanted to videochat with me. I turned it on and she's naked and holding a banana. I asked her what she was doing and she said she got a job with a Japanese internet company doing webcam sex for Japanese dudes. I asked how much she made and she said the equivalent of about $50-60 per hour at the time, mostly because of tips. She said she wasn't sure about her performance and she wanted me to watch her and tell what to do. She had the typical bedsheet pinned to the wall to make it look like a plain background, but she was sitting on the floor for it.She wanted to get started but she asked if she could not wear the wig because it was itchy, and I told her I never asked her to wear a wig, and definitely not a pink anime one. She showed me her wig collection (hyuge!).
She started using the banana and immediately I could see something was wrong. White ooze started sliming out of her vagina. It was like that JELLO banana cream pudding. The friction of the movement was making it froth. I asked her to stop banging herself with the banana, and WHY was she using an actual piece of fruit? She said she was too shy to buy a toy outside, and she had ordered some online but they didn't arrive yet. I told her she might have a yeast infection. She agreed that it was very itchy and a little painful, but the guys on the webcam really enjoyed it because they thought with her acting that she was actually cumming (LOL at Japanese neckbeards thinking it's normal that women shoot a ton of white goop too).

I could see her room was really small, and I asked her where she lived. She said because she had no normal job because of her "problem," she lived with her parents. She was doing the super loud moaning as part of her act, and I asked if her parents could hear that, since I know Japanese houses are notorious for poor sound insulation. She said they probably could, but they didn't say anything to her.
She tried a few more times to do webcams, but I didn't want. Many years later when I made my first Facebook account, I had used their "Put your various emails into this and we'll go through your contacts and see who has accounts here" feature. She showed up. She tried to add me. It's seven years later and her name is still in my friend request bin on that account. Part of me wants to catch up with her to see how much of a trainwreck she became, but I am sure she's been on an adventure of weird dudes since then and won't remember me.

I still think bald chicks are hot.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Ah what a nostalgia trip, good story.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Nice story Haier, when I close my eyes I can almost smell the banana cream pie pussy yeast mixture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Which dessert will Haier ruin next week?

• Locked thread