Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

United Solar Republic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Free Solar Republic

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
United Solar Sentients' Republic!

(ok but really FSR)

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Rawkking posted:

United Solar Sentients' Republic!

I'd sooner do the United Solar Alliance, in that case. :v:

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Free Solar Republic

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
*with purchase of Solar Republic of equal or greater value.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Tiger Crazy posted:

You should aim to unify all mammals under one banner and they go onto purge the xeno scum. Call it the Mammalian Ascendancy.

The big issue with this is that it will shut out the Meklar and Klackon, while allowing the Darloks to live. Most of the factions I'm sticking with the Liir-lite strategy of "we'll be your pals until you gently caress with us, at which point we will smash you" (actual Liir strategy is "WE RIDE TOGETHER WE DIE TOGETHER ALL OR NOTHING YOU AND ME AGAINST THE oh wait you pissed us off, eat horrible bioweapons motherfucker"). The obvious exception being the Darloks, of course, who I advocate going full nuclear armageddon on, especially now that I've seen the map and we can team up with our robros to hit the shifty bastards from both sides.

I already know that calling for the Darlok to be smote with the fury of ten thousand angry suns is pointless, but I'm doing it anyway because gently caress those guys.

As for what we should call ourselves, I kind of like United Solar Republic, but "solar" could be any star. So a slight modifcation: United Republic of Sol.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

United Serene Solar Republic!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
The Transstellar Union

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
United Solar Republic.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I think I'm going to try and have an update up on Sunday for everybody. If people liked my map editing, I can try and do edited maps more frequently from here on out, even though it's some extra effort. Pretty borders can be fun to look at, I know.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

MechaCrash posted:

As for what we should call ourselves, I kind of like United Solar Republic, but "solar" could be any star. So a slight modifcation: United Republic of Sol.

I make a point in this sort of context to use 'stellar' or 'star' in preference to 'solar' in reference to things that apply generically to stars rather than to Sol itself.

E: That said, I'm starting a new vote for whether the format should be 'Solar Republic' or 'Republic of Sol'. Please vote after this post- even you, MechaCrash. Makes it easier on me.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 2, 2017

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

nweismuller posted:

I think I'm going to try and have an update up on Sunday for everybody. If people liked my map editing, I can try and do edited maps more frequently from here on out, even though it's some extra effort. Pretty borders can be fun to look at, I know.

Having a map was nice, but the area of space infested occupied by the Darlok was pretty hard to spot, being dark purple against black. While this is fitting, it does make it a little harder to read, so you may want to fix this by using a lighter color purging the fuckers from the face of the galaxy with nuclear hellfire.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

MechaCrash posted:

Having a map was nice, but the area of space infested occupied by the Darlok was pretty hard to spot, being dark purple against black. While this is fitting, it does make it a little harder to read, so you may want to fix this by using a lighter color purging the fuckers from the face of the galaxy with nuclear hellfire.

Yeah, I actually used a lighter color than what the game used and it still didn't turn out great. I'll have to experiment with colors next time.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
A more philosophical question for the legislature: with what is known of different alien polities, how consistent do they appear to be with the Republic's values of freedom and sapient rights? The Bulrathi Empire always had its issues, but the Bulrathi Empire is also now a defunct polity whose sapient-rights record is now only of academic interest. Still, to what extent do the values of the FPQ, High Queendom, the Klackons, the Meklar Combine, and the Darlok Administration appear to be consistent with the Republic's values?

Even if we've received useful counterinsurgency techniques and doctrine from the Darlok Administration that of necessity have shed some light on historical methods of the Administration, the fact that they had the experience to develop such sophisticated counterinsurgency doctrine is a bit unnerving.
Yes, the Darloks asked to trade technology with us, giving us counterinsurgency techniques in exchange for upgraded bombs. I simply accepted, on the theory that better bombs are a minimal threat to us as long as we keep space superiority, which we should be able to do- and the technology they gave us frankly was something that directly addressed our current issues with the Bulrathi occupation.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
This question is only obviously relevant for the Mrrshan and Psilon, both of which seem to be relatively culturally compatible with the Solarian species. The Mrrshan's system is feudal, but feudal ties seem to provide a broader level of freedom for the Mrrshan than they did in Human or Bulrathi history. We also have had some success in working with them already. The Psilon Quanta is very distant, but they seem to be run largely as an administrative state where debate is the primary mode of persuasion. It is not clear either would thrive in the Republic without cultural and structural adjustments to the result, but the concerns of citizens of all three seem like they would be broadly similar.

The Meklar are extremely alien, to the point that "individual rights" would be a complicated concept to even define. "Individual" is a more fluid notion for neural gel. However, the Meklar practice of self-exile homesteading would seem to indicate that they have a notion of independence as valuable. If our exact notion of sapient rights doesn't exist in their culture, it could easily be communicated. For their part, the Meklar would be able to model Sol-type cultures as isolated groups of moderately powerful sapients that must coexist but which cannot form more specialized Combines for advanced decision-making. We would be inefficient, slow, and fractious, but we would also have had to—by necessity—develop some useful heuristics. (To touch on an earlier point, the Meklar might also see our domesticated animals as mapping in some sense to low-sapience drones—and we do indeed legally protect our dogs from motivations beyond biodiversity concerns!)

The Klackon have a similar problem with a definition of "individual". Sol-type cultures would want the "individual" to be whichever unit of Klackon life produced the strongest levels of independent willfulness in their own right, and it is not clear from our xenological studies whether that is "individual", "pod", "hive", or something more subtle. Individual lives clearly have enough volition to seek comfort and maintenance but if this hinges on their broader telepathic connections definitions of concepts like "dissent" get more complicated.

The Darlok Cabal's approach to information control and dissemination makes it extremely obvious that the Cabal is no friend to Solar values. An unavoidable consequence of this is that we know too little about the Darlok to be able to reasonably work out whether this incompatibility is intrinsic to the species or a cultural artifact. It is conceivable that they could function acceptably in a Sol-type civilization. However, it is also conceivable that the closest notion they'd have to individual freedom would be something more along the lines of "that state in which nobody can stop you" than a notion of mutual respect of boundaries. Cultural adaptability seems to be a hallmark of most Galactic sapients, so the former is more likely than the latter.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 2, 2017

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
The Solar Republic

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I vote for The United Republic of Sol- quite inclusive, and makes it clear that while administration might take place in Sol, Humanity isn't necessarily the one in charge.

Anyway, with respect to the various alien races and the Republic, I would like to ask a similar question- how do humans see the aliens in general? While the Republic's ideals are indeed worthy of striving for, and it does seem that the government seems to be trying to move in that direction, the common man might not see it that way.

Bulrathi:
Nothing but a deep hatred exists between most humans and the Bulrathi, and while there are efforts to reconcile on both sides, these are minor, and true, long-lasting peace might not be possible for a generation, maybe more. If there is a silver lining to this war (other than the elimination of a Republic rival), it is that our outright conquest and occupation of Bulrathi territory means that something like the Treaty of Versailles and its consequences might not happen. Freeing the Bulrathi people from the stranglehold of their nobles and possibly their Hags might also encourage more independent (or at least, pro-Republic) sentiment. Personally, I'd advise mass assassinations of the nobility to make for a smoother transition, but that's just me.

Mrrshan:
I'd think the average man in the street would be wary of the Mrrshan, though this would be less due to any fault of the Mrrshan, and more the fact that the first alien race Humanity met tried to raze our worlds and salt our fields. On the whole, I think Humanity and the Mrrshan would get along splendidly, though the average member of either race would be irritated and/or annoyed by their counterpart's cultural upbringing- if something goes wrong, for example, the Human might want to take it to court and duke it out in a fair trial, while the Mrrshan might just want to challenge whoever wronged her to a duel. That being said, the opportunity for either of them to adopt the other's way of thinking, or at least adapt to it when in their respective polities, might be higher than when dealing with other races. I can certainly see Mrrshan duelling schools opening up on Human worlds, to help Humans deal with Mrrshan legal procedure, or even simply for fitness purposes, while Mrrshan without the capacity to give a proper fight might want to take matters to Human courts.

Not sure about the other races; I think we'd need more contact and/or trades with them before I can make up suss out the average Joe's view of them.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Speaking of Mrrshan duels, the most common duel format amongst the Mrrshan is the traditional rifle duel, which shares a fundamentally similar format to the traditional spear duel. A traditional Mrrshan rifle duel has a team of judges of honor marking out a square perimeter very approximately a mile on a side, classically set out in the tall grass of the high plains. Each duellist enters the arena on one side, and seeks to find and eliminate their opponent before the opponent finds them. On more hostile planets, the controlled-environment biospheres used for agriculture and scientific purposes have also been adapted as dueling arenas. Attempting to flee the perimeter will have a judge of honor send up a signal that a duelist fled the duel, which is an incredibly black mark on a reputation. (These days, the signal is generally sent out via portable comms.) Likewise, if a duellist is having second thoughts about resolving this via duel, finding a judge of honor and throwing the matter to the judgement of the judges of honor will result in a signal being sent up, and no need for somebody to die that day.

Mrrshan pistol and knife duels are closer to traditional Human duelling forms, involving less stealth and stalking and more face to face combat.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

ManxomeBromide posted:

For their part, the Meklar would be able to model Sol-type cultures as isolated groups of moderately powerful sapients that must coexist but which cannot form more specialized Combines for advanced decision-making.

They might be able to think of government agencies (and/or legislatures) as sort of Combine analogues. The human individuals come and go but the institutions endure.

Speaking of the Melkar, I'm curious about their ships. Couldn't they be commanded by a single Combine (think Culture Mind), even if they need an actual crew as well?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
It's entirely possible to build a fixed Meklar intelligence into a ship, although this is... very unusual, as a practical matter. The 'Combine' in the 'Meklar Combine' is specifically the union of the individual political units governed by their own local governors or councils, and doesn't imply a 'shared intelligence' between the minds in the Main Combine Cycle. You don't want to run a ship by committee, although I suppose hypothetically you could have several fixed intelligences on a ship networked, each with their own area of authority and with one as captain.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Two setting questions based on the variation in our contributions and the clarifications you're making:

1. I'd been operating on the assumption that the minds of the Main Combine Cycle were strongly superhuman intelligences, while the "average Meklar" had roughly human-scale intellect, and a variety of other beings existed with animal-level intelligence while still having the neural gel infrastructure. What is the distribution of intelligences amongst the Meklar?

2. The Bulrathi Empire has fallen, but counterinsurgency is still a concern of the Republic, while many billions of Bulrathi are productive members of our society. What is the governmental situation here? The approach the Republic has taken to the Empire does seem to be in the general vein of "we broke it, we bought it", but do Bulrathi in the long-standing colonies have the vote? Do they send representatives to Sol itself? How much power has been devolved? Cracking the fourth wall a bit, how does NuMoO handle mixed-race polities/planets?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Two setting questions based on the variation in our contributions and the clarifications you're making:

1. I'd been operating on the assumption that the minds of the Main Combine Cycle were strongly superhuman intelligences, while the "average Meklar" had roughly human-scale intellect, and a variety of other beings existed with animal-level intelligence while still having the neural gel infrastructure. What is the distribution of intelligences amongst the Meklar?

2. The Bulrathi Empire has fallen, but counterinsurgency is still a concern of the Republic, while many billions of Bulrathi are productive members of our society. What is the governmental situation here? The approach the Republic has taken to the Empire does seem to be in the general vein of "we broke it, we bought it", but do Bulrathi in the long-standing colonies have the vote? Do they send representatives to Sol itself? How much power has been devolved? Cracking the fourth wall a bit, how does NuMoO handle mixed-race polities/planets?

1. The bulk of Meklar intelligences are in a roughly average human range; their fixed intelligences are a more delicate arrangement that are... weakly superhuman. Meklar fixed intelligences can be compared to Sir Isaac Newton with an embedded math coprocessor and database lookup tables directly networked in for approximate capability. The fact is, however, when you can reliably create people as capable as a Newton and know beforehand they'll be that capable, it tends to have a profound impact on how societies get structured. There are some sub-sapient neural gel 'drones' or 'animals' that get created, but the advantages of a neural gel architecture over conventional computer hardware that can be purpose-programmed definitely gets weaker in the sub-sapient range. Below a certain level, there's not really much point to making an emergent neural gel intelligence when you could just program a conventional robot to do the same task in a more predictable fashion.

2. The Bulrathi planets that have been occupied longer have started to have Republic member states organised within them and moved out of military administration; those member states have the same right to conduct internal affairs as any other member state under the Republic's constitution, send Senators and Assemblymen to the Senate and Popular Assembly in Los Angeles, and get to vote in Presidential elections and Supreme Court nominations. There's an interim state between pure military administration and full member status where the Republic's dependent territories don't get representation at the federal level, and are essentially monitored to make sure they're operating in accordance with the Constitution and its guarantees of rule of law and personal liberties before they're given full rights as a member state.

Mechanically- once a Bulrathi population unit is assimilated, it works at full efficiency for us. Our ground troops use our own imperial ground combat rating, so we don't get that bonus from the Bulrathi, and the Bulrathi imperial bonus for being Ecologists (reducing their pollution output) is removed in favor of our own imperial-level bonuses (+5% morale for being Diplomats and a 25% bonus to trade goods income from Traders). The population-level bonus of high gravity tolerance, however, remains inherent to Bulrathi population. I believe but cannot confirm that captured Klackons would lose the bonus production for being Industrialists, but maintain the bonus food production which is inherent to their population. This is roughly how it worked in MoO2, at least.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 2, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm all for gestures that include as many frees, uniteds, federateds, people'ss, independents, and so on in our name.

Going forward with an independent proposal:

United Galactic Republics

If a country can claim a continent it doesn't hold just by itself for itself, surely a galactic nation can claim a galaxy?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

nweismuller posted:

The population-level bonus of high gravity tolerance, however, remains inherent to Bulrathi population.

Can you still ship pops around a la MoO2 to different planets? Barring that, can you choose the initial species deposited by a colony ship? Would be nice to exploit some high-G planets that would otherwise be unsuitable for colonization. Don't think of it as a forced relocation, more like an opportunity for Bulrathi to forge a new culture on a new world independent of their oppressive past and recent military occupation.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

You can shift population around in nuMOO, but it's a way bigger pain in the rear end than it was in MOO2. I think you can pick which species makes a colony ship, too, but if not there's still ways around it.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
You can choose the species seeding a colony ship, subject to the species actually present on the planet building the ship. Building the ship takes one of the existing population units on the building planet, so, for instance, any colony ship built on Bulra would be seeded with Bulrathi.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I propose the United Union of Togetherness

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
People's Front of Sol Solar People's Front

Provided we don't involve the Solar Popular Front. SPLITTER!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Switching my vote to Solar Popular Front.

:c00lbutt:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Too late for League of Minimally Sentient Races?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Let's keep our votes to the options I actually proposed.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Vote #1 Popular People's Front of Solar Republics

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

United Solar Republic

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

nweismuller posted:

the Floodgates have been opened, the goon hive mind demands this :regd08:.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
We're friends with the Mrrshan, right?

Get Rid Of Slimy darlokS

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
GLORIOUS

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

nweismuller posted:

Just be thankful you can't import flags into this game...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Nevets posted:

Just be thankful you can't import flags into this game...

You just opened up flagchat. How could you?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericFootwear
Nov 4, 2009
I like Solar Republic.

On an unrelated note, I'm not super familiar with this game or this series, but I've always found them interesting. This LP has been a great way to check out a thing I find interesting but can't play because I'm very bad at them and as a result have trouble holding my interest. I'm curious about the other races in the game that aren't in this instance. What are their respective deals/play styles/whatever? Not looking for full Xenorelations write-ups like here, just curious about what else is in the game that we're not seeing here.

• Locked thread