Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I hope the sales generation of all the non-us countries is enough to make up for the fact that only 1 out of 3 pt's this year are in the us. I feel like is US is your main market that having your promotional tour at 2-4 am US time is a pretty dumb idea.

Its definitely whiny, but just seems weird to travel to far away destinations when your playing a card game inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Dehtraen posted:

After the "Thugs 'n Bugs" WOTC / Hasbro flipout / apology, I think we're probably going to get "Jeskai Saheeli" or "Four-Color Saheeli"

this was the stupidest nontroversy in the entire world and the fact that it is the reason we now will never see Breakfast Burrito, Copy Cat or Cheerios on coverage makes me really mad

I generally think that accusations that someone is "just looking to be offended" are in bad faith but in this case, man, it's hard to see another angle

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Wait, what is the objection to "Copy Cat" or "Cat Lady"?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Entropic posted:

The latter could be seen as misogynistic.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Heard one of the guys who plays at my store came in 4th place at GP san Jose last weekend, and of course there was zero loving coverage of it except for the top 8 decks. Thanks cfb/wotc.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

sit on my Facebook posted:

This definitely feels like an under-explored archetype

What else are you running alongside? Improvise stuff? Tezz hisself?

It's a Tezzeret deck, yes.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Bugsy posted:

Heard one of the guys who plays at my store came in 4th place at GP san Jose last weekend, and of course there was zero loving coverage of it except for the top 8 decks. Thanks cfb/wotc.

look the thing that makes esports successful is teams wearing jerseys - not easy to access, daily (if not near-constant), live coverage of events at every level of competition

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Entropic posted:

They just plain don't do creative deck names anymore. The downside of someone getting offended and complaining has been judged to outweigh the upside of me smirking when the name pops up on coverage.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sickening posted:

I hope the sales generation of all the non-us countries is enough to make up for the fact that only 1 out of 3 pt's this year are in the us. I feel like is US is your main market that having your promotional tour at 2-4 am US time is a pretty dumb idea.

Its definitely whiny, but just seems weird to travel to far away destinations when your playing a card game inside.

Marketing people choose the destinations. Marketing people attend them.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It's really not hard to work out if a funny deck name is stream-safe, even if you're being conservative.

Copy Cat: yeah there's literally nothing there go nuts
Cat Lady: ehhhhh there's a chance, nope

I don't see why you can't have Breakfast Burrito *and* not have B/x decks named Thugs and Bugs, but maybe I'm expecting a little much.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

New Wotc coverage feature, the "advantage bar"

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Rinkles posted:

Note that it took them about 5 tries to get the bar to point in the right direction.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Cards still glare obscured, Limited still boring. Pro Tour as usual.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Coverage gonna call the Cat decks by their proper name tomorrow? I get not wanting to use obscure or goofy names, but copy cat is actually descriptive.

Don't know about the official designation, but Marshall's on the cat train.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
"You know, these copy cat decks might seem the same, but they're really very different decks"

Uh huh. I remember the commentators saying that about Eldrazi as well... "oh there's really five different archetypes here, It's very diverse! Please don't quit Modern"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rinkles posted:

Marketing people choose the destinations. Marketing people attend them.
I was always more interested in attempting to qualify for more exotic PTQs myself. Thought others had the same motivation for sweet trips :shrug:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Good job nerds, get all up in arms about naming and they totally swerve you all and call it copy cat.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

Don't know about the official designation, but Marshall's on the cat train.

Oh good, Saheeli -> Negate -> Negate back.

Standard looks so fun!

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Jabor posted:

Standard looks so fun!

It was Dispel back even though the commentators said Negate for some reason.

Also another vote for "Standard looks so fun" but not ironic.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

what is even the point of that, other then being dead wrong when a control deck stabilizes at 5 life

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jabor posted:

Standard looks so fun!

ah, i've found the player who likes green creature match-ups for days

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What am I even supposed to be looking at on the "advantage bar"?

Oh wait is it the tiny arrows that are dark grey on black?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

mandatory lesbian posted:

ah, i've found the player who likes green creature match-ups for days

The only reason why I am salty about it is that I had a Twin deck as my modern deck and then they print this poo poo.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

what is even the point of that, other then being dead wrong when a control deck stabilizes at 5 life

They're on the Twitch TV home page this go 'round, so maybe an attempt to throw the most minimal life vest to the general audience which is drowning in a sea of glare and implicit game rules.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

I'd assume they take stuff like that into consideration. It's probably so people browsing through twitch don't see the guy with 1 hp and think he has no chance.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

For everybody making fun of the Advantage Meter, I'm pretty sure that WotC actually mined their Magic Online data for decks matching the current-playing decklists and developed a hierarchical Bayesian model for win conditional on the current board, turn number, hand size, and player ELO. The Advantage Meter is a real reflection of the current player's actual probability to win.

lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So are there numbers up for the decks at the pro tour?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It's round 5, the second round of constructed....so probably not.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

KillarySwank posted:

If you're bad at the format, just play Affinity.

um I play BURN, thanks.

I just decided I hadn't played enough Modern to really bother trying to grind to the top 100 or whatever you need to actually get something back. I got ~160th last year and got a single pro point in reward, so I decided the $100 main event wasn't worth my time or money, since I live here and have no invested interest in going to this event.

So I bought the $50 poo poo package so I get the playmat and promo and boosters and whatever, and I can just draft or play smaller constructed events. And leave whenever I want!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Making the players wear these big headsets is really, really stupid.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Sickening posted:

It's very very far from the stupidest thing they expect of their ~pro players~.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

I was watching a PT finals yesterday, and the crowd erupting when an important but not decisive card was drawn - audibly to the finalists - made the whole thing feel very amateur. This looks silly, and perhaps part of the reason is wanting to look more like an actual esport, but the headphones address an actual issue.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Oh man, the PT has more twitch viewers than amaz does on HS at the moment, that's rare.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

ShaneB posted:

Oh man, the PT has more twitch viewers than amaz does on HS at the moment, that's rare.

drat, must be a rough day for Amaz.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Procrastinator posted:

drat, must be a rough day for Amaz.

Still don't get why people like Amaz.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Number 1 on Day 1 is Mardu Vehicles. I wouldn't have predicted that.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Day 1 metagame breakdown:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptaer/pro-tour-aether-revolt-day-1-standard-metagame-breakdown-2017-02-03

Mardu Vehicles at the top with 22,4%, Jeskai builds of Copycat at 16,9% and Constrictor based BG builds at 15.5% coming next.

When put together, different Copycat builds at 24,7% if I didn't count wrong.

Edit: They do note this themselves after the table.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

Still don't get why people like Amaz.

He's AWFUL.

However, his Eternal streaming is actually watchable for now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

They are spending more times building team stories than playing loving matches at this point. HOly gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

They are spending more times building team stories than playing loving matches at this point. HOly gently caress.

Magic is all about the story.

Even when it isn't.

• Locked thread