Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Scarecow posted:

G-snyc will work but only for the first monitor and speaking as someone who has a x34 and 2 27' 1440p monitors holy poo poo its too much

What do you need 3 montiors for anyway?

He wants the extra monitors for Twitch stream reference. I have a friend who's a "professional" Twitch streamer and uses three monitors, but he also recently resorted to using a second dedicated PC to stream additional cameras being trying to do too many things on one PC apparently gets dicey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Scarecow posted:

G-snyc will work but only for the first monitor and speaking as someone who has a x34 and 2 27' 1440p monitors holy poo poo its too much

What do you need 3 montiors for anyway?

Lol, I'm actually considering this. I currently have dual 27" 1440p IPS 60Hz panels. I was considering a XB271HU but I kind of can't justify paying that much for the same size and resolution but with g-sync. G-sync and 144Hz is awesome, but man I don't know. An X34 would be a lot more expensive but would also feel more of an upgrade due to it being ultrawide.

Then there's the fact that my desk setup is pretty sweet right now with a dual monitor mount. I don't really want to shell out for a triple monitor mount just to keep the same setup going, plus it means the monitors will be hanging out the sides of my desk.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Constellation I posted:

Lol, I'm actually considering this. I currently have dual 27" 1440p IPS 60Hz panels. I was considering a XB271HU but I kind of can't justify paying that much for the same size and resolution but with g-sync. G-sync and 144Hz is awesome, but man I don't know. An X34 would be a lot more expensive but would also feel more of an upgrade due to it being ultrawide.

Then there's the fact that my desk setup is pretty sweet right now with a dual monitor mount. I don't really want to shell out for a triple monitor mount just to keep the same setup going, plus it means the monitors will be hanging out the sides of my desk.

Sell one of the 1440p 60Hz ones and use the money to chip in on the XB271HU, suddenly you can justify the price!

Status_Surge posted:

i did check out the Acer Predator X34 and i see they advertise running a three monitor setup, though i have mainly just used my secondary monitor as a multi-tasking screen. if i did go with 3 of them would my dual titans be able to handle it or should i stick with just one and buy 2 less expensive screens for my multi-tasking needs? I'm mainly going to be doing gaming/streaming so having a second monitor helps with twitch chat and to make sure my stream is still running.

If you are streaming I would consider the XB271HU over an ultrawide because of the aspect ratio, most people are still on 16:9 and streaming in 21:9 will just annoy most viewers. Hell, I'm not even sure how streaming in 21:9 even works on twitch or youtube, do they support that at all?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
YouTube supports 21:9 videos, I'd imagine they did streaming as well. Dunno about twitch though

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

PerrineClostermann posted:

YouTube supports 21:9 videos, I'd imagine they did streaming as well. Dunno about twitch though

Here's an old twitch video of me using the best monitor in the world to play a very old game. It works just fine.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/114333132

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 1, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Scarecow posted:

I also have this setup and I disagree that it is in any way too much. I often have web pages/Amazon/whatever on the left, a game on the X34 in the center, and then Plex/chat/monitor stuff on the right. If you have a large enough desk to fit 'em all it's great! You do have to angle in the flank monitors pretty severely, but that's not much of an issue unless your desk is ribbon thin.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Do the thread-favorite X34s always get 100hz reliably with the "overclocking"? I'm considering getting one, but the Asus PG348Q says it'll do 100hz out of the box.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

NeuralSpark posted:

Do the thread-favorite X34s always get 100hz reliably with the "overclocking"? I'm considering getting one, but the Asus PG348Q says it'll do 100hz out of the box.

The x34's do not guarantee it and have been known to only do 95 sometimes. I'd be fine with that but ymmv.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Sell one of the 1440p 60Hz ones and use the money to chip in on the XB271HU, suddenly you can justify the price!

I wish. I love my current U2713H, so I'll probably hold on to that if anything. The other monitor is a Korean Shimian. I checked my local listings and they're currently selling for $200 CAD, lol. I'd rather keep it rather than bother selling at that price.

I'll probably hold out longer for newer monitors with HDR since I've already been waiting this long. Might as well get one with all feature sets. The new 27" 4k monitor with HDR isn't appealing to me though.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
My current monitor is still doing well but it is getting OLD....at least 10 years at this point. It was top of the line when I bought it, I think it is a 32 or 34 inch Dell.

Can I get a worthwhile upgrade over it for $700 or so? There's a U3415W for $585 on Amazon, for instance.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

NeuralSpark posted:

I think there's been all of one guy in this thread who couldn't hit 100Hz, and a good number of people have bought them. Anecdotal evidence, YMMV, etc., but it looks like you have to get somewhat unlucky to not hit 100Hz. Crap, I got a refurb and mine hits 100Hz no problem.

That said, I'd all but guarantee you that you'd never be able to tell 95 vs 100 even if you sat them next to each other.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

I think there's been all of one guy in this thread who couldn't hit 100Hz, and a good number of people have bought them. Anecdotal evidence, YMMV, etc., but it looks like you have to get somewhat unlucky to not hit 100Hz. Crap, I got a refurb and mine hits 100Hz no problem.

That said, I'd all but guarantee you that you'd never be able to tell 95 vs 100 even if you sat them next to each other.

Yeah like for me I only care about a monitor hitting 90hz, because then I can play Oculus games with the GPU fps limiter set up properly, and not have to keep switching the frame cap between 90fps/60fps depending on what I'm playing.

Plus I think if you run Oculus games which run at 90hz on the headset and it is mirroring to the monitor that is below that, I think it causes some anomalies? Like extra energy usage or something.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

bewbies posted:

My current monitor is still doing well but it is getting OLD....at least 10 years at this point. It was top of the line when I bought it, I think it is a 32 or 34 inch Dell.

Can I get a worthwhile upgrade over it for $700 or so? There's a U3415W for $585 on Amazon, for instance.

The U3415W is a very good screen, it's 3440x1440 which is likely a big step up in terms of resolution if not size, and it's got a lot of nice features. I'm gonna guess you do some actual work on it as well, so things like a really good stand with nice easy adjustment, a USB hub that has two connections so you can tie a different USB cable to two different video inputs and switch your keyboard and mouse between computers just by switching the video input and some picture by picture features might make a difference for you. Also in general working on an ultrawide is amazing, it's more like two monitors side by side with no bezel than 16:9 screens.

Edit: where the hell is the U3415W for that price on Amazon? I'm totally pointing it out to my boss at that price, he's in the market for an ultrawide for home use.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

xthetenth posted:

Edit: where the hell is the U3415W for that price on Amazon? I'm totally pointing it out to my boss at that price, he's in the market for an ultrawide for home use.

They come up for about that price in the used / refurb section from time to time. Two of them there right now.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I overclocked my 60Hz monitor to 66Hz. Great success

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

The U3415W is a very good screen, it's 3440x1440 which is likely a big step up in terms of resolution if not size, and it's got a lot of nice features. I'm gonna guess you do some actual work on it as well, so things like a really good stand with nice easy adjustment, a USB hub that has two connections so you can tie a different USB cable to two different video inputs and switch your keyboard and mouse between computers just by switching the video input and some picture by picture features might make a difference for you. Also in general working on an ultrawide is amazing, it's more like two monitors side by side with no bezel than 16:9 screens.

Actually it appears I'm....using one right now at work, which I did not realize before right now.

I love it for work stuff, how does it do with games? And is there a consensus on curved vs not curved?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

bewbies posted:

I love it for work stuff, how does it do with games? And is there a consensus on curved vs not curved?

Generally regarded as middling. It's 60Hz with moderate response times, little ghosting, and no *sync. It'll perform more or less how you'd expect a general IPS screen from a year or two ago to perform--it gets the job done, and is fine for most games, but if you're expecting to use it for high-end FPS games like CS:GO you're gonna be disappointed.

Curved > Not curved.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

My X34 was a refurb that only hits 95hz. I paid $730 for it, I'll take half price for 5hz. Its pretty hard to hit a solid 100hz at 3440x1440, anyway.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Can't wait to see ultrawides at 144hz.

That are not $2000.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

bewbies posted:

And is there a consensus on curved vs not curved?

Curved is better than not for ultrawides, because the corners look like they're angled away from you on a flat screen, which is not good. The U3415W is a nice big well made panel as far as gaming goes but it's nothing special as far as gaming features like higher Hz capability or *sync, both of which are cool and good. At home I've got a refurb XR341CK (75 Hz Freesync) that I got for $600 but I have no idea if that's available, since I got it through acer refurb.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Dunno if it is the same in America or just due to our good consumer laws, but if you buy an X34 in Australia and it doesn't do 100Hz then you can return it for a refund or replacement.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

Dunno if it is the same in America or just due to our good consumer laws, but if you buy an X34 in Australia and it doesn't do 100Hz then you can return it for a refund or replacement.

I mean, Acer calls it an "overclock" so that they can weasel out of guaranteeing it, but yeah if you pressed the issue in the USA you could return it as well to most places. Not every place has free return shipping though. Amazon does, and NewEgg if you have premier, but others will try to at least hit you with return shipping and/or restocking fees.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I mean, Acer calls it an "overclock" so that they can weasel out of guaranteeing it

It's much harder to weasel out of stuff like that in Australia. Consumer protection laws are still pretty good (for now, we'll see how long it takes for the current government to disappear the ACCC)

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I mean, Acer calls it an "overclock" so that they can weasel out of guaranteeing it, but yeah if you pressed the issue in the USA you could return it as well to most places. Not every place has free return shipping though. Amazon does, and NewEgg if you have premier, but others will try to at least hit you with return shipping and/or restocking fees.

Amazon has a great return policy on their monitors. I got a Asus PG279Q with bad backlight bleed. I requested a refund and they had a UPS guy pick it up from my house

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Rabid Snake posted:

Amazon has a great return policy on their monitors. I got a Asus PG279Q with bad backlight bleed. I requested a refund and they had a UPS guy pick it up from my house

I'm pretty much scared to return anything on Amazon. I have like $1000 in gift card balance and they can arbitrarily decide you return too many things, cancel your account with no warning or appeal, and pocket the gift card balance. They've hosed people many times like that and I don't get how it's legal.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I can't say I've ever heard of that sort of thing happening, but there absolutely have been plenty of people in this thread who have played monitor roulette with Amazon for extended periods of time (like 4-5 monitors) with no ill effects.

I'd also imagine that pocketing GC balances without evidence of fraud or the like would also be illegal--perhaps just not worth it to contest if the balance is low enough, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Zero VGS posted:

I'm pretty much scared to return anything on Amazon. I have like $1000 in gift card balance and they can arbitrarily decide you return too many things, cancel your account with no warning or appeal, and pocket the gift card balance. They've hosed people many times like that and I don't get how it's legal.

Why would you keep a grand in a place that they can just take it from you? That seems weird.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah, I've heard this happen quite a bit online. They seem to be mostly for repeat returns on non-defective products, though. Still lovely to lose access to a major online retailer like that.

I've always tried to get monitors from big box stores with gracious return policies, unfortunately the ones in Canada mostly only have stock online so if I do need a replacement, you'll have to wait for another monitor to ship. The ones with actual stock in-store have poo poo return policies with restocking fees.

I just hate how we're paying so much for these high-end monitors but can't get a dead pixel guarantee. My drat Korean eBay monitor was guaranteed and personally inspected to be dead pixel free for a premium of like $20 at the time.

I've had to deal with it too many times in the past with regards to any purchase with a drat screen on it.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Constellation I posted:

I just hate how we're paying so much for these high-end monitors but can't get a dead pixel guarantee. My drat Korean eBay monitor was guaranteed and personally inspected to be dead pixel free for a premium of like $20 at the time.

While retailers in canada tend to be poo poo thanks to lack of competition, this particular bit from ebay sellers is just PR. Had you received a non-perfect monitor (and their perfect pixel stuff allows for dead pixels, just less than the regular variant) you would have been offered a refund of your twenty bucks, and not a replacement at all. No one opened the box and checked anything once it left the factory. Getting a warranty from square is generally a better option for ebay monitor purchases.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

DrDork posted:

The X34 arrived today. After an hour warming up, there's light to mild BLB in the corners but it doesn't affect the image when at desktop or in game, so I'm think I'm OK with it. I've got my SpyderPro running a color calibration right now, but it wasn't too bad out of the box save for the brightness being cranked up. Overclocked right to 100hz first time. :woop:

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

While retailers in canada tend to be poo poo thanks to lack of competition, this particular bit from ebay sellers is just PR. Had you received a non-perfect monitor (and their perfect pixel stuff allows for dead pixels, just less than the regular variant) you would have been offered a refund of your twenty bucks, and not a replacement at all. No one opened the box and checked anything once it left the factory. Getting a warranty from square is generally a better option for ebay monitor purchases.

It wasn't really an additional $20 premium like a fee or anything like that. But it was about $20 more than their regular variant. I dunno, I did quite a bit of research at the time (almost 5 years ago at this point) and bought from a seller that had a lot of previous buyers verifying that their monitors came with zero dead pixels.

Different eBay sellers list these differently, some would have perfect pixel in the listing name, but the detailed listing accounts for a possibility of 0-5 dead pixels. The particular seller I got it from had the listing specifically mention zero dead or stuck pixels, guaranteed.

Considering me and 4 other friends all ordered it and none of the monitors came with a single dead pixel, I'd take this particular seller's word for it. Anectodal evidence, but the product was received as advertised.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Pulled the trigger on a PG348Q today, since it's discounted to EUR 999 due to an etailers 25th anniversary over here. YOLO, right? Should be here tomorrow.

Now release that 1080ti already, Nvidia.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, I'm looking to update my crappy 60hz 1080p monitor with something a little better for gaming. I really can't afford anything more than about 250ish. Are either of these two decent? I'm not really looking for the absolute best, just a nice upgrade. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/philips-24-led-hd-gaming-monitor-black-red/3162706.p?skuId=3162706#tabbed-customerreviews vs http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-24-led-hd-gaming-monitor-gray/1097421.p?skuId=1097421 or anything better for that price range.

Also, I wanted to use my old one for a second display, will a 144hz and 60hz monitor play nicely? I have a 1050 gtx that has a dvi-d and hdmi output. I'm guessing I just plug each monitor into each one, or is running a splitter better?

I'd prefer to pick on up at a physical store because I'm a shitbag who can't wait. This is my last weekend off for 2 weeks, but I would consider ordering online if I wound up getting a much better deal.

e: if it helps answer the dual monitor question, this is what I have at the moment http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-li2364d-23-ips-led-fhd-monitor-black/5203200.p?skuId=5203200

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 3, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://techreport.com/news/31375/acer-xr382cqk-gets-ahead-of-the-freesync-curve

God loving damnit, Acer, what the everloving gently caress is the point of a 48-75 Hz VRR range?!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Constellation I posted:

Considering me and 4 other friends all ordered it and none of the monitors came with a single dead pixel, I'd take this particular seller's word for it. Anectodal evidence, but the product was received as advertised.

The vast majority of the Korean monitors were perfectly fine regardless, hence why this thread generally recommended against paying extra for "perfect pixel" versions since the sellers were pretty clearly just using it to pad their pockets. The only ones worth paying a little extra for were the US sellers, since on the off chance you did need to return it, shipping wouldn't be stupid expensive.

I do find it somewhat obnoxious that (assuming you have a DL-DVI port available) those are still some of the best bang-for-your-buck monitors available.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking to update my crappy 60hz 1080p monitor with something a little better for gaming. I really can't afford anything more than about 250ish. Are either of these two decent? I'm not really looking for the absolute best, just a nice upgrade. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/philips-24-led-hd-gaming-monitor-black-red/3162706.p?skuId=3162706#tabbed-customerreviews vs http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-24-led-hd-gaming-monitor-gray/1097421.p?skuId=1097421 or anything better for that price range.

Also, I wanted to use my old one for a second display, will a 144hz and 60hz monitor play nicely? I have a 1050 gtx that has a dvi-d and hdmi output. I'm guessing I just plug each monitor into each one, or is running a splitter better?

I'd prefer to pick on up at a physical store because I'm a shitbag who can't wait. This is my last weekend off for 2 weeks, but I would consider ordering online if I wound up getting a much better deal.

e: if it helps answer the dual monitor question, this is what I have at the moment http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-li2364d-23-ips-led-fhd-monitor-black/5203200.p?skuId=5203200

I'm going to again recommend the Nixeus NX-VUE24A, it's significantly better than either of the monitors you linked, the only problem is that you have to order it off of Amazon, but it's still well worth it for the better quality screen and flicker free backlight.

The monitors should work fine together. You need to connect each monitor separately.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm trying to find information on using HDR display technology on Windows, but it's a bitch because the term HDR has been poisoned by crappy photo filter software. So far I've been able to find that Windows 10 supports it, probably, if you have a newish video card. Anyone have a good resource to read for this?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

TomR posted:

I'm trying to find information on using HDR display technology on Windows, but it's a bitch because the term HDR has been poisoned by crappy photo filter software. So far I've been able to find that Windows 10 supports it, probably, if you have a newish video card. Anyone have a good resource to read for this?

As you've seen, "HDR" means different things to different groups. I'll discuss HDR as it applies to 10-bit color, which is what most of the computer industry means when they're talking about HDR and the future of display technology (AMD in particular is on this kick at the moment). I'm purposely ignoring "HDR" as used by games and whatnot to signify "we oversaturated the gently caress out of this to make colors pop more."

The long and short of it is, though, at the moment 10b "HDR" is pretty limited. You need a monitor that supports it, which while they exist (may also be referred to as "wide-gamut"), are uncommon and generally expensive. You need a video card that supports it (almost all do these days in terms of hardware, but some NVidia cards have it software disabled to try to push you to their Quadro line, I believe). You need an OS that supports it (Windows Vista on up). And, finally, you need a program that is aware of all of the above. That last part is usually the biggest hurdle: due to the relatively low penetration of 10b monitors, very few applications correctly support it. Mostly you'll find content-creation software like Photoshop supports it correctly, while virtually nothing else does.

The end result is that colors on everything except the 10b-aware programs look a bit funny, while the 10b-aware programs are able to leverage the technology to display more accurate colors, usually for people interested in print-matching and the like.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 3, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

mcbexx posted:

Pulled the trigger on a PG348Q today, since it's discounted to EUR 999 due to an etailers 25th anniversary over here. YOLO, right? Should be here tomorrow.

Now release that 1080ti already, Nvidia.

I'm waiting on the 1080Ti too. My 1070 struggles with my X34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, I think the best choice as far as 24-inch monitors with Gsync goes is the Dell S2417DG, it's got a 1440p screen and one of the better quality TN panels out there along with Gsync and 144Hz refresh rate. The 1060 will handle 1440p well enough and a monitor is a long term investment so when you upgrade your video card in a few years the monitor will still have some headroom to make use of the extra power of a faster GPU. It would be nice if you could get IPS instead of TN but you only see IPS on the 27" Gsync monitors starting at around $700.
I'm looking at a S2417DG too, I'm in a similar boat with a 1060 graphics card but I'm not looking to upgrade it any time soon. Is there anything cheaper I should look into that still does 144Hz and G-Sync?