Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also Phil did something I don't see a lot of people do and outright attack the people who gave him money, because they didn't give enough or something similar. You don't have to thank someone for every dollar but that'll stop people giving you money quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
The very concept of Phil escapes me. How has he lasted this long with this kind of behavior?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bobjr posted:

Also Phil did something I don't see a lot of people do and outright attack the people who gave him money, because they didn't give enough or something similar. You don't have to thank someone for every dollar but that'll stop people giving you money quick.

As a patreon guy, seeing him do this was absolutely mind boggling to me. I am extremely thankful every day that people actually bother to give me money, even if they only give like 1 dollar, because they like my let's plays. And that's not to talk myself up as the holy saint of appreciating things or whathaveyou. It's just that, to me, acknowledging those people and being grateful for what they've given you is just human decency. The generosity of people who decide to donate to you is not something to take lightly, and yet Phil still did one better than that by complaining in earnest that they didn't give him enough money. It's such an insane thing to do. I have no sympathy for him.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

bman in 2288 posted:

The very concept of Phil escapes me. How has he lasted this long with this kind of behavior?

Train-wreck rubbernecking.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Train-wreck rubbernecking.

There are like a dozen YouTube channels built around compiling Phil being bad at games. I tend to think those channels kept Phil around a bit longer as it pulled new viewers who were all like "there's no way he's like this all the time."

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Lazyfire posted:

There are like a dozen YouTube channels built around compiling Phil being bad at games. I tend to think those channels kept Phil around a bit longer as it pulled new viewers who were all like "there's no way he's like this all the time."

I can confirm. I watched one of the edited videos about his playthrough of Resident Evil. He rescued Chris so he had me and my guys's LP beat. Then I watched the other edited videos that they made up to RE3 and suddenly I became a "Phil Head". Phil's not that bad when he's edited and Hell, I'll say it: I'm charmed by his dumb idiot voice.

I haven't watched him in months though so maybe the spell wore off.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

bman in 2288 posted:

With this kinda person you eventually end up just having to put them in prison or elect them president

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
DarkSydePresident, I can see the fail compilations now

Let's Try Running for Office

Let's Fail At - Running The Country

This is how you DON'T run a government position

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

DSP tries it: Vetoing a bill

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

DarkSydePresident, I can see the fail compilations now

Let's Try Running for Office

Let's Fail At - Running The Country

This is how you DON'T run a government position

We've already got that in office.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
"What do you mean I have to hire my own staff? Obama doesn't just hand them off to you?"

"I try to make my own laws but... SEE! The Judicial branch keeps taking them away from me!"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bobjr posted:

Yeah, besides insulting youtube AND twitch that gives him ad revenue, he insults the people who watch his stuff. Was it his Pokemon Moon stream where bitches that his viewers are being "lazy" for not showing up to watch his streams? You really can't come out on top being associated with Phil. If you made any videos with him you're the one who ruined it all and cut contact, if you are a business that he took loans from you're blackmailers and predators, if you're a platform in which he does his business you're a loving idiot who doesn't know how to do your job that intentionally wants to gently caress him over, and if you're a fan you're lazy, selfish and stingy and you don't want him to succeed.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I don't know all the details, but at some point some fans built him a high end gaming/recording rig for incredibly cheap. He couldn't get it to work so he blamed and/or insulted them on video.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, DSP was stupid aggressive towards his own audience, and it wasn't even in an endearing, "I give you poo poo and you give me poo poo" kind of way, he just sounded entitled and assholish every time. Dude could be in the upper echelon of YTers if he played his cards right, but instead he jerked off on them, then set them on fire and ate them while they were still ablaze.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
In other news, JonTron has been revealing himself to be in favor of the alt-right on his Twitter.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think his position is a bit more nuanced than that, and I'm certain some of it is just him loving with people because he thinks they are too easily offended or whatever, but yeah he has some fuckin weird political views. Not that it necessarily matters if his content is good imo but man he always makes a stand on the weirdest stuff. Like that time someone told him that saying 'retarded' is a slur against the mentally deficient and he took that as his cue to rant about political correctness for several days

that said, here is why I think he is at least a little bit messing with people, because in that same discussion he said this

and it's like, come on man

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 3, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That's not "weird," that's being a shithead.

I also don't think that he's just "messing with people." Given how buddy-buddy he's being with MRA-Nazi shitfucks like Sargon I think it's more likely those are his actual views.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Jon is way too interested in 1) saying dumb poo poo and 2) defending the dumb poo poo he said to the death. Even without this stupid garbage his Twitter was always pretty boring though, so until it leaks into his videos (which is probably unlikely, I think) it's easy to ignore.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Who reads jontrons Twitter and only just now realized he's alt right.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

CJacobs posted:

that said, here is why I think he is at least a little bit messing with people, because in that same discussion he said this

I think it is/was more of him realizing his views are unpopular and he backs down and tries to play it off humorously.

Of course none of that matters anymore.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I think his position is a bit more nuanced than that, and I'm certain some of it is just him loving with people because he thinks they are too easily offended or whatever, but yeah he has some fuckin weird political views. Not that it necessarily matters if his content is good imo but man he always makes a stand on the weirdest stuff.

Doesn't look like it considering the 5 hour stream he did with Sargon of Akkad

Taken from Internet Critic thread:

Roth posted:

Oh, I didn't realize he was actually streaming with Sargon of Akkad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyFXpXVZ8ho

Some things he apparently said include:

- Said abortion isn’t a right and the govn’t shouldn’t be paying for your mistakes
-Says women are in no way oppressed.
-Says brown women are pushing white women out of feminism and at each other throats at any chance they get
-People who call the system racist are “lunatics”
-Compared SJWs and Democratics to Hitler
-Agreeing Trump is so far an effective leader
-Said if you are an “obedient citizen” you have nothing to worry about and that Trump is not a white supremacist

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Look, you can either be "apolitical" and LITERALLY never bring politics into your videos, which is fine by me; or take a clear stance on topics. You don't get to clearly state your views on political topics, then say "actually i don't care and i was doing it to bother the pc crowd". Just say you like the alt-right, at least that's honest poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm sure he is being genuine, but there's no doubt in my mind he's playing it up to get a rise out of people because like I said he is a weird person and has done that before. Him being a shithead is not necessarily why it's weird.

Roman Reigns posted:

I think it is/was more of him realizing his views are unpopular and he backs down and tries to play it off humorously.

Of course none of that matters anymore.

This is probably closer to the truth.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SkeletonHero posted:

I don't know all the details, but at some point some fans built him a high end gaming/recording rig for incredibly cheap. He couldn't get it to work so he blamed and/or insulted them on video.

According to reddit:

quote:

He's playing, recording 60 FPS @1080p and streaming at the same time on the same computer. He's probably recording to the same drive that he's running the game off of, so that can't help.

So yeah, no surprise. Phil was being stupid.

Leal posted:

Was it his Pokemon Moon stream where bitches that his viewers are being "lazy" for not showing up to watch his streams?

The best part is that he thought he deserved more stream attendance because he was "voice acting", which was literally him just reading all the character dialogue in his normal voice.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Johnny Carson once spoke of the "comedian's disease" where a comedian would stop telling jokes and instead use standup solely to express their political beliefs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Disney has officially severed ties with Pewdiepie after his "Death to All Jews" stunt.

Also surprise surprise, he's super lovely about all his anti-Semitism poo poo.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 14, 2017

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I've not actually been watching him lately but just from the thumbnails and titles of his videos that have been showing up in my reccommend videos from him...is he just trying to see how far he can push what he can say/do/show on a video before advertisers stop giving him money?

I mean i guess he's finally found that point now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think he's trying to get fired. Maybe he gets to keep more of the money if that happens.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I guess when you've got the money and fame the old Pewdz has and you get bored, you just do what the gently caress ever.

Maybe he's trying to get out of the Youtube game and he's picking the most disgraceful method possible so he'll be more quickly forgotten in the public eye. Or maybe he's just simply that dense.

I'm starting to wonder if the Let's Play bubble may pop soon and it becomes more of a niche thing again as some other new thing starts dominating Youtube.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I've not actually been watching him lately but just from the thumbnails and titles of his videos that have been showing up in my reccommend videos from him...is he just trying to see how far he can push what he can say/do/show on a video before advertisers stop giving him money?

I mean i guess he's finally found that point now.

Yeah, one of his titles for an RE7 video says something like "I don't wanna play anymore" with the thumbnail of him crying. Is there something I'm missing about having the dream job and it being some unbearable burden?

Mega64 posted:

I'm starting to wonder if the Let's Play bubble may pop soon and it becomes more of a niche thing again as some other new thing starts dominating Youtube.

Videos titled "oddly satisfying" that usually contain a hot knife cutting through stuff.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

Elsa & Spiderman videos are where the money's at nowadays.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Leal posted:

Yeah, one of his titles for an RE7 video says something like "I don't wanna play anymore" with the thumbnail of him crying. Is there something I'm missing about having the dream job and it being some unbearable burden?

That could also imply that the game he is playing made him so scared he doesn't want to play anymore? That sounds more like him.

Either it's a brilliant cry for help or it's just pandering with the thumbnail like usual.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So who else in PDP contractually obligated to, cause I have to imagine that if he actually wants to get out of Youtubing he's probably going to have to something that even tops "Death to all Jews".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As far as I can tell from some googling, nobody. He has his own Youtube content network. Apparently Revelmode is a subset of Maker Studios so I guess that counts though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Youtube cancelled his YT Red show and removed him from their premium advertising.

"I was trying to make a point about Fiverr!!"

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
He did get Fiverr to actually react to that stunt so he kinda succeeded.
The show was actually associated with Maker Studios so that's a direct result of being removed from there.
Socialblade still lists him at half a million to a million dollars per year and I don't think that'll change. Honestly I doubt there'll be much fallout at all outside of losing behind the scenes contracts, he's too big of a ball to stop rolling now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm sure he'll be very happy with all his new neo-Nazi piece of poo poo fans. What a loving scumbag you are, Felix. "Oh, he's much better now that he's not making rape jokes!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pewds posted this on his tumblr the other day in response to the controversy:

quote:

It came to my attention yesterday that some have been pointing to my videos and saying that I am giving credibility to the anti-Semitic movement, and my fans are part of it as well for watching. I don’t want to cite the sources because I don’t want to give them any more attention.

This originated from a video I made a couple of weeks ago. I was trying to show how crazy the modern world is, specifically some of the services available online. I picked something that seemed absurd to me—That people on Fiverr would say anything for 5 dollars.

I think it’s important to say something and I want to make one thing clear: I am in no way supporting any kind of hateful attitudes.

I make videos for my audience. I think of the content that I create as entertainment, and not a place for any serious political commentary. I know my audience understand that and that is why they come to my channel. Though this was not my intention, I understand that these jokes were ultimately offensive.

As laughable as it is to believe that I might actually endorse these people, to anyone unsure on my standpoint regarding hate-based groups: No, I don’t support these people in any way.

Thanks for reading.

Sorry, pal, not buyin' it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was just a social experiment made with a complete disregard for the social landscape of the world today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
This is fairly interesting considering how many people seem to love the "all Jews must die" joke from one of the mario maker Game Grumps episodes. Is it because Dan actually is a Jew or because they're not as incredibly visible as ol' pewds?

• Locked thread