Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

NNick posted:

There is a Portland city council meeting on Thursday to vote on a emergency measure for mandatory relocation assistance for those who are no cause evicted or have their rent increased by 10%. It requires all 5 council members to vote yes. As someone who have been no-caused evicted and just had a family member receive a notice for a no-caused, anyone who is an ally should call-in.

The measure looks likely to go through but with an amendment to exclude small landlords (3 units or less). Fritz is likely to propose the amendment. There is a question if both conditions are legal.

The measure sunsets in October but we are hopeful that no-cause evictions will be banned statewide by then. More info below and a link to a facebook event.

https://www.facebook.com/events/400969013590442/

Has Saltzman actually expressed any support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Jesse Sponberg is going to turn himself in for knocking out Grant Chisholm at the Portland airport last weekend http://www.wweek.com/news/2017/02/02/activist-and-former-mayoral-candidate-claims-he-knocked-out-trump-counter-protester-at-pdx/

If you're unfamiliar with Jesse Sponberg, he's kind of an infamous protester and he even ran for mayor last year

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2016/02/eight_candidates_stump_in_resu.html posted:

Asked for a way to improve City Hall, candidate Bim Ditson, a musician, said he would completely overhaul the Portland Development Commission.

"I'm somebody who doesn't have all the answers," he added. "I'm not ashamed to say that."

Asked about most anything, candidate Jessie Sponberg pushed the audiences' buttons – ignoring time limits, taking shots at Bailey, dropping curse words and sometimes joking with crowd members.

At one point, after being booed, Sponberg retorted on the topic of global warming: "Dude, I don't care. I'm trying to save this city. I'm trying to save this world."

Among other things, Sarah Iannarone, assistant director of First Stop Portland, said the city should better use data to analyze systemic problems. David Schor, an attorney, said the city needs to tax high-income earners to pay for affordable housing. And Sean Davis, a community college teacher with a folksy delivery, said leaders inside City Hall need to share the same priorities as residents.

"I thought I was running for mayor, not trying to play poker," Davis quipped about big-dollar financial contributions for the mayor's race.

Bailey largely stuck to talking points and highlighted his self-proclaimed grass-roots campaign, which has capped individual campaign contributions to $250.

"We are at a turning point," he said in a frequently recited line. "We need a mayor who will work for everybody."

Wheeler drew his largest applause of the night when he said Portland had misplaced priorities, suggesting more transportation progress could have been made in east Portland if the city spent less on central city streetcar projects.

Wheeler pointed to his work on an east Portland action plan from his time chairing Multnomah County from 2007 to 2010.

"If I'm elected, it comes off the shelf and I'm gonna act," Wheeler said.

anthonypants posted:

it's not like the crust punks will ever vote so he's clearly just doing it for kicks, which is somewhat admirable, but he seems less like a Vermin Supreme and more like the type of person that in a few years we'll learn he's been a sexual predator among groups like occupy

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
gently caress Jesse Sponberg
That is all

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Error 404 posted:

gently caress Jesse Sponberg
That is all

what's his deal? besides trying to grow a cult following obvi

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lazy_Liberal posted:

what's his deal? besides trying to grow a cult following obvi
Do you know any anarchists who are just mad all of the time

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Jesse comes off as a douche in my limited interactions with him, but I love that he's out there doing it. He had a homeless tent city in his backyard, and even challenged the other mayoral candidates to join him for a night with the homeless. I believe Wheeler was the only one who showed up.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Well this is fairly definitive about the slashed tires in Eugene. I kinda thought he might be making it up, but nope, someone legit shanked his tires. Still, don't lay onto an air-horn because a crowd of people is walking around/past you in the street - just let them loving pass.

FYI, the bucket you hear being drummed on in the background was the same "professional protestor" I mentioned seeing earlier. She was leading the march in the earlier videos of this incident which you probably already saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJkl46sOMqE

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Not sure how the vote is going to turn out. I went to the rally but had to go back to work. I am glad Eudaly is in office at least. She is willing to call bullshit.

quote:

EDINGER, complaining his group (MultiFamily NW) wasn't brought to the table: "We can help, you just have to let us. Give us the opportunity."

EUDALY: "You weren't asked to participate and I’ll tel you why: Your organization is among many special interest groups that support the ban on rent control… Your organization has had several years to come up with an alternative." She mentions a recent proposal from the landlord lobby to use state tax credits to give some renters $100 per month. "We have 75,000 people in the City of Portland alone spending more than 50 percent of their income on housing. $100 a month is an insult to those households—mine included. That is why you weren't asked to the table. You weren't willing to participate in a meaningful discussion on the issues."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

anthonypants posted:

Yes y'all do. :colbert:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

anthonypants posted:

it's me :mad:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tenchi Muyo gets me wet posted:

For those that are civic-minded, Ron Wyden & Greg Walden are holding town meetings during the next couple days (Walden's is a call-in town meeting on Monday). Letter writing is nice and calling in is good because calls are tallied, but town halls are great because the direct connection representatives can have with their constituents can lead to faster & more direct action. It's what helped the Tea Party become a thing.
If they ask you to provide your questions beforehand, say you're going to ask a simple question about boring bullshit nobody cares about, like the television show Veep, and then instead ask about a complicated subject instead that appeals to everybody, like capitalism.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 3, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
There are some groups working for cool poo poo here in WA for people interested. I don't have a link, but I've heard talk of ranked choice voting and also a public bank bill thats getting a hearing in Oly.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Doorknob Slobber posted:

There are some groups working for cool poo poo here in WA for people interested. I don't have a link, but I've heard talk of ranked choice voting and also a public bank bill thats getting a hearing in Oly.
I heard there's some people in Eugene who've totally got a lockdown on getting trump kicked out of office - but dude it's late and I am tired and walking home from the bar I heard that poo poo at so y'all need to look it up yourself - if you're interested.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

I heard there's some people in Eugene who've totally got a lockdown on getting trump kicked out of office - but dude it's late and I am tired and walking home from the bar I heard that poo poo at so y'all need to look it up yourself - if you're interested.

oh yea is there a bill in the oregon senate for that? is it getting a hearing people can go to and voice their opinions?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEK8FCBMkMQ&hd=1

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Video is gone. What was it?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I have no idea why they took it down but it was the livestream of State of Washington v. Trump http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/view_video.php?pk_vid=0000010884

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPOFowWqFGU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ranked Choice Voting for WA

Take that, guy who complained I didn't provide a link.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 8, 2017

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

NNick posted:

Not sure how the vote is going to turn out. I went to the rally but had to go back to work. I am glad Eudaly is in office at least. She is willing to call bullshit.

Hoping something good comes out of that and encourages rent control legislation in Seattle. The rent prices are getting ridiculous.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The rent is too drat high... and all the cool progressive legislation not extending to the suburbs of seattle is bullshit

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Apparently some kids at North Bend High School got into a fight over a confederate flag hat, so the district banned the confederate flag

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Good.
That high school also catches Snoqualmie and fall city. The pumpkin patch in fall city is run by a trumper. Also the owner of the building "milk barn" that has the Herfy's in Snoqualmie is one. North Bend is where I saw the milita truck with the Trump flag on inauguration.

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010

BrandorKP posted:

Good.
That high school also catches Snoqualmie and fall city. The pumpkin patch in fall city is run by a trumper. Also the owner of the building "milk barn" that has the Herfy's in Snoqualmie is one. North Bend is where I saw the milita truck with the Trump flag on inauguration.

Not the Milk Barn. Nooo.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Hoekie posted:

Not the Milk Barn. Nooo.

Hey now, only reason I was able to buy in th Seattle area, is because Seattlites think North Bend is somehow five hours away. Seattle times had a piece lumping NB and Che Elum together talking about the "next commuter" towns. It's like they don't realize it's on this side of the pass. Also the downtown out here is pretty blue, according to the maps I've seen.

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
Noooooo #RIPPacky

https://mobile.twitter.com/KATUNews/status/829749871728959488

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010

BrandorKP posted:

Hey now, only reason I was able to buy in th Seattle area, is because Seattlites think North Bend is somehow five hours away. Seattle times had a piece lumping NB and Che Elum together talking about the "next commuter" towns. It's like they don't realize it's on this side of the pass. Also the downtown out here is pretty blue, according to the maps I've seen.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I grew up around that area. I usually stop by there after hiking around Mt. Si or Rattlesnake Ridge.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
There has FINALLY been an update to Michael Strickland's case:

he's been convicted

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

anthonypants posted:

he's been convicted

Huh, that really flew under the radar. Hope he gets a harsh sentence, what with lying about being menaced.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

anthonypants posted:

he's been convicted

the fact that dude had 5 magazines on him is batshit. there's no reason to have 70 rounds on you unless you're in a war zone.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

the escape goat posted:

the fact that dude had 5 magazines on him is batshit. there's no reason to have 70 rounds on you unless you're in a war zone.

or you want to shoot 70 unarmed, peaceful protesters

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

This is a decent debate on rate stabilization in Portland

http://katu.com/news/your-voice-your-vote/your-voice-your-vote-portlands-new-ordinance-requiring-tenant-relocation-assistance

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I'm sure everyone here who donated to my cousin's medical crowd funding did so either anonymously or pseudonymously, but you should know that Milo's swarm is doxxing people whose names are on the donor list.

George fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 15, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
sources besides your rear end, please

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It'd also be real loving cool to like not spread the dude's name if you don't mind? Yeah it's out, but like, sources tied to him request that he not be identified so of you actually give a poo poo maybe you could respect his wishes?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

George posted:

I'm sure everyone here who donated to Josh Dukes's medical crowd funding did so either anonymously or pseudonymously, but you should know that Milo's swarm is doxxing people whose names are on the donor list.

What does this even mean? Should I be afraid someone will find out if I donate money to someone's medical expenses? What possible harm could xome from that?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

sources besides your rear end, please

The page where you can donate to his medical bills is the source:

https://www.crowdrise.com/medical-fundraiser-for-iww-and-gdc-member-shot-in-seattle

quote:

UPDATED: PLEASE DONATE ANONYMOUSLY. ALT-RIGHT TROLLS ARE COLLECTING INFORMATION.

https://www.crowdrise.com/fundraiser/campaign-updates/1173948#!/status/4

There was an article that popped up in my twitter feed a day or two ago that linked to the original alt-right website/tweet that said it was collecting info and called on people to help doxxing, but I can't find it any more unfortunately.

therobit posted:

What does this even mean? Should I be afraid someone will find out if I donate money to someone's medical expenses? What possible harm could xome from that?

The notion is the alt-right gets your information and then threatens to do physical harm to you. The question of whether or not anyone follows through is up in the air.

vv - well there ya go. I've taken every precaution I can think of to not get doxxed by these idiots and hopefully I don't ever end up having to move.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 14, 2017

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I mean, a guy I know who was part of the J20 protest at UW has been getting a lot of death threats and other similar things, and a few others who were part of it have also gotten various kinds of harassment, so it's not like they never follow through.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The page where you can donate to his medical bills is the source:

https://www.crowdrise.com/medical-fundraiser-for-iww-and-gdc-member-shot-in-seattle

https://www.crowdrise.com/fundraiser/campaign-updates/1173948#!/status/4

There was an article that popped up in my twitter feed a day or two ago that linked to the original alt-right website/tweet that said it was collecting info and called on people to help doxxing, but I can't find it any more unfortunately.

The notion is the alt-right gets your information and then threatens to do physical harm to you. The question of whether or not anyone follows through is up in the air.

vv - well there ya go. I've taken every precaution I can think of to not get doxxed by these idiots and hopefully I don't ever end up having to move.
Did you forget that the guy you're talking about was shot, with a gun, and that the shooter has faced literally zero consequences

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

anthonypants posted:

Did you forget that the guy you're talking about was shot, with a gun, and that the shooter has faced literally zero consequences

He is also a current student. To my knowledge, and I have been a fairly close observer of this sequence of events, he has not even faced any administrative penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

anthonypants posted:

Yeah but there is a difference between getting shot at a protest by a guy who went out looking for trouble and someone tracking you down to your home where your wife and kids live and shooting all of you, which to my knowledge, hasn't happened yet. I'm not saying ones not bad, I'm just saying I don't think the alt-right has followed through on any of its specific death threats. (yet)

Mr. Lobe posted:

He is also a current student. To my knowledge, and I have been a fairly close observer of this sequence of events, he has not even faced any administrative penalties.

And this poo poo is extremely hosed up. It wasn't even widely reported in the media, and the little it was reported, it was done in a way that seemed to place blame on the victim. Yet when antifa groups break a windows its the end of the loving world.