Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hey Kos
You had a sweet child, perfect in every way

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There should be a gesture in Bloodborne that, when the giant hand of an Amygdala is coming in for a grab, you can just smack the palm with your own. High-5 the Amygdala. Then she just gives you a thumbs up and gives you an item. :3: Honestly they may not even be intentionally harming you. The eyebeam ones, sure they're on the offensive, but the grabby ones may just want a closer look, all like "Ooh, what are you. Come here, let me get a better look.... oh dear.... poo poo... I had a nice shoebox ready and everything... :("

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

food court bailiff posted:

I really wasn't feeling Bloodborne until I was wandering around in the early game and a giant invisible amygdala tossed me around like a rag doll out of nowhere. I was also pretty drunk at the time and had to immediately do it again to make sure I wasn't losing my mind.

I'm still amazed they kept this poo poo so quiet in the pre-release stuff. When I killed Rom for the first time, my mind basically went :psyboom: at what the game turned into.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
It still bums me out that Bloodborne is a PS4 exclusive with no chance of ever being ported to PC due to Sony's involvement. I really want to play it, but spending $300 on a console to play one game would be ridiculous.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It still bums me out that Bloodborne is a PS4 exclusive with no chance of ever being ported to PC due to Sony's involvement. I really want to play it, but spending $300 on a console to play one game would be ridiculous.

I'm really considering a PS4 just to play Bloodborne, that's how awesome it looks. I loved the Souls series, and Bloodborne looks fantastic as well, if only for the creepy Lovecraft aesthetic.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Still hits a little close to home.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

food court bailiff posted:

I really wasn't feeling Bloodborne until I was wandering around in the early game and a giant invisible amygdala tossed me around like a rag doll out of nowhere. I was also pretty drunk at the time and had to immediately do it again to make sure I wasn't losing my mind.

The 2nd playthrough is where I started to get into it, by the time I was getting done with my first I was getting sick of the game, probably due to the mobs and some awful bosses, on the 2nd playthrough I'm just soaking up the atmosphere.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I'm gonna get one for it and yakuza and p5

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I bought a PS4 specifically for Bloodborne and I don't regret it at all

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think the PS4 has been out long enough to have more than one game worth buying for it, it routinely has the best version of 3rd party games as well.

Its crazy how loaded its been so far, Nioh coming out, Yakuza 0, Yakuza 6 in the future, Persona 5, Tales of berseria, lot of good stuff.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Same. Still basically the only game I own for it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I got mine for Nier Automata. The steam version was announced a month or two later.

Bloodborne though, fantastic atmosphere and visual design. The audio design is fantastic, they make great use of the sounds and voices of their enemies. It's just the one souls game I can't get into the combat of.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
I can't actually finish Dark Souls 3 because I keep getting partway in and then going back to Bloodborne because it's the best game ever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought a Switch just for Zelda. I seriously don't care if there are other games to play.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh Long Johnson posted:

I can't actually finish Dark Souls 3 because I keep getting partway in and then going back to Bloodborne because it's the best game ever.

Dark Souls 3 is a weird middle ground and it feels less good for it. I would rather they have either stuck to more typical soulsey slower more methodical combat, or went whole in on the bloodborne get hosed everything will wreck you combat. Instead everything is hyper aggressive, but the player isn't because the player is still just kind of a chunky dude.

I still dream of a sci-fi souls-borne type of game though.

Inzombiac posted:

I bought a Switch just for Zelda. I seriously don't care if there are other games to play.

I'm holding out for Metroid Prime. I don't care if it's Metroid Prime HD or Metroid Prime: Please Play Our Games Again.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I really liked the combat in Bloodborne because it was the only souls game that didn't feel an order of magnitude easier on subsequent play throughs.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Oh Long Johnson posted:

going back to Bloodborne because it's the best game ever.

Heck yeah it is!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I recently went back to Bloodborne to get the last few achievements, and another thing I noticed is that BB takes it's build makeup serious.

In DS3, building up your character, even for a specific weapon, often doesn't lock you out of a bunch of stuff. There's always alternatives. But the limited set of Bloodborne doesn't give you that, but instead makes your build super good. I cleared Old Hunters with a Beast Claw/Beast Cutter build that I planned out and set to, and holy poo poo the game is different. It took me two tries to beat Maria, and only about 5-6 for Orphan, because I worked out how to build myself. Whereas in my first playthrough I struggled with my Arcane/Str build.

What I am saying is that Bloodborne is great and I want that sequel, drat it.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

My favourite part of Bloodborne is that they cut out all the fat with weapons and really made it just a choice of archetype, as opposed to four different versions of daggers, six longswords, etc. that Dark Souls is plagued with. (Nearly) every weapon is easily distinguished with a very clear differing moveset. Only exception I can really think of is the saw cleaver and spear, but still. One out of the 15(x2! Transformation!!)~ weapons ain't bad.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Bloodborne really is the best souls game, and the threaded cane is my favorite weapon in any of those games.

I need to go do another playthrough now thanks to this thread

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I like how different builds for your Hunter in Bloodborne correspond to different Hunter guilds in the universe.

Also, how armor weighs nothing, and is so weak in general that Fashionborne is the easiest out of all the Souls games.

Chikage and Bowblade for life.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

pulp rag posted:

Chikage and Bowblade for life.

Thats an odd way to say Evelynn and Reiterpallasch.

Also, nthing the buying a PS4 for BB and not regretting it for a second.

Well that and TLG, now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

J.A.B.C. posted:

I recently went back to Bloodborne to get the last few achievements, and another thing I noticed is that BB takes it's build makeup serious.

In DS3, building up your character, even for a specific weapon, often doesn't lock you out of a bunch of stuff. There's always alternatives. But the limited set of Bloodborne doesn't give you that, but instead makes your build super good. I cleared Old Hunters with a Beast Claw/Beast Cutter build that I planned out and set to, and holy poo poo the game is different. It took me two tries to beat Maria, and only about 5-6 for Orphan, because I worked out how to build myself. Whereas in my first playthrough I struggled with my Arcane/Str build.

What I am saying is that Bloodborne is great and I want that sequel, drat it.

I like and hate it, because some cool choices are actually really poo poo. Like from what I remember, using the magic equivalents in Bloodborne is even worse than trying to use magic in dark souls. Meanwhile way too many of the weapons are locked behind either obscure ways to find them, or just gated until like 2/3rds through the game so unless you really want to do NG+, planning to build around a specific weapon just tends to be a lot less fun than it is in Dark Souls where if you want to be a big sword guy, there's big swords all over the drat place. Want to punch people? Grab a cestus from the first merchant. Sure there are way less unique and cool weapons, but it's easy to just decide what you want to do and do it. In bloodborn if you want to use a specific weapon, have fun using weapons you don't like, and possibly even hate until you finally get the one you want to use. That's probably why I didn't like the combat as much, to be honest. I just really didn't like the first few weapons you got. The transforming gimmick is cool, but I had a very specific build in mind and having to spend longer than I wanted using weapons I didn't like wasn't a whole lot of fun.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I just started playing Alpha Protocol. I got it on the xmas Steam sale because of all the hype it gets here.

I guess saying I like it for the dialogue is kind of like saying I liked Jurassic Park for the dinosaurs, but it's a lot of fun. Coming from Dragon Age 2, I love that when I pick the 'Suave' option, it's often subtle and usually appropriate. in DA2, if you picked the irreverent option, Hawke - every time - would cock up one eyebrow and make a joke that felt completely out of place.

I just saved myself a trip to the 'dragging games down' thread, I guess.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Oh Long Johnson posted:

/Reddit voice WELL ACTUALLY, THE WITCHER 3

Content: Having moved on to later installments in the Ace Attorney series, I really appreciate how the repackaged original trilogy lets you speed up text. I just wish I could do that in the later games on the first time some text comes up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I still haven't played Bloodborne because I don't have a PS4, but on a slightly related note I would like to mention an interpretation of the Lords of Cinder in Dark Souls 3 that might not have been intended, but holds through fairly well, and incorporates a lot of little things about their designs: they all represent different games in the Souls series.

The Abyss Watchers are pretty blatantly Bloodborne references anyway, with deliberately Hunter-esque armor and the whole concept of them having gone mad from dealing with the Abyss so long. They're also a very aggressive boss, reflecting how Bloodborne is itself a more aggressive game.

Aldrich is, both in story and in mechanics, literally an amalgamation of Dark Souls 1 bosses. Gwyndolin's influence is obvious, but he's also got moves comparable to Seath and Nito, and on top of taking over their arena his boss music also incorporates Smough and Ornstein's.

Yhorm the Giant is a Dark Souls 2 giant visually, and his backstory does seem to place him as one of them too; notable, given most of the game is reluctant to admit DS2's existence. He's apparently also a reference to a Demon's Souls boss; I haven't played Demon's Souls, but that sounds legit.

That puts the Twin Princes--or more accurately, Lothric--as Dark Souls 3. Lothric is literally on the shoulders of his older brother, and the Twin Princes fight is actually completely unlike any other boss in the series, which is striking given how DS3 and the Souls series in general is happy to reference itself. It's admittedly not as clear as the others, but if DS3 had a distinct identity it would be Lothric.

If you want to stretch it further, the Soul of Cinder is the merging and culmination of every past Lord of Cinder... making it the player themselves, evidenced by the fact that his entire combat style is composed of builds the player can actually use. Dark Souls 3 is the only time the cover art of a (non-special-edition) Souls game wasn't of a player avatar, instead being the Soul of Cinder.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea there's lots of BB influences in DS3, hell some enemies look like they where straight up unused in BB and just slapped into Dark Souls, there's even one that looks like he has messengers on his back.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Captain Lavender posted:

I just started playing Alpha Protocol. I got it on the xmas Steam sale because of all the hype it gets here.

I guess saying I like it for the dialogue is kind of like saying I liked Jurassic Park for the dinosaurs, but it's a lot of fun. Coming from Dragon Age 2, I love that when I pick the 'Suave' option, it's often subtle and usually appropriate. in DA2, if you picked the irreverent option, Hawke - every time - would cock up one eyebrow and make a joke that felt completely out of place.

Alpha Protocol is always called the game made for the little things thread, and rightfully so. When it comes to games that give you dialogue trees but don't actually show you exactly what you are going to say, I feel it's the only one that never annoyed me by making the response completely different. It's also one of the only games I can play through repeatedly and answer just how I feel in the moment, and yet it seems to change the game immensely every time, which I find amazing.

It's been about 6 months since I last played through it, it may be time for another.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I still haven't played Bloodborne because I don't have a PS4, but on a slightly related note I would like to mention an interpretation of the Lords of Cinder in Dark Souls 3 that might not have been intended, but holds through fairly well, and incorporates a lot of little things about their designs: they all represent different games in the Souls series.

The Abyss Watchers are pretty blatantly Bloodborne references anyway, with deliberately Hunter-esque armor and the whole concept of them having gone mad from dealing with the Abyss so long. They're also a very aggressive boss, reflecting how Bloodborne is itself a more aggressive game.

Aldrich is, both in story and in mechanics, literally an amalgamation of Dark Souls 1 bosses. Gwyndolin's influence is obvious, but he's also got moves comparable to Seath and Nito, and on top of taking over their arena his boss music also incorporates Smough and Ornstein's.

Yhorm the Giant is a Dark Souls 2 giant visually, and his backstory does seem to place him as one of them too; notable, given most of the game is reluctant to admit DS2's existence. He's apparently also a reference to a Demon's Souls boss; I haven't played Demon's Souls, but that sounds legit.

That puts the Twin Princes--or more accurately, Lothric--as Dark Souls 3. Lothric is literally on the shoulders of his older brother, and the Twin Princes fight is actually completely unlike any other boss in the series, which is striking given how DS3 and the Souls series in general is happy to reference itself. It's admittedly not as clear as the others, but if DS3 had a distinct identity it would be Lothric.

If you want to stretch it further, the Soul of Cinder is the merging and culmination of every past Lord of Cinder... making it the player themselves, evidenced by the fact that his entire combat style is composed of builds the player can actually use. Dark Souls 3 is the only time the cover art of a (non-special-edition) Souls game wasn't of a player avatar, instead being the Soul of Cinder.

Also the second phase of the final boss fight is literally Gwyn from DS1.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Captain Lavender posted:

i got it last year and it's so good at responding to your actions in the game. working with your handlers offers you perks and so does butting heads with them. acting discreet or going in hot determines who likes you more based on their character.

and i really like how the level design works with the game's structure. the paths are pretty simple for a stealth game, but it's more effort than i would expect from a game that's pretty much Mass Effect but with spies.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Cleretic posted:

I don't really know how you feel this rather than Artorias from that fight.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Captain Lavender posted:

A small touch I always love is that using "suave" on women from the start will make them think you're a creepy dickhead, but if you get to know them first they'll understand your dumb jokes and won't be offended. :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

They have similar garb and are very aggressive. I felt the same way in that fight: a loose collective of fools grounded in a ideology that should be left far alone.

Also I don't think they have shields? Which is meh on first glance but lends to the comparison, since Bloodborne is one large game of people throwing themselves in the same grave that Artorias dug for himself

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Alpha Protocol is always called the game made for the little things thread, and rightfully so. When it comes to games that give you dialogue trees but don't actually show you exactly what you are going to say, I feel it's the only one that never annoyed me by making the response completely different. It's also one of the only games I can play through repeatedly and answer just how I feel in the moment, and yet it seems to change the game immensely every time, which I find amazing.

It's been about 6 months since I last played through it, it may be time for another.

my issue with the limited dialogue trees was that different backgrounds offered some unique dialogue choices but they wouldn't really explain the tone of the response. recruit makes thorton sound like he's recovering from head trauma and veteran just makes him sound like a bored dick.

and i was bagging on the game's armor before looking like biker gear, but i love it now that i realized giving thorton a beanie with stealth armor makes him look like Mumen Rider

it's both, really.

Cleretic posted:

the gimmick to Yhorm's fight is similar to one in Demon's Souls, and in fact uses the same weapon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tENmFe09bOE&t=169s

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 10:40 on Feb 3, 2017

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Artorias and Sif form the base of their lore, but phase two did remind me of Lady Maria, who also gains a lot more range and lingering effects from swings as the fight progresses.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My favorite part in any RPG is changing the subject in a serious conversation. In the Witcher 3 a quartermaster of an invading army asked to me to investigate what happened to a missing patrol. I found their bodies and killed the Wyvern that had claimed them. I also found another set of bodies, northerners who had been executed in the back of the woods. I returned to the quartermaster and told him that I killed the monster that had killed the patrol, and that the patrol was really a death-squad tasked with removing northern prisoners. The man offered me my pay for my help and my silence, and I threw it his face. He then said we had nothing more to talk about and ended the conversation. I then spoke to him again and asked if he wanted to play a collectible-card game. He said yes.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
It is canonical that Destiny's Guardians behave exactly as we do ingame. I've finished my quest to obtain every dead Ghost in the game, and one contained a fragment of an intel report generated by the Cabal, an Imperium of Man-style huge people in huge armor military force occupying (among other places) Mars. This is an after-action report for an ingame event which requires a fireteam of three players.

Skyburner V Cohort Strategic Intelligence Analyst posted:

Blind Legion I Cohort/Century 3/Maniple 3
5 Squad [HEAVY INF]
TASK:
- defend Psion intelligence ops 071x146
OUTCOME:
- overwhelmed by Guardian fireteam/Vex pressure. few survivors. survivors reported Guardians foraging for equipment, dancing, and performing acrobatics with light vehicles.

Guardians: We will kick your poo poo in, stomp both you and your enemies into powder on the battlefield, then loot your corpses and dance through their remains while doing speeder-bike tricks for giggles.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I want so bad for Geralt to go, "IT'S TIME TO DU-DU-DU-DU-D-D-D-D-D-D-DUEL!!!!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Exit Strategy posted:

It is canonical that Destiny's Guardians behave exactly as we do ingame. I've finished my quest to obtain every dead Ghost in the game, and one contained a fragment of an intel report generated by the Cabal, an Imperium of Man-style huge people in huge armor military force occupying (among other places) Mars. This is an after-action report for an ingame event which requires a fireteam of three players.

Guardians: We will kick your poo poo in, stomp both you and your enemies into powder on the battlefield, then loot your corpses and dance through their remains while doing speeder-bike tricks for giggles.

I don't play Destiny, but I can't help but assume Guardians (in general principle) turn up blaring rock music and flipping their hover bikes of the nearest outcropping for sick tricks, to the growing fear and despair of their targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Exit Strategy posted:

I've mentioned this before, but the reason for Destiny's PVP arenas is someone offering rewards to fight each other other in specific areas, solely for the purpose of keeping Guardians in one place long enough to defend it. He's annoyed because they disappear to go looking for trinkets elsewhere if not distracted. :haw: