Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'd like to recommend Iron Chitlin's Grimrock 2 LP, if only for the chance to watch all his co-commentators' blood pressure rise. Come for the dungeon crawling, stay to see who goes Super Saiyan first!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804072

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'd like to recommend Iron Chitlin's Grimrock 2 LP, if only for the chance to watch all his co-commentators' blood pressure rise. Come for the dungeon crawling, stay to see who goes Super Saiyan first!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804072

I love watching him explain himself retroactively.

"I need to use that key to open the door, but at this point I don't realise I have it so I go looking for it" :allears:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Herr Tog posted:

Does anyone remember that Let's Play of the Falkland's Islands in the 80's in a board game? That was such a good loving game and LP.
Where There is Discord? I remember there being an LP of that but can't find the thread right now.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Where There is Discord? I remember there being an LP of that but can't find the thread right now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571331

Just happened around the time master list updates got spotty for a while

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Polsy posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571331

Just happened around the time master list updates got spotty for a while

thank you and now to consider archives...

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
archives are the only forum upgrade I've bought and I feel like it's been well worth it for LP threads alone

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

thank you and now to consider archives...
Do it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Go read Gond

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Listen to this mouse.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

This is a pro rec. Thanks!

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I'm looking for an LP of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. No goons seem to have started one yet, is it awful or something?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I think everyone's waiting for the (obviously coming) expansion pack that actually gives the drat thing an ending. I've so far heard it's"What if we made the Detroid hub the entire game" and is really good but criminally short for a Deus Ex.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think everyone's waiting for the (obviously coming) expansion pack that actually gives the drat thing an ending. I've so far heard it's"What if we made the Detroid hub the entire game" (1) and is really good but criminally short (2) for a Deus Ex.

1) Nah, not really
2) It felt about as long as Human Revolution, actually

However, the point about the lack of ending is correct. The game feels like it ends about 3/4 of the way into the storyline

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Make an LP where the viewers write their own endings, then vote on them, then some crazy idiot with photoshop/paint mocks up an SSLP episode with that ending out of the game's regular screenshots.
It will still be better than ME3 extended cut.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SelenicMartian posted:

Make an LP where the viewers write their own endings, then vote on them, then some crazy idiot with photoshop/paint mocks up an SSLP episode with that ending out of the game's regular screenshots.
It will still be better than ME3 extended cut.

Lazyfire did something kinda similar where FEAR 2 had a background detail that was unexplained and so he got the thread to write up fake Wikia articles and the like in order to give it its own story. It was really fun!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
This is a bit of an odd request, but I'm looking for a specific LP that I've heard mentioned on SA and seen one gif from but never actually been able to find. It's a Dark Souls 1 run with an older guy who has zero gaming experience doing absolutely terribly, doing things like forgetting he has a light attack button for multiple videos in a row, but has a great attitude about it and somehow actually finishes the game. The single moment I saw was the guy saying something like "It's time to start Dark Souls Graduate School" right before getting instantly killed by the pre-Darkroot Titanite Demon and laughing hysterically.

Did I hallucinate this, or is it an actual thing? And is it worth watching?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

ProfessorProf posted:

Did I hallucinate this, or is it an actual thing? And is it worth watching?

It is an actual thing! That's from Jeff Green's stream (link to YT playlist). I remember that moment you were thinking of, but "older guy who's absolutely terrible" narrowed it down a bit. :sweatdrop: As to whether it's worth it, he's normally pretty upbeat but has long stretches of getting frustrated with it, and I bailed out after one of those. If you want to watch somebody ham it up a bit and feel better about your own Dark Skills, though....

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Wayne posted:

It is an actual thing! That's from Jeff Green's stream (link to YT playlist). I remember that moment you were thinking of, but "older guy who's absolutely terrible" narrowed it down a bit. :sweatdrop: As to whether it's worth it, he's normally pretty upbeat but has long stretches of getting frustrated with it, and I bailed out after one of those. If you want to watch somebody ham it up a bit and feel better about your own Dark Skills, though....

Thank you!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Can anyone recommend a good YT channel specializing in PS1/2-era RPGs? I'm looking for something, preferably as non-annoying as possible, that I can put on in the background while working where, at the very least, they don't read out everything in silly voices. Being halfway competent at the games they play is a bonus.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Any good Dishonored 2 LPs? Preferably from someone who knows what they are doing.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The LParchive only seems to have an LP of the original Cave Story. Could anyone recommend a good completionist LP of Cave Story + ?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

The LParchive only seems to have an LP of the original Cave Story. Could anyone recommend a good completionist LP of Cave Story + ?

It's the exact same game but with higher-res graphics and an optional hard mode (that does nothing except remove all health upgrades).

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The Pillars of Eternity 2 kickstarter made me want to find a playhtrough of the first one to have on in the background. Ideally not blind, minimal gushing about lore (can we, as a species, ban that word yet?) and playing on Path of the Damned.

I started on the first episode of two playlists, and both insisted on reading all on screen text in funny voices. Are there any that won't drive me to murder?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Xerophyte posted:

The Pillars of Eternity 2 kickstarter made me want to find a playhtrough of the first one to have on in the background. Ideally not blind, minimal gushing about lore (can we, as a species, ban that word yet?) and playing on Path of the Damned.

I started on the first episode of two playlists, and both insisted on reading all on screen text in funny voices. Are there any that won't drive me to murder?

Wait a minute - what does Pillars of Eternity offer if you're not into the lore?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait a minute - what does Pillars of Eternity offer if you're not into the lore?

I found the plot and setting fun enough to experience first hand. "Lore" in youtube videos tends to translate to "lengthy exposition about the setting's minutiae, plus pet theories about said minutiae", which I generally find a lot less fun to experience first hand.

In this case I've already played the game so it's not like the plot is news, and actively following a Pillars video LP to read along with the dialogue sounds kinda terrible. I'm mostly looking for background noise to refresh my memory, see some of the alternative outcomes and see the good fights on a higher difficulty.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
has someone done a paradox megacampaign as Ireland?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Wanna drop a recommendation for Riviera: The Promised Land, simply on account of how loving funny it is. The author re-writes all the dialogue, and they hold no punches when it comes to mocking the game's stupid design decisions, and they're good at it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Dancer posted:

Wanna drop a recommendation for Riviera: The Promised Land, simply on account of how loving funny it is. The author re-writes all the dialogue, and they hold no punches when it comes to mocking the game's stupid design decisions, and they're good at it.

If you liked that one, I'd also recommend Avalon Code and Gazillionare Deluxe from the same LPer.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

senrath posted:

If you liked that one, I'd also recommend Avalon Code and Gazillionare Deluxe from the same LPer.
Seconding these. I hope he make more LP.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

senrath posted:

Avalon Code especially manages to make a game that is terrible actually have some fantastic story beats with writing that is both heartwarming and hilarious, but then he shows the actual game's dialogue and its just trash. I remember reading it for the first time thinking it was a lost classic, that's how good Didja Redo's writing is.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dancer posted:

The author re-writes all the dialogue, and they hold no punches when it comes to mocking the game's stupid design decisions, and they're good at it.
The usual reaction to his LPs is ":aaa: Didja redo the whole thing!?"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any good Hitman LP's? Preferably of the first and 2nd game (I bought the latest one, and wanted to catch up.)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Pierzak posted:

The usual reaction to his LPs is ":aaa: Didja redo the whole thing!?"

I still refuse to believe that Gazillonaire is a real game, and the entire LP isn't an elaborate prank.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

I still refuse to believe that Gazillonaire is a real game, and the entire LP isn't an elaborate prank.
It's both :ssh:

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

senrath posted:

Don't forget, he also LPed Final Fight.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Zandar posted:

Don't forget, he also LPed Final Fight.

Even if you don't care about Final Fight, watch this. Yes, you.

Do it.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Xerophyte posted:

I know this was asked a few days ago, but this guys I follow (from SuperBestFriendsPlay) started streaming a playthrough of the game a week ago.

He hasn't completely beaten the game, but did the first half of the game on a bunch of characters beforehand. Seems interested in doing more later on, also. I like his commentary enough, too. He goes through his builds and the game's mechanics, as he mapped out how his main party is going to be. It takes a while to get going, as does every PoE playthrough does, but he does his best to make it interesting.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Pierzak posted:

It's both :ssh:

Yup. Gazillionare Deluxe is a real game, but it's barely more than a spreadsheet with some formulas in it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
my wife hates playing scary games but loves watching them. any recommendations for subtitled horror-ish games (she doesn't like people talking over stuff very much)? we've already watched Bioshock, SOMA, and Outlast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

my wife hates playing scary games but loves watching them. any recommendations for subtitled horror-ish games (she doesn't like people talking over stuff very much)? we've already watched Bioshock, SOMA, and Outlast

Which version of Outlast did you watch? Because if you've already watched DumbRodent's, then I would also recommend checking out Expresso Stempunk's run through Outlast too. He did a really good LP of it with his father (Schecky) as his co-commentator, with the added bonus of it being more than just a simple LP of a horror game on the surface.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 5, 2017