Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luminaflare posted:

I've got to say, the updates on your Battlecarrier and other ships are pretty much my favourite part of this thread.

YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE HELLISH CACOPHANY OF 50+ CANNONS FIRING CONTINUOUSLY OVER EACH OTHER!

The Battlecarrier's pretty much my fuckaround project ship, and inside it's really got a whole lot unfinished. The CiC displays currently show nothing (though the holographic radar is an excellent tacticool mod, I highly recommend it), the hallways are very space-OSHA violating with no lights yet and I suspect they'd frown upon the M61-Vulcan turrets placed for compartmentalized anti-intruder firepower, and there are only two sets of bathrooms in the entire 300-odd-meter-long, ten-deck, ship.

I also had a pair of empty rooms left with nothing functional to put in them, so now the ship has a 14-meter firing range onboard :v:. The decoys aren't actually on, of course, they just make neat-looking targets. The room on the opposite side's gonna be a gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

there are only two sets of bathrooms in the entire 300-odd-meter-long, ten-deck, ship.

Don't be fooled by the name, the cryo chambers are actually the toilets, that is why you can stay there forever.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.
It's Sunday and I don't see sleep in sight and I've had a project in mind for a while. I haven't seen one on the Workshop either so I've no basis for comparison. I need some advice Goons.

The U.S.S. Cygnus. I love this ship. I dream about this ship. Really everything about The Black Hole was great, but especially the Cygnus. I feel like it would feel well with the setting, the ship wasn't ridiculously large like a Starfleet ship.

How many blocks do you guys think would get near the length of it? I can't find any hard data about the supposed metrics of the ship so any input would be hugely appreciated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a nasty bug in this week's Dev build, where turrets will target something, fire, and then lock Shoot to On and keep setting it to On. This means they will constantly fire in the direction they've locked, and you'll never stop them without turning the turret off. Guess how I discovered this bug?

Go on, take a wild swing at it if you're not sure.

Also small-ship merge blocks are still broken :confuoot:.

NurhacisUrn posted:

It's Sunday and I don't see sleep in sight and I've had a project in mind for a while. I haven't seen one on the Workshop either so I've no basis for comparison. I need some advice Goons.

The U.S.S. Cygnus. I love this ship. I dream about this ship. Really everything about The Black Hole was great, but especially the Cygnus. I feel like it would feel well with the setting, the ship wasn't ridiculously large like a Starfleet ship.

How many blocks do you guys think would get near the length of it? I can't find any hard data about the supposed metrics of the ship so any input would be hugely appreciated.

Past about 100-150-odd blocks long is when you're gonna start getting into the "runs like molasses" territory once it's all finished, depending on how good of a PC you have.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you model each one of those windows at 1 block wide you're looking at at least 100-120 blocks long I think.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Can anyone tell me why this ship I made, but not the 5000 block battlecruiser I just got off the workshop, takes 20 goddamn minutes to load? Is it the two projectors with "Keep Projection" on? Is it the airtightness? Is it gravity fields? Is it the unnecessarily fancy LCD HUD? I've even turned all of those things off, and copy/pasting still takes 10 minutes at least. It's not even 2000 blocks! Now, if I want to load this ship into the game, I can finish a few levels of Enter the Gungeon without even missing a beat.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It might actually be the projectors, try pasting the ship without any blueprints in the projectors or without projectors at all. Projectors with blueprints are known to mess up ship pasting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Can anyone tell me why this ship I made, but not the 5000 block battlecruiser I just got off the workshop, takes 20 goddamn minutes to load? Is it the two projectors with "Keep Projection" on? Is it the airtightness? Is it gravity fields? Is it the unnecessarily fancy LCD HUD? I've even turned all of those things off, and copy/pasting still takes 10 minutes at least. It's not even 2000 blocks! Now, if I want to load this ship into the game, I can finish a few levels of Enter the Gungeon without even missing a beat.

Is one or both of those projectors a self-repair job that holds the blueprint of the ship? Because I'll bet good money you've slapped a repair blueprint in with one or both projectors in the blueprint holding the same pattern and that poo poo gets recursive. Make a second copy of the ship without anything in the projectors and use that version as your repair blueprint.

edit: Finally got the goddamn thing to load and I was right, it's blueprint recursion. In two projectors, no less, for double the fun. I'm guessing you just loaded the existing saved blueprint into the ship, again and again as you fixed or updated it, never realizing that each instance of that blueprint already carries the previous instance as its own repair blueprints.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 1, 2017

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is one or both of those projectors a self-repair job that holds the blueprint of the ship? Because I'll bet good money you've slapped a repair blueprint in with one or both projectors in the blueprint holding the same pattern and that poo poo gets recursive. Make a second copy of the ship without anything in the projectors and use that version as your repair blueprint.

edit: Finally got the goddamn thing to load and I was right, it's blueprint recursion. In two projectors, no less, for double the fun. I'm guessing you just loaded the existing saved blueprint into the ship, again and again as you fixed or updated it, never realizing that each instance of that blueprint already carries the previous instance as its own repair blueprints.

Yeah, you're totally right. I'll go fix it. Thanks, dude.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah, you're totally right. I'll go fix it. Thanks, dude.

You also might want to disable "attack neutrals" on your turrets. Your ship took a swing at my Dreadnought and dinged the hull before I disabled the Nebula's turrets.

I had little choice but to allow retaliation.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Just be glad I decided not to finish adding modded sensors to automatically fire on anything in front of my rocket launchers.

EDIT: Actually, that makes me wonder if I'll be able to program automatic targeting when the AI update comes out. Preferably one that understands what a tangent is.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 1, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Stable Build gets brought up to 1.172 today, and the hip cool dudes on the Dev Build get a shiny new skybox, the window models that have been missing since the game first came out, and they resolved players clipping through Pistons.

Be aware that goddamn turret bug is still present, and small-ship merge blocks are still broken. And now in the Stable build too :bravo:.

Stable v1.172 posted:

Summary
Stable (Default) branch on Steam has been updated to build 01.172.
Also don't forget there is a Space Engineers Deluxe Edition Bundle now: http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2329/
Enjoy!

Features
- Physics engine improvements
- Voxel performance optimizations
- More Render Improvements
- Drone AI improvements (weapons handling, ambush behavior)
- Added updated icons for Automatic Rifle, Welder, Grinder and Drill
- Updated Block/Component models + icons
- Added new Skybox
- Programmable Block Inter-Grid Communication; Guide: http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/programmable-block-inter-grid-communication-guide.7392031/
- Small Turrets collisions changed (thanks to SEModder4 )
- ModAPI and Programmable Block changes (massive thanks to Inflex, Elfi Wolfe, Phoenix84 and Malware; go to our Modding section for more details)

Fixes
- fixed Large Grid Large Reactor had faulty conveyor doors
- fixed GPS serialization, cut scenes in MP, Highlights in MP in Visual Scripting
- fixed issue with small landing gear missing dummies
- fixed issue with faulty mount points on small conveyors
- fixed issues with campaign missions and being able to complete them
- fixed off setting of astronaut when using jet pack animation
- fixed issues with the Silicon voxel texture
- fixed issues with the RocksDesert voxel texture
- minor redesign to the Spotlight block
- added MATERIALS in Mod SDK to fix pink texture issues for modders
- fixed Mag boots/Auto-jetpack activation issues
- fixed flares appearing on the same position when pasting the ship
- fixed Landing Gear model size
- fixed Conveyor door on Large Reactor
- fixed missing texture on Window 1x2 Side Left
- fixed Merge block mountpoints
- fixed character grinding animation
- fixed clang with camera
- fixed wrong armor deformations
- fixed remote control/camera POV issues
- fixed FOV resetting when using Interior Turret
- fixed issues with pistons extending pistons while the world is reloading
- fixed default settings for Empty World and Rival Platforms scenarios
- fixed Corner light and Interior light not giving up any light
- fixed Gamepad control issues
- fixed Interior turret shooting through door
- fixed asteroids settings for Empty world scenario
- fixed Corner LCD 2 rotating issues
- fixed Small Conveyor Tubes being aligned wrong during building
- fixed Merge Block not working within the same grid
- fixed issues with merge blocks and flares
- fixed odd Sabiroid behavior
- fixed Hydrogen Thruster issues with resource sink
- fixed changing cockpit color (pink interior)
- fixed loading of custom worlds screens
- fixed G screen (Small Conveyor Tube, Small Conveyor, Small Curved Conveyor Tube)
- fixed wrong gyroscope color
- fixed Interior Block rotation
- fixed emmisivity for Sliding Door
- fixed accessing control panel when conveyor is attached
- fixed issue with corrupted world when saving in 3rd person camera
- fixed issue with timer block not saving its settings when built from projection
- corrected air-tight properties for merge block, timer block and oxygen generator
- added message indicating selected block not available for a grid size
- added an email option to the crash message window
- updated construction models for small grid armor blocks
- minor material change for Gravity Generator
- fixed AI drones shooting without target in line of sight
- fixed not being able to use cockpit for small grid from the front
- fixed climbing invisible stairs when jumping outside of gravity well
- fixed LCD Panel Text losing Glow when recoloring Panel
- fixed refactor pilot attaching to cockpit
- fixed Voxel Hand and Teleportation security for server side
- fixed Visual Scripting Campaign issues
- fixed being able to use handbrake while not in main cockpit
- fixed faulty small air vent construction model
- fixed purple textures on catwalk construction model and refinery
- fixed issue people being unable to alt-tab when in fullscreen or fullscreen window

DEV v1.173 posted:

Summary
This week’s update comes with a new Skybox for the game along with other improvements. The skybox has a 4k resolution and features spectacular nebulae and many stars. Let us know your thoughts on the new skybox in the comments below. We also added some missing inverted window variants, this includes 1x1 and 2x1 inverted diagonals. You may have noticed it already, but there’s also a new model for the assembler!
Block model LODs have been getting tweaked this week which should make the transitions more natural. Dead characters, wolves and sabiroids can now be looted again in survival and we resolved issues with players being able to clip through extended pistons.
Work on the new HUD is progressing steadily with programmers beginning implementation this week but most of our resources are still going into improving physics, performance and multiplayer sync. Meanwhile, artists are continuing to work on updates and tweaks for the new models.

Lastly, there’s an update for the STABLE branch today which contains features like voxel performance optimizations, physics engine and render improvements and updated block/component models + icons, taking it to version 1.172. On top of this, the new skybox will also be going to stable today: http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/7392498

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQH4EYbelDk

Features

- Added new Skybox

Fixes
- missing windows added to the game
- fixed floating objects velocity and falling through floor issues
- fixed clipping through piston
- fixed purple cockpit screens
- LOD tweaks for Diagonal and Vertical Window, Solar Panel, Battery and Large Reactor
- fixed overly large radius for Ship Welder
- fixed Corner tip building stage
- fixed issues with looting dead bodies
- fixed Medical Room physics issues
- fixed Suspensions Wheel control panel remaining grayed out
- fixed wrong bullet hole decals on blocks near windows
- fixed ugly grinding particles when grinding inside a moving/falling ship
- fixed particle effect of meteors explosion

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 3, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

How do I bypass this nonsense? I am not updating to the latest version since (1) I've heard they cause java apps (minecraft etc) to crash, and (2) my philosophy regarding gpu drivers is: don't update if the current ones are working fine for 99% of my games, since I've had problems in the past doing random driver updates.

e. Ok, nvm. It appears the nonsense can be bypassed by either clicking cancel or the X. Why it closes the game when I click OK is beyond me.

VVVV Uh, 368.69

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 3, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ambaire posted:

How do I bypass this nonsense? I am not updating to the latest version since (1) I've heard they cause java apps (minecraft etc) to crash, and (2) my philosophy regarding gpu drivers is: don't update if the current ones are working fine for 99% of my games, since I've had problems in the past doing random driver updates.

A quick google shows that that issue was an unexpected accident and they released a second update to fix the issue. Update your drivers.

What driver version are you even running, anyway?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ambaire posted:

e. Ok, nvm. It appears the nonsense can be bypassed by either clicking cancel or the X. Why it closes the game when I click OK is beyond me.

VVVV Uh, 368.69

Please keep your drivers updated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Good news; The turret bug is fixed in both the Stable and Dev Builds.

Bad news; Small-ship merge blocks still aren't :confuoot:

quote:

Hotfixes:

- fixed issue with camera not being able to look around in 3rd person view/1st person view
- fixed issue where turrets would keep shooting after auto locking on target and destroying it
- fixed issue where promoting someone required the person to reconnect so that he may used his new rights.
- fixed desync issue with the "can use all terminals" admin tool
- fixed crash at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyPlanet.BeforeDelete
- fixed crash at at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyShipController.UpdateShipInfo10

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
I want to interact with the world only via drones. I built myself a cube with a cockpit, assembler, cyro pod, med bay, reactor (for backup), and oxygen tank. I want to keep the amount of parts to a minimum, for the interior. The exterior is a bit different. Four sides have a single tube junction each, and the remaining two opposite sides are made only of junctions so that it's plug and play. My problem is oxygen farms. One on each side, except the two special sides having two. When I get into the cockpit, the oxygen tank drains. Yet once depleted, my engineer's oxygen level remains at a solid 100%.

My goal is the lowest power draw possible, to support the engineer, enough power to run an at max range, enough power to charge up my starting drone. So through all my rambling, any suggestions?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't believe oxy farms actually refill tanks, I've stuck loads on my ship and it never refills the main tanks from them.

Alternatively the game is trying to flush all the fart gas and BO out of your space-gooncave and is using all the oxygen to do so.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 6, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Encounter posted:

I want to interact with the world only via drones. I built myself a cube with a cockpit, assembler, cyro pod, med bay, reactor (for backup), and oxygen tank. I want to keep the amount of parts to a minimum, for the interior. The exterior is a bit different. Four sides have a single tube junction each, and the remaining two opposite sides are made only of junctions so that it's plug and play. My problem is oxygen farms. One on each side, except the two special sides having two. When I get into the cockpit, the oxygen tank drains. Yet once depleted, my engineer's oxygen level remains at a solid 100%.

My goal is the lowest power draw possible, to support the engineer, enough power to run an at max range, enough power to charge up my starting drone. So through all my rambling, any suggestions?

Learn how to use laser antennae, and put together some kind of relay satellite you can distribute en-masse. Otherwise you're going to have a very small sphere of influence for your drones.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

OwlFancier posted:

I don't believe oxy farms actually refill tanks, I've stuck loads on my ship and it never refills the main tanks from them.

Alternatively the game is trying to flush all the fart gas and BO out of your space-gooncave and is using all the oxygen to do so.

I think they can fill rooms though, can't they? Maybe set a tank to stockpile, use oxy farms to fill a room, then use another vent to depressurize the room and suck it up?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Oxygen Farms fill Oxygen Tanks very very slowly--there's a reason the Oxygen Tanks report their filled amount to the thousandth of a percentage.

I believe it takes two Oxygen Farms running at nearly-full output to sustain a lone Engineer. Having multiple Oxygen Farms hooked up via a Conveyor System to an Oxygen Tank set to Stockpile should (slowly) refill the Oxygen Tank.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

XkyRauh posted:

Oxygen Farms fill Oxygen Tanks very very slowly--there's a reason the Oxygen Tanks report their filled amount to the thousandth of a percentage.

I believe it takes two Oxygen Farms running at nearly-full output to sustain a lone Engineer. Having multiple Oxygen Farms hooked up via a Conveyor System to an Oxygen Tank set to Stockpile should (slowly) refill the Oxygen Tank.

Three full effect farms per engineer I think, so yeah they are impressively slow. Too bad that they need direct access to sun, otherwise their new textures would make them nice decorations with utility, especially if it was linked to general light level and could be remedied with lights, now they are either one or the other.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Patch went up early this week.

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! This week’s update contains more improvements to the overall game and modding. There’s now mirrored versions of wheels so you can have the tire tread facing the same direction on both sides of a vehicle. The texture of light and heavy amour has been updated, it should now look cleaner and less noisy. Most noticeably the tiling of corners and inverted corners is less noticeable as lines on the textures are softer. Additionally, merge blocks have been visually adjusted to match their air tight status and central blast door blocks have been tweaked slightly.
Player character color will now remain the same upon respawn at a medical room which will prove especially useful in team-based multiplayer scenarios. Also, idle thrusters will no longer cause damage to players and surrounding grids.
We’re also adding better modding support for emissives. This means that you will be able to use whatever colour you like on functional blocks. For example, you could make a modded generator where the working state is purple. On the subject of emissives, damaged conveyor tubes will no longer emit any light so you know the exact block in your conveyor network that needs repair.
In other news, the artists are still tweaking block models but some have started creating the visual elements of the HUD this week while programmers continue work on the implementation side. Meanwhile, the designers are looking into the balance and overall gameplay of survival and are preparing new scenarios. Ultimately though, stability, performance and multiplayer are still our biggest priorities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu9V0MX8p-c

Features
- Moddable emissivity (Changes to emmisive texture in blocks were done as well)
- Added Mirrored Wheels blocks
- Infinario update - server messages, DS support, screen events, toolbar events
- Patched "silver lines" appearing on armor blocks

Fixes
- fixed issueCamera, animation improvements
- fixed issue where color chosen in Medbay would not stay after dying
- fixed noticable light when using grinder to be more transparent
- fixed issues with idle thrusters not doing any damage as well as active thrusters reach
- fixed issue where the remote control would constantly drain power even when not in use
- fixed the duplicate open/close button in control panel for doors and sliding doors
- fixed issue where automatic fire from turrets would not stop
- fixed issue where the POV for the interior turret was clipping inside of it.
- fixed issue for blocks that are working after being disconnected from powered grids
- fixed issue where battery would not send energy when on "Semi-auto" option was on
- fixed issue with looping hit particles from gun on voxels
- fixed crash at Sandbox.Game.Gui.MyTerminalInventoryController.Init
- fixed crash at System.NullReferenceException ParallelTasks.WorkItem.DoWork
- fixed issue with floating objects slowing down
- fixed odd behavior on ore rocks when drilling/mining
- opening the G screen now will automatically go to the search bar

Note: This weeks update will also disable the feature where you were able to use wheeled vehicles and use turrets at the same time. It is not disabled for ships with thrusters. This is a due to a need of patching the feature. Also the welder change from last week is still not yet finished but hopefully will be delivered in the next upcoming update.

Gonna check to see if small-block merge blocks are still broken. Yup, still broken :sigh:. At least the ones in the Small Ship Mega Mod work fine.

I've also been tweaking my shuttlecraft. Again

Instead of the dorsal rocket launcher (which I'll probably make an alternate version keeping it), there's now a dorsal hatch and a proper internal airlock. It's generally designed to be the kind of shuttle you stick on the hull if you cant carry inside your ship, so now you can stick it on the belly of a mothership as well as on the roof.

I also tweaked the cabin seating for the umpteenth time, into something that shouldn't eject passengers outside just by leaving their seat and still look decent. I also added more windows to marvel at incoming missile fire from.

There's now a window in the nose, so you can actually see what the gently caress you're doing when trying to land it. The Laser Antenna on the underside's now part of a pair mirroring the ones topside, and the shuttle now has a set of five 5x56mm sentry turrets around the hull to shoot at missiles and spiders.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 9, 2017

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
Setting oxygen tanks to not drain has helped with wasted Oxygen. My engineer is no longer draining the O2 tank while I'm using the oxy farms, and remains at 100% breathable. If I enable drain on the tank, the game will happily drain out from the tank, despite the conditions being the same for oxygen supply.

I'm still learning the quirks of remote control, such as having to release control if I want to enable autopilot. I figured out that I can use a random drone just for it's camera, while I have another drone I'm directly controlling to some task, this saves me from leaving the pod to check up on alignment issues (merge blocks, connector ports). I still have to get out of the pod if I want to build something from scratch, the remote control has no access to the G-menu, nor does it report what is missing to complete a weld.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Encounter posted:

I still have to get out of the pod if I want to build something from scratch, the remote control has no access to the G-menu, nor does it report what is missing to complete a weld.

That's a pretty easy workaround; Make yourself a manufacturing cell/drone with small-block projectors and a merge block to release the finished drone. Wave a construction drone with a welder at the blueprint and you're all set. Maybe make sure it has a battery in it to keep it going until you can hook the new drone's connector up to something that can supply uranium.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's a pretty easy workaround; Make yourself a manufacturing cell/drone with small-block projectors and a merge block to release the finished drone. Wave a construction drone with a welder at the blueprint and you're all set. Maybe make sure it has a battery in it to keep it going until you can hook the new drone's connector up to something that can supply uranium.

I've been intending to use this and twin welders to make basically a big 'drone harbinger' ship that can mass-produce mining drones, combat drones, unmanned killer satellites, whatever. It's an interesting challenge to build things that are tiny instead of absolutely enormous; my current line of Little Bastard combat drones are 3 meters long by 1,5 meters wide and tall (aside from the LB-WTF pattern with the 88mm battle cannons), complete with a merge block, probe brain/remote control module, an onboard small reactor for a power source and a pair of fighter-class weapons.

Edit: gently caress it, I got screenshots:

The basic LB-G (Little Bastard - Gatling) microdrone. Twin gatling cannons, a small onboard storage module for reloads, a small reactor and everything you need to run a drone off of. Being as tiny as it is, this thing can actually fit through an open door. Or a rather small hull breach. It doesn't have much in the way of armor, but it's absolutely tiny and cheap to build. It doesn't have an actual cargo network, so you have to manually fuel up the reactor and load the ammo before you take it out for a spin, though. It also doesn't have full autonomy options (AI script computer block+activation timer) yet, but those could be relatively easily added into the design.

Idiot for scale.

The LB-R vanilla pattern is the exact same thing, but with a pair of rocket launchers. This is a frankly hilarious amount of firepower for something this size.

The LB-S variant is the first modded pattern; the Darth Biomech 'scatter lasers' aren't exactly the most accurate thing out there and deal little damage against hardened armor, but zero recoil plus a ridiculous rate of fire make this thing pretty entertaining against soft targets like enemy pilots and unarmored systems. The distictive crrrrrrrrrrrack! of a scattergun salvo is a psychological weapon in and of itself.

The biggest gun available that can still be reloaded via conveyors, the LB-A pattern is equipped with a pair of 25mm autocannons. This is actually a pretty respectable set of guns; they're noticeably easier to hit with than rockets, carry a reasonable amount of ammo, and pack just enough punch with an impressive rate of fire to be a serious threat to most light vessels. Nasty little fuckers.

This is my boomstick

The last but definitely not the least, the LB-WTF pattern carries a pair of Darth Biomech 88mm battlecannons. A slap from one of these is plenty enough to make most things sit up and go what in the actual gently caress was that - just be sure of your aim! The reload cycle for the cannons is several seconds (and incidentally ends in a very satisfying clung! when it's done.)

seriously look at these loving things. Still fits through a door, too, though finding a corridor where you can actually turn is a different question.

How about we knock on the loving door..

At this point, I have to point out that I didn't actually move the drone - the sheer recoil from a pair of 88mms going off at once is enough to hurl the drone back a good 10-15 meters in zero-G before the inertial dampeners kick in.

I'd say that got their attention...

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 10, 2017

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah let met clarify. All my drones have projectors, so if they do get banged up, they can be repaired. I also have a setup that can emit drones using a large to small grid adapter mod block and a modded merge block.

So the problem I run into is when I want to build a new construction I have no blueprints for. I may just make some modular attachment to my AI pod that's a small hanger I can walk around inside.

I've discovered that GPS coordinates can be created the the location of a controlled remote control block, and that a drone set to auto pilot to a nav point can move through zones without radio or laser communication.

Random Encounter fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 11, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drake_263 posted:

Combat Drones

Random Encounter posted:

Neat Drone Builder.

Well clearly I have no choice but to make a drone now too! :colbert:

Have a Sparrow Multidrone. A Medium Container makes up most of the internal body, but if you need more storage it's compatible with my Cargo Pods. Also works in space and atmosphere (there's a pair of atmo thrusters underneath for a little extra oomph over a planet).

Projector Toolheads? We got work tools. The laser antenna pod also has a Jump Drive in it and mounts to the rear of the Sparrow. Tether the Laser Dish to one on your ship, Jump the Drone and it'll reconnect after it emerges from the Jump. You now have a camera peeking anywhere in a 1000km radius (the Laser Dish's range).

Combat? Sentry turrets for defending your stuff, or a plain old fighter pod sans-turrets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! This week’s update contains more improvements to the overall game and modding. Most noticeably, we’ve added lens flares to the sun. This should also be fully moddable so I look forward to seeing what modders can come up with. Please let us know your feedback on this graphical update in the comments below.
Interior wall emissives will no longer be affected by changing the colour of the block itself and trash removal settings are now saved upon the reload of a world. Also, when you open the G screen, you will now be able to start typing in the search box immediately as it selected by default.
Last week we added arrows to the block ghosts of LCD screens so you know their orientation before you place them and in survival mode, players can no longer take blueprints of grids they do not own and cannot transfer ownership to enemy players.
In other news, the new HUD is still progressing nicely with initial implementation nearing completion after which designers will begin playtesting it. Additionally, we are working on an in-game cutscene editor. Although it is mainly designed to be paired with the visual scripting tool, you will also be able to preview cutscenes from within the game which will open up new possibilities for content creators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue0_AuqJZac

Features
- Lens flares

Fixes
- G Screen default search ON
- "O" turns antennas on and off now (same as 'L' does with spotlights)
- changed ore and stone size to small, medium, large
- fixed looping fall animation
- fixed emissives for Interior Walls
- fixed wrong highlight on large oxygen generator access point
- fixed disappearing smoke particles from destroyed block
- fixed trash removal setting not being saved
- fixed bad prediction for Missile turrets when moving
- fixed unarmed Warheads making explosion sounds when shot
- practice ship deleted from cargoships group
- removed Station from G Screen

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Merge blocks?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

Merge blocks?

Vanilla small-block ones are still broken :sigh:. The vanilla Large Block and Small Ship Mega Modpack 1x1x1 versions work fine though.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I'm trying to set up a dedicated server for this and it's not working.
http://pastebin.com/Z8rYbuBX
This is the log it spit out.

Any ideas?

e: I can't load a game I saved in singleplayer either.

e2: Right, so the problem is fixed by installing the game via Steam on the computer (or vm) to run the server and then going from there.

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 21, 2017

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I am so glad they have lens flares now that I am desperate to find a way to turn off the lens flares. I didn't see it in graphics or display, am I blind?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

I am so glad they have lens flares now that I am desperate to find a way to turn off the lens flares. I didn't see it in graphics or display, am I blind?

Based on how they added spiders and cyberhounds it'll take a few weeks for them to add the option to turn them off

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
It's so full of stars

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's so full of stars

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's so full of stars

What, we don't get to see the rest of your fancy new ride, we just get blinded by it's awesome radiance? :colbert:

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I have made significant improvements, actually!
For example, the gatling turrets can now be reloaded from storage instead of by hand from a blocked port!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
New skybox is baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A day late and we get... the Cutscene Editor! :confuoot:

The forum topic on this week's patch note is not a happy place either, because they're all wondering why the gently caress they aren't fixing bugs instead. But KSH have promised they're "working on a fix for next week" to get small-block merge blocks fixed. Except someone already made a one-line code fix and released it as a mod in the meantime

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! To start with, let us explain what happened yesterday. We were planning on releasing the new HUD this week but due some technical complications and internal feedback, the team decided it was better to postpone this feature, giving us more time to improve and polish it before a first public release. At least now, you can rest easy knowing that it’s not too far away!
Instead, we are releasing the cutscene editor today which will allow mission and scenario makers to create cutscenes from within the game. You will need to set up the triggering of cutscenes using the visual scripting tool, which is what the editor is mainly designed to be paired with. Although, it could also prove to be a useful camera tool for other content creators as there is preview button in the menu. Over the next week, we will be creating a more detailed guide for it - so stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S18FIX2n45M

Features
- Cutscene Editor (double press F11 to access it, and can only be accessed in offline mode for now)

Cutscene Editor Demo video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4x0CJEC6Hk

Edit:

Game changes:

- Fixes to campaign (warheads in M3 were not working, boundary fix in M2, pausing in M2-M5)
- Questlog is now saved (in custom scripted worlds)
- New sounds for sound block (meant to be used mainly for drones)
- Drones now can have specified their sound loop which will be played as long as the drone is active
- Drones can now use weapons on subgrids

Visual Scripting changes:

- Fixes to existing nodes (faction function nodes, arithmetic node, shared storage)
- New function nodes (more faction nodes, entity information, inventory functions, drone related, grid statistics and some new math functions)
- Custom research for blocks is now properly saved

• Locked thread