Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

I have to say that I'm extremely please dwith the season pass + general DLC plan.

But if you plan to play a lot then it's up to you bro. Buy it or not you'll be ok!" And I love that. Giving everyone access to content for earn-able currency is good.

About this:

I'd be really, really leery about the earn-able currency bit, as since alpha getting in game currency has been a loving slog. Daily challenges pay 100 units, sometimes 300, and the little side contracts pay another 100 but more often than not they're under the stipulation of winning. So if the whole lot of them for a day or several in a row are for PvP modes, and peer to peer matchmaking being what it is, good luck.

PureRok posted:

I feel in the minority for some reason that I'm going to be probably playing Warden or Conqueror exclusively. Maybe some Valkyrie if I'm feeling frisky.

I mean, I'd be only the Conqueror (love flails and maces) if the Warden didn't look so cool. And Valkyrie because spears are cool and are underrepresented in video games.

Basically, if I could play a Warden with a flail/mace that'd be my dream hero.

Conqueror is fun as hell and I miss the poo poo out of my valkryie. She had loving Shao Khan armor and it was fully sick :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Conqueror was my "main" in the first beta, cause slamming people with a shield and a big fuckin mace is amazing. Valkyrie looks super neato tho.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PureRok posted:

I feel in the minority for some reason that I'm going to be probably playing Warden or Conqueror exclusively. Maybe some Valkyrie if I'm feeling frisky.

I mean, I'd be only the Conqueror (love flails and maces) if the Warden didn't look so cool. And Valkyrie because spears are cool and are underrepresented in video games.

Basically, if I could play a Warden with a flail/mace that'd be my dream hero.

I think I'm going to play Warden pretty exclusively. This game really rewards picking one and sticking with it, like a fighting game, and you level up each class individually, so we may actually see a lot of players settle into a single class or a couple classes.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Conqueror because he looks the coolest and smashing people with a flail mace is super awesome. And then the Nobushi because I love the rear end in a top hat playstyle of it... And beating huge roided out manfantasies with this tiny woman in a mask and ponytail is neat

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I kind of look forward to the singleplayer as well. I like their presentation of some crazy warlady trying to just start wars everywhere because gently caress IT, WHY NOT. STRONG WILL SURVIVE. It's very warhammery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abDY3wrX1xs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fukpFfz27o

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I only enjoyed warlord and beserker. I tried every class, but none were as fun as those. maybe Valkyrie or that fat samurai guy might be fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zzulu posted:

I kind of look forward to the singleplayer as well. I like their presentation of some crazy warlady trying to just start wars everywhere because gently caress IT, WHY NOT. STRONG WILL SURVIVE. It's very warhammery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abDY3wrX1xs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fukpFfz27o

Yeah I always wrote off the single player as "cool to have but probably kinda poo poo" but the more videos I see of it the more it seems like a decent way to play in its own right.

Especially since it supports co-op, co-op with a buddy is always fun. Even a poo poo game with co-op becomes a pretty fun time if you're laughing about it with a buddy.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Perestroika posted:

some sort of roman centurion guy.
Didn't notice if anyone else said it, but Varangian Guard anyone for the Vikings?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

About this:

I'd be really, really leery about the earn-able currency bit, as since alpha getting in game currency has been a loving slog. Daily challenges pay 100 units, sometimes 300, and the little side contracts pay another 100 but more often than not they're under the stipulation of winning. So if the whole lot of them for a day or several in a row are for PvP modes, and peer to peer matchmaking being what it is, good luck.

I made a ton of currency (around 10k) in the last closed beta weekend just playing 1v1, ignoring contracts, and selling the useless gear that dropped.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I thought selling gear just gave you salvage but no steel. Are you sure?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

I thought selling gear just gave you salvage but no steel. Are you sure?

Oh, is there another currency I'm not aware of? I remember buying an experience boost emblem thing and a new execute with it, so it gives whatever those require.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah salvage is a faction-specific currency that as far as I can tell is only used to upgrade items, which requires both salvage and steel to do. I think that dismantling gear only gives you salvage and not steel but I'm not certain.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

panda clue posted:

Oh, is there another currency I'm not aware of? I remember buying an experience boost emblem thing and a new execute with it, so it gives whatever those require.

It's barely a currency, since it's only really used for one thing. The actual currency is called "steel", and you use it to buy almost everything, including equipment, executions, experience boosts, visuals, etc. etc.. You get it from just playing normally, and of course from the daily orders and contracts.

The second one is salvage. This is used only for upgrading any of your items. There's one type of salvage per faction, and you can only get by melting down items of the appropriate faction. It's really not so much a currency as just kind of a soft limiter to how quickly you can upgrade your stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

panda clue posted:

Steel is used to unlock things and is only either purchased with real world money or earned through activities, most of which are limited on how much you can earn per day. (That said, seems like a good amount. If its balanced like beta you can earn a few hundred steel every day doing little pvp activities, that should add up pretty fast) And is shared across your account.

Salvage is from breaking down armor and is used for very little. And its individual for Knights, Samurai and Vikings.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I assume it won't be too dissimilar to the Renown currency from Siege. Just doing contracts every day earned you a whole load of stuff, and you ended up unlocking operators very quickly.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
In the beta all the heroes were locked and in the few days i played (2-3 days?) i unlocked all of them and also bought some gear stuff

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 3, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Watching some streaming vods of me selling poo poo, looks like I didn't actually get 'steel' from selling gear. I did still manage to get quite a bit of currency just from playing, though, so I'm not too worried about it. I wasn't keeping track of where it was coming from, just that I really wanted the 5k execute for Peacekeeper before beta ended and got it without much fuss over beta weekend.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is there any way to measure how many people are playing on each particular platform?

Would be very interested see what the relative numbers are during the open beta.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Chomp8645 posted:

Is there any way to measure how many people are playing on each particular platform?

Would be very interested see what the relative numbers are during the open beta.

Nope. That's usually not something publishers openly discuss unless it's some huge numbers to wave their dicks with.

e: I guess for PC it could be tracked with Steam but in the case of an Ubi title that wouldn't include all the people who got it through Uplay.

Hard fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 3, 2017

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Man they really appear to have phoned-in any attempt at a story (no surprise) for the single-player. Hopefully the campaign is fun to play just for the sake of it, but really why bother make a single-player if you're not gonna have a decent go at it?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Prawned posted:

Man they really appear to have phoned-in any attempt at a story (no surprise) for the single-player. Hopefully the campaign is fun to play just for the sake of it, but really why bother make a single-player if you're not gonna have a decent go at it?

There are a surprising number of people that will just flat out refuse to buy a game if there is no single-player component, regardless of how unnecessary or poo poo it might be.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

panda clue posted:

There are a surprising number of people that will just flat out refuse to buy a game if there is no single-player component, regardless of how unnecessary or poo poo it might be.

That was particularly evident with this game; Ubisoft initially didn't even want to include a campaign until a couple of people on the internet flipped their poo poo. Well, at least it's playable in co-op.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I would infinitely prefer some kind of free roam/adventure type deal for SP content instead of a scripted campaign, even if it was very simple.

But alas.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'm wondering if the beta prices of steel for things like heroes are going to stay the same or if they'll be absurd like R6 where it would cost 25,000 steel to customise a hero.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I'm wondering if the beta prices of steel for things like heroes are going to stay the same or if they'll be absurd like R6 where it would cost 25,000 steel to customise a hero.

I was theorizing this exact scenario a few pages ago but the other posters were very skeptical. We shall see.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

To be fair to Siege, that 25k price was only for DLC operators. You were really supposed to buy those guys with real money, they were just nice enough to allow you to buy them for free with all that renown you had left over.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

I was theorizing this exact scenario a few pages ago but the other posters were very skeptical. We shall see.

The siege model is very cheap for "base" operators, and like 15 hours of gameplay for DLC operators. Obviously they will make the DLC characters expensive in steel to encourage people to buy them, I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Gunder posted:

To be fair to Siege, that 25k price was only for DLC operators. You were really supposed to buy those guys with real money, they were just nice enough to allow you to buy them for free with all that renown you had left over.

Yeah true. But the pricing model itself is still very shady. They cost so much and you make so little renown to incentive you to pay real money. I hope they stick with the system of all heroes playable, only pay to customise them and then have the steel cost sink in the cosmetics.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Prawned posted:

Huh? Videos I've seen of the campaign look surprisingly decent. Its not gonna be the next Witcher, but it looks perfectly decent compared to any Gears of War or Call of Duty campaign, I mean poo poo.

I had written it off but from what I've seen on youtube lately it'll be as good as any other generic mainstream game campaign. There are characters with backstories trying to win the day :v: Its not an RPG.

Chomp8645 posted:

I would infinitely prefer some kind of free roam/adventure type deal for SP content instead of a scripted campaign, even if it was very simple.

But alas.

That would require re-writing the game engine completely. No way is that even possible.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yeah true. But the pricing model itself is still very shady. They cost so much and you make so little renown to incentive you to pay real money. I hope they stick with the system of all heroes playable, only pay to customise them and then have the steel cost sink in the cosmetics.

Don't hold your breath.

Fashinated
May 21, 2003

nom nom nom
And now we have a Discord channel too!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Fashinated posted:

And now we have a Discord channel too!

Jesus christ, why. We already had a mumble channel, can we just not split people up even further?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It costs money to make that stuff. Most publishers don't allow a way for you to get their new DLC content for absolutely free. We're lucky that Ubisoft does it this way.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gunder posted:

It costs money to make that stuff. Most publishers don't allow a way for you to get their new DLC content for absolutely free. We're lucky that Ubisoft does it this way.

lol.

Listen, I like this model. I really do. I think it's better than what is on offer from just about any other AAA publisher right now. I believe it to be a very fair compromise between the Ideal Model as imagined by your average corporation versus your average consumer. But telling people who just spent full retail on a product that they are lucky they aren't being strong armed into additional purchases is really getting into some "thank you sir, may I have some more" territory.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Chomp8645 posted:

lol.

Listen, I like this model. I really do. I think it's better than what is on offer from just about any other AAA publisher right now. I believe it to be a very fair compromise between the Ideal Model as imagined by your average corporation versus your average consumer. But telling people who just spent full retail on a product that they are lucky they aren't being strong armed into additional purchases is really getting into some "thank you sir, may I have some more" territory.

Strictly speaking, you're both right. We are lucky and it is ALSO kinda poo poo :v:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Paying for DLC with real money is "Strong-arming into additional purchases"?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

Strictly speaking, you're both right. We are lucky and it is ALSO kinda poo poo :v:

:captainpop:

Gimbal lock posted:

Paying for DLC with real money is "Strong-arming into additional purchases"?

No it's a lot more nuanced than that but I can say with confidence that absolutely zero people in the thread including ourselves will enjoy an extensive discussion of this topic so instead here is the doge :cheerdoge:

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 4, 2017

Fashinated
May 21, 2003

nom nom nom

OctaMurk posted:

Jesus christ, why. We already had a mumble channel, can we just not split people up even further?

What's wrong with Discord?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Fashinated posted:

What's wrong with Discord?

The fact that we already had a channel, and now people will be split up across different programs. There really wasn't a need for a Discord channel when we already had a mumble channel up where all the goons were concentrated into one area that you could drop in and look for a game. IMO, setting up different channels in different programs just makes it harder to get people for a game and splits up the community rather than bringing people together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashinated
May 21, 2003

nom nom nom

OctaMurk posted:

The fact that we already had a channel, and now people will be split up across different programs. There really wasn't a need for a Discord channel when we already had a mumble channel up where all the goons were concentrated into one area that you could drop in and look for a game. IMO, setting up different channels in different programs just makes it harder to get people for a game and splits up the community rather than bringing people together.

Honestly, it's not as bad as you seem to think. a) we already have a huge SA discord server, which the FH channel sits in, so it's not like a new community has been created. b) from my experience with BF1, people who prefer mumble will stick to it anyways. c) a lot of us just can't use a voip system like mumble constantly and find a chat/voip system like discord the most convenient platform to use.