Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Also in the PAL version you can't get an A-rank except in NG+, because it requires more money than is in the game

Lol that's hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I got every last fukken dime in that dusty house on my second playthrough.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Durante, the guy who made DSfix for Dark Souls on PC, is apparently now being contracted by companies to improve their PC ports. I know that some of his fixes for the PC port of Deadly Premonition were eventually patched into the official release but it's cool that game companies are taking it one step further.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
As a kid I made it a point to get the best mansion possible in Luigi's Mansion. Now, if I remember correctly, doing this required getting virtually 100% of the money in the entire game. And one thing you absolutely had to do was water the plants outside, because doing it enough times would give you a shitload of money. I went through that entire game, doing everything right, and forgot to water the plants ONE loving TIME.

I got the second best mansion.

It was the first time a video game broke my heart. It would not be the last.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

As a kid I made it a point to get the best mansion possible in Luigi's Mansion. Now, if I remember correctly, doing this required getting virtually 100% of the money in the entire game. And one thing you absolutely had to do was water the plants outside, because doing it enough times would give you a shitload of money. I went through that entire game, doing everything right, and forgot to water the plants ONE loving TIME.

I got the second best mansion.

It was the first time a video game broke my heart. It would not be the last.

You don't have to do literally everything but if you didn't know about the really obscure money stuff then yeah you wouldn't be able to miss any plants or pearls. There's almost 50,000,000 more than you need for the highest rank, but it's easy to lose some, fail to vacuum some up, or miss secret/one time spawns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guy Mann posted:

Durante, the guy who made DSfix for Dark Souls on PC, is apparently now being contracted by companies to improve their PC ports. I know that some of his fixes for the PC port of Deadly Premonition were eventually patched into the official release but it's cool that game companies are taking it one step further.

If I'm thinking of the same guy he was very eager to help KT with their PC Atelier ports too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guy Mann posted:

Good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I believe his FFXIII fixes were also officially implemented but I could be wrong.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oddium posted:

jontron was funny on game grumps but an extremely awful person apparently. i don't watch grumps anymore but danny wasn't very good. maybe he's better now

I would recommend their Shovel Knight co-op playthrough.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been watching some Lufia 2 Ancient Cave speedruns recently, spurred on by this one in two hours during RPG Limit Break 2016(definitely a pro-watch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6BnmqhXK5w&hd=1

It makes me wonder though, I played the poo poo out of the ancient cave part of lufia 2 back in the day. Is there any game that is essentially exactly that nowadays, easily available on PC/Steam? I don't mean a standard roguelike like Dungeons of Dredmor and such, but rather a specific RPG-style game similar to the 100-floor design of the ancient cave. There's probably an entire genre out there like it but it doesn't hurt to ask.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I like Dan because he seems like a nice boy

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been watching some Lufia 2 Ancient Cave speedruns recently, spurred on by this one in two hours during RPG Limit Break 2016(definitely a pro-watch):

It makes me wonder though, I played the poo poo out of the ancient cave part of lufia 2 back in the day. Is there any game that is essentially exactly that nowadays, easily available on PC/Steam? I don't mean a standard roguelike like Dungeons of Dredmor and such, but rather a specific RPG-style game similar to the 100-floor design of the ancient cave. There's probably an entire genre out there like it but it doesn't hurt to ask.

specifically, there's a romhacks for Final Fantasy 5 called Ancient Cave. each floor is a randomized map from the game and you collect equipment, jobs, spells, and items from chests from those maps as you go down

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was more meaning some kind of official product, not a romhack, if possible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Double Dragon 4 isn't very good. :( I mean, it's not a bad game, but it's an obviously rushed one that clearly didn't really spend any time on polish. The nostalgic sprites are neat, and all the old Double Dragon moves are there (except the one where you sit down on a downed enemy and beat them to a pulp, for some reason), all the old enemies are back, but the feel of the game is wrong. This is no mega man 9, where the feel of the old games is recaptured perfectly, and it feels like picking up where the series left off. Despite the diverse moveset, the game's pace is so hectic that you're almost always better off just doing basic punches and kicks. Enemy attacks come too quick to really anticipate, so instead of trying to read the opponent and fighting them, you're just mashing the attack button and hoping to do as much damage as possible before you get knocked down by some surprise super move, which almost all enemies have now. The deliberate rhythm of the old games is nowhere to be seen. The story in a game like this doesn't really matter, but the translation isn't very good all the same.

If you guys just want to remember playing Double Dragon 2 with your little brother, buy this and play through it once and forget about it, and it's probably 7 dollars well spent. But if you're an insane person like me and think way too highly of a mostly-dead beat-em-up series, this is kind of a letdown. Double Dragon Advance and Double Dragon Neon are some of the most fun I've ever had playing games, and while that's a really high bar to clear, I was at least hoping this game could do its own thing well and recapture what was great about the NES entries in the DD series. Too bad.

/5

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

A day or so late, but who cares. How has everybody's February been so far? All two days of it at least.

Skeezy posted:

Gaming plans for this month.

- Work on doing some Streaming
- Replay Mega Man 1-6 through the Legacy Collection That's one thing down...although, that started late in January.
- Replay Uncharted 1 for a refresher before 2 and 3
- Replay Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance thanks to 2.8
- Get back over to Round 1 and play some DrumMania again*

*Bonus Plan: See if recording/streaming at the Arcade can actually work with/via my phone. Just an experiment.

Lurdiak posted:

Double Dragon 4 isn't very good. :(

/5

That's honestly a shame. It would have been nice to see it actually turn out good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Volfogg posted:

A day or so late, but who cares. How has everybody's February been so far? All two days of it at least.

- Work on doing some Streaming
- Replay Mega Man 1-6 through the Legacy Collection That's one thing down...although, that started late in January.
- Replay Uncharted 1 for a refresher before 2 and 3
- Replay Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance thanks to 2.8
- Get back over to Round 1 and play some DrumMania again*

*Bonus Plan: See if recording/streaming at the Arcade can actually work with/via my phone. Just an experiment.

That's honestly a shame. It would have been nice to see it actually turn out good.

I've seen people with selfie sticks mounted on cabs steaming from their phone so it's doable

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Blizzard posted:

The Overwatch team objects to the use of mouse and keyboard on console.

We have contacted both first-party console manufacturers and expressed our concern about the use of mouse and keyboard and input conversion devices.

We have lobbied and will continue to lobby for first-party console manufacturers to either:

Disallow mouse and keyboard and input conversion devices

OR

Openly and easily support mouse and keyboard for ALL players

I encourage you to reach out to the hardware manufacturers and express your concerns (but please do so in a productive and respectful way).
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753235853?page=3#post-58

Is Overwatch still using the dual sticks only control scheme?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Mann posted:

It's about time that guy got hired

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh i wonder if dark souls will run on my pc now that i removed a disgusting film of dust from my cpu/gpu. astroneer too

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

oddium posted:

oh i wonder if dark souls will run on my pc now that i removed a disgusting film of dust from my cpu/gpu. astroneer too

Hopefully because both of those games are extremely good. The dust storms in astroneer are extremely bullshit though

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I get only the best advice on foreign policy from ElectricalBeast (aka the Jolteon of Let's Play)
I nominate BillyMC for FDA chair

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I miss Billy, he was always so happy to be playing pretty much anything.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBUt2FnVaY4

BillyMC has gotten introspective lately but otherwise he is exactly the same

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

jontron doesn't make videos unless they are sponsored ads or guest appearances on his mra friend's podcasts. :sad:

lol I was waiting for him to make that vlog thing he claimed he'd do and then didn't. idk how this dude makes money when he only puts up a video like once every 3 months

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBUt2FnVaY4

BillyMC has gotten introspective lately but otherwise he is exactly the same

Sure but he almost never does LPs anymore and is super self-conscious of everything he does so he tends to abandon the fun goofy little ideas he has.

I thought it was neat when he was trying to show off old Tiger electronics toys and stuff like that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He doesn't look like I imagined

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Invictus posted:

So basically a roguelike with turn-based battles then? I'm not sure if such a thing exists apart from the aforementioned FF roguelike romhacks.

I liked the Ancient Cave. One of those one-off neat ideas that just never reappeared in games since.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

There are a million roguelike indie RPGs nobody ever plays, I have to imagine someone else has done it and it just sucks

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I, for one, can't wait for the next pixel-art retro nostalgia-driven randomly generated indie darling.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ekster posted:

I, for one, can't wait for the next pixel-art retro nostalgia-driven randomly generated indie darling.

Brought to you by Steam Early Access!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i am also excited for super spelunky

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ekster posted:

Yeah but unironically if it's got good mechanics and looks decent.

Ancient Cave was an insanely fun extra thing that didn't need to be in lufia 2 but was way more fun than the actual game and needs to be copied by something.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

oddium posted:

jontron was funny on game grumps but an extremely awful person apparently. i don't watch grumps anymore but danny wasn't very good. maybe he's better now

Danny is the only reason to watch the channel.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

Double Dragon 4 isn't very good. :( I mean, it's not a bad game, but it's an obviously rushed one that clearly didn't really spend any time on polish. The nostalgic sprites are neat, and all the old Double Dragon moves are there (except the one where you sit down on a downed enemy and beat them to a pulp, for some reason), all the old enemies are back, but the feel of the game is wrong. This is no mega man 9, where the feel of the old games is recaptured perfectly, and it feels like picking up where the series left off. Despite the diverse moveset, the game's pace is so hectic that you're almost always better off just doing basic punches and kicks. Enemy attacks come too quick to really anticipate, so instead of trying to read the opponent and fighting them, you're just mashing the attack button and hoping to do as much damage as possible before you get knocked down by some surprise super move, which almost all enemies have now. The deliberate rhythm of the old games is nowhere to be seen. The story in a game like this doesn't really matter, but the translation isn't very good all the same.

If you guys just want to remember playing Double Dragon 2 with your little brother, buy this and play through it once and forget about it, and it's probably 7 dollars well spent. But if you're an insane person like me and think way too highly of a mostly-dead beat-em-up series, this is kind of a letdown. Double Dragon Advance and Double Dragon Neon are some of the most fun I've ever had playing games, and while that's a really high bar to clear, I was at least hoping this game could do its own thing well and recapture what was great about the NES entries in the DD series. Too bad.

/5

Awww man, that sucks. Also goddamn it why only local co op. Who really plays PC games with a buddy next to him if it's not a lan party. Either that or get two USB dongles/wires for controllers I guess.

Every single loving beat em up I have, none of them have online co op, just local and it's like goddamn it. LET me beat up drat goons with my friends.

I can only hope that River City Ransom Undeground is really good. We need more beat em ups drat it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There hasn't been a beat 'em up worthy of the title since like, that fan remake of Streets of Rage 2.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does Yakuza count as a beat 'em up

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

River City Tokyo Rumble was pretty good, though not just a straightforward beat em up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All the original great beat-em ups were conceived out of 80s zeitgeist fears of organized crime and urban decay, now in today's political climate I think the opportunity is there for a modern revival where you beat down nazis and corporate shills with razor-lined briefcases.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think the Dungeons and Dragons beat-em-ups (Tower of Doom and the other one) have online co-op, not 100% sure.

Good games though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dragon Crown has online co-op

• Locked thread