Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

List of February 2017 Releases:

- Nioh (PS4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nier: Automata if you can buy from a store that breaks street date

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nioh's gonna be incredible and I am so goddamn excited for it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hah! I just made one of these. Don't worry, that one is gassed and this one lives!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

horizon dark thirty comes out too right

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess the other big games are horizon and for honor but I'm not very confident in either

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is that weird horizon video even confirmed to be from that, or could it just be some weirdo making a purposely lovely spoof video, looks like one of those "IN 3D!!!!" style parody videos

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

None of the games coming out this month interest me. Still continuing to play just Diablo 3 and Overwatch until Mass Effect Andromeda comes out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For Honor looks fun, but I'm probably not going to get it, at least not right away. I like the idea and the beta videos I've seen look like there's some fun to be had with it.

Horizon just... I really want it to be good, but I just don't believe it possibly could be. It's post-apocalyptic Far Cry with a stapled-on dialog wheel. Going by a couple of the preview videos that came out recently, you even have to climb towers to put icons on your map. I think its setting is cool--I'm a sucker for the "overgrown, verdant post-apocalypse" thing like Hyper Light Drifter or even The Last of Us--but everything about the game itself looks like it's just going to put me right to sleep.

Nioh's the only game coming out this month that I'm looking forward to, but it seems like it's going to be plenty to keep me busy. It's not a Souls clone in the least--its actual gameplay is wildly different, despite the handful of Souls-inspired systems built around it, and god drat it's fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Is that weird horizon video even confirmed to be from that, or could it just be some weirdo making a purposely lovely spoof video, looks like one of those "IN 3D!!!!" style parody videos

What are you referring to?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

What are you referring to?

Probably this really awkward scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpPYvELLB8

For what it's worth my own disinterest in it has nothing to do with that, I just think it looks like someone who isn't Ubisoft took a cool setting idea and then copy-pasted Far Cry's gameplay into it and, eh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Berserk Warriors comes out this month. I'm refusing to type its dumb western name.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i bought rimworld like two years ago and finally started playing it and it's pretty good. maybe gotm for februrary

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Berserk Warriors comes out this month. I'm refusing to type its dumb western name.

I didn't know it had a diff western name, what is it?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My month is going to be taken up by SMT 4 Apocalypse most likely. And mastering the new Hitman levels.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk...

Do they... do they think his name is Berserk?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oddium posted:

i bought rimworld like two years ago and finally started playing it and it's pretty good. maybe gotm for februrary

It's real good.

Not sure if this would matter to you or anyone, but the creator is a real weirdo

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Hahaha

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'll probably still be playing dq8 this whole drat month.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm mad at the guy who accidentally got the neutral path in SMTIV and doesn't want to do it because I tried to get it and barely missed and it was very upsetting

I'm glad Apocalypse did away with that bullshit

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

Probably this really awkward scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpPYvELLB8

For what it's worth my own disinterest in it has nothing to do with that, I just think it looks like someone who isn't Ubisoft took a cool setting idea and then copy-pasted Far Cry's gameplay into it and, eh.

I guess a lot of game reviewers had their pre-release NDAs lifted from HZD because a whole bunch of 10-15 minute gameplay footage videos have come out in the past couple days. FWIW the basic gameplay loop looks really cool and nothing else I've seen is as egregiously bad as what was in the video, but it's a wait and see kind of thing for me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm mad at the guy who accidentally got the neutral path in SMTIV and doesn't want to do it because I tried to get it and barely missed and it was very upsetting

I'm glad Apocalypse did away with that bullshit

Wait doesn't Apocalypse have different endings too?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I cancelled my pre-order of Woolly World 3DS to save money for the Switch, but there isn't a lot else in February I'm looking forward to

I'm still playing through Tales of Berseria and I need to finish that, Okami, and Majora's Mask until my ranking thread on another forum starts on March 1st

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Horizon Zero Dawn is developed by Gurrilla Games, they created the Killzone series, and none of those games were good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Apparently Berseria is pretty drat long so that and Yakuza 0 should hopefully last me until Nier Automata and Breath of the Wild.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I said come in! posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn is developed by Gurrilla Games, they created the Killzone series, and none of those games were good.

My money's still on Andromeda for Biggest Disappointment of 2017.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Wait doesn't Apocalypse have different endings too?

Yes but there's no obtuse requirements and you can just pick which one you want. Choices you make throughout still matter but it's because when you make the ending choice if you go the opposite way that you've been acting, there's a gameplay penalty.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Some of the changes in Professional Hitman are kinda bullshit. Like that garden area in Paris where the model guy has his phone conversations, there are now like six guards roaming around. Not sure if it's fun

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

most disappointing traditionally goes to games that were anticipated

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

What's going on with No Man's Sky these days

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes but there's no obtuse requirements and you can just pick which one you want. Choices you make throughout still matter but it's because when you make the ending choice if you go the opposite way that you've been acting, there's a gameplay penalty.

Oh cool. Ive just reached 3/8th moon (I met Flynn and then got murked by Odin). How far am I from the split? Ive never actually finished an SMT game so I'm curious how much more game there is after the choice.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

What's going on with No Man's Sky these days

Nothing since December, it's a 2016 disappointment for now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

oddium posted:

most disappointing traditionally goes to games that were anticipated

Hey man, I'm sure that EA has the utmost confidence in ME:A after sandwiching it in between announcements of their indie dev kit and webzone at last year's E3.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Still playing Berseria, looking like I'm not going to be done by the time Nioh comes out, and oh...

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/31/way-samurai-melding-secret-mana-diablo-introducing-obcidian-legacy/

...I see this this morning and they said the magic words. Also it's already out in early access and the only reason it's in early access is the multiplayer I don't intend to touch and the single player is already done? God drat it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Oh cool. Ive just reached 3/8th moon (I met Flynn and then got murked by Odin). How far am I from the split? Ive never actually finished an SMT game so I'm curious how much more game there is after the choice.

The split is after 7/8. There's not quite as much after the split as in 4, but each route has some unique bosses, and the final boss has some insane mechanics which are different for each route. It's cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I guess a lot of game reviewers had their pre-release NDAs lifted from HZD because a whole bunch of 10-15 minute gameplay footage videos have come out in the past couple days. FWIW the basic gameplay loop looks really cool and nothing else I've seen is as egregiously bad as what was in the video, but it's a wait and see kind of thing for me.

They had a preview event, I think. I watched the Easy Allies video about it.

I agree, the basic gameplay loop looks pretty all right. I think I just have open world fatigue because I can't stop seeing it as basically just Far Cry with neat robots. I appreciate just how neat those robots are, though, and I hope that the gameplay is good enough that it carries what is otherwise a pretty stale formula (which certainly isn't impossible!). If nothing else, I love this kind of setting, so if it's good, I'll be happy to play around in that world for a while.

exquisite tea posted:

Can't disagree there. Once again, I want it to be good because the basic premise is just so perfect for an exploration-based science fiction RPG, but this is modern Bioware, and on top of that, they're being really stingy with actual gameplay footage. Dragon Age Inquisition had a 25-minute gameplay presentation a full year before it came out, not to mention playable press/show floor demos a few months after that, and hour-long videos where they showed off all their combat tweaks. Mass Effect Andromeda has one five-minute gameplay video, a couple of teasers, and a story trailer.

Not to mention all the indications that the story isn't actually about exploring rad planets and finding a new home for humanity while solving conflicts with the native inhabitants of this star system, but instead about an ancient precursor species with mysterious ruins and a ~*~threat to the galaxy (but a different galaxy this time)~*~

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tempting but I don't play early access games on principle even if they're 'done'.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

VIDEO KID: Cowboy BeBop at his computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

exquisite tea posted:

Everything I've heard about that game triggers so many :redflag: :redflag: :redflag:

Of course, I've never much cared for Mass Effect so take that with a grain of salt.

• Locked thread