Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PerrineClostermann posted:

I remember reading about Samsung doing the same thing.

No that's scorchmarks not benchmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

nimper posted:

Your spec sheet ain't poo poo if it's not printed on the piece of cardboard you're using to simulate the size of the phone

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Android Police reviewed the Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe. The article is titled Buy a OnePlus 3T instead.

They've always had such a hard-on for the OP3. The Zenfone does come off as a steaming pile though.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

spincube posted:

Bearing in mind I'm not expecting Big Expensive Camera results from my 6P, am I going to have the best chance of having nice-looking photos by leaving HDR+ and flash on auto?

Yes for HDR+
Never use the flash it always looks awful

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Mental Hospitality posted:

Android Police reviewed the Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe. The article is titled Buy a OnePlus 3T instead.

They've always had such a hard-on for the OP3. The Zenfone does come off as a steaming pile though.

Most of the tech websites I read regard OnePlus phones highly for some reason, even though they address issues either in reviews themselves or in subsequent articles that all add up to what should be big deal breakers.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jigoku posted:

Most of the tech websites I read regard OnePlus phones highly for some reason
I highly doubt they're really using them as their everyday device. It's easy to receive a freebie phone, use it as a secondary device, overlook the quirks and say "this is a great phone!"

Use it everyday and the bullshit adds up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jigoku posted:

Most of the tech websites I read regard OnePlus phones highly for some reason, even though they address issues either in reviews themselves or in subsequent articles that all add up to what should be big deal breakers.

It's the boobs thing.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah, I was giving serious thought into getting a OP3t since all the reviews were so good, but...ehhhh, not anymore.

On the other hand through, I like that whenever the ZTE Axon 7 is brought up, all the goons here that have the phone really like it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I highly doubt they're really using them as their everyday device. It's easy to receive a freebie phone, use it as a secondary device, overlook the quirks and say "this is a great phone!"

It's exactly this though I'd be hard pressed to come up with a way to eliminate the phenomenon. I mean, you can't expect the guy to buy every phone he reviews or live with it forever to review it. There's also the fact that they can't exactly be honest about the phones, I mean no one in this thread listens when you tell them the truth ("It's poo poo, buy a Moto G or Pixel") and no one's going to review sites for truth anyway, they're just reading them to justify their preexisting opinions.

In short, there's very little value in tech reviews and no value at all in individual reviews; all of the value is in aggregate.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

DuckConference posted:

Yes for HDR+
Never use the flash it always looks awful

To add to this a bit, you can take good no-flash photos with HDR+ in much darker conditions than you might think.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I took a pic with my pixel last night, was seriously amazed at how bright it looked when it was dark as gently caress in person.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ - My Nexus 5 is literally the opposite. :ironicat:

Jigoku posted:

It's because they judge phones first and foremost by their benchmarks. OS aside, all other things are secondary to bigger numbers.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

sirbeefalot posted:

To add to this a bit, you can take good no-flash photos with HDR+ in much darker conditions than you might think.

Not on a 6P, unless you have the most stable hands in the world.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Through some miracle my pixel xl wall charger plug has a bent pin.

Is it generally okay to just bend it back with some pliers or do I need a whole new thang?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Not on a 6P, unless you have the most stable hands in the world.

Works well enough for me, though yes you need to be stable for the shot.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I like my phone though...

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This is exactly how I felt about the Galaxy S7 Edge.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
I like my Axon 7 but I like my Pixel much, much more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I like my phone though...

Weird because you complain about it all the time

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Duggler posted:

Through some miracle my pixel xl wall charger plug has a bent pin.

Is it generally okay to just bend it back with some pliers or do I need a whole new thang?

Do you mean like a bent prong on the end that goes into the wall? I can't imagine how drat hard it would be to bend a pin in the connector.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

FAUXTON posted:

Do you mean like a bent prong on the end that goes into the wall? I can't imagine how drat hard it would be to bend a pin in the connector.

Yeah exactly. I have absolutely no idea how it happened, I can put the prongs in at an angle but I'm not trying to burn my house down.

I'll try straightening it out later and attach it into a power strip so if it does wonk out it won't take the whole place with it. Probably.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Duggler posted:

Yeah exactly. I have absolutely no idea how it happened, I can put the prongs in at an angle but I'm not trying to burn my house down.

I'll try straightening it out later and attach it into a power strip so if it does wonk out it won't take the whole place with it. Probably.

Yeah you can just straighten that bitch out no problem.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

It's exactly this though I'd be hard pressed to come up with a way to eliminate the phenomenon. I mean, you can't expect the guy to buy every phone he reviews or live with it forever to review it. There's also the fact that they can't exactly be honest about the phones, I mean no one in this thread listens when you tell them the truth ("It's poo poo, buy a Moto G or Pixel") and no one's going to review sites for truth anyway, they're just reading them to justify their preexisting opinions.

In short, there's very little value in tech reviews and no value at all in individual reviews; all of the value is in aggregate.

I agree with all of this except I'm not sure how to quantify "very little". Personally, I read reviews about things I don't have not because I care about the opinion of the reviewer (because of the reasons you mention) but to pick up on features or the way things work on the doodad before I have the device in hand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mainly look at video reviews of people actually using products now since that tells me far more than someone prattling on about benchmarks. I want to see how the product is to use and if anything will irk me about it.

Show me the things it does uniquely and how you use those features. Show me how it does routine stuff and if there are any quirks there.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

dissss posted:

Shut off at 15% Guess I'll have to go do battle with the retailer (I also have a TV with a dead HDMI input from the same place to take back)

Did you setup the phone (If anything just buypass setup and sideload ES File Explorer and a 3D game apk or benchmark) and try using it a little bit at 6.0.0 first? I spent a little time tinkering in 6.0.0 (mainly messing with my speakerphone, which worked in 6.0.0 (but I believe was using both speakers vs the 1 you get with 7.1.1 due to noise cancellation or something) then flashed the full 7.1.1 build after the test.

Also +1 for 6P camera as it takes pics almost as nice as a pixel in low light with HDR+, but it is much slower so you do have to hold it steady for sure. I need to get one of those mini tripods.

Looking around at all the new Huawei and ZTE phones bums me out how Sprint seems to have only Nexus/Pixel support (amazingly at all) and HTC/LG/Samsung/iPhone only. Such a small selection really does stink, especially when a lot more of these phones have all the LTE bands covered, and most of the CDMA ones as they need it for support in China too.

Really hope MWC announces some killer devices and we get a good 6P successor that works on Sprint dammit.

And hopefully HTC can pull their head out of their rear end now that that 12 year Exec is finally out as well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Did you setup the phone (If anything just buypass setup and sideload ES File Explorer and a 3D game apk or benchmark) and try using it a little bit at 6.0.0 first? I spent a little time tinkering in 6.0.0 (mainly messing with my speakerphone, which worked in 6.0.0 (but I believe was using both speakers vs the 1 you get with 7.1.1 due to noise cancellation or something) then flashed the full 7.1.1 build after the test.

I let the stock apps update and marvelled at the pre-7 notification UI for a few minutes but didn't drain the battery very far. Perhaps I should have run it flat on 6.0

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Mental Hospitality posted:

Yeah, I was giving serious thought into getting a OP3t since all the reviews were so good, but...ehhhh, not anymore.

On the other hand through, I like that whenever the ZTE Axon 7 is brought up, all the goons here that have the phone really like it.

I legit love my Axon 7, it's the best phone I've ever owned. That being said, if I had the money for it, the pixel is a better "experience" as others have mentioned- the xl is a great phone. I'm curious to see if ZTE brings an Axon 8 to the US

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

dissss posted:

I let the stock apps update and marvelled at the pre-7 notification UI for a few minutes but didn't drain the battery very far. Perhaps I should have run it flat on 6.0

Possibly. Sort of a ReCalibraion of the battery I think.

Whatever it did seemed to work on mine but I was beating it to hell for testing sake. If you need a simple APK that I used to run it down let me know. It's just a auto procedural mountain sort of "game".

What makes no sense is what Google broke in this. Even if the battery is going bad, it should at least be able to put the 0% mark where it should be instead of reading it soo wrongly.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm confused by the USB-C cable/charger issues that have been reported off and on in this thread. Is it just chargers built for C that have issues? Am I okay charging my Pixel with either an Anker PowerCore 20000 portable charger or a SCOSCHE USBC242M car charger using the USB-A > C cable that came with the phone? What are my options if I need an A -> C cable that's longer than the Google one (for car charging)?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There used to be issues with A > C cables not using the correct resistor. Currently the issues are with USB Power Delivery implementation (a specific technology standard), typically delivered via a USB C Port/Connector, iirc.

You should be fine with A > C cables and legacy chargers, you just won't receive the faster charging rates like the pixel's 3A 5v or 2A 9v.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Splinter posted:

I'm confused by the USB-C cable/charger issues that have been reported off and on in this thread. Is it just chargers built for C that have issues? Am I okay charging my Pixel with either an Anker PowerCore 20000 portable charger or a SCOSCHE USBC242M car charger using the USB-A > C cable that came with the phone? What are my options if I need an A -> C cable that's longer than the Google one (for car charging)?

To echo the poster above me, A > C has been generally hashed out and as long as you use any of the approved A > C cables in this list, you should be fine.

If you really want to be 100% safe, you can pick up one of the approved car chargers from that same list. In fact, the general consensus is that using an A charger with a good A > C cable is the safest car charging option right now for Pixels.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Hey goons, my nexus 5X just died out the blue, continuously reboots, maybe makes it into the UI, usually doesn't make the boot animation (for the os, recovery, everything cept bootloader). Can't flash anything either. Did some googling, and apparently this is a thing that's happening to some people with sectors of the flash memory dying. I'm well outside of warranty (i got mine shortly after launch in 2015), I didn't contact google, as what I read said they'd direct me to LG, between the warranty and it being a hardware failure. LG wants me to pay to ship it to them, wouldn't give me a clue as to a repair estimate on the phone, and my googling also indicated it'd be paying atleast $150 for what was essentially a refurb.

As I've already written off dealing with LG's support, my question to you goons, is what should I look at for a replacement phone? I'd like a pixel, but I'm not spending $650 on one. What do goons recommend that's closer in the nexus price range? I'm willing to spend $400~$450ish on a phone. I don't go too crazy with games, and mostly use my phone for texting, snapchat, imgur, here, and spotify/play music. I'd prefer something close to AOSP or otherwise easily unlockable and rootable. A friend of mine told me to get a moto G4 or a OnePlus 3T. He has a 3t he's happy with, but, well, thread is the thread title. Is one plus really lovely or is this more of a goony dogpile?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SpookyLizard posted:

I didn't contact google,

Just call and ask Google Support, what's the worst that can happen?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SpookyLizard posted:

Hey goons, my nexus 5X just died out the blue, continuously reboots, maybe makes it into the UI, usually doesn't make the boot animation (for the os, recovery, everything cept bootloader). Can't flash anything either. Did some googling, and apparently this is a thing that's happening to some people with sectors of the flash memory dying. I'm well outside of warranty (i got mine shortly after launch in 2015), I didn't contact google, as what I read said they'd direct me to LG, between the warranty and it being a hardware failure. LG wants me to pay to ship it to them, wouldn't give me a clue as to a repair estimate on the phone, and my googling also indicated it'd be paying atleast $150 for what was essentially a refurb.

As I've already written off dealing with LG's support, my question to you goons, is what should I look at for a replacement phone? I'd like a pixel, but I'm not spending $650 on one. What do goons recommend that's closer in the nexus price range? I'm willing to spend $400~$450ish on a phone. I don't go too crazy with games, and mostly use my phone for texting, snapchat, imgur, here, and spotify/play music. I'd prefer something close to AOSP or otherwise easily unlockable and rootable. A friend of mine told me to get a moto G4 or a OnePlus 3T. He has a 3t he's happy with, but, well, thread is the thread title. Is one plus really lovely or is this more of a goony dogpile?

I'd still call Google. The Axon 7 is also really good and 400$ and not OnePlus

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
What's with all the one plus hate btw? My N5X was my first android phone, so I'm not up on all the android standards and poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SpookyLizard posted:

What's with all the one plus hate btw? My N5X was my first android phone, so I'm not up on all the android standards and poo poo.

So they entered the market by running a contest where people could send pics of their boobs for a preorder invite. Their phones have been decidedly poor quality even for the price and continually exhibit software issues like touch screen lagginess and heat dissipation was a major problem in their earlier devices. More or less, they're just another fly by night operation hawking branded shenzhen specials but wanting to come off like a bargain-premium underdog like Harry's for razors or Warby Parker for glasses or the dozen mattress-in-a-box firms who likely all use the same supplier and ship straight out of Tianjin using sketchy manifests listing all the stuff as tires and scrap lumber to avoid getting looked at too closely. They promised to have a software update by the end of 2016 and released their beta build to the public on New year's eve. Nothing they do comes off as having any consideration about a long-term culture of product quality, just "pay us another $400 next year."

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

anakha posted:

To echo the poster above me, A > C has been generally hashed out and as long as you use any of the approved A > C cables in this list, you should be fine.

If you really want to be 100% safe, you can pick up one of the approved car chargers from that same list. In fact, the general consensus is that using an A charger with a good A > C cable is the safest car charging option right now for Pixels.

Thanks for the link. Just ordered the 6 ft Belkin cable.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SpookyLizard posted:

:effort:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Hey
Hey, I just figured goons love flinging poo poo at stuff. E: that image didn't load inline when I quoted you.

FAUXTON posted:

So they entered the market by running a contest where people could send pics of their boobs for a preorder invite. Their phones have been decidedly poor quality even for the price and continually exhibit software issues like touch screen lagginess and heat dissipation was a major problem in their earlier devices. More or less, they're just another fly by night operation hawking branded shenzhen specials but wanting to come off like a bargain-premium underdog like Harry's for razors or Warby Parker for glasses or the dozen mattress-in-a-box firms who likely all use the same supplier and ship straight out of Tianjin using sketchy manifests listing all the stuff as tires and scrap lumber to avoid getting looked at too closely. They promised to have a software update by the end of 2016 and released their beta build to the public on New year's eve. Nothing they do comes off as having any consideration about a long-term culture of product quality, just "pay us another $400 next year."

Thanks. My buddy seems pretty satisfied with his 3T, but I've since moved the length of the of the country from him so it's not like I can pop over and play with it. I can pick up an AXON at best buy so I may go do that today.

Thanks goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SpookyLizard posted:

Hey

Hey, I just figured goons love flinging poo poo at stuff. E: that image didn't load inline when I quoted you.

Thanks. My buddy seems pretty satisfied with his 3T, but I've since moved the length of the of the country from him so it's not like I can pop over and play with it. I can pick up an AXON at best buy so I may go do that today.

Thanks goons.

If you can check it out first, do so. I never tell people to buy something without trying it out first :)