Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
In my experience of working for the NHS the pens are being closely guarded by a middle aged woman named Emma in the admin department. If those doctors took all the pens what would the admin departments children write with at school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

JFairfax posted:

Nationalists' meeting raided by balaclava gang 'dressed like special forces' with guns

A gathering of 'far right nationalists' in a village social centre was raided by suspected anti-fascists who allegedly fired air guns, threw chairs and swung fire extinguishers.

Terrified onlookers were forced to barricade themselves inside as the balaclava-clad gang, dressed like a 'special forces unit', smashed the windows of Almondsbury Sports and Social Centre and attacked members of the meeting.

Three people were left injured after the raid against the group, said to be called the 'Bristol Forum', which one person said was formed of nationalists.

"By the way [the attackers] acted they gave the impression they'd done this sort of thing before and their silence, dress and general 'professionalism' added to the sense of menace'," said Mr Romilly, who lives in Plymouth but attended the meeting with a friend.

He said the meeting was made up of people who 'discriminate in favour of [their] own people'.

Mr Romilly described how the chaos unfolded at about 3pm on Saturday, January 7, one hour after the meeting started.

"I was asking one of the speakers a question, then there was a sound like a rifle shot and the first window glass splintered, shards of glass scattering over the place where the speaker had been sitting moments before," he said.

"This was followed by a series of sharp cracks as a succession of windows were broken by a fire extinguisher and by chairs brought up from a lower floor.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/villag...tail/story.html

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

For 2015/16, the overall NHS budget was around £116.4 billion.

health Tourism is not even 0.2% of the overall budget.

we spent over 10 billion on an abandoned IT system.

there are other places to look for making the NHS more efficient and saving cash if you must do that.

Yeah it's definitely a relatively small problem, and requires a commensurately measured response.

But I think insisting it's not worth acknowledging could only make it a worse problem for the reasons I highlighted earlier.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

El Grillo posted:

Can't find anything on this: the travel ban on Israeli citizens by Arab nations, is this something that has been in place effectively from Israel's inception? Or did these bans come in at some point in response to the refusal to acknowledge Palestine etc.? Just interested because of the Villiers/May commons thing about it.

Just in case it helps with context, a coalition of these Arab states declared war on Israel the day after it made its independence declaration, so relations were definitely not normalised in any way at inception. Of course there's lots of bad blood from the period before independence that influenced these later events.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah it's definitely a relatively small problem, and requires a commensurately measured response.

But I think insisting it's not worth acknowledging could only make it a worse problem for the reasons I highlighted earlier.

people think it's a far worse problem than it is, because highlighting it as a problem fits into the 'all forrins' are bad' narrative that is the zeitgeist these days.

I am sure the NHS is on top of this, but the problem would have to get dramatically worse for it to become a real issue.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

people think it's a far worse problem than it is, because highlighting it as a problem fits into the 'all forrins' are bad' narrative that is the zeitgeist these days.

I am sure the NHS is on top of this, but the problem would have to get dramatically worse for it to become a real issue.

It is a real issue, just a small one.

I think acknowledging the issue every now and then is how it will remain a small one.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The problem is when the papers take a very tiny thing and make it a big thing by harping on about it all the time because it fits into a narrative/agenda that they are trying to push. If the NHS were being looked at impassionatly then they should be going down the list wasteful issue by wasteful issue filtering out those that are easiest to fix to be looked at first, and only when you get right down near the bottom will non-payment of NHS bills show up. As an example, we are spending a fortune on agency nurses. Temp staff are in a different budget category to permanent staff, and the loop holes mean that using agencies at a much higher cost ends up giving a hospital a higher yearly budget (E. after wages are taken out) than if they hired the same amount of full time nurses.

The way the civil service budgeting is set up actively discourages underspending. If your department underspends by £50k they don't give you £50k less next year, they give you £100k less. This means that at the end of the year managers end up frantically ordering in toilet paper, stationary and new kettles.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MikeCrotch posted:

My Gran probably voted Brexit, she got really upset when a bunch of MUSLIM women were seen at the doctor before her.

Apparently my point that they were probably also British and might have, you know, booked before her was just me being wrong

Even if you accept the racism at face value, Muslim immigrants mostly don't even come from the EU.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Between brexit and trump getting rid of the financial regulations put in place after 2008 the global economy is in for a wild ride

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

The NHS does spend money on treating patients it can't recover the costs for so it does happen. The cost of a plane ticket is a lot less than healthcare.

Living in the US you must be aware of this?

The plane ticket thing is only useful if you have an acute condition, in which case you're probably in no shape to get on a plane and are indeed probably in your own country's A&E. If you've got something chronic, well, a tourist visa only lasts so long and you can't work while you're over here in any case which rather offsets the savings in medical bills. And if you do actually immigrate, like my wife did, you get to pay a 100 quid a year fee for the NHS whether you use or not so you're not getting a free ride that way either (plus, y'know, immigrating to the UK is neither easy nor cheap).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/827217641823752192

:allears:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

feedmegin posted:

The plane ticket thing is only useful if you have an acute condition, in which case you're probably in no shape to get on a plane and are indeed probably in your own country's A&E. If you've got something chronic, well, a tourist visa only lasts so long and you can't work while you're over here in any case which rather offsets the savings in medical bills. And if you do actually immigrate, like my wife did, you get to pay a 100 quid a year fee for the NHS whether you use or not so you're not getting a free ride that way either (plus, y'know, immigrating to the UK is neither easy nor cheap).

OK but some people must be getting a 'free rise' or that £200 million cost wouldn't exist.

I pay for the NHS whether I use it or not - which is as it should be - so I'm not particularly moved by your wife's £100 annual bill tbh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

Even if you accept the racism at face value, Muslim immigrants mostly don't even come from the EU.
Well someone created a political arrangement between Britain, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, and Malaysia, and it wasn't us. It sounds like something that the French would to to spite us.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Pissflaps posted:

OK but some people must be getting a 'free rise' or that £200 million cost wouldn't exist.

I pay for the NHS whether I use it or not - which is as it should be - so I'm not particularly moved by your wife's £100 annual bill tbh.

Ah... this is kind of how risk is generally distributed?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Nationalists' meeting raided by balaclava gang 'dressed like special forces' with guns

A gathering of 'far right nationalists' in a village social centre was raided by suspected anti-fascists who allegedly fired air guns, threw chairs and swung fire extinguishers.

Terrified onlookers were forced to barricade themselves inside as the balaclava-clad gang, dressed like a 'special forces unit', smashed the windows of Almondsbury Sports and Social Centre and attacked members of the meeting.

Three people were left injured after the raid against the group, said to be called the 'Bristol Forum', which one person said was formed of nationalists.

"By the way [the attackers] acted they gave the impression they'd done this sort of thing before and their silence, dress and general 'professionalism' added to the sense of menace'," said Mr Romilly, who lives in Plymouth but attended the meeting with a friend.

He said the meeting was made up of people who 'discriminate in favour of [their] own people'.

Mr Romilly described how the chaos unfolded at about 3pm on Saturday, January 7, one hour after the meeting started.

"I was asking one of the speakers a question, then there was a sound like a rifle shot and the first window glass splintered, shards of glass scattering over the place where the speaker had been sitting moments before," he said.

"This was followed by a series of sharp cracks as a succession of windows were broken by a fire extinguisher and by chairs brought up from a lower floor.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/villag...tail/story.html
Bristol antifa are tasty as hell. That insane Dover demo this time last year, they were all in the thick of the fighting the entire time. :getin:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mozi posted:

Ah... this is kind of how risk is generally distributed?

I don't understand your question.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Pissflaps posted:

I don't understand your question.

Never mind, I think I misunderstood the conversation.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

they say the page is empty, but there's more words there than Lib Dems in the commons.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

JFairfax posted:

theoretically the most likely place that health tourists would come from would be America, but most Americans have no concept of free healthcare so they don't.

yeah, my friend was surprised when I mentioned to her that not only would she get the surgery she needed for free if she became an international student here, but her degree would be a fuckload cheaper too

get educated and save tens of thousands on healthcare and tuition fees, seems good

america sucks rear end

Oberleutnant posted:

Bristol antifa are tasty as hell. That insane Dover demo this time last year, they were all in the thick of the fighting the entire time. :getin:

I mean it's the best city I keep telling you fuckers

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

She pays for that on top of the taxes that she pays as a UK resident just as you do.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Why aren't you all out panic buying lettuces?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

feedmegin posted:

She pays for that on top of the taxes that she pays as a UK resident just as you do.

I don't have a problem with people paying more or less into the NHS depending on their circumstances. I'm surprised you do.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

I don't have a problem with people paying more or less into the NHS depending on their circumstances. I'm surprised you do.

I have a problem with the circumstances being simply 'you're a foreigner' as opposed to 'you make more money'. From each according to their ability and all that.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Wheat Loaf posted:

My dear old gran voted to Leave because, (and this is what she told me) "I haven't trusted the Germans since 1939."

Curiously enough, the more racist of my two grandmothers voted to Remain, because she said that while she didn't agree with the EU, she felt that she was too old for it to matter to her for much longer :smith:.

My grandma voted for remain on the exact opposite basis, actually; she thought that being tied together was what's stopped europe fighting. "We've never had it so good" basically.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jippa posted:

I don't particularly like lettuce.

What's up with panic buying lettuce?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

feedmegin posted:

I have a problem with the circumstances being simply 'you're a foreigner' as opposed to 'you make more money'. From each according to their ability and all that.

Well, you would, because you're being asked to pay a whole extra £100 for access to the NHS.

Lots of foreigners get ongoing, free at the point of care, treatment from the NHS entirely legitimately. Describing it in as simple terms as you are is not entirely honest.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

I don't particularly like lettuce.

In brexit britain we will have food stamps like in the war.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
spinach and cabbage and kale far superior to lettuce

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pissflaps posted:

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

:vince:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Let us not get a head of ourselves...

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jippa posted:

Jokes on you, i've been panic buying courgettes for weeks

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Dead Goon posted:

Rainfall and flooding in the Mediterranean countries has ruined the crop, so supermarkets are only letting people buy at most three at a time.

I mean, I can't imagine ever wanting to buy more than one head of lettuce at a time, but there you go.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lettuce doesn't really keep very long, does it? This all seems flawed. And one lettuce seems like it'd be plenty for one week. And I enjoy lettuce. Although iceberg is a bit bland. Nice with a veggie burger though.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

LemonDrizzle posted:

Rainfall and flooding in the Mediterranean countries has ruined the crop, so supermarkets are only letting people buy at most three at a time.

I mean, I can't imagine ever wanting to buy more than one head of lettuce at a time, but there you go.

I bought a lettuce once, made a couple of BLTs and then left the lettuce to rot in my fridge.

True story.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MikeCrotch posted:

Jokes on you, i've been panic buying courgettes for weeks

much more economical to just buy one sturdy, dishwasher-safe dildo imo

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lettuce is a loving scrub tier veg

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Lettuce is really easy to grow yourself but attracts slugs like flies on poo poo

Lettuce is pretty poo poo though, I basically only use it when i'm losing weight on a low carb diet and need some kind of vehicle to carry the rest of the dinner

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Iceburg lettuce will doom your rabbits, lizards and tortoises to a slow horrible death. It's mostly water, has virtually no calories or nutritional value and your pet will use more calories eating it than they get from it, and as Lizards/tortoises have tiny stomachs and a slow metabolic rate you are basically starving your pet to death with food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

learnincurve posted:

Iceburg lettuce will doom your rabbits, lizards and tortoises to a slow horrible death. It's mostly water, has virtually no calories or nutritional value and your pet will use more calories eating it than they get from it, and as Lizards/tortoises have tiny stomachs and a slow metabolic rate you are basically starving your pet to death with food.

Whenever I am out with my friend buying food for her Guinea Pigs we have to scan the ingredient lists on those salad bags you can get to make sure they do not contain iceberg lettuce because as you say, it is doubly poo poo for pets you might feed it too.

• Locked thread