Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Han does some legit cool poo poo in Empire flying the Falcon, like evading a Destroyer by landing on it, successfully flying through an asteroid belt that's almost certainly going to kill them.

He is also a lowlife who exaggerates how great he is.

These aren't mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dismissing a work of art as "for children" is literally retarded anyway. Children's literature can and has been full of powerful imagery and outright horror. The question actually worth asking is if you can understand it better than its intended audience. What's it about? What's being communicated?

Now if you'll excuse me, MY WIFE has an appointment to get the shading done on her Last Unicorn tattoo.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Let's please not use ableist pejoratives. It is way worse than just declaring something "for kids" as an excuse to not be challenged about it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean it in the strictest literal sense of the word: angst over whether or not the media you consume is "kid's stuff" is a sign of arrested adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean it in the strictest literal sense of the word: angst over whether or not the media you consume is "kid's stuff" is a sign of arrested adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

That's not what retarded means

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Soul Glo posted:

Han does some legit cool poo poo in Empire flying the Falcon, like evading a Destroyer by landing on it, successfully flying through an asteroid belt that's almost certainly going to kill them.

He is also a lowlife who exaggerates how great he is.

These aren't mutually exclusive.

I've always felt that he was a conduit of the Force like Jar-Jar and Chirrut. He can't consciously manipulate it, but it manifests strongly within him through unimaginable luck. Chirrut is blessed through his unswerving devotion, Jar-Jar through his compassion/innocence and Han through his stubborn arrogance ("just a bunch of simple tricks and nonsense"). That's why he never wants to hear the odds and can pilot through a likely fatal asteroid field, or shoot Stormtroopers with his back turned like it ain't no thang.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Solo is the only known person in the history of the galaxy to have jumped into hyperspace from a dead stop, parked in a hangar bay. And he did this in his late 70s. Clearly he's the greatest pilot ever. Canonically implied.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Solo is the only known person in the history of the galaxy to have jumped into hyperspace from a dead stop, parked in a hangar bay. And he did this in his late 70s. Clearly he's the greatest pilot ever. Canonically implied.

It's almost as if what makes somebody a great pilot in Star Wars has nothing to do with piloting skills.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Travel through hyperspace ain't like dustin' crops, boy.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

MrMojok posted:

I thought that was TFA when he did that. When did it happen in the OT?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Filthy Casual posted:

I've always felt that he was a conduit of the Force like Jar-Jar and Chirrut. He can't consciously manipulate it, but it manifests strongly within him through unimaginable luck. Chirrut is blessed through his unswerving devotion, Jar-Jar through his compassion/innocence and Han through his stubborn arrogance ("just a bunch of simple tricks and nonsense"). That's why he never wants to hear the odds and can pilot through a likely fatal asteroid field, or shoot Stormtroopers with his back turned like it ain't no thang.
Literally every person in Star Wars can be a "conduit of the Force" in this way, and in fact, this is the only way in which the Force matters. The Jedi are just weird psychic wizards.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

UmOk posted:

Not the point. I'm saying that Star Wars is not just for children.

And if kids lose their minds it will be from the heroes beheading and cutting people in half. Or all the other appendages cut off. Or maybe one of the main characters burning to a crisp.

This is what made the prequels awesome as a kid. They even made action figures that allowed you to cut body parts off of. Like Jango Fett, with decapitation action, or Anakin Skywalker, with alternate burned, dismembered body action. Heck, even Count Dooku from ROTS made it so that you could easily remove his arms, and head just like in the film!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

This is what made the prequels awesome as a kid. They even made action figures that allowed you to cut body parts off of. Like Jango Fett, with decapitation action, or Anakin Skywalker, with alternate burned, dismembered body action. Heck, even Count Dooku from ROTS made it so that you could easily remove his arms, and head just like in the film!

Star Wars themed Crash Dummies sound neat

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Filthy Casual posted:

Yes, it was in TFA. He did this in HIS late 70s, not in THE late 70's!

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Literally every person in Star Wars can be a "conduit of the Force" in this way, and in fact, this is the only way in which the Force matters. The Jedi are just weird psychic wizards.

That's my take on it, though it does seem to take particular interest in certain people.

MrMojok posted:

Yes, it was in TFA. He did this in HIS late 70s, not in THE late 70's!

Oh right, derp.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

CelticPredator posted:

Heck, even Count Dooku from ROTS made it so that you could easily remove his arms, and head just like in the film!
I remember this actually being a spoiler ahead of time. Of course, it was a little harder to accidentally stumble upon than TPM's soundtrack having the title "Qui-Gon's Noble End".

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I remember I had a Tusken Raider toy with magnetic decapitation action! And I think there was an Anakin with a magnetic hand that you could take off too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Filthy Casual posted:

He did this in his late 70s, not he did this in the late 70s. :haw:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MrMojok posted:

This is the same problem people were having with Yoda, where characters are understood as these static entities with essential traits. "Yoda would never use a laser sword!", etc.

Han in A New Hope, who dumps his cargo and says "don't get cocky", is different from the Han in Empire Strikes Back who - inspired by Luke's destruction of the Death Star - says "don't tell me the odds" and throws himself into risky situations. (This trait is what makes him a 'great pilot' - not the speed of his truck.)

Han in Return Of The Jedi, after being unfrozen, is finally a humbled and defeated character who has sort-of come to terms with his ultimate powerlessness. "I'll never be as good as Luke", basically. You can note that he hardly does any flying.

The Han in TFA is of course, like the film itself, a regression to where the character was in Episodes 4 and 5: a hesitant smuggler who periodically does risky things when pushed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

cargohills posted:

I remember I had a Tusken Raider toy with magnetic decapitation action! And I think there was an Anakin with a magnetic hand that you could take off too.

Yep. That Anakin was a weird toy because it was supposed to be "Final Battle Anakin" from AOTC, so his arm comes off....but he also had lightsaber swinging action, so when you did that, his hand went flying.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I think Yoda would use a laser sword.

The real question is: Does Yoda gently caress? Ever?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

UmOk posted:

Let's ask Yaddle.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

UmOk posted:

Search your feelings.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Search your feelings.

Which movie is this from? Was it a deleted scene from ESB?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

UmOk posted:

Which movie is this from? Was it a deleted scene from ESB?

Yes it's quite rare and Very Illegal but if you give me your name address email and social I will send you a well worn VHS copy on the DL

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

Yes it's quite rare and Very Illegal but if you give me your name address email and social I will send you a well worn VHS copy on the DL

K. Yloren
69 Vader Row
Starkiller Base, 56674-3454

Btw it's for a friend.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
what do you guys think will be the biggest obstacle to people coming around on the prequels, the mediocre acting (like in the OT) or the dated special effects (like in the OT)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ungulateman posted:

what do you guys think will be the biggest obstacle to people coming around on the prequels

Liberal ideology.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

ungulateman posted:

what do you guys think will be the biggest obstacle to people coming around on the prequels

Deplorable smart asses.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ungulateman posted:

what do you guys think will be the biggest obstacle to people coming around on the prequels, the mediocre acting (like in the OT) or the dated special effects (like in the OT)
The tendency of supposedly intelligent people to repeat conventional wisdom as if it's insight.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ungulateman posted:

some of the worst writing in the history of film

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ungulateman posted:

It's probably that they're dogshit.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ungulateman posted:

They judged it based on what they wanted it to be rather than what it was.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

ungulateman posted:

Memes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't Tezzor's posts are so widely read that they have mainstream influence, tbh.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FuturePastNow posted:

What do you consider the best-written film in the same genre as the prequels?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What do you consider the best-written film in the same genre as the prequels?

The Fifth Element

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Zeris posted:

The Fifth Element

Pro-tier pick here, esp. considering

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ungulateman posted:

The everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The structure of the story is always going to be the sticking point with the prequels. The story is a Shakespearean tragedy with all of the inevitability that comes along with that, and for that reason(and a few others) they just aren't as fun to watch as the OT.

I find that the people who complain about the special effects in the prequels are the type that are never satisfied by effects unless they're watching whatever the newest, hottest thing is, and then a year later they'll complain about those being dated too once they've seen the next new thing. Effects age, period. The only reason it seems like sometimes they don't is nostalgia, and the only way to properly judge them is against the other work that was being done at the time.

• Locked thread