Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Splinter posted:

Haven't used it, but it seems like you'd end up with a bunch of samples and plugins you're never going to use. I'd rather pay a bit more for Splice Sounds to be able to choose what samples I get.

Ah, nice, thanks for the info.

This got me thinking, what other subscription-based audio services/products exist? Aside from these two, I know of three more, and I'd love to learn about any I'm missing. The other three I can think of are:

1) Cycling '74 for Max/MSP
2) Soundsonline EastWest composers collection
3) Soundly, cloud based sample library that is also a sfx manager itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Splice has pay-to-own program for Xfer's Serum Synthesizer. You basically pay $10/month until you have paid off the whole VST, with no interest. Once you have paid the full amount, you own the VST free and clear. Serum is an incredibly powerful synthesizer with a really good interface. It's easy to pick up and start playing around with but the features are incredibly deep and rich for more advanced users. I really hope more companies start implementing this model because it is awesome.

Also, Guitar Center has a very similar model where if you get a Gear Card, they have a lot of products you can pay-to-own with 0% interest. I purchased Ableton Live Suite this way, paying about 24/month with no interest.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Splice has pay-to-own program for Xfer's Serum Synthesizer. You basically pay $10/month until you have paid off the whole VST, with no interest. Once you have paid the full amount, you own the VST free and clear. Serum is an incredibly powerful synthesizer with a really good interface. It's easy to pick up and start playing around with but the features are incredibly deep and rich for more advanced users. I really hope more companies start implementing this model because it is awesome.

Also, Guitar Center has a very similar model where if you get a Gear Card, they have a lot of products you can pay-to-own with 0% interest. I purchased Ableton Live Suite this way, paying about 24/month with no interest.

This sounds like a really great deal, and got me to take a serious look at Serum. Wow! Any goon reviews of it?

This one I might actually get, instead of just talking about it. :shepicide:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This sounds like a really great deal, and got me to take a serious look at Serum. Wow! Any goon reviews of it?

I own it and it is hands down my favorite softsynth. It is very intuitive and provides a ton of visual representations for various parameters (detune, blend, wavetables, etc.). It was built by Steve Duda in collaboration with deadmau5 so the features are incredibly rich and allows advanced users to go deep in programming their own wavetables, patches, routings, effects, and more. I also found that the CPU usage is on the lighter side compared to Massive but I haven't gone crazy with it yet. Highly recommend checking out the series of videos that Steve does introducing the various features of Serum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf4Dj3FSCjc

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Slate has a monthly subscription that gives you every plug-in for $25 a month.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Spoke Lee posted:

Slate has a monthly subscription that gives you every plug-in for $25 a month.

...or $15 if you commit to a year. I did it. The plugins are great. No regrets.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've used SERUM as my main synth since basically the minute I got it. There's a clear comparison to be made to MASSIVE, but the things MASSIVE does better are pretty rare.

Modulation is faster and easier in SERUM, there's more options over all and the UI is extremely data-dense and well thought out. There's a clear difference between Synth and FX pages but it totally works out. Older versions didn't really have a preset browser, but now they've added it in and it's world-class. I use it for really basic sounds because it's so much easier to use than most synths.

Soundwise, it can make a lot of variety. There's people using it to make very convincing snares, kicks etc. It can do the gnarliest dubstep sounds, really lush chords, arps, sequences, 8bit stuff, anything. Limitless. The sequencer / LFO hybrids are the next evolution for soft synths and make everything else look archaic. There's dozens of free banks of wavetables available, and you can make your own pretty easily. Once a wavetable is loaded there's dozens of ways to affect it via automation, keytracking, envelopes or the LFOs. You can map almost anything, it's amazing.

The FX module (available as a free plugin for owners) is comparable to NI stuff that'd cost hundreds.

It can use a lot of CPU (particularly when using a lot of voices) but nothing too over the top. This thing can do everything and it's the best synth you can buy for the money, bar none. I'd recommend it over MASSIVE any day of the week. It's #1 and makes everything else look 10 years old.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Some of the things that Massive does better, as far as I can tell:

- CPU usage is way, WAY lower
- Three main oscs instead of just two
- Routing options
- Modulation combinations (not 100% sure about this one)

Otherwise, Serum is at least on par with it, feature-wise, and ahead in many ways.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SERUM does use much CPU and I find it easier to modulate pitch in MASSIVE - SERUM is fiddly in this aspect. MASSIVE even comes with a Vibrato option out of the box. The intention behind MASSIVE is that it's not a precise tool - there's minimal numbers anywhere, it's all about spinning dials and seeing what you get. SERUM is more focussed.

Eric Danger
Jan 15, 2017

Evangelist of Atheism
I'll put in another vote for Serum as a favorite. Massive was my former fave, and I still like its modulation options better. Serum's sound quality is generally better, at least to my ear.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I don't like the interface like I do for Serum, but I really like the sounds I can get out of Spire. The effects are really good, I rarely use an external reverb.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My issue with Serum is that little silence when you change patches. Otherwise its good.

As mentioned upthread I've been caning Absynth this past week and now I'm getting my head round the obtuse little fucker I think I'm in love with it a bit. I find myself missing the envelopes when I open anything else.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on Serum, though that's after I demo it of course. Excited! :toot:

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There's some Serum videos on Youtube by Steve Duda (he's the guy that made serum), well worth a watch to get more detail/tips/tricks on the synth

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

Splice has pay-to-own program for Xfer's Serum Synthesizer. You basically pay $10/month until you have paid off the whole VST, with no interest. Once you have paid the full amount, you own the VST free and clear.

This sounds too good to be true, what's the catch? :v:

Serum looks fantastic and I've wanted it for a long time, but I already have too many synths and the price tag has kept me from buying it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Your Computer posted:

This sounds too good to be true, what's the catch? :v:

Serum looks fantastic and I've wanted it for a long time, but I already have too many synths and the price tag has kept me from buying it.

There isn't one. Steve Duda (creator of Serum) talks about how he thinks this should be the model for music software going forward and hopes that more companies follow suit with other products.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

There isn't one. Steve Duda (creator of Serum) talks about how he thinks this should be the model for music software going forward and hopes that more companies follow suit with other products.

Maybe I'll have to give it a try.

I'm still skeptical but I love wavetable synths and extreme modulation, and Serum looks like the type of synth that can produce exactly the type of sounds I want :v: Forget ~*~analog~*~, I want some bizarre, proudly digital beep boops!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I spent about 2 hours with Serum last night, and holy moly.

Buying this when I get home from work tonight.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Your Computer posted:

Maybe I'll have to give it a try.

Forget ~*~analog~*~

how DARE you

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm an edgy contrarian :c00lbutt:

The analog madness has gone too far. Let us embrace DIGITAL and start making some new innovative synths. We literally have the technology!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Oh great job assholes, now I bought Serum.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm resisting the urge.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ha, I buy a synth every 5+ years.

Serum is the one for now. I genuinely think that next time, it'll be Form or something similar.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

Muahaha.

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm resisting the urge.

Resistance is pointless.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I watched the tutorial with Steve Duda and I've had my finger hovering over the Buy button since :v:

Dude(a) seems like nice guy who makes cool things and really knows what he's doing. I loved all the little "oh I just put that in there because I liked how it sounds" things, it sounded like really enjoyed making and using the synth :3:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Your Computer posted:

I watched the tutorial with Steve Duda and I've had my finger hovering over the Buy button since :v:

Dude(a) seems like nice guy who makes cool things and really knows what he's doing. I loved all the little "oh I just put that in there because I liked how it sounds" things, it sounded like really enjoyed making and using the synth :3:

Steve is the man! I watch a lot of his interviews and he is apparently very responsive via email.

I would highly recommend checking out Xfer's other plugins on Splice, especially the free ones!

Good free ones are OTT (multiband compressor), Dimensional Expander and 8-bit shaper.

For other ones to purchase, I love Cthulhu (arpeggiator) and have heard a lot of good things about LFO Tool.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I'm an edgy contrarian :c00lbutt:

The analog madness has gone too far. Let us embrace DIGITAL and start making some new innovative synths. We literally have the technology!

Unironically this, super simple analogs that everyones making these days loving suck.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Steve is super cool. He's known for responding to emails, reddit posts, tweets etc and just being super gracious. He'll probably show up in this thread with like, a 2001 reg date and answer some fringe technical questions without making a fuss.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I know (sort of) own Serum :toot:

Checking out the $10/month thing, but I don't see myself stopping that any time soon.

Yes, more plugin developers should do this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is this the thread for Reason Rack Extensions as well? Tell me which of these I should absolutely buy and in what order:

I kinda sorta have them ordered by what I feel like I need most in my bookmarks list but not completely.

I already have a few, like Uhbik A, Rob Papen's Predator and RPVerb, Korg's MonoPoly, Synapse's Antidote, Reason's Radical Piano etc.

I got rid of all my hardware gear so now I figure software is gonna be my new money sink :negative:

Some of these (like Stereo Splitter and Iridium Distortion Synth) are only $9, so obviously I'll probably go for those first since they're so cheap.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
After spending a bunch of time playing around with the demo I decided to go for the rent-to-own on Serum. Thread please, I have more synths than money I didn't need this.. but I needed this! :negative:

Are there any tutorials/tricks/sound design videos for this that aren't just "HEY WAZZUP GUYS ITS ME **** HERE WITH ANOTHER DUBSTEP TUTORIAL"? From what searching I've done so far this seems like the new Massive in that regard, and a lot of the presets seemed aimed at those genres too. I wanna learn more than how to make growly bass!

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

FFS I really did not need to know about the rent to own thing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Your Computer posted:

After spending a bunch of time playing around with the demo I decided to go for the rent-to-own on Serum. Thread please, I have more synths than money I didn't need this.. but I needed this! :negative:

Are there any tutorials/tricks/sound design videos for this that aren't just "HEY WAZZUP GUYS ITS ME **** HERE WITH ANOTHER DUBSTEP TUTORIAL"? From what searching I've done so far this seems like the new Massive in that regard, and a lot of the presets seemed aimed at those genres too. I wanna learn more than how to make growly bass!

Cymatics youtube page has a bit more variety :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HU3Ec2qho4&t=929s

most are gonna be bass though. What would a VST be without 100k wobble bass tutorial vids?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I always enjoyed Torley's Project Preset video... it would just be him, loading up a synth, and then scrolling through the preset. Videos would be something like 2 hours long. And they didn't teach you anything, but as someone who appreciates softsynths, I loved just putting it on and listening to them while doing other work.

I wish he'd make more, but it's been 2-3 years since he last uploaded something. :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

Cymatics youtube page has a bit more variety :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HU3Ec2qho4&t=929s

most are gonna be bass though. What would a VST be without 100k wobble bass tutorial vids?

Thanks! I'll check it out.
I think Serum has become the new Massive in terms of just how much of the dudebro dubstep wobble tutorials there are though. Can hardly find any other info at all! Although... I can see why. The synth is extremely well suited for harsh, horrible screeches and wobbles. From the wavetables themselves to the different warp modes, filters, fx and modulations you have a million ways to make those kinds of sounds and actually I kinda like that.

I've never made any music of that sort before but I just couldn't help myself when tinkering with Serum and ended up with... whatever this is??
https://soundcloud.com/noiseyard-1/ayylmao

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Good stuff! ^^^

I'm actually looking forward to working with Serum in just how many non-techno/dance/EDM/whatever sounds I can find or come up with. I know it's not a sample synth, but there's some of that in there, so I'll see what's possible. Almost done those Steve Duda talks, can't wait to dive in.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Good stuff! ^^^

I'm actually looking forward to working with Serum in just how many non-techno/dance/EDM/whatever sounds I can find or come up with. I know it's not a sample synth, but there's some of that in there, so I'll see what's possible. Almost done those Steve Duda talks, can't wait to dive in.

Don't forget that you can literally drag samples from your DAW into Serum and it will re-create the waveform in Serum. This can lead to some truly unique and awesome sounds. As for tutorials, if you haven't watched Steve Duda's series on Serum, I would highly recommend it as a starting point. I agree that most of the tutorials out there are for bro-step dubwobbles which kinda sucks but the synth is super versatile and can create so much more.

I would definitely recommend checking out cymatics.fm and downloading all of their Free Serum Presets. I have learned a good amount by simply reverse-engineering the sounds they have created. Cymatics is actually a really cool website with some great people so I would recommend signing up anyway even if you only grab the free stuff.

I purchased the new Helix for Serum pack from them as someone else mentioned and have been diving into the full production tutorial. I have never watched a video where someone builds a track from start to finish and this is really helping me think about levels while im writing (a major problem I have).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I just finished those 12 videos with him and David Alexander of Icon Collective, and they're super handy.

I'm definitely getting Cthulhu next, because goddamn :swoon:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Your Computer posted:

Thanks! I'll check it out.
I think Serum has become the new Massive in terms of just how much of the dudebro dubstep wobble tutorials there are though. Can hardly find any other info at all! Although... I can see why. The synth is extremely well suited for harsh, horrible screeches and wobbles. From the wavetables themselves to the different warp modes, filters, fx and modulations you have a million ways to make those kinds of sounds and actually I kinda like that.

I've never made any music of that sort before but I just couldn't help myself when tinkering with Serum and ended up with... whatever this is??
https://soundcloud.com/noiseyard-1/ayylmao

Dude this is cool as poo poo. Make more! It would be cool if at some point we shared our Serum Patches and talked about how we made them. I have a couple presets I have made from scratch that we could start with if there is enough interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Dude this is cool as poo poo. Make more! It would be cool if at some point we shared our Serum Patches and talked about how we made them. I have a couple presets I have made from scratch that we could start with if there is enough interest.

I would love this. Let's all do it!