Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Well, if calling the police would ever be effective for neighbor disputes, it's in situations like that since it gives them a reason to actually do something. Unless it's legal where you are, then you're out of luck probably (again).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LegalPad posted:

My boss has a lot of dumb ideas and when they are exceptionally dumb he will try to 'lead' the office into implementing the idea rather than just telling us to do it.

"We need to stop telling customers when their shipment is delayed because it causes them to cancel their order. I think you will agree that it is much more sound to......"

It made me realize when you hear the phrase " I think you will agree.." that person is probably trying to sell you bullshit.

Also, he's trying to get everyone to agree so when it goes wrong, it's not just his fault. You're ALL to blame for going along with it. Best thing to do is say something like "I don't agree, but you're the boss so you say how you think it should be done."

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Well, if calling the police would ever be effective for neighbor disputes, it's in situations like that since it gives them a reason to actually do something. Unless it's legal where you are, then you're out of luck probably (again).

from the research we did, it seems like the police wouldn't really do anything unless they were dealers or had a large amount of weed. I'm not really thrilled to ever get police involved so I don't really know what our options are if they don't take precautions to stop the smell from getting everywhere in this place.

I'm pretty sure the people above us are moving out, which means half of the people here have moved out since we moved in. and I just realised that the company is probably going to renovate the apartment upstairs once they're gone. so we're going to be in for another month+ of jackhammering, drilling, cigarette butts everywhere and loud music from their contractors. :shepicide:

we have to give three months notice if we're moving (we have until the end of february for this), and the place we'd really like to move into requires moving in within a month of your application. how the hell do we manage that, not knowing if we'd even get approved for the other place?? we don't have the kind of money that would allow us to have even a month of overlapping rent, and like hell they'd reserve a place for us for three months.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If you're really annoyed as much as is implied based on your frequency of posting about your situation, I don't see why you'd be hesitant to get the cops involved. Just tell them you see people coming and going a lot (might not be true but :shrug:) and it always has a strong smell of weed. It's not an ideal solution, but it is more of a solution than posting on the internet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For gently caress sake coworkers hash out the basics of your project somewhere other than in the shared office, I'm not getting a single stroke of work done with you blabbing on.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Semi-related unwanted noise complaint I experienced this morning: people who sing along to the music they are listening to. I don't know if it's a lack of awareness or just a desire to be seen as whimsical or whatever or both, but pretty much everyone on the bus was looking at the guy like he was mentally ill, surely he had to have known he was bothering people. At least be good at singing if you're going to annoy everyone, especially early in the morning.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The worst is when they sing along with like, one lyric every 20 seconds. The WORST worst is when they whistle.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ugh now they're back to looking for stuff and getting audibly frustrated at not finding the stuff.

We're a goddamn library you'd think the one thing we could manage to do is store our files so they're easy to find.

e: OH GOOD NOW ONE OF YOU IS LOOKING FOR STUFF AND TWO OTHERS ARE DISCUSSING, THIS IS GREAT

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Feb 1, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Semi-related unwanted noise complaint I experienced this morning: people who sing along to the music they are listening to. I don't know if it's a lack of awareness or just a desire to be seen as whimsical or whatever or both, but pretty much everyone on the bus was looking at the guy like he was mentally ill, surely he had to have known he was bothering people. At least be good at singing if you're going to annoy everyone, especially early in the morning.

These people are bizarre and probably in the top 5 worst kinds of people to encounter on public transportation. Thankfully they aren't that common.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The absolute worst is people that start singing along to some music that's playing and they get so into it or whatever that they stop actually listening so after a while they are several seconds out of sync with the song but somehow oblivious to it.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I have a song in my heart. v:shobon:v

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

walrusman posted:

I have a song in my heart. v:shobon:v

keep it there

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

YeahTubaMike posted:

The worst is when they sing along with like, one lyric every 20 seconds. The WORST worst is when they whistle.

Absolutely this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can't imagine anyone singing somewhere like public transportation unless they were literally mentally ill in some way. I've seen it happen a few times, but usually with people who are obviously...off in some way.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I can't imagine anyone singing somewhere like public transportation unless they were literally mentally ill in some way. I've seen it happen a few times, but usually with people who are obviously...off in some way.

The authentic CTA experience involves two guys rapping on the train while passing a bottle of Hennessy back and forth at 10:30 a.m.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I once saw a guy rapping about Jesus for ten stops straight.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

My Lovely Horse posted:

I once saw a guy rapping about Jesus for ten stops straight.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

nah, younger

I also once sat next to someone on a full train who loudly sang hymns. Eventually I asked him to stop and he said if it bothered me, and since I asked so politely, he would. I thought to myself "see, being friendly works better than going off at them." Then he asked me "but have you ever noticed how people never ask Muslims the same thing" and I had to feign a sudden inability to communicate at all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Software where common shortcuts do completely different things than expected. I've used several IDEs where ctrl-Y isn't "redo", it just deletes the entire line you're on. So then you have to undo that when you're already trying to redo something, and everything gets awkward.

Did you try to press ctrl-S to save in vim? gently caress you. That makes the terminal stop outputting anything for some reason until you press ctrl-Q. So you will probably think it has locked up entirely if you don't know what's going on.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

My dumb friend sings along to songs even when she doesn't know the lyrics. "Hununuh-nene tonight nanana..." :murder:

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

timefly posted:

My dumb friend sings along to songs even when she doesn't know the lyrics. "Hununuh-nene tonight nanana..." :murder:

Back when I was at high school, one of my friends would rap along with Eminem songs, swear words included. WTF?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

My Lovely Horse posted:

nah, younger

I also once sat next to someone on a full train who loudly sang hymns. Eventually I asked him to stop and he said if it bothered me, and since I asked so politely, he would. I thought to myself "see, being friendly works better than going off at them." Then he asked me "but have you ever noticed how people never ask Muslims the same thing" and I had to feign a sudden inability to communicate at all.

"Do you ever notice how nobody knows a single Muslim song?"

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Because derails about speed limits are common I'll make this context clear up front: this was an average speed camera zone, I couldn't have sped whether or not I wanted to.

With that said, gently caress this guy. He was in a truck at highway speed, so he was already supposed to be going 10k/h less than me, as mentioned I was in an area where speeding absolutely wasn't even an option - and here he is blasting his hi-beams in my mirrors for following the drat law. I pulled over and he sped past so, uh, good job getting yourself caught and hopefully losing your job. :byewhore:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

bean_shadow posted:

"Do you ever notice how nobody knows a single Muslim song?"

Do you ever notice how Muslim's typically don't do poo poo like sing in "Arabic" (More Muslims speak Indonesian and Chinese dialects and Urdu than those who speak Arabic) on public transportation because some hate filled rear end in a top hat will harass them or possibly assault them?

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

Chinese dialects

Sorry for the call out but this is thread-appropriate. It's not wrong because there's no set definition of "language" or "dialect", but it's still misleading.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Whiz Palace posted:

Sorry for the call out but this is thread-appropriate. It's not wrong because there's no set definition of "language" or "dialect", but it's still misleading.

Fair point. That's what happens when you copy paste like I did. You are absolutely correct.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Drivers who slowly inch forwards at a red light, even when the cars in front of them are stationary.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Digirat posted:

Software where common shortcuts do completely different things than expected. I've used several IDEs where ctrl-Y isn't "redo", it just deletes the entire line you're on. So then you have to undo that when you're already trying to redo something, and everything gets awkward.

Did you try to press ctrl-S to save in vim? gently caress you. That makes the terminal stop outputting anything for some reason until you press ctrl-Q. So you will probably think it has locked up entirely if you don't know what's going on.

Related: vim being the default editor in so many linux distros. It's no problem now that I've learned the basic command set, but I think it's completely unfair to throw unsuspecting users into an editor in which you have to know to press 'i' before you're allowed to type anything. Even now I still forget and throw myself into some Mystery Mode by trying to type right away.

I will say that ctrl-Y doesn't make sense as 'redo' because redo is the opposite of 'undo' and since 'undo' is ctrl-Z, it makes sense that it'd be shift-ctrl-Z. However! That doesn't mean it's easy for my stupid tiny hands to type.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I actually completely agree that ctrl-Y is a really random and uncomfortable combination to be redo if ctrl-Z is undo, but that sure doesn't make it any more fun when you try to redo something and end up both deleting a line and screwing up the undo history.

I can't stand vim in general.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

When a podcast I like covers a subject I'm really interested in hearing them discuss and then has as a guest someone with an absolutely terrible voice.

I get that a lot of smart, interesting, even funny people might not have good voices. But when your guest is, ostensibly, a performer and a comedian, and their voice sounds like a noseless 5-year-old with progeria, and they're not even particularly funny or insightful, then maybe your episode is a do-over.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If the cluster i'm on doesn't have pico/nano or something like gedit i'm totally lost. Text editors should be the simplest most straightforward things. Sometimes i think the vim fanatics are just pretending to like it to look smarter than the rest of us.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Pastry of the Year posted:

When a podcast I like covers a subject I'm really interested in hearing them discuss and then has as a guest someone with an absolutely terrible voice.

I get that a lot of smart, interesting, even funny people might not have good voices. But when your guest is, ostensibly, a performer and a comedian, and their voice sounds like a noseless 5-year-old with progeria, and they're not even particularly funny or insightful, then maybe your episode is a do-over.

I really want to hear this voice now. Post the deets?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Stoatbringer posted:

Drivers who slowly inch forwards at a red light, even when the cars in front of them are stationary.

Even worse the the rear end in a top hat (normally in some giant penis-compensation of a truck) is edging forwards when he's in the the straight lane, and I'm turning right and am inching forward to see if it's clear. I can't see through your truck, dickhead! You can't even go anywhere, why are you edging forward?

Or the idiots who start rolling forward when the intersecting light is changing to red, I guess in the hope they can get rolling start when our light turns green or something? But I've never seen anyone actually get the timing right so they always roll -> brake -> roll a bit more -> brake before the light actually changes. At this point their car is like 75% into the intersection.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Having to listen to precocious toddlers who talk like Caillou. There's some kid in our lobby playing "store" and saying things like "this is mwy mwuny" and "here is youwr chaiwuh" and it's driving me nuts. I'd be glad to not have to interact with children at all.

edit: this goes for things created by adults meant to appeal to children. Every once in a while I see the phrase "a wiggle and a giggle" and my stomach turns.

Magic Hate Ball has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Feb 4, 2017

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Killingyouguy! posted:

Related: vim being the default editor in so many linux distros. It's no problem now that I've learned the basic command set, but I think it's completely unfair to throw unsuspecting users into an editor in which you have to know to press 'i' before you're allowed to type anything.

Training : "This is vim. Git gud."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The question "how are you?", both being asked it and asking it yourself in the context of coworkers or other non-friends (or even sometimes with friends really if they ask it every single day). When you ask it, you either get a stock "fine, you?" non-answer or an overly detailed description of everything they did for the past 24 hours. When you are asked it, you usually give the stock answer because you don't like/trust the person enough to tell them how you're actually doing. It would be nicer if people would only ask it if they genuinely wanted to know rather than just doing it because it's the social convention.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

The question "how are you?", both being asked it and asking it yourself in the context of coworkers or other non-friends (or even sometimes with friends really if they ask it every single day). When you ask it, you either get a stock "fine, you?" non-answer or an overly detailed description of everything they did for the past 24 hours. When you are asked it, you usually give the stock answer because you don't like/trust the person enough to tell them how you're actually doing. It would be nicer if people would only ask it if they genuinely wanted to know rather than just doing it because it's the social convention.

"How are you?" only bothers me when it's being asked in a hallway, at work, by a coworker who's walking past me in the opposite direction, without slowing down or waiting to hear my answer. Not because it implies they don't care about my answer, that's never bothered me (because I certainly don't care about a near-stranger's personal life, why should they care about mine?) but because I feel like I have to be polite and ask it back to them, but by the time I get out "Fine thanks, yourself?" they're already behind me, chirping "Good!" over their shoulder, and I go "Oh, good!" back, and by the time the whole interaction is over there's about five feet of distance between us and nothing of value has been accomplished.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Parasol Prophet posted:

"How are you?" only bothers me when it's being asked in a hallway, at work, by a coworker who's walking past me in the opposite direction, without slowing down or waiting to hear my answer. Not because it implies they don't care about my answer, that's never bothered me (because I certainly don't care about a near-stranger's personal life, why should they care about mine?) but because I feel like I have to be polite and ask it back to them, but by the time I get out "Fine thanks, yourself?" they're already behind me, chirping "Good!" over their shoulder, and I go "Oh, good!" back, and by the time the whole interaction is over there's about five feet of distance between us and nothing of value has been accomplished.

Yeah I don't mind that they don't care, it's mostly what you said. Plus the expectation to always answer positively otherwise you're a "downer".

Anyway this has been annoying me lately and happened this morning: people who flick you off or otherwise give you an angry look when the doors to the tram/bus won't open as it's preparing to move on. If the button outside isn't working it's not going to work in here either, flip the driver off if you want someone to be mad at, he's the one controlling it, not me. I guess they expect you to see them running and hold the door, which I do if I notice, but it's not something I'm always actively looking for and it's unreasonable to expect it to be.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
People who overheat gyms. It's 65F outside and we're sweating our balls off in here, do you want us to faint and fall off the treadmill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anyone who overheats an inside space, tbh. My family is terrible for it. We live in a loving desert, we don't need the house at eighty degrees.