Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
why would you eat lettuce when you can eat spinach??

Feb 3 - 1488 - The Portuguese navigator Bartholomeu Diaz landed at Mossal Bay in the Cape, the first European known to have landed on the southern extremity of Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

JFairfax posted:

spinach and cabbage and kale far superior to lettuce

kale needs cooking and cabbage is usually best cooked if its not coleslaw. watercress is best for sandwiches imo

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Poor old migrant vegetables, shouting "Lettuce in!", only for Nigel Cabbage to deny them.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pissflaps posted:

Well, you would, because you're being asked to pay a whole extra £100 for access to the NHS.

Lots of foreigners get ongoing, free at the point of care, treatment from the NHS entirely legitimately. Describing it in as simple terms as you are is not entirely honest.

There's also the fact that the surcharge was introduced by the Tories specifically to tax immigration and curb health tourism concerns, so it's valid to bring up when talking about health tourism.

With several hundred thousand non-eu immigrants a year it seems like it would in fact offset most of it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

kale needs cooking and cabbage is usually best cooked if its not coleslaw. watercress is best for sandwiches imo

u can put spinach in sandwiches and it is v good.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Private Speech posted:

There's also the fact that the surcharge was introduced by the Tories specifically to tax immigration and curb health tourism concerns, so it's valid to bring up when talking about health tourism.

With several hundred thousand non-eu immigrants a year it seems like it would in fact offset most of it.

It wouldn't address health tourist concerns as it's specifically for people living here on a long-term basis (over six months).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Pissflaps posted:

It wouldn't address health tourist concerns as it's specifically for people living here on a long-term basis (over six months).

Either way it makes up for it? It would be difficult to tax actual tourists.

The immigrant numbers are also for long-term stay.

E: And having tourists pay an explicit "NHS surcharge" seems like a really good way to make health tourism into an actually significant thing.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Private Speech posted:

Either way it makes up for it? It would be difficult to tax actual tourists.

The immigrant numbers are also for long-term stay.

Somebody who is described as a 'health tourist' is specifically somebody who has come to the UK to take advantage of the NHS, from whom payment is not recoverable. That costs £200 million a year. These people aren't paying for NHS treatment.

You might consider the amount spent on them to be unimportant, or the issue not worth much attention, but to say that some other people do pay for the NHS is neither here nor there.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Well, you would, because you're being asked to pay a whole extra £100 for access to the NHS.

Lots of foreigners get ongoing, free at the point of care, treatment from the NHS entirely legitimately. Describing it in as simple terms as you are is not entirely honest.

I don't understand what you're even saying here, and particularly I don't see anything in here which is a defence of 'you're a foreigner therefore you should have to pay extra for the NHS on top of your taxes'. The putative fact that a lot of other foreigners, specifically tourists who suffer accidents or whatever over here, don't have to pay, isn't relevant to that point. Is there such a defence, or do you agree that this is in fact unjust?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

feedmegin posted:

I don't understand what you're even saying here, and particularly I don't see anything in here which is a defence of 'you're a foreigner therefore you should have to pay extra for the NHS on top of your taxes'. The putative fact that a lot of other foreigners, specifically tourists who suffer accidents or whatever over here, don't have to pay, isn't relevant to that point. Is there such a defence, or do you agree that this is in fact unjust?

It is relevant because you're trying to portray it as a 'foreigner surcharge' when that is clearly not the case. Lots of foreigners are able to legitimately claim NHS treatment without additional charges. Your wife is not one of them.

Ultimately I think paying an extra £100 a year to access the NHS represents excellent value for money. I don't understand what your complaint is.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Pissflaps, I have dedicated a class and two hours homework to your abilitys.

Your deflection, contrariness, and stamina are amazing.

Its just a shame you waste your abilities on somethingawful, but then again since you're a tory, its probably the best.

Namaste.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think I've deflected anything I'd welcome a quote demonstrating otherwise?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pissflaps posted:

Somebody who is described as a 'health tourist' is specifically somebody who has come to the UK to take advantage of the NHS, from whom payment is not recoverable. That costs £200 million a year. These people aren't paying for NHS treatment.

You might consider the amount spent on them to be unimportant, or the issue not worth much attention, but to say that some other people do pay for the NHS is neither here nor there.

The surcharge was literally introduced under the pretext of health tourism (along with changes allowing trusts to charge visitors 150% of the cost of treatment): http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32281155

While this doesn't mean you share the government view even if you do support the charge, it is a reason why it is relevant to bring up.

e: And arguably if you consider all non-citizens to fall into one lot it's a much more efficient and less disruptive way to recoup the money than introducing point-of-treatment eligibility checks and potentially denying treatment in emergency.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 3, 2017

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

LemonDrizzle posted:

Rainfall and flooding in the Mediterranean countries has ruined the crop, so supermarkets are only letting people buy at most three at a time.

I mean, I can't imagine ever wanting to buy more than one head of lettuce at a time, but there you go.

This is all around where my parents live between Murcia and Cartaghena. All the fields (and there are a lot) are owned by subsidiaries of the big supermarkets and lettuce and courgette and what not have been literally washing down the road since Christmas. The floods were like York on any given year, but apparently they have just been endlessly replanting, only to have the new crops wash away. So the supermarkets have decided to nix the wholesale part of the operation, and send the dwindling stock to stores, and therefore charging more for the same thing for restaurants, markets et all, and eliminating any bulk buy orders. Capitalism wins once again!

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Though it's not just foreign people - British people who live elsewhere aren't necessarily entitled to free healthcare.

Dirty bloody emigrants, they make me sick.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Private Speech posted:

The surcharge was literally introduced under the pretext of health tourism (along with changes allowing trusts to charge visitors 150% of the cost of treatment): http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32281155

While this doesn't mean you share the government view even if you do support the charge, it is the reason why it is relevant to bring up.

These are increased charges for some foreign visitors using the NHS, not the International Health Surcharge we've been discussing.

...is correcting you 'contrarianism'?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pissflaps posted:

These are increased charges for some foreign visitors using the NHS, not the International Health Surcharge we've been discussing.

...is correcting you 'contrarianism'?

Literally the first few lines of the bbc article:

quote:

Visitors from outside the EU who receive treatment in NHS hospitals in England are now being charged 150% of the cost under changes brought in to discourage "health tourism".

Non-EU citizens settling in the UK for longer than six months are also being required to pay a "health surcharge" as part of their visa applications.

The new rules from the Department of Health came into force on 6 April.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Private Speech posted:

Literally the first few lines:

So, literally from your article, the surcharge being applied is in addition to measures designed to discourage health tourism.

Health tourists are by definition short term visitors. They're not students or others on long term visas living here.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pissflaps posted:

So, literally from your article, the surcharge being applied is in addition to measures designed to discourage health tourism.

Health tourists are by definition short term visitors. They're not students or others on long term visas living here.

It was introduced as subsections of the same "NHS Visitor and Migrant Cost Recovery Programme" with the explicit goal of covering the cost of health tourism. The money from the two policies is counted together as proceeds from the programme.

Short article covering it:
NHS Visitor and Migrant Cost Recovery Programme

There even is conservatihome article moaning how the charge is too low for the goal blah blah blah it's conservatihome.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 3, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

spectralent posted:

My grandma voted for remain on the exact opposite basis, actually; she thought that being tied together was what's stopped europe fighting. "We've never had it so good" basically.
This was the exact idea behind what became the EU in the first place, so good for her. It was barely mentioned at all in the referendum campaign.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Private Speech posted:

It was introduced as subsections of the same "NHS Visitor and Migrant Cost Recovery Programme" with the explicit goal of covering the cost of health tourism. The money from the two policies is counted together as proceeds from the programme.

NHS Visitor and Migrant Cost Recovery Programme

Literally from the first few lines of your link:

quote:

This surcharge will not apply to non-EEA visitors (here for less than 6 months), who instead can expect to pay 150% of the cost of any treatment they receive whilst in the UK.

The two measures: surcharges and increased treatment charges are addressing two different issues. The former is for longer term visitors who need to use the NHS, the second for short term visitors who visit the UK to use the NHS.

The fact that there is an identified £200 million health tourist bill makes it obvious that this surcharge being applied to other people that aren't health tourists is not covering the cost, and is not intended to.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pissflaps posted:

The fact that there is an identified £200 million health tourist bill makes it obvious that this surcharge being applied to other people that aren't health tourists is not covering the cost, and is not intended to.

The government certainly tried to pretend it is:

quote:

Ms May said the details of a charge for immigrants to use NHS services had yet to be worked out.

But she said: “It’s not fair for hardworking people if they see people able to come into the UK and access public services that they haven’t paid into and so we’re going to be introducing a health surcharge for certain categories of people coming into the UK and that’s what’s going to be in the bill. One of the things the NHS has always been quite bad at is charging people who they should be charging – people who don’t actually have a right to have free access to the NHS, and recovering those costs from them, and we’re going to improve the way that that will be done.”

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm not finding that quote particularly persuasive I'm afraid.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Labour's pro Brexit stance paying off in the polls

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/827535162070138881

Just 14 points in it. Have they taken them directly off UKIP?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I wonder what happened to noted UKMT leftist and all round good egg The Saurus?

https://twitter.com/jimpjorps/status/827526974646153216

Oh

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I've never really looked at the @britainelects Twitter feed before.

How do you decide which aggregated poll to post Pissflaps?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
2% is probably about the margin of error for a sample population of that size. Please stop wanking over meaningless statistical fluctuations

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

It is relevant because you're trying to portray it as a 'foreigner surcharge' when that is clearly not the case. Lots of foreigners are able to legitimately claim NHS treatment without additional charges. Your wife is not one of them.

My wife pays extra because she is a foreigner. The fact some other foreigners don't does not stop this being a surcharge on foreigners. And again this is an extra sum on top of the taxes that we all pay, her included.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 3, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Serotonin posted:

Oh

He's quite something.

Dead Goon posted:

I've never really looked at the @britainelects Twitter feed before.

How do you decide which aggregated poll to post Pissflaps?

What do you mean by 'aggregated poll'? That latest poll is from YouGov.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Serotonin posted:

Oh

Isn't he trying to emigrate to the States so he can mooch off his girlfriend? I don't remember the whole story.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

feedmegin posted:

My wife pays extra because she is a foreigner. The fact some other foreigners don't does not stop this being a surcharge on foreigners. And again this is an extra sum on top of the taxes that we all pay, her included.

I understand your plight.

big scary monsters posted:

Isn't he trying to emigrate to the States so he can mooch off his girlfriend? I don't remember the whole story.

He lives in America with her and is planning to ship his entire Corbyn-supporting, Brexit voting family out to be with him as soon as they've flipped their council house for a profit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

He already did that. He tried to sob story in here that his wife had to turn to sex work to pay for him to come over but actually it turns out that her aunt paid for him to move.

He sponged off his wife-to-be's aunt to move to the US and then whines about immigrants coming to the United States.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pissflaps posted:

He's quite something.

What do you mean by 'aggregated poll'? That latest poll is from YouGov.

My bad, Poll aggregator rather than Aggregated poll.

Still interested in your choice of poll result though.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Something a bit lighter for a Friday, that I've just spotted - John Bercow opens tennis dome at University of Essex.

quote:

Our impressive new tennis dome at Colchester Campus has been officially opened by alumnus and House of Commons Speaker the Rt Hon John Bercow MP.

Speaking at the opening, Mr Bercow fondly remembered his time at Essex, when he played for the University tennis team.

“It is a thrill to be here to see how magnificent this new facility is,” he said. “I am passionate about sport and the fact that the university is providing new facilities like this is wonderful thing.”

Accompanied by a top pic:

When later asked to explain the choice of hoodie, Bercow responded:

https://fuwa.se/p/FweRTK.webm

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Serotonin posted:

Oh

Did he really only get a 6 hour probation for that?

Pissflaps posted:

He's quite something.

He might have one of the strangest life stories of anyone I've ever come across. A very odd chap.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dead Goon posted:

My bad, Poll aggregator rather than Aggregated poll.

Still interested in your choice of poll result though.

I think that's the only one that's 'none commentary'.

Your question suggests I'm choosing polls that reinforces my existing opinions - do you know of alternative ones that might challenge them?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don't trust polling data anymore. The largest voting block now has a way of not answering the phone if a number they don't know comes up, and because of the sheer quantity of people on the high street hawking for charities or phone companies they totter quickly away from anyone holding a clipboard.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I believe the majority of polls are online or over the telephone so your chugger effect isn't really an issue.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Baron Corbyn posted:

Did he really only get a 6 hour probation for that?

Six hours is what you get before an admin turns up and bans you, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/827540698777939970

• Locked thread