Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

(by spacing arrivals out to reduce the huge AM and PM rushes)

This is the root cause of a shockingly high percentage of delays at most airports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Ahhh... finally did a practice diversion up to commercial flight test standard. Followed by a rather poo poo crosswind landing (straight, but fairly off-centre), but still, I'll take my wins where I can get them.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
On my first practice diversion I was taken up by our most junior instructor who hadn't done a ton of flying in the area yet and seeing as the field I was diverting to wasn't terribly far away we decided to go all the way while working on a few things and do a touch and go.

Neither of us noticed in the CFS that the field is PPR. :ohdear:

Fortunately everyone here apparently knows everyone else so our head instructor said not to worry about it and he'd apologize profusely on our behalf if they called to chew us out.

Won't be making that mistake again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

On my first practice diversion I was taken up by our most junior instructor who hadn't done a ton of flying in the area yet and seeing as the field I was diverting to wasn't terribly far away we decided to go all the way while working on a few things and do a touch and go.

Neither of us noticed in the CFS that the field is PPR. :ohdear:

Fortunately everyone here apparently knows everyone else so our head instructor said not to worry about it and he'd apologize profusely on our behalf if they called to chew us out.

Won't be making that mistake again.

Yeah, everyone fucks up something like that at least once. The good part is: my guess is the experience was sufficiently embarrassing that neither you nor your instructor will ever make that particular mistake again.

There's only three public airports within a reasonable distance at Springbank (and even then, you basically have time to go out, do a touch and go, and come back during a normal-length booking) so all our diversion practice is basically just picking a recognizable thing on the map and then flying to it. There's one closed PPR strip just south of the city, and another one that's still open just to the north, but we don't use those for training flights obviously.

My mental checklist on diversions is now almost second nature, but I was loving up headings and ETEs. I believe the difference between the private and commercial standard is that you're allowed to follow roads and landmarks for a diversion for your PPL, but you have to do it by dead reckoning "as if over barren terrain" for the CPL -- definitely makes things a bit trickier.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Canadian acronyms are terrible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Canadian acronyms are terrible.

Which ones are bothering you?

EDIT: I mean, PPL and CPL are the same in the US (and worldwide, no?), ETE is "estimated time enroute" which I presume is standard... so "PPR"? That's just Prior Permission Required. Is it designated differently in the US? Or (in EvilJoven's post) CFS, which I think is the equivalent of the AFD in the US.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 1, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Oh Jesus gently caress God, no.

http://wnewsj.com/news/34795/amazon-plans-1-4b-cvg-hub

TL;DR: it looks like Amazon just DHL'd Wilmington back into oblivion in favor of Yet Another Cargo Hub At CVG. I've got a friend going through IOE at ABX saying ILN's finished.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Comments section blame the Port Authority, not Amazon.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I think its likely Amazon chose to learn from DHL and Airborne Express. They used to bus people in from surrounding areas just to try and keep the airport staffed. You dont build a fedex size freight hub in a town of 12k people with all population centers an hour away.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CVG makes a lot of sense though doesn't it? Is delta even pretending it's a hub anymore? They used to have 3 passenger terminals, aren't they down to using barely half of one now? That airport can handle a lot more capacity than is being used.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Captain Apollo posted:

Comments section blame the Port Authority, not Amazon.

It still sucks for the area no matter who to point the finger at.

hobbesmaster posted:

CVG makes a lot of sense though doesn't it? Is delta even pretending it's a hub anymore? They used to have 3 passenger terminals, aren't they down to using barely half of one now? That airport can handle a lot more capacity than is being used.

Yes and no. DL still has a hub/mega-focus city there, complete with 763 service to CDG. It's nowhere near what it used to be, but it's no MEM/STL/CMH/CLE/PIT and still can be used for connections to a number of large or mid-sized cities with the notable exception of XNA because of P&G and Walmart. They've even added mainline there lately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati/Northern_Kentucky_International_Airport#Passenger

Concourse B is still all Delta, but they moved everybody else into A. The combination of that and explosive growth from both Allegiant and Frontier (who both have focus cities there), as well as the Southwest service poached from DAY, actually has them short on gate space; from what I've read on A.net, they're reactivating four gates for Southwest and that might not be enough.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oh, glad to hear CVG is having a renaissance of a sort, northern Kentucky needs it and last I heard it was bad.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

CBJSprague24 posted:

with the notable exception of XNA because of P&G and Walmart. They've even added mainline there lately.

I know p&g and Walmart were are less than happy with each other but I didn't realize it had gotten that bad. We're the xna<->cvg flights being subsidized by Walmart?

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
I am totally out of the loop, how is Amazon to work for so far compared to the cargo carriers?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh, glad to hear CVG is having a renaissance of a sort, northern Kentucky needs it and last I heard it was bad.

Yeah, it's good to see. I did laps on 18R on a weekday afternoon in a 172SP in 2012. It may get to where that can't happen anymore.

Beyond the stuff I posted about, they've had good fortune, sometimes at the expense of other airports. Frontier's service started as a direct result of them leaving CMH (they added CLE at the same time; CMH later got it back and then some) and later cost DAY their service. Southwest is also pulling down DAY to start CVG. UA runs CVG-SFO now, though it sounded like that was a pissing match answer for another service DL started at one of UA's hubs, while UA has also added mainline to DEN and AA mainline to DFW.

There are also the PSA maintenance and crew bases, Southern setting up shop, now Amazon. Lots of growth.

KodiakRS posted:

I know p&g and Walmart were are less than happy with each other but I didn't realize it had gotten that bad. We're the xna<->cvg flights being subsidized by Walmart?

I guess I phrased that in a weird way- CVG-XNA still operates and it's one of, if not THE, only non-major metro areas to still have service on DL to CVG. The tie exists because of Walmart.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

SCOTLAND posted:

I am totally out of the loop, how is Amazon to work for so far compared to the cargo carriers?

You dont work for Amazon (yet) Amazon contracts lift from ABX Air, ATI (both owned by the same parent company) and Atlas. The flying is, for now, quite a bit different than the hub turn stuff FedEx and UPS guys do, and there is a lot of daytime flying.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

greasyhands posted:

You dont work for Amazon (yet) Amazon contracts lift from ABX Air, ATI (both owned by the same parent company) and Atlas. The flying is, for now, quite a bit different than the hub turn stuff FedEx and UPS guys do, and there is a lot of daytime flying.

Yeah, if you watch FR24 or FlightAware in the morning hours (like 8-11AM EST), you'll see a handful of 767s leaving ILN. They even added an indicator on FR24 for ILN, which wasn't there until Amazon.

It's been warm and fuzzy to see 767s taking off from the middle of nowhere of SW Ohio again. :(

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I couldn't believe DL operated a CVG-CDG so I had to look it up myself.

Welp. It's $2400 round trip

I wonder if they sell out...

Welp.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Welp.

That route makes more sense if you think of it as a direct flight from GE Aviation hq to Europe.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Also the seat selection view doesn't necessarily reflect loads...

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
The very last vestige of the long-haul CVG hub. Air France flew a 747 into CVG back in the early 2000s, I guess for Delta onward connections. Had I not been on that flight once myself, I'd never believe it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Are you looking with less than 48 hours notice and using that as a representative fare on the route as a whole?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I used to fly CVG-FRA on Delta all the time in the mid 2000's. Always preferred it to flying into Atlanta as a connecting hub.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

a patagonian cavy posted:

The very last vestige of the long-haul CVG hub. Air France flew a 747 into CVG back in the early 2000s, I guess for Delta onward connections. Had I not been on that flight once myself, I'd never believe it.

CVG-CDG was twice daily in the early 2000s. AF A340 and DL 777 in the Summer of 2004 when I flew it.

Jealous Cow posted:

CVG had CDG, FRA, LGW, AMS, and FCO all nonstop in 2004.

That's not as random as PIT-CDG and RDU-CDG. And PHL-LHR, EWR-CDG, and ORD-CDG for that matter. They run all five. The CDG flights feed AF on the other end, but only RDU is a DL focus city. DL currently has a pants tent for RDU to the point where that flight was upgauged to a 763 this summer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pre northwest merger CVG was a major Delta hub on par with what DTW is currently so that shouldn't be surprising at all. It was also Comair's headquarters and they had an entire concourse (C) without jetways devoted to CRJs.

Post merger Northwest's MEM hub was killed and it was looking like CVG would be lucky to remain a focus city. I mean, Delta has hubs in ATL, DTW, LGA and MSP, it's kinda surprising they kept CVG.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CBJSprague24 posted:

That's not as random as PIT-CDG

What :lol:

That's a weird one.

I wish United would start up a route to Europe with a 789 or 737maxxxxxx or whatever from CLE.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Is the BA route LHR-PHX as random as I think it is?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

What :lol:

That's a weird one.

I wish United would start up a route to Europe with a 789 or 737maxxxxxx or whatever from CLE.

RDU and PIT used to be major hubs at one point and have major international industries to support some flights.

PHX is an American hub and BA is the same alliance.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

I don't think so. BA is OneWorld and PHX is an AA hub, and there is a lot of tech going on in Scottsdale. I know several people that live in the area that make heavy use of that flight. AUS-LHR too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BA, and KLM to a lesser extent, has a lot of flights to fairly small cities, I suppose because they are trying to leverage their European/Middle Eastern/etc. network. For example, I doubt there's huge demand for YYC-LHR or YEG/YYC-AMS for passengers ending up in either London or Amsterdam, but those flights are quite full whenever I take them because a lot of people are connecting onward to somewhere in Europe, Africa or the Middle East.

The BA routes that really stick out as odd in my mind are LHR-AUS and LHR-MCO.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

The BA routes that really stick out as odd in my mind are LHR-AUS and LHR-MCO.

London to Disney isn't that much of a stretch, is it?

Probably makes more sense than LGW-TPA but even when I took that flight club world was full.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

LHR-MCO

Go to disney. You'll understand.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

There are multiple Virgin 747s a day to MCO from LGW, MAN, and Glasgow to go along with sometimes twice daily BA 777s. And Thomas Cook A330s.

And all the Thomson stuff to SFB.

CMH has been teasing for a year the possibility of London nonstops in the near future. Whether it would be AA/BA to LHR or maybe Norwegian to LGW, I don't know.

carry on then posted:

It used to/might still continue to SAN.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 4, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

CBJSprague24 posted:

There are multiple Virgin 747s a day to MCO from LGW, MAN, and Glasgow to go along with sometimes twice daily BA 777s. And Thomas Cook A330s.

And all the Thomson stuff to SFB.

CMH has been teasing for a year the possibility of London nonstops in the near future. Whether it would be AA/BA to LHR or maybe Norwegian to LGW, I don't know.

It used to/might still continue to SAN.

Not when I flew it, BA 289 pulled up to Sky Harbor about 5PM and BA 288 left the gate at about 8PM. Makes sense though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Go to disney. You'll understand.

I know Disney and all that stuff is there, but I guess I just thought it wouldn't be that popular as to merit several direct flights from the UK.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

CVG-CDG was twice daily in the early 2000s. AF A340 and DL 777 in the Summer of 2004 when I flew it.

CVG had CDG, FRA, LGW, AMS, and FCO all nonstop in 2004.

That's not as random as PIT-CDG and RDU-CDG. And PHL-LHR, EWR-CDG, and ORD-CDG for that matter. They run all five. The CDG flights feed AF on the other end, but only RDU is a DL focus city. DL currently has a pants tent for RDU to the point where that flight was upgauged to a 763 this summer.

Not sure about the others, but ORD-CDG is just seasonal on Delta. I think 5 months of Delta and 7 of Air France

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Not sure about the others, but ORD-CDG is just seasonal on Delta. I think 5 months of Delta and 7 of Air France

That route makes sense to me, though -- it's a flight between two big and geopolitically important cities with a bunch of connections on each end.

Or it it just strange that it's DL/AF feeding into a major OneWorld hub in the US instead of wherever DL operates out of?

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

PT6A posted:

I know Disney and all that stuff is there, but I guess I just thought it wouldn't be that popular as to merit several direct flights from the UK.

It really is that popular. Growing up in the UK, everyone you know goes to Orlando.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

European views on what are the desirable places to visit in the USA are so loving baffling to me. Florida? Theme parks? Man, what a waste of time, no wonder everyone on that side of the pond thinks we're all retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pryor on Fire posted:

European views on what are the desirable places to visit in the USA are so loving baffling to me. Florida? Theme parks? Man, what a waste of time, no wonder everyone on that side of the pond thinks we're all retarded.

As a Florida Man, I agree with this statement.

• Locked thread