Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Would it be possible to get a posting of the Chili for the Chili Gods recipe--remember most the stuff, buty going to whip out another batch for Sunday. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Here's the real question though...

If Ben had to choose between living in a world without Wing Commander, or a world without junkfood, which would he choose?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Xaerael posted:

If Ben had to choose between living in a world without Wing Commander, or a world without junkfood, which would he choose?

.....................................................................................................zuh????????????????????????

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Xaerael posted:

Well, one of those cured his blindness so...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

First they wanted to steal the name as well :allears:

FUD! Instead of being the INN they wanted to be called the INN (but the acronym stood for something else entirely). That's a totally different name.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Megabound posted:

Counterpoint: In a world without Wing Commander, wouldn't Ben rather be blind, but chock full of Big Macs and Pizza?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Megabound posted:

Seems fitting for Crobberts , he only finished half the job and then gave up

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/issue-council/star-citizen-alpha?sort=newest

6 bug reports in the last 24 hours.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

I don't know why you keep doing this. It only shows how fast they're smashing bugs.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I don't know why you keep doing this. It only shows how fast they're smashing bugs.

I think you'll find there are no bugs to smash :colbert:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yes I am extremely mad about losing(?) something in EVE, a game I definitely played.

OwlofDoom
Feb 27, 2003

:gary:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Beet Wagon posted:

Yes I am extremely mad about losing(?) something in EVE, a game I definitely played.

It doesn't matter to them if their statements are true. It only matters that they could be true and make them feel better. Furthermore: you won't be able to prove that you haven't played Eve Online. Checkmate gooni.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

all goons play eve and mittens is the owner and creator of something awful. try to keep up.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm so goddamn angry about all these Eve

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I'm so goddamn angry about all these Eve

imo you should relax and enjoy the space views inside the wonderful and totally real space game called Star Citizen it will soothe your savage anger

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
zecumbe and tarkaroshe. Those are two individuals I will be glad to see lose all of their money when crobs takes this ship to the deep.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xaerael posted:

OK, so I'm still seething over the "Forefather" statement.

I'm going to say something that is in no way meant to be an exaggeration.

Asteroids on the Atari 2600 is a more realistic space sim than Wing Commander.

Stick that in your vape and huff it, you lovely wankhole citizens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Pr8yC8_F4

I'm going to archer my post from FDev forums to put “his” inventing the genre into perspective…

Cmdr Eagleboy posted:

This. When they started to taunt Chris as "teh creator of space sims", I remembered Wing Commander and was like...huh?

I was terminally bored, decided to take that quote very literally, and went out to see what kind of space sims were available before WC came out. :D

1980s(ish) first-person space games:

Star Raiders (1979) — Atari 2600/5600/8-bit, Atari ST
Cyber Strike (1980) – Apple II
Cylon Attack (1982) – BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum
Star Trek: Strategic Ops (1982) — Apple II, Arcade, Atari 2600/5200/8-bit, ColecoVision, C64, VIC-20
Star Voyager (1982) — Atari 2600
3D Starstrike (1984) — Amstrad, ZX Spectrum
Skyfox (1984) — Amiga, Amstrad, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, Mac, PC-88, ZX Spectrum
Star Trader (1984) — C64, ZX Spectrum
Star Luster (1985) — Arcade, NES
Tau Ceti (1985) — Amstrad, Atari ST, C64, Dos, ZX Spectrum
Total Eclipse (1985) — Dragon 32/64
Space School Simulator (1986) — Amiga, Amstrad, Atari ST, DOS, ZX Spectrum
Starglider (1986) — Amiga, Amstrad, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Mac, ZX Spectrum
Starstrike II (1986) — Amstrad, ZX Spectrum
Star Raiders II (1986) — Amstrad, Atari 8-bit, C64, ZX Spectrum
Rubicon Alliance (1987) — Amstrad, C64, ZX Spectrum
Skyfox II (1987) — Amiga, Atari ST, C64, DOS
Star Voyageer (1987) — NES
Starglider II (1988) — Amiga, Atari ST, DOS, Mac, PC-98, ZX Spectrum
Space Rogue (1989) — Amiga, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Mac, PC-98
Lightspeed (1990) — DOS

1980s(ish) non-FP space sims:

Invasion Orion (1979) — Apple II, Atari, PET/CBM, Trash-80
Project: Space Station (1985) — Apple II, C64, DOS
Starflight (1986) — Amiga, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Genesis, Mac
Starflight 2 (1989) — Amiga, DOS, Mac

…oh, and there was some weirdo obscure vector-graphics space game from 1984 too, but it probably isn’t worth mentioning.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

HycoCam posted:

Would it be possible to get a posting of the Chili for the Chili Gods recipe--remember most the stuff, buty going to whip out another batch for Sunday. Thanks!

You mean the one from the best chili thread ever? Here it is:

quote:

1 & 1/2 to 2 lbs of ground PORK (perfect way to uncover jews)
2 packages of french onion soup mix (be prepared for your chili to surrender)
2 tablespoons of chili powder (less if you're a baby, more if you're a man)
4 teaspoons of ground cumin (omit this and I will devour your soul)
1 teaspoon of black pepper (slightly racist)
1/2 teaspoon of salt (or none if you're heaving a heart attack right now)
6 ejaculations (squirts) of Tabasco sauce
1 21-ounce can of red beans and 1 21-ounce can of black beans (I have a dream)
2 6-ounce cans of tomato paste with garlic (regular tomato paste = you're an rear end in a top hat)
2 8-ounce cans of tomato sauce (real men need more than just paste)
1 yellow, orange or red pepper, chopped up (green peppers are Satan's taint)
1 package of sliced mushrooms (yes, you can slice your own mushrooms, smartass)

Instructions:

Put the meat in a huge chili pot and brown it over medium heat
Add 4 cups of water and the french onion soup mix. Stir and let simmer for 10 minutes
Stir in the spices and the Tabasco and simmer for another minute or two
Add the beans, the mushrooms and the chopped pepper
Turn to low and let simmer for at least 20 minutes, 40 is better, stirring every 5-10
Call your mother and tell her she's not allowed to hug you anymore

e: I had Star Raiders II. Got it free on the front of a copy of Your Sinclair. Still a better space game than Star Citizen, but then what isn't?

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 3, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I love me some Eve: Dangerous

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
They are reading the thread?

Hey, morons, come join in. You can insult Derek to his face instead of chattering to each other. It's just a loving video game. It's not a war anymore since everyone got the refunds they forced CIG to give. Just enjoy the ride.

Why do you think anyone really gives a poo poo about Derek's junk here? That part I can't fathom. The thread was the same before as after him. Were we all sleeper agents waiting to be activated?

C'mon. You already have the accounts and platinum. Your :10bux::10bux: isn't sunk just yet.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Tippis posted:

I'm going to archer my post from FDev forums to put “his” inventing the genre into perspective…

I was terminally bored, decided to take that quote very literally, and went out to see what kind of space sims were available before WC came out. :D

1980s(ish) first-person space games:

Star Raiders (1979) — Atari 2600/5600/8-bit, Atari ST
Cyber Strike (1980) – Apple II
Cylon Attack (1982) – BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum
Star Trek: Strategic Ops (1982) — Apple II, Arcade, Atari 2600/5200/8-bit, ColecoVision, C64, VIC-20
Star Voyager (1982) — Atari 2600
3D Starstrike (1984) — Amstrad, ZX Spectrum
Skyfox (1984) — Amiga, Amstrad, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, Mac, PC-88, ZX Spectrum
Star Trader (1984) — C64, ZX Spectrum
Star Luster (1985) — Arcade, NES
Tau Ceti (1985) — Amstrad, Atari ST, C64, Dos, ZX Spectrum
Total Eclipse (1985) — Dragon 32/64
Space School Simulator (1986) — Amiga, Amstrad, Atari ST, DOS, ZX Spectrum
Starglider (1986) — Amiga, Amstrad, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Mac, ZX Spectrum
Starstrike II (1986) — Amstrad, ZX Spectrum
Star Raiders II (1986) — Amstrad, Atari 8-bit, C64, ZX Spectrum
Rubicon Alliance (1987) — Amstrad, C64, ZX Spectrum
Skyfox II (1987) — Amiga, Atari ST, C64, DOS
Star Voyageer (1987) — NES
Starglider II (1988) — Amiga, Atari ST, DOS, Mac, PC-98, ZX Spectrum
Space Rogue (1989) — Amiga, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Mac, PC-98
Lightspeed (1990) — DOS

1980s(ish) non-FP space sims:

Invasion Orion (1979) — Apple II, Atari, PET/CBM, Trash-80
Project: Space Station (1985) — Apple II, C64, DOS
Starflight (1986) — Amiga, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Genesis, Mac
Starflight 2 (1989) — Amiga, DOS, Mac

…oh, and there was some weirdo obscure vector-graphics space game from 1984 too, but it probably isn’t worth mentioning.

Did these games double as a movie? Checkmate atheists.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I heard NASA started up after seeing Wing Commander.

Confirm/deny?

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
From http://www.glixel.com/interviews/expanse-writer-franck-on-star-citizen-mass-effect-3-w464385

quote:

When was the MMO deal going down?
Man, that was a long time ago. It was right around the same time World of Warcraft came out. The reason that The Expanse is sci-fi is because our feeling was there's no way to compete with World of Warcraft in the fantasy setting. We had to do something else. That's why we decided to go sci-fi. It would have been an incredibly ambitious game. EVE came out and it had the same sort of feel as what we wanted, but you never get out of your ship. Your character is a space ship. What we were proposing was more like... What's that one that they've been in development for a thousand years that was a giant Kickstarter?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

We can mock CR all we want for being the worlds shittiest project manager, but whining about lack of vision is really stretching it. Everything ever done is derivative of something else.

Whenever the thread start talking about how unoriginal SC is, I know its been a while since CIG has had a major fuckup and so any day now we'll get something new.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tippis posted:

There was also a weirdo obscure vector-graphics space game in arcades in 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXOTExRQJSE

The sit down cabinets had surround sound, they were the dog's bollocks.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

happyhippy posted:

I heard NASA started up after seeing Wing Commander.

Confirm/deny?

Until Wing Commander, everybody thought that celestial bodies existed on a firmament.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You can say Derek Shart with impunity citizens. Go for it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Derpy Snark

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Eldragon posted:

We can mock CR all we want for being the worlds shittiest project manager, but whining about lack of vision is really stretching it. Everything ever done is derivative of something else.

Whenever the thread start talking about how unoriginal SC is, I know its been a while since CIG has had a major fuckup and so any day now we'll get something new.

As if original ideas don't exist. Even just in execution of the same tired old tropes can you demonstrate vision.

Crobbler has an utter lack of vision. His idea for this game is a universe simulator. You can swap him and any teenager ideas guy and get the same result. Vision would have been successfully executing what they pretended were their original plans. Being the worlds shittiest project manager is secondary to the fact: even he has no idea what he is making.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

tooterfish posted:

There was also a weirdo obscure vector-graphics space game in arcades in 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXOTExRQJSE

The sit down cabinets had surround sound, they were the dog's bollocks.

That is bloody awesome. poo poo must have blown peoples minds. That is just like being in the movie(tm).

-----CAT FREE ZONE-----

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lurking redditors, I have been making fun of Derek since the 90s and you can do it too, right here, to his face. He will put you on his Posters I Have Been Defeated By list immediately but you can still crack jokes and sometimes people who haven't defeated him will quote them. Good times.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Eldragon posted:

His vision was to create a full space sim with 2 million dollars.
And he couldn't do that with 80 times as much.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Archered from the Elite Reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1D6gA9PssY

For £5 the two blokes will paint a message on their chests and dance.

https://www.fiverr.com/jungledrone/paint-your-message-and-dance-in-the-jungle

"Star Citizen ... Get A Refund"

"Derek Smart ... Was Right"

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

This is too far though. Reported

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

Archered from the Elite Reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1D6gA9PssY

For £5 the two blokes will paint a message on their chests and dance.

https://www.fiverr.com/jungledrone/paint-your-message-and-dance-in-the-jungle

"Star Citizen ... Get A Refund"

"Derek Smart ... Was Right"

Yessss

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sillybones posted:

That is bloody awesome. poo poo must have blown peoples minds. That is just like being in the movie(tm).

That was the first proper arcade cabinet game I played, and it had some epic bassy sound (much better than what the vid can reveal), had to wait in a queue to get to it in an arcade that still to this day exists and apparently still has the machine locked away in a basement :D

Good to see it being fondly remembered. :)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

lurking redditors, I have been making fun of Derek since the 90s and you can do it too, right here, to his face. He will put you on his Posters I Have Been Defeated By list immediately but you can still crack jokes and sometimes people who haven't defeated him will quote them. Good times.

I won't even ban you, probably!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Sillybones posted:

As if original ideas don't exist. Even just in execution of the same tired old tropes can you demonstrate vision.

Crobbler has an utter lack of vision. His idea for this game is a universe simulator. You can swap him and any teenager ideas guy and get the same result. Vision would have been successfully executing what they pretended were their original plans. Being the worlds shittiest project manager is secondary to the fact: even he has no idea what he is making.

I think it is the reverse: he has a good idea what he is making (i.e: his micromanagement and the "Art/graphics" first development), but his total incompetence at project management prevents anything from ever being completed. Having an idea is worthless, execution on the idea matters. CR can't manage that despite being given 100+ million to do so.

Everything Blizzard is famous for (Diablo, Warcraft, Overwatch, Starcraft) are totally unoriginal and derivative. There is not a single unique idea in anything Bliz has ever done. But the execution on those games is phenomenal so no one gives a gently caress.