Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I've never hit it Federally but I pretty consistently hit it in Maryland because Maryland. :marylandflagwithcryingcrab:

The glory of living in Washington State no dealing with state tax forms like when I was working in Oregon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Plenty of other people around the world would love the legal right to come to the US whenever they want so more room for them, win-win all around.

I don't think that's how that works

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zo posted:

100k isn't that much if you're a highly skilled worker demanded by overseas companies. tons of normal people get hit by this.

that's not to say they're hurting or anything, the ones i talk to see it as a dumb thing but can joke about it.

anyway I'm not american but i do enjoy making fun of my american buddies about this!

It's a $100k exemption though right? So you only pay the extra taxes on what you make above $100k but not on the $100k itself.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

It's a $100k exemption though right? So you only pay the extra taxes on what you make above $100k but not on the $100k itself.

Yeah but it doesn't restart the tax rates at 0, you pay at the same marginal rate you would back home for that income. So if you made $5k taxable, it would all be taxed at 28% not treated like you only made $5k.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
You may still be on the hook for FICA though, depending on your employment status and whether there's an agreement in place that whatever equivalent system you are paying into counts as an exclusion: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/social-security-tax-consequences-of-working-abroad

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Plus if you have a good expat gig, you probably get housing, a car, private schools and all manner of other taxable compensation paid for by your employer, in which case you cash comp gets used for your taxes and why is the HENRY guillotine being brought out?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

You may still be on the hook for FICA though, depending on your employment status and whether there's an agreement in place that whatever equivalent system you are paying into counts as an exclusion: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/social-security-tax-consequences-of-working-abroad

You get that back though because you're still eligible for social security benefits.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
One of my office mates bought some pens and gave everyone in the office one. They're nicer than the ones the company buys, but a pen is a loving pen. They were $12 for a box of 12. He's always complaining about how he has so many bills to pay though.

Not the most egregious waste of money, but it's part of a pattern of being bad with money that I've noticed in my short time in that office. (Like the lawyer fees from the time he got drunk, kicked out of a bar, ran into the street and punched a cabbie that stopped so he wouldn't hit him, and ended up getting arrested, or the time he put the wrong kind of fuel into his car while out of town and he had to pay a mechanic to fix it and the day and a half of work he missed from it.)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Like the lawyer fees from the time he got drunk, kicked out of a bar, ran into the street and punched a cabbie that stopped so he wouldn't hit him, and ended up getting arrested

Was this a work function, or does this guy think it's still cool to do the freshman year of college thing where you brag about how craaaazy it was last night when you got sooooo drunk?

Getting arrested for drunkenly assaulting a taxi driver is bad enough, but if that happened to me I would do my best to never let anyone at work know about it. How embarrassing and unprofessional.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BAE OF PIGS posted:

One of my office mates bought some pens and gave everyone in the office one. They're nicer than the ones the company buys, but a pen is a loving pen. They were $12 for a box of 12. He's always complaining about how he has so many bills to pay though.

This is the most ridiculous thing that has been posted in this thread.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Not the most egregious waste of money, but it's part of a pattern of being bad with money that I've noticed in my short time in that office. (Like the lawyer fees from the time he got drunk, kicked out of a bar, ran into the street and punched a cabbie that stopped so he wouldn't hit him, and ended up getting arrested)

This part is much better than the pen thing; BWM and a shithead.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I feel really sorry for the lawyer who had to try to put a positive spin on that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

This is the most ridiculous thing that has been posted in this thread.

You're obviously someone who doesn't appreciate the appeal of a fine writing instrument.

I myself enjoy a Parker Jotter, but being GWM I purchase all mine from India sellers on eBay for about half what they cost here. Oh, but look at me...humble bragging so.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gorman Thomas posted:

Goddamn America. At the risk of a humble brag, it's really hosed up that I've only been in the work force for 40 months and I have more retirement savings than the median retirement age American. Like, how are we going to deal with this as a nation?
The U.S. won't be alone in dealing with this. The situation seems to be that much worse up here in Canada. Nobody saves, up here. In fact, a poll found out that 34% of the people polled said that winning the lottery is their retirement plan.
And when I used to manage client accounts at a bank, most people scoffed at the idea and rolled their eyes at you if you dared to bring up the concept for saving for retirement. They'd either say, "Why would I invest when I have real estate?" and cross their arms with a :smug: look on their face, or "I'll be fine with CPP" (Canada's mandatory retirement savings program, which is poverty-level). And then they'd take out a loan to buy a new pickup truck.

Mark my words- there will be a retirement crisis in ~30 years.

tl;dr: most Canadians retirement plan is either winning the lottery, magically cashing in their home equity on their principal residence, or blindly hoping that CPP will still exist in 30-50 years.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 3, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

You're obviously someone who doesn't appreciate the appeal of a fine writing instrument.

Maybe :thejoke: but I meant that calling out a dozen $1 gifts to coworkers as BWM was ridiculous.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Can saying '100k is not that much' be bannable ITT? There really is no better way to signal how out of touch you are when you start complaining about the trials and tribulations of people 'only' making 100k.

I had no idea that there was a 100k exemption, but that seems like a pretty drat nice benefit for people that probably don't need it. If you don't understand why paying taxes when you are abroad, perhaps you should work on your critical thinking skills. You don't think ex-pats benefit from America's massive military and diplomatic power when you are working and living abroad?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

ate all the Oreos posted:

You ever seen Logan's Run? That, but your hand crystal starts glowing when your net worth crosses zero

There'll be a lot more college kids being killed then

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

n8r posted:

Can saying '100k is not that much' be bannable ITT? There really is no better way to signal how out of touch you are when you start complaining about the trials and tribulations of people 'only' making 100k.

I had no idea that there was a 100k exemption, but that seems like a pretty drat nice benefit for people that probably don't need it. If you don't understand why paying taxes when you are abroad, perhaps you should work on your critical thinking skills. You don't think ex-pats benefit from America's massive military and diplomatic power when you are working and living abroad?
BFCers make a lot of money. This is the audience you're speaking to:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766800

Pretty much no other country does this - surely british citizens and chinese citizens benefit from their respective militaries while abroad, and they don't pay taxes when not living in the country.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I want to know how the guy who makes 920k could possibly have a 5 figure negative net worth.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

melon cat posted:

The U.S. won't be alone in dealing with this. The situation seems to be that much worse up here in Canada. Nobody saves, up here. In fact, a poll found out that 34% of the people polled said that winning the lottery is their retirement plan.
And when I used to manage client accounts at a bank, most people scoffed at the idea and rolled their eyes at you if you dared to bring up the concept for saving for retirement. They'd either say, "Why would I invest when I have real estate?" and cross their arms with a :smug: look on their face, or "I'll be fine with CPP" (Canada's mandatory retirement savings program, which is poverty-level). And then they'd take out a loan to buy a new pickup truck.

Mark my words- there will be a retirement crisis in ~30 years.

tl;dr: most Canadians retirement plan is either winning the lottery, magically cashing in their home equity on their principal residence, or blindly hoping that CPP will still exist in 30-50 years.

Canada's personal debt and housing stats are insanely BWM in the long run. I'm not sure how the actual real world impacts will compare to the U.S., though. In the U.S. the retirement situation is slightly better, but medical bankruptcies are still the largest source of bankruptcy and old-age hardship. Canadians are mostly shielded from that and freed up to buy $2 million investment properties to use as their retirement.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe :thejoke: but I meant that calling out a dozen $1 gifts to coworkers as BWM was ridiculous.

Oh sure, I agree. Co-worker gifts can be GWM. My sweet contract job is ending and I'm totally spending $30 bringing the office coffee and doughnuts to make sure I leave a good taste in everyone's mouth.

That said, people who are BWM rarely bankrupt themselves on big purchases. It's death by a thousand cuts and it sounds like that guy cuts himself a lot.

n8r posted:

But $100k isn't that much for overseas work. No one leaves their home and families for months at a time to make $40k a year (military heroes excluded). And a decent number of those $100k+/year jobs since 9/11 involved some degree of personal risk. Since those are contract jobs you also get a premium since it's not steady work and peace could break out at any time. And even if it's not war related, for someone to fly your rear end overseas you need some pretty valuable skills that apparently locals don't have. Hence a premium.

A friend of mine worked as a military IT contractor and I think the deal was he couldn't be stateside more than X number of days during the year to get that $100k exemption. Which is a lot harder than you think when your job is in the desert and you miss your family. Spending extra time with his wife ended up being worth paying the extra tax.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Oh sure, I agree. Co-worker gifts can be GWM. My sweet contract job is ending and I'm totally spending $30 bringing the office coffee and doughnuts to make sure I leave a good taste in everyone's mouth.

Grapefruit juice is cheaper.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

H110Hawk posted:

Grapefruit juice is cheaper.

:boom:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

n8r posted:

Yeah- how much of your safety, respect and earning potential abroad is because you have a US passport and a degree from a US school and are the recipient of a US public education? How willing would your host country have been to let you in if your passport and degrees were from somewhere else? It's like people with no kids complaining about funding public schools "I don't have kids so I don't receive a benefit". One, you're a citizen, that means you pay taxes and taxes get spent on what we agree they get spent on. It's not an a la carte. Second, yes, every drat dollar of taxes gets spent to benefit you- public school graduates treat you at the doctor, road funds were used to repair the roads that the food you buy was transported to you on, foreign aid means that the world is more stable and your chances of being murdered on vacation is less. How much money gets saved by more efficient navigation and timekeeping due to GPS every year? Every tax dollar into that program returns 5 to 1 or better, and there's no shortage of programs that return 1.5 to 10x their monetary input or better.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Nail Rat posted:

I want to know how the guy who makes 920k could possibly have a 5 figure negative net worth.

That spreadsheet is outdated, said shlub's personal brand is now worth $4 billion

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I hadn't seen the net worth survey yet, exciting stuff. Wish I could have gotten it filled out when our net worth was almost negative one million.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 3, 2017

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Krispy Kareem posted:

That said, people who are BWM rarely bankrupt themselves on big purchases. It's death by a thousand cuts and it sounds like that guy cuts himself a lot.

But $100k isn't that much for overseas work. No one leaves their home and families for months at a time to make $40k a year (military heroes excluded). And a decent number of those $100k+/year jobs since 9/11 involved some degree of personal risk. Since those are contract jobs you also get a premium since it's not steady work and peace could break out at any time. And even if it's not war related, for someone to fly your rear end overseas you need some pretty valuable skills that apparently locals don't have. Hence a premium.

A friend of mine worked as a military IT contractor and I think the deal was he couldn't be stateside more than X number of days during the year to get that $100k exemption. Which is a lot harder than you think when your job is in the desert and you miss your family. Spending extra time with his wife ended up being worth paying the extra tax.

Hundreds of thousands of people work overseas for far less than 40k / year, the vast majority of them aren't Americans (see slave labor in the middle east). The test is 330 days abroad according to the IRS, so yeah I dunno that seems pretty fair.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

But $100k isn't that much for overseas work

This. This is the out of touch stuff.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Krispy Kareem posted:

Lmao seriously?

I know a few people working overseas from the states (and Canada) making around $40k. They're post-docs in astrophysics in Europe. Hell, even the software engineer I know thats an expat in Paris makes less than $100k USD a year.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
BWM: I moved states this year and I guess I have like a $500 state tax refund coming that would have been completely avoidable if I just read some drat tax code :shobon:

(thanks for existing, this thread, so I can complain to people who get it)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well then they should have got into the construction or defense positions that pay well. Sounds like those guys are just BWC (bad with careers).

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It sounds like income is pretty relative?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Uncle Enzo posted:

Yeah- how much of your safety, respect and earning potential abroad is because you have a US passport and a degree from a US school and are the recipient of a US public education? How willing would your host country have been to let you in if your passport and degrees were from somewhere else? It's like people with no kids complaining about funding public schools "I don't have kids so I don't receive a benefit". One, you're a citizen, that means you pay taxes and taxes get spent on what we agree they get spent on. It's not an a la carte. Second, yes, every drat dollar of taxes gets spent to benefit you- public school graduates treat you at the doctor, road funds were used to repair the roads that the food you buy was transported to you on, foreign aid means that the world is more stable and your chances of being murdered on vacation is less. How much money gets saved by more efficient navigation and timekeeping due to GPS every year? Every tax dollar into that program returns 5 to 1 or better, and there's no shortage of programs that return 1.5 to 10x their monetary input or better.

Anyone from anywhere can do my job, Switzerland does not rely on US military power for poo poo, it's actually more difficult to immigrate here with a US passport compared to others, my taxes here find a better health system, roads, public transport, etc., I pay tax here on all of my income (so I'm double taxed if I ever do go above the exemption, which isn't likely), and I pay for my passport at point of service. I want to keep living here and I'm happy to pay tax for the things I use. When I go home, there are plenty of airport, hotel and rental car taxes that I pay like all the other visitors. But I've also got to report every cent I have in any bank account to the loving Financial Crimes Enforcement Network every year for the high-risk activity of being American with a foreign bank account. Lots of banks here won't do business with Americans and mortgages and running your own business is a lot more complicated and expensive. It's bullshit, especially when businesses can avoid tax by pretending their money was made in Ireland or wherever.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It sounds like income is pretty relative?
Wait, you mean that not everyone is a programmer or engineer making six figures while living in San Francisco? :aaaaa:

It's kind of hilarious reading '100k isn't that much' posts when most people I know would claw your eyes out for that kind of money. It's the same sort of out-of-touch I see when tech unicorns make something that only works in the environment of SV, and are confused when it fails to revolutionize everything.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

ohgodwhat posted:

You're not really getting much of those benefits if you're living and working in another country...

My job is in meteorology and the US Government provides global weather models to anyone in the world for free and it's the backbone of my industry, so I have no issue filing taxes.

This 2015 article contains a funny anecdote:

quote:

Two years ago, my nephew was set to graduate from Maryland’s Towson University with a degree in political science. After six long years, both he and his parents were ready to breathe a sigh of relief—he had made it to the finish line.

They knew their son well. In fact, he was not burning the midnight oil in the library. As graduation day approached, all three of them were greeted with an unwelcome reminder of his distracted approach to school; my nephew could not march that spring because he was still three credits shy of the requirement. Holding up their son’s transcript, his adviser pointed out that he had taken the same economics course twice—one year apart. My nephew hadn’t noticed. When his exasperated parents demanded an explanation, all he could offer up was that the class had been taught by a different professor, and held in a different room. He got a B both times around.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Jesus loving Christ.

100k is not very much for some professions.

It is a lot for others.

Why do we have to do this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

Why do we have to do this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and

I think if we just said 101k in BFC instead of 100k, all the DnD search bots wouldn't get triggered and show up to get all irate about it every time.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

pig slut lisa posted:

Was this a work function, or does this guy think it's still cool to do the freshman year of college thing where you brag about how craaaazy it was last night when you got sooooo drunk?

Getting arrested for drunkenly assaulting a taxi driver is bad enough, but if that happened to me I would do my best to never let anyone at work know about it. How embarrassing and unprofessional.

It happened on a weekend, and he wasn't at work on Monday, and one of my coworkers was looking at the local news on his phone and saw his mug shot in the local crime section.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

What I really want to know is whether someone who makes $100K+ should be required to tip more at restaurants than someone who only :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sundae posted:

What I really want to know is whether someone who makes $100K+ should be required to tip more at restaurants than someone who only :fuckoff:

Yes.

• Locked thread