Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks like Khodorkovskiy-associated democracy and human rights activist, journalist Kara-Murza has got his second heavy metal poisoning in two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
These things happen

Too much sturgeon

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Mr Underhill posted:

And everything was made even better by being peacefully watched over by officer Lovely here for a couple of hours.

Please don't objectify the cold uncaring enforcers of your oligarchs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A few accounts of the recent violence outburst in Eastern Ukraine, in Russian.

E: Putin has gone out with claims that Ukrainian agression is meant to initiate dialogue with Trump, and Hillary was funded by Ukrainian oligarchs. :laffo:

E2:

https://twitter.com/TomBurridgebbc/status/826812407225909249

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 2, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

alex314 posted:

Good luck Romanian Goons!

Poland is so hosed I won't even bother posting details.

I'm glad I was able to spend nine months there in 07-08 before it went completely to poo poo. :3:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My only meaningful Polish story is pretending to be deaf to by cigarettes without showing passport.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
3peat has been very quiet about these protests. He's probably among soccer hooligans...

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Just got back from protesting in my small town of 150,000 for the 3rd time in a row.

First night - 150 people. Second night - 6000. Tonight they say there were 10,000. I'm personally a bit skeptical but there were a heck of a lot more than yesterday.

After several days of more than 400,000 people protesting the decriminalization of abuse of office under 45k Euros worth of damages, the head honcho of the ruling party came out and said they won't give in to pressure and hold on to the bullshit ordinance that basically kills all the progress the anti-corruption services have been making in more than a decade.

The US, Germany, Belgium, France have all expressed their concern for such an obvious and vicious attack toward justice perpetrated by these evil fucks. For now, the evil fucks are bluffing and they say they're going through with it. It's 9 days until this abomination of an emergency ordinance goes into effect.

Well, all we can do is go out and protest more. What's heartwarming is that people are now taking to the streets even in the smallest towns. In the small town of a couple of thousands, close to me, there was 1 solitary protester guarded by 3 security officers.

90,000 protested in Bucharest alone tonight. And it's only Thursday. A lot more people are expected to take to the streets during the week-end. People are going to travel to Bucharest to protest and try and paralyze the capital city so they can get their attention. If I didn't live 12 loving hours away I would too.

This was tonight in my hometown:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is it possible that the EU could stop sending structural funds because the new act violates EU legislation (I don't know for certain it does, but I imagine it's a good possibility)?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Is it possible that the EU could stop sending structural funds because the new act violates EU legislation (I don't know for certain it does, but I imagine it's a good possibility)?
Yea, the funding is usually granted on the grounds of regulatory compliance.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The US envoy to the UN, confirmed by the Republican Senate and chosen by Trump, affirms commitment to anti-Russian sanctions. They will last as long as Crimea is occupied.

http://www.rferl.org/a/us-senate-confirms-nikki-haley-ukraine-sovereignty-crimea-advocate-un-ambassador/28255930.html

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Flat out legalizing corruption seems like a ballsy move. What's thier spin on this? Corruption in small amounts is just part of their culture? How are they selling this? Or are they past the point of thinking they need to sell things to the electorate?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

The US envoy to the UN, confirmed by the Republican Senate and chosen by Trump, affirms commitment to anti-Russian sanctions. They will last as long as Crimea is occupied.

http://www.rferl.org/a/us-senate-confirms-nikki-haley-ukraine-sovereignty-crimea-advocate-un-ambassador/28255930.html

That'd be the Ambassador's honest position, but she isn't the one making those decisions.

Meanwhile Russian artillery fire on Avdiivka is continuing, hitting humanitarian aid/heating point there and killing a rescue worker and a regular citizen elsewhere.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, there's been talk of that. It's hard to discern correctly because news changes super fast and there's a torrent of information that only seems to grow in speed and intensity.

Baronjutter posted:

Flat out legalizing corruption seems like a ballsy move. What's thier spin on this? Corruption in small amounts is just part of their culture? How are they selling this? Or are they past the point of thinking they need to sell things to the electorate?

They are not selling it. Not trying to sell it. Passed it off as an emergency ordinance in the middle of the night and prayed that people would let that poo poo slide. Well, we're not. Their attitude is basically gently caress you, we have the power, nyah nyah nyah. It's not gonna fly though.

What's been super nice is that protesters and security officers have been giving each other flowers. I mean probably most of them agree with people protesting this bullshit and they're just doing their jobs. No violent incidents tonight, which proves the retards who clashed with the govt. forces were paid thugs. Some tried to start poo poo tonight but they were arrested before they could do anything.

Al Jazeera article. They're live from Victory Square in Bucharest atm.

A blog post from an American who used to live in Romania and moved to Ukraine.

quote:

In other words, if you’re going to piss off the Romanian people, do it when the weather is nice!

But so far things are super peaceful.

This is the one security officer who got hurt yesterday:

My home town:

These lyrics from a Romanian rock band became the de facto slogan of most anti-establishment protest, ever since the horrible accident at Colectiv.

Image below explained: the absolute retards running the party's propaganda spewing machine of a TV famously claimed that Soros of all people payed everyone who protested: 100 lei per adult, 50 lei per kid and 30 per dog. No, they actually loving said that. That of course saw people bringing dogs wearing "where's my money bitch" signs, I saw a couple of cats held up in the air, and this guy here apparently expects 500 lei because, come on, giraffe:

General attitude right now: ("The gens d'armes are just doing their job")

I dunno, I thought this was pretty funny:

Officer Lovely receiving some flowers. Damnit, kid, that should've been me!

And finally, this image sums it all up:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OddObserver posted:

That'd be the Ambassador's honest position, but she isn't the one making those decisions.

Meanwhile Russian artillery fire on Avdiivka is continuing, hitting humanitarian aid/heating point there and killing a rescue worker and a regular citizen elsewhere.

The people making the shot are not Trump, though, they are the Congress, and rhe Congress is full of anti-Russian Republicans who support the same position as this envoy.

E: Or maybe not, it appears sanctions are among the things Americans in their wisdom passed onto the President.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Baronjutter posted:

Apparently they claim the prisons are overcrowded and they are merely looking to amnesty people caught for an array of lesser crimes.

It's just that it includes graft up to 34 times the average salary.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

3peat has been very quiet about these protests. He's probably among soccer hooligans...

I've completely lost hope and interest in romanian politics and im spending my free time playing mapgames and pondering what's the best dumpster fire to emigrate to, Italy or France

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

3peat posted:

I've completely lost hope and interest in romanian politics and im spending my free time playing mapgames and pondering what's the best dumpster fire to emigrate to, Italy or France

when your best option is france or italy, you know you're hosed

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

when your best option is france or italy, you know you're hosed
European emigration prospects wrt Romance languages are somewhat stale even if you can get employment in Switzerland.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

There were about 90.000 people out in Bucharest today and I was very glad to see so many coming out after last night's protests ended with football hooligan violence. Today's protests were entirely peaceful, the atmosphere was great. The police were on their best behavior and the protesters cleaned up the square after themselves. What's even more impressive is the great number of people who came out in other cities: 25.000 in Timisoara, 25.000 in Cluj, 10.000 in Constanta, and in smaller numbers all across the country. We're expecting greater numbers of people over the weekend and I hope everything goes well.

Here's a bonus picture of the cutest protester I encountered when I was on my way to the square:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When the government is corrupt and thinks they can just legalize corruption without caring what people think, maybe a strictly peaceful protest isn't going to accomplish anything? Hope it does though. But generally you need flaming walls of tires and makeshift armour to change a corrupt government's mind.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Cugel the Clever posted:

There a version of this showing a longer timespan than just the week? Would be more useful as proof that the call and the spike have a causal relation.

steinrokkan posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/..._medium=twitter

still, some sanctions came off today.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Who's a good dog protesting against government corruption? You are! Yes, you are! :3:

Apparently the EU has already threatened to cut Romania's funding if this thing goes through. Hopefully, that combined with political pressure from these protests should deter them from doing this one stupid thing. Godspeed Romaniagoons!

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Baronjutter posted:

When the government is corrupt and thinks they can just legalize corruption without caring what people think, maybe a strictly peaceful protest isn't going to accomplish anything? Hope it does though. But generally you need flaming walls of tires and makeshift armour to change a corrupt government's mind.

I see your point and a part of people protesting are considering it, but one of the things that indignated people the most and made them take to the streets is just how backwards and wild wild East-like this kind of bullshit makes us look like as a country. We're not Russia, we're not Ukraine, this isn't a country where oligarchs can just rule and do whatever they feel like doing and the only way to take them down is through violence. Not yet. Violence would just show that democracy isn't working here, and the fact is that it has, and it must keep working. Granted, there are huge levels of endemic corruption compared to Western Europe, but the spirit of democracy penetrated surprisingly well, especially since we got into EU more than 10 years ago and people could finally freely go abroad and see what Western civilization really is about. And they dig it, and they don't want to let it go.

Nothing against Russians as a people, they're a great nation and all that, but they've hosed us over for decades now, and people are generally scared and angry at being pulled in that general direction. The govt keeps reassuring everyone that they're in constant talk with the US and reaffirming the strategic partnership blah blah but people are not buying it. The more easily corruptible the power structures are, the easier they'll be penetrated by pro-Russian and anti-Western elements. We're all seeing what's happening with our brothers in Moldova and, while sadly we can't do anything about it - huge Stockholm Syndrome epidemic over there - we do NOT want to go there. And while violence might seem to be the answer, people are holding back because these chucklefucks are already making us look like a banana republic, and the last thing we need now is bloodshed on top of it.

Well, for now, at least - if the 8 days left pass and the ordinance isn't repealed, God knows what's gonna happen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

In this case this very well may - it isn't a protest against a military junta backed by a corrupt security force or something, it's about a piece of legislation so unpopular even the cops seem to be on the side of the protesters. If the protests can show a total disintegration of government's authority, by this melding of government coercive institutions with dissent, it will be more powerful than a confrontation between two sides (which is probably what the government would like, as it would keep them in control of the situation).

Or in other words, a peaceful protest like this can bring the strong arm of government to join the demonstrations, instead of crushing them.

I was thinking about this earlier in the context of American protests, and how the pressure there from the left is to foster violence. The difference, I think, comes from the different structure of media and state force in the US vs. European countries. The American media is incredibly complacent in supporting the status quo not necessarily consciously, but at least by putting the least possible amount of effort into covering events outside the routine events - if something doesn't conform with the daily schedule and expectations of reporters, it is going to be downplayed and cherry picked to hell because of a systemic bias. So violence is a way to shake up things enough that the press has no choice but to pay attention, and even if the resulting coverage is negative, it is better than no coverage at all. Not that European media coverage is much better, but countries in Europe are more compact and homogeneous, and therefore the permeation of events and information is greater, and people are more likely to be talking about the same issues at the same time. Additionally American police and other government workers are much more isolated from the public in many ways, than they are in Europe. The police are more militarized, and desensitized; they can come from many different places so they don't feel connection to the issues people are protesting against; they know they can do anything with impunity; the civil workers are kept in a virtual ivory tower of elites in the form of DC, a freak city that breeds freaks and is completely and by design detached from the world. So again, violence is a way to at least partially make yourself visible to people who otherwise can comfortably keep you out of sight. And finally, while in the current protests in America the public is divided, like it or not, and a large portion of the country is on the side of the administration, so confrontation is going to happen, and shying away from it is just shooting yourself in the foot.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 3, 2017

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Ratpick posted:

Apparently the EU has already threatened to cut Romania's funding if this thing goes through. Hopefully, that combined with political pressure from these protests should deter them from doing this one stupid thing. Godspeed Romaniagoons!

Who said it? To my knowledge there has never been a serious mention by relevant authorities of withdrawal of structural funds in any previous cases. Not with Poland, not with Hungary, not with Greece.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

catfry posted:

Who said it? To my knowledge there has never been a serious mention by relevant authorities of withdrawal of structural funds in any previous cases. Not with Poland, not with Hungary, not with Greece.

Vice president of the commission http://www.politico.eu/article/romania-graft-move-could-affect-eu-funds-timmermans-warnsm-corruption-protests/

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
You know major poo poo is going down in Bucharest when RT is streaming it live.

90,000 100,000 people in front of the govt building, and people are still coming in droves.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 3, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm reading today's news from Belarus and :eyepop: there's a flurry of Lukashenko taking piss at Russia both along and across.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm reading today's news from Belarus and :eyepop: there's a flurry of Lukashenko taking piss at Russia both along and across.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/belarus-threatens-to-prosecute-russian-food-safety-official/

I didn't know Russia had halved the oil exports into Belarus.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah, suddenly the Perfectly Safe Belarusian Beef turned into Dangerous for Your Health Bootleg West European and Ukrainian Beef.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

And Belarus owes Russia half a billion. Batka don't have that kind of money.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
The debt is going to be paid in land

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Another Luhansk leader killed in a series of recent Donbass assassinations.

https://twitter.com/InfoResist/status/827778093427412992

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Another Luhansk leader killed in a series of recent Donbass assassinations.

https://twitter.com/InfoResist/status/827778093427412992
All is left is for Putin to make a remark in SBU's effectiveness when it comes to murdering Russians.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Godspeed Romanians!

Meanwhile in Poland: Sopot, a tiny resort town of 40K people located next to Gdańsk, is the country's wealthiest municipality, thanks to massively disproportionate tourist/entertainment income and all the rich people having second homes there. Having basically run out of ideas for things to do with their money, the city council decided to be good people and relocate 10 orphaned child refugees from Syria to the town. It's a tiny, symbolic drop in the ocean, but still nice in the awful anti-immigrant atmosphere, right? Well, they asked the central government for permission, basically saying "okay so we can save ten orphaned children from a war zone, we're pretty rich for a small town so we'll cover every penny of the costs, just give the green light for them to enter the country".

The government said no, citing administrative difficulties and security concerns. How loving evil and racist can you get? :(

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

Godspeed Romanians!

Meanwhile in Poland: Sopot, a tiny resort town of 40K people located next to Gdańsk, is the country's wealthiest municipality, thanks to massively disproportionate tourist/entertainment income and all the rich people having second homes there. Having basically run out of ideas for things to do with their money, the city council decided to be good people and relocate 10 orphaned child refugees from Syria to the town. It's a tiny, symbolic drop in the ocean, but still nice in the awful anti-immigrant atmosphere, right? Well, they asked the central government for permission, basically saying "okay so we can save ten orphaned children from a war zone, we're pretty rich for a small town so we'll cover every penny of the costs, just give the green light for them to enter the country".

The government said no, citing administrative difficulties and security concerns. How loving evil and racist can you get? :(

Extremely evil and intensely racist. And they have the gall to say they're the guardians of Christian values in Europe.

Honestly the situation in this country is too depressing to even write about. I try not to think about it anymore because I feel the roof access hatch of my blok beckoning to me whenever I do. I may actually have to give up my career and move back to the U.S. if this continues, but even the U.S. is insane right now. The world feels increasingly like its spiraling towards some dramatic calamity.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

A Pale Horse posted:

Extremely evil and intensely racist. And they have the gall to say they're the guardians of Christian values in Europe.

Honestly the situation in this country is too depressing to even write about. I try not to think about it anymore because I feel the roof access hatch of my blok beckoning to me whenever I do. I may actually have to give up my career and move back to the U.S. if this continues, but even the U.S. is insane right now. The world feels increasingly like its spiraling towards some dramatic calamity.

Whatever you do, don't scroll down to the comments under an article about it. I already made that mistake - to make it worse I did it five minutes after my sister told me the news from my father's workplace (Of course we won't fire a 60 year old with a spotless record and a heart condition just for working for the wrong police force 28 years ago. We'll just give him ALL THE NIGHT SHIFTS until he quits).

Welp, thank the gods for a girlfriend that works in international recruitment...

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

RedSnapper posted:

(Of course we won't fire a 60 year old with a spotless record and a heart condition just for working for the wrong police force 28 years ago. We'll just give him ALL THE NIGHT SHIFTS until he quits).

Funny how this always happens with the FOR THE PEOPLE governments. You'd think there is nothing more FOR THE PEOPLE than serving in the police and you'd think there is nothing a REAL PATRIOTIC government would revere more than its elderly, but nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

RedSnapper posted:

Whatever you do, don't scroll down to the comments under an article about it.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that you should never read comments section.