Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

hirvox posted:

Artorias and Sif form the base of their lore, but phase two did remind me of Lady Maria, who also gains a lot more range and lingering effects from swings as the fight progresses.

Check out the DLC if you want a fight similar to hers.

Anyway Yhorm stuff;

He's not a DS2 giant. He has a face, and a far more typically humanoid build. That being said, my favorite thing about Dark Souls 3 is its story, or rather stories. Each segment of the game is a small microcosm of the world with its own story that ties to the other games, though mostly to the first one, and you can basically piece together a timeline of sorts based on various item descriptions. Each of the four lords has their own story that's fairly interesting in its own right and gets even better when you start factoring in the NPCs and locations like a puzzle.

Exit Strategy posted:

Guardians: We will kick your poo poo in, stomp both you and your enemies into powder on the battlefield, then loot your corpses and dance through their remains while doing speeder-bike tricks for giggles.
After reading the codex entries the Cabal became my favorite faction. My favorite one is the one where a squad of cabal are just losing their poo poo because they can't kill guardians and they're complaining about how ghosts just keep reviving them no matter how many times they get shot, but they can't figure out how to kill the ghosts.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 11:58 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

I just started playing Alpha Protocol. I got it on the xmas Steam sale because of all the hype it gets here.

I guess saying I like it for the dialogue is kind of like saying I liked Jurassic Park for the dinosaurs, but it's a lot of fun. Coming from Dragon Age 2, I love that when I pick the 'Suave' option, it's often subtle and usually appropriate. in DA2, if you picked the irreverent option, Hawke - every time - would cock up one eyebrow and make a joke that felt completely out of place.

I just saved myself a trip to the 'dragging games down' thread, I guess.

I maintain that playing the suave option is the only way to play through DA2. It's hilariously sociopathic.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Nuebot posted:

After reading the codex entries the Cabal became my favorite faction. My favorite one is the one where a squad of cabal are just losing their poo poo because they can't kill guardians and they're complaining about how ghosts just keep reviving them no matter how many times they get shot, but they can't figure out how to kill the ghosts.

I always kinda feel a little sorry for the Cabal. Everyone else uses what is almost literally space magic to amp up their abilities and their tech and the Cabal are just big dudes with big guns and big tanks and they really have no idea how to deal with the war they've stumbled into, but they were almost managing to cope.

And then the Taken King showed up and sent them completely off the rails.

I also love that they have no concept of ghosts, so their term for the Guardian's Ghost is literally "Dead Person".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Polaron posted:

I always kinda feel a little sorry for the Cabal. Everyone else uses what is almost literally space magic to amp up their abilities and their tech and the Cabal are just big dudes with big guns and big tanks and they really have no idea how to deal with the war they've stumbled into, but they were almost managing to cope.

And then the Taken King showed up and sent them completely off the rails.

I also love that they have no concept of ghosts, so their term for the Guardian's Ghost is literally "Dead Person".

But on the other hand, their response to everything is just to throw bigger ships and tanks at it. I think at the end of this, or the last, big dungeon thing one of the NPCs mentions that word of how you wrecked the cabal poo poo that hard got out to the rest of the fleet. So if there's ever a cabal raid it'll probably be on a moon sized tank or something just floating in space. Kind of a bummer that of all things they made the last expansion about the fallen. The hive are the least interesting enemies in that game, but the writers never really capitalize on the interesting bits of the fallen's writing. The most interesting thing to do with them is Variks, and he's just an old guy who laments how the traveler just completely hosed his people over and he's basically the only one who's going to be able to pick up the pieces now that everyone else is dead, or probably going to be dead for opposing the guardians.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Destiny in general is dragged down by its lack of story content, there's clearly so much they could do with the different factions that haven't been done. Here's to hoping Destiny 2 picks up the ball.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Biplane posted:

Destiny in general is dragged down by its lack of story content, there's clearly so much they could do with the different factions that haven't been done. Here's to hoping Destiny 2 picks up the ball.

It's weird because there is a story, and some of it is actually really cool with some cool implications and ideas. But it's literally all hidden in an out of game website. All in favor of super monotonous gameplay that literally never changes from start to finish.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

Anyway Yhorm stuff;

He's not a DS2 giant. He has a face, and a far more typically humanoid build. That being said, my favorite thing about Dark Souls 3 is its story, or rather stories. Each segment of the game is a small microcosm of the world with its own story that ties to the other games, though mostly to the first one, and you can basically piece together a timeline of sorts based on various item descriptions. Each of the four lords has their own story that's fairly interesting in its own right and gets even better when you start factoring in the NPCs and locations like a puzzle.

Yeah, I remembered a bit late that Yhorm lacked both the hole-for-a-face (although in-game there's such little definition to his face you can't tell) and the enormous weakness to fire of the DS2 giants. He does fight like them though, and his story places him in the same position as the DS2 giants, if not literally.

EDIT: ...You know what, I'm gonna put the design of the giants as a great little thing about DS2. It actually takes them a while to let you know that they are giants, but you do see a few of them in the Forest of Fallen Giants. You just sort of dismiss them as part of the scenery until you fight the Last Giant, but then it starts to click. That unusual yet inconspicuous look of the headless torso with a hole for a face starts standing out, and then you start realizing that those aren't trees.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Feb 3, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I remembered a bit late that Yhorm lacked both the hole-for-a-face (although in-game there's such little definition to his face you can't tell) and the enormous weakness to fire of the DS2 giants. He does fight like them though, and his story places him in the same position as the DS2 giants, if not literally.

I do think he is a homage to them in some way, much like how I'm certain Wolnir is meant to be a stand in for the dark souls 2 player character. It's just too coincidental to have 2's extended story be about your character gathering crowns and walking away from the throne, then to have this guy show up and his backstory be "he had a magical crown made from four crowns, was afraid the abyss would hunt him down and eat him."

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I've been listening to a dark souls podcast and they were talking about how there are giants like the blacksmith in anor londo and sens fortress and there are Giants like the ones in DS2 and it seems like there's a distinction between the types. like how there's fire in the world as an element and then there's the Fire that's the source of life.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

they're totally different in every way apart from the name, which is, uh, weird, but Dark Souls

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

graybook posted:

Content: Having moved on to later installments in the Ace Attorney series, I really appreciate how the repackaged original trilogy lets you speed up text. I just wish I could do that in the later games on the first time some text comes up.

If it helps, you'll get that option back when you get to the 3DS games, though you have to turn it on in the options I think. You can also speed up any text you've been over before, as little as that comes up.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

they're totally different in every way apart from the name, which is, uh, weird, but Dark Souls

Thank god that never happens in real life. poo poo would get real confusing real fast.
They big.

Another favourite little thing in RE7: the story is pretty well set up for a lot of information to make more sense in replay once you know the full context.
Also they did an amazing job with the acting and character writing. That is flat out unusual for a Resident Evil.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff
My favorite thing about Dark Souls lore is when I get close to understanding any of it, I just parry and riposte that sucker for massive damage! 1,700+ hours in the series and I have no idea what the hell is going on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Lavender posted:

I just started playing Alpha Protocol. I got it on the xmas Steam sale because of all the hype it gets here.

I guess saying I like it for the dialogue is kind of like saying I liked Jurassic Park for the dinosaurs, but it's a lot of fun. Coming from Dragon Age 2, I love that when I pick the 'Suave' option, it's often subtle and usually appropriate. in DA2, if you picked the irreverent option, Hawke - every time - would cock up one eyebrow and make a joke that felt completely out of place.

I just saved myself a trip to the 'dragging games down' thread, I guess.

There is a character you can kill early if, and only if, you have been a tremendous douche the whole time. Not just to him. If you're an rear end in a top hat to just him he knows you're trying to rile him up. You need to be an absolute nonserious cock to everyone, and he will stay and fight you to the death instead of peacing out during his boss fight.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ok I am really, really easily pissed off at games where you die a lot but at this point I feel like I need to try a dark souls game. Which one should I play first?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

DS1. It's the best of the three, probably, and the later ones have quality of life improvements (rolling in any direction rather than the cardinal ones, better fps, using multiple soul items at once, etc) that will be really annoying to lose.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Son of Rodney posted:

Ok I am really, really easily pissed off at games where you die a lot but at this point I feel like I need to try a dark souls game. Which one should I play first?

1 and 3 are probably the best bets. 2 has some nasty changes for beginners (hope you didn't want to jump down more than five feet anywhere) and is more of a side-story to 1 and 3; Demon's Souls is showing a bit of age; and Bloodborne has an entirely different combat style that rewards aggressive play over defense. (There's only one basic shield in the game. Most offhands are guns, which you use to stun enemies to stop their attacks instead of blocking.) I'd go 1 myself because I think it's a bit more straightforward than 3, but 3 has some fun stuff like a better co-op system.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Son of Rodney posted:

Play ds1 first. Good slow weighty combat. As the other guy said the quality of life stuff makes it hard to go backwards. Two and three really pick up the pace of combat.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nuebot posted:

It's weird because there is a story, and some of it is actually really cool with some cool implications and ideas. But it's literally all hidden in an out of game website. All in favor of super monotonous gameplay that literally never changes from start to finish.

Yeah I love what story there is and spent hours hunting down all the Ghosts. Its weird to me that they don't hire some halfway competent scifi writer to pump out some Destiny novels expanding on the universe, like they did with Halo. I'd buy all of them :stare:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Son of Rodney posted:

DS1. DS3 is more streamlined in level design but it draws a lot from DS1 lore and some reveals won't have the same impact for newcomers.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

If this is the case then probably avoid the series in general, but if you're determined then definitely dark souls 1. It will be the cheapest (has been on sale for $5 I believe) and the games are fine when played in order, if you end up liking it and want to play them all.

Note that if you get it on PC, you will want a mod called DSfix and a controller.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Rumors are circulating that Destiny 2 will focus on the Cabal, FWIW.

The Books of Sorrow were really one of the best parts of The Taken King, it's exactly the sort of epic half-SF/half-mythology flavor they promised all along. It's far from the first game to have you unlock a whole text piecemeal while exploring, but the way it's written and gradually comes together to explain not only the expansion's backstory but other aspects of the lore was masterful.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Yeah, DS1 for sure- it's the lowest cost investment if you end up hating the experience, and in some ways it's still the best at what it does of any in the series.

If on PC, get yourself a gamepad.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

Rumors are circulating that Destiny 2 will focus on the Cabal, FWIW.

The Books of Sorrow were really one of the best parts of The Taken King, it's exactly the sort of epic half-SF/half-mythology flavor they promised all along. It's far from the first game to have you unlock a whole text piecemeal while exploring, but the way it's written and gradually comes together to explain not only the expansion's backstory but other aspects of the lore was masterful.

Books of Sorrow were for sure rad but the Hive are so 2015. If D2 is all about the Cabal I am glad they've been criminally underused. The whole Cabal backstory is so melancholy sorta like the Hive but approached from the other direction.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

AlphaKretin posted:

If it helps, you'll get that option back when you get to the 3DS games, though you have to turn it on in the options I think. You can also speed up any text you've been over before, as little as that comes up.

That's good to know.
Going through the first Investigations game now and it's very interesting; Edgeworth's Logic feature is cool, but everyone looks like a mouth breathing idiot in comparison.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

graybook posted:

That's good to know.
Going through the first Investigations game now and it's very interesting; Edgeworth's Logic feature is cool, but everyone looks like a mouth breathing idiot in comparison.

Investigations 1 is a little on the dry side overall, although Edgeworth as a protagonist makes up for a lot. The sequel which never got an official localization is really good though, and the fan translation is top notch.

Plus instead of just plain ol' logic, it has Edgeworth bringing the verbal beatdown on people in a game of LOGIC CHESS where you must eliminate the opponent's pieces (arguments) with correctly-timed attacks of your own, which can actually be kinda tricky.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Fallout: New Vegas: I just want to reiterate what an entertaining crazy person No-bark Noonan is. His voice acting really emphasizes what important secrets he feels he's sharing with you.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Tales of Berseria: I absolutely love that I can change the MC's outfit and hair back from the absurd panty goth outfit she gets put into when ....stuff...happens. I really liked her whole starting out look so got a lovely surprise when i was dicking around in the menus and found out I could have it back.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Digirat posted:

Note that if you get it on PC, you will want a mod called DSfix and a controller.

Feel like this should be repeated. Playing DS1 on PC without this mod and a controller is garbage.

vvvvvvv- Oh yeah, I guess to be fair, I never used KB+M, and I just couldn't imagine it. Maybe it's ok.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Feb 3, 2017

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Captain Lavender posted:

Feel like this should be repeated. Playing DS1 on PC without this mod and a controller is garbage.

Suppose I am the insane odd one out then because I started the souls series with 2 with KB + M and did fine, then did 1 with KB + M and it was fine, and 3 with KB + M was flawless, didn't feel like I was missing out on anything and parrying in all three was absurdly easy (Well I mean with the buckler from 2. Dark Souls 2 parrying is literally "Parry within 2 seconds of an attack before or after wind up and you win game if you use a buckler.")

But if you do get 1 on PC absolutely get DSFix it is mandatory.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I beat DS1 without ever hearing about DSfix, what does it do? And does that mean I'm the best at Dark Souls?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Who What Now posted:

I beat DS1 without ever hearing about DSfix, what does it do? And does that mean I'm the best at Dark Souls?

Removes the 720p and 30fps caps and fixes miscellaneous bugs and omissions.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

haveblue posted:

Removes the 720p and 30fps caps and fixes miscellaneous bugs and omissions.

And the best feature if you're practicing dukeskip or anything like it: you can skip the company logos.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Who What Now posted:

It fixes the game in a whole bunch of ways. From Software basically said outright that they had no idea what they were doing with the PC port of Dark Souls and were only making it due to constant fan requests. One of the main problems was that it was rendering the game at a low resolution internally, so if you were running on a standard 1920x1080 screen it would be showing you a smaller image that had been stretched out. Also added options to unlock the framerate, change anti-aliasing settings, and a lot of other graphics settings which are standard with most PC games. As far as I know it was still functionally playable without DSfix, it just would have looked all janky for the entire playthrough.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

vvvvvvv- Oh yeah, I guess to be fair, I never used KB+M, and I just couldn't imagine it. Maybe it's ok.

It's not. I gave it a fair shake and it's appallingly bad. Use a controller.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Biplane posted:

Yeah I love what story there is and spent hours hunting down all the Ghosts. Its weird to me that they don't hire some halfway competent scifi writer to pump out some Destiny novels expanding on the universe, like they did with Halo. I'd buy all of them :stare:

Or some spinoffs. I would legit play a destiny single player game that focuses more on the story aspect of things.

Son of Rodney posted:

Just play them in order. They're all good in their own ways and the first one is an excellent starting point. Despite the flak it gets, 2 is a good game in its own right and it gets a lot of poo poo for not being Dark Souls; Again while three for all its faults is very fun and gets poo poo on for being exactly what people complained 2 wasn't, Dark Souls; Again.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Kanfy posted:

Investigations 1 is a little on the dry side overall, although Edgeworth as a protagonist makes up for a lot. The sequel which never got an official localization is really good though, and the fan translation is top notch.

Plus instead of just plain ol' logic, it has Edgeworth bringing the verbal beatdown on people in a game of LOGIC CHESS where you must eliminate the opponent's pieces (arguments) with correctly-timed attacks of your own, which can actually be kinda tricky.

I hear so many amazing things about it. I'll get there in time, and I'm excited for when I do.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kanfy posted:

With the second Ace Attorney Investigations game I just love (discussion of how a major character develops) Sebastien DeBeste's arc. He starts off a a twerpy idiot prosecutor with an inflated sense of self worth from his snooty upbringing, his logic is so bad that it is the hardest to break as no point that he asset makes follows from any other. He has a great theme that is a goofy waltz that just screams "IDIOT! IDIOT!". Then the final case happens, and his father admits that he is nothing more than a disappointment. All of a sudden his entire world crashes down, he finds out that he only passed classes because his Father bribed the teachers, then just as he is set to investigate the final case he gets kidnapped - by his own father, so that he cannot stand in his way. By the time you catch up to him he is a broken man, crying in the dark because all his confidence has left him after this one terrible day. Then Edgeworth starts talking. Logic Chess ensues, but instead of the usual method of breaking someone down, Edgeworth builds him up. The correct questions are now statements like "What are you going to do now?" "What path will you take?" and you build up his confidence enough for him to take on his own father in trial. Edgeworth basically tells him that he will be to him, what Phoenix was to him, the mentor lawyer who will help him find the correct path to follow. Sebastien walks into his fathers trial with renewed vigor, Edgeworth right beside him and his music changes. The same song, but instead of a goofy Waltz, it's now a tightened Tango. Sebastien has found his place.

That was such a satisfying character arc :allears:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I also cannot stress enough how good a fan translation AAI2 is. It doesn't transliterate Japanese names, it not only retains the English names where applicable, but makes up brand new ones that fit in with the rest for characters that didn't previously have names. It translates all of the graphics, and even comes with a mock up box art that looks like an actual US DS box. The tone is so in line with the official capcom translations I hope that guy gets a job as a translator one day because he knows how to do it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Edgeworth is the best character in AA games and its a crime against humanity that Investigations 2 was never brought to the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr9AVYDEeMQ&t=137s

I mean this is probably the best cornered theme the franchise has ever had.