Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Beet Wagon posted:

I won't even ban you, probably!

calling this bluff

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lmao they crossposted Archergate 2.0? :allears:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Eldragon posted:

I think it is the reverse: he has a good idea what he is making (i.e: his micromanagement and the "Art/graphics" first development), but his total incompetence at project management prevents anything from ever being completed. Having an idea is worthless, execution on the idea matters. CR can't manage that despite being given 100+ million to do so.

Everything Blizzard is famous for (Diablo, Warcraft, Overwatch, Starcraft) are totally unoriginal and derivative. There is not a single unique idea in anything Bliz has ever done. But the execution on those games is phenomenal so no one gives a gently caress.

Roberts has no idea what he is doing. At most, he has described different one-off scenarios of things you might experience in Star Citizen. poo poo like "You see a giant sand worm and you shoot it and it looks at you" or "you crash land on a planet and pick up a box and *waves hands around*". These are narrative elements that are playing out according to his imagination, not actual well-defined gameplay or repeatable experiences. Almost like he was creating a movie instead of a game?

He can't execute on the game because he hasn't had any ideas FOR the game. Just start from the beginning... what are the core gameplay mechanics supposed to be? Mining, Crafting, Trading, Exploring and Combat. How do ANY of these things work? What makes them rewarding and fun? What is the interplay between them? How are they balanced?

Besides the combat elements, which are just "pew pew", and completely isolated from the other gameplay, none of this exists. Not in the game, not in a beta, not on paper and not even in Chris's head. There is no game.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I usually come here for the funny pictures and drama gossip

Have they done any updates at all to star marine since it was shat out ?

Or is that this fabled 2.6.1 they're talking about

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Sillybones posted:

As if original ideas don't exist. Even just in execution of the same tired old tropes can you demonstrate vision.

Crobbler has an utter lack of vision. His idea for this game is a universe simulator. You can swap him and any teenager ideas guy and get the same result. Vision would have been successfully executing what they pretended were their original plans. Being the worlds shittiest project manager is secondary to the fact: even he has no idea what he is making.

Whoa now, he does have an idea of what he's making. The problem is that it changes every hour or so.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'll be honest I never open any of your links , because I can't just click on it and say 'show image in line' or whatever

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Eldragon posted:

I think it is the reverse: he has a good idea what he is making (i.e: his micromanagement and the "Art/graphics" first development), but his total incompetence at project management prevents anything from ever being completed. Having an idea is worthless, execution on the idea matters. CR can't manage that despite being given 100+ million to do so.

Everything Blizzard is famous for (Diablo, Warcraft, Overwatch, Starcraft) are totally unoriginal and derivative. There is not a single unique idea in anything Bliz has ever done. But the execution on those games is phenomenal so no one gives a gently caress.

Considering just what he wants the game to be appears to change on a whim, I really don't think he knows what he is making. Unbounded scope and the acceptance of anything anyone suggests is not an idea. Universe simulator is not an idea. It is an anti-idea.

I'd say that with proper means to bring to fruit, a good idea is gold.

Unless this is his idea. What you see that people can play. Then it is quite simply that his idea is poo poo.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Xaerael posted:

OK, so I'm still seething over the "Forefather" statement.

I'm going to say something that is in no way meant to be an exaggeration.

Asteroids on the Atari 2600 is a more realistic space sim than Wing Commander.

Stick that in your vape and huff it, you lovely wankhole citizens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Pr8yC8_F4

Asteroids by S. Munnery on the Vic 20 is a more realistic space sim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QWgw1Ngd8I

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A better space sim than Star Citizen

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

The mental gymnastics here are incredibly impressive.

I used to think this guy would have a meltdown when CIG fails and shuts down. Now I think he'll just say its all a trick to fool goons and derek smart so he can work on the game in peace.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Is that a roller coaster with a machine gun? jfc that's awesome

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

This is a defective human. I withdraw my invitation to them. They'll just get themselves immediately probated and banned.

Sorry you fell for the 'platinum access only' joke. Sorry it broke your mind forever.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Is that a roller coaster with a machine gun? jfc that's awesome

That could work as a ride. You're getting thrown around and have to hit targets from the car-mounted gun.

$10 million please, Disney.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

tooterfish posted:

There was also a weirdo obscure vector-graphics space game in arcades in 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXOTExRQJSE

The sit down cabinets had surround sound, they were the dog's bollocks.

I only got to play it in arcades once, but made up for it later on Atari ST. drat that was a good game.

It also made it canon that the empire didn't crumble because the emperor got fusion-reactor'd — it was because of crippling debt after having built at least 4,000 Death Stars. The one at the end of RotJ was just the final straw — there was one contractor left in the entire galaxy willing to commit to the project even with all that debt, and those fools got blown up by rebels.

Sabreseven posted:

That was the first proper arcade cabinet game I played, and it had some epic bassy sound (much better than what the vid can reveal), had to wait in a queue to get to it in an arcade that still to this day exists and apparently still has the machine locked away in a basement :D

Good to see it being fondly remembered. :)

Standing in line for it was one of my abiding memories of a trip to SF I made as a kid. It never got anywhere near where I lived in those days, so that was it. :cry:

Eldragon posted:

While that may be true, CRobber's vision isn't just derivative — it's a carbon copy of a tangle of ideas, where he hasn't even been able to pick out the good bits from the bad. And the difference between the creative ideas of Blizzard and those of CIG is that the former don't strut up and down trying to claim that this is the awesomest touchingest emotionalest storyest ever(est). It's one thing to remix common tropes and ideas; it's another to tell the exact same story over and over for close to two decades, and then having the gall to announce it as creative and visionary.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

nawledgelambo posted:

Jake is WolfLarsen, not that retarded annoying fucker on the INN team

Yeah. I think the downward slide started after I wrote [url= http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/05/star-citizen-the-inn-conspiracy/]an entire blog[/url] about their shilling. In fact, that was the first official "outing" (not be confused with doxxing!) of Jake DiMare.

Tippis posted:

I'm going to archer my post from FDev forums to put “his” inventing the genre into perspective…

I was terminally bored, decided to take that quote very literally, and went out to see what kind of space sims were available before WC came out. :D

1980s(ish) first-person space games:

Star Raiders (1979) — Atari 2600/5600/8-bit, Atari ST
Cyber Strike (1980) – Apple II
Cylon Attack (1982) – BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum
Star Trek: Strategic Ops (1982) — Apple II, Arcade, Atari 2600/5200/8-bit, ColecoVision, C64, VIC-20
Star Voyager (1982) — Atari 2600
3D Starstrike (1984) — Amstrad, ZX Spectrum
Skyfox (1984) — Amiga, Amstrad, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, Mac, PC-88, ZX Spectrum
Star Trader (1984) — C64, ZX Spectrum
Star Luster (1985) — Arcade, NES
Tau Ceti (1985) — Amstrad, Atari ST, C64, Dos, ZX Spectrum
Total Eclipse (1985) — Dragon 32/64
Space School Simulator (1986) — Amiga, Amstrad, Atari ST, DOS, ZX Spectrum
Starglider (1986) — Amiga, Amstrad, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Mac, ZX Spectrum
Starstrike II (1986) — Amstrad, ZX Spectrum
Star Raiders II (1986) — Amstrad, Atari 8-bit, C64, ZX Spectrum
Rubicon Alliance (1987) — Amstrad, C64, ZX Spectrum
Skyfox II (1987) — Amiga, Atari ST, C64, DOS
Star Voyageer (1987) — NES
Starglider II (1988) — Amiga, Atari ST, DOS, Mac, PC-98, ZX Spectrum
Space Rogue (1989) — Amiga, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Mac, PC-98
Lightspeed (1990) — DOS

1980s(ish) non-FP space sims:

Invasion Orion (1979) — Apple II, Atari, PET/CBM, Trash-80
Project: Space Station (1985) — Apple II, C64, DOS
Starflight (1986) — Amiga, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Genesis, Mac
Starflight 2 (1989) — Amiga, DOS, Mac

…oh, and there was some weirdo obscure vector-graphics space game from 1984 too, but it probably isn’t worth mentioning.

You forgot about the Elite games? Also, what about Echelon?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

D_Smart posted:

You forgot about the Elite games? Also, what about Echelon?

That was the obscure vector game from 1984 that wasn't worth mentioning because it has such little impact… :D

And I didn't do a comprehensive list — just a combined tag search on mobygames, and those are the ones that I spotted instantly.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sappo569 posted:

I'll be honest I never open any of your links , because I can't just click on it and say 'show image in line' or whatever

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

That was the obscure vector game from 1984 that wasn't worth mentioning because it has such little impact:D

And I didn't do a comprehensive list — just a combined tag search on mobygames, and those are the ones that I spotted instantly.

Wait! wat!?! Take that back!!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Tippis posted:

I'm going to archer my post from FDev forums to put “his” inventing the genre into perspective…

I was terminally bored, decided to take that quote very literally, and went out to see what kind of space sims were available before WC came out. :D

1980s(ish) first-person space games:

Star Raiders (1979) — Atari 2600/5600/8-bit, Atari ST
Cyber Strike (1980) – Apple II
Cylon Attack (1982) – BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum
Star Trek: Strategic Ops (1982) — Apple II, Arcade, Atari 2600/5200/8-bit, ColecoVision, C64, VIC-20
Star Voyager (1982) — Atari 2600
3D Starstrike (1984) — Amstrad, ZX Spectrum
Skyfox (1984) — Amiga, Amstrad, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, Mac, PC-88, ZX Spectrum
Star Trader (1984) — C64, ZX Spectrum
Star Luster (1985) — Arcade, NES
Tau Ceti (1985) — Amstrad, Atari ST, C64, Dos, ZX Spectrum
Total Eclipse (1985) — Dragon 32/64
Space School Simulator (1986) — Amiga, Amstrad, Atari ST, DOS, ZX Spectrum
Starglider (1986) — Amiga, Amstrad, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Mac, ZX Spectrum
Starstrike II (1986) — Amstrad, ZX Spectrum
Star Raiders II (1986) — Amstrad, Atari 8-bit, C64, ZX Spectrum
Rubicon Alliance (1987) — Amstrad, C64, ZX Spectrum
Skyfox II (1987) — Amiga, Atari ST, C64, DOS
Star Voyageer (1987) — NES
Starglider II (1988) — Amiga, Atari ST, DOS, Mac, PC-98, ZX Spectrum
Space Rogue (1989) — Amiga, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Mac, PC-98
Lightspeed (1990) — DOS

1980s(ish) non-FP space sims:

Invasion Orion (1979) — Apple II, Atari, PET/CBM, Trash-80
Project: Space Station (1985) — Apple II, C64, DOS
Starflight (1986) — Amiga, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Genesis, Mac
Starflight 2 (1989) — Amiga, DOS, Mac

…oh, and there was some weirdo obscure vector-graphics space game from 1984 too, but it probably isn’t worth mentioning.

Tau Ceti was awesome back in the day. How they managed to fit it on those 8-bit machines is still incredible.

Crobz was doing stuff around then. He was porting Match Day by Jon Ritman from the Spectrum to the BBC Micro and was making Donkey Kong copies when David Braben & Ian Bell had released Elite. Forefather my rear end.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Yeah. I think the downward slide started after I wrote [url= http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/05/star-citizen-the-inn-conspiracy/]an entire blog[/url] about their shilling. In fact, that was the first official "outing" (not be confused with doxxing!) of Jake DiMare.

:laffo:

I could set my watch to you trying to claim your lovely blog that no one reads caused something that it didn't.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

biglads posted:

Tau Ceti was awesome back in the day. How they managed to fit it on those 8-bit machines is still incredible.

Crobz was doing stuff around then. He was porting Match Day by Jon Ritman from the Spectrum to the BBC Micro and was making Donkey Kong copies when David Braben & Ian Bell had released Elite. Forefather my rear end.

Yup. But as you know, those rear end-clowns are masters are revisionist history.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

A better space sim than Star Citizen

Not gunna lie, that looks fun as gently caress :wth:

Seriously, I need that.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Tippis posted:

Mobygames, mobyglass

Makes u think

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sabreseven posted:

Not gunna lie, that looks fun as gently caress :wth:

Seriously, I need that.

It was a trainer for gunners in WW2 planes.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Michaellaneous posted:

It was a trainer for gunners in WW2 planes.

Looks like it may even be WW1 era with what looks like a Lewis Gun and the silhouette looking like a biplane.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What if there was an open world shooter game like GTA, but the cars are as detailed as Gran Turismo, and you can build the city you're in like SimCity, and the city is part of a large empire you control like Civilization, which is part of a galaxy like Master of Orion, but all combat is RT like Age of Empires 2, and also it's Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Kickstart my heart!

The things that don't come to mind in imagining this giant loving game are taxes, insurance, law courts, and a player-responsive economy that I'm sure nobody will intentionally crash.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

biglads posted:

Looks like it may even be WW1 era with what looks like a Lewis Gun and the silhouette looking like a biplane.

Might have been from that period when the Luftwaffe was just a “flying enthusiast club” — I'm sure they just had some totally unaffiliated rich benefactor that arranged these fun club days when the boys only goofed off a bit. Nothing that contravenes the Versailles treaty, surely.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

cool new Polack jokes posted:

What if there was an open world shooter game like GTA, but the cars are as detailed as Gran Turismo, and you can build the city you're in like SimCity, and the city is part of a large empire you control like Civilization, which is part of a galaxy like Master of Orion, but all combat is RT like Age of Empires 2, and also it's Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Kickstart my heart!

The things that don't come to mind in imagining this giant loving game are taxes, insurance, law courts, and a player-responsive economy that I'm sure nobody will intentionally crash.

Can I be an insurance adjuster in your game?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

"Yes we are five years and $142,000,000 in to this thing and the best anyone can do is make up 100% pure octane bullshit about how a core feature of the game will work.

At least this is just some harmless speculation about something unimportant, the core sales pitch behind the $142,000,000 in assets we've already bought and a main influence on the $140,000,000,000 in UEC we've injected into the economy, which we can also only dream about.

This is good for star citizen because....."

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ZekeNY posted:

So this not-at-all-a-sockpuppet account is named after... a sockpuppet? Subtle.

Not a CSI watcher. Someone want to throw me a bone here? All I can find is some episode about Amityville.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Can I be an insurance adjuster in your game?

Wouldn't that just be your average goon in a starter ship?

Hi Reddit, you should pay your :10bux: to shitpost with us. Please tell us how wrong we are to our faces. Also this game is never coming out unless you're all collectively prepared to drop another 100 million on Crobberts. My advice is to play GTA5, a game with nearly every feature in Start Citizen minus the star themed skybox.

To buy in game assets all I have to do is play for a bit. :eyepop: it's a pretty great game!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Xaerael posted:

Here's the real question though...

If Ben had to choose between living in a world without Wing Commander, or a world without junkfood, which would he choose?

Even better, Alexis or WC?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

Wait! wat!?! Take that back!!

Derek's wankpod delivers

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tippis posted:

Might have been from that period when the Luftwaffe was just a “flying enthusiast club” — I'm sure they just had some totally unaffiliated rich benefactor that arranged these fun club days when the boys only goofed off a bit. Nothing that contravenes the Versailles treaty, surely.
There were many of those designs back in the WW1 days. There weren't may trainer planes then, apart from the Jenny aka the only useful American plane of the early XX century.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
It's exactly as I imagined

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hav posted:

That could work as a ride. You're getting thrown around and have to hit targets from the car-mounted gun.

$10 million please, Disney.

There is a haunted house nearby that, as a side attraction, built a town around the premises. They attach a big trailer to a tractor and drive everyone through the fake town. The gimmick is that the town has a bunch of actors playing as zombies shuffling and crawling towards the audience on the trailer and that the trailer is armed with stationary paint ball guns.

The actors will stumble and fall and writhe and stuff as they get hit. It's really cool and fun.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Now they're using paarp. lol

Let's see how legitimate news site pixelemonade is doing, who just happened to post an article preaching the greatness of SC a month ago, while all their other articles were stolen from an Australian news site.

http://www.pixelemonade.com/

Not even going to bother to screenshot it. Their last posted article is Jan 21, and all of their articles still look like stolen content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I forgot that SimTower was a game I wanted. Now I want it again.