Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

WickedHate posted:

Modern TV will never be as good as it was in the My Mother The Car era.

It's funny how it's mostly white people that have a nostalgic view of the 1950s.

It's all code for "life was better when the coloreds knew their place".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Indolent Bastard posted:

It's funny how it's mostly white people that have a nostalgic view of the 1950s.

Um??? Star Trek was AGAINST racism I dunno what you're talking about. If only whites and blacks could learn from this cultural treasure and stop equally harming each other.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Um??? Star Trek was AGAINST racism I dunno what you're talking about. If only whites and blacks could learn from this cultural treasure and stop equally harming each other.

Star Trek was yes. But in a general "I miss the good old days" sense I often get a vibe from those folks that life was better when women weren't (easily) allowed out of the home and people of color kept to their own. Now we have "scary" Muslims and people with a fluid gender?!?!?! Not in my America, thank you very much, Beach Boys take me away...

What I'm really saying is Gilchrist is terrible and his fans are no better.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

"Ugh, this generation is so oversensitive," says the people who lived in an era where people would flip their poo poo if a black person used the same water fountain as the whites.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Indolent Bastard posted:

Star Trek was yes. But in a general "I miss the good old days" sense I often get a vibe from those folks that life was better when women weren't (easily) allowed out of the home and people of color kept to their own. Now we have "scary" Muslims and people with a fluid gender?!?!?! Not in my America, thank you very much, Beach Boys take me away...

What I'm really saying is Gilchrist is terrible and his fans are no better.

It also means that Gilchrist is just pulling stuff out of his rear end that's old if he doesn't personally wank off to it. Star Trek had a lot of radical ideas for it's time. Capitalism is long gone, personal choice is very important, men and women serve equally, and it was the first show to have an interracial kiss. It wasn't show in some parts of the south for that very reason. Uhura, a black woman, was on the bridge crew and would be acting captain. They had a Russian character on the bridge crew during the Cold War. Religion is mostly used to show backwards ideas or barbarism.

And pulling some stuff from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_influence_of_Star_Trek)
Nichelle Nichols, the actress portraying Uhura, has a quote from when she was at a fundraiser for the NAACP

quote:

I thought it was a Trekkie, and so I said, 'Sure.' I looked across the room, and there was Dr. Martin Luther King walking towards me with this big grin on his face. He reached out to me and said, 'Yes, Ms. Nichols, I am your greatest fan.' He said that Star Trek was the only show that he, and his wife Coretta, would allow their three little children to stay up and watch. [She told King about her plans to leave the series.] I never got to tell him why, because he said, 'You can't. You're part of history.'
When Nichols told Rodenberry that, he cried.

So yeah, lots of words, cause I'm a big ol' nerd fan of TOS and Gilchrist should get phasered maximum stun.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Gene Roddenberry was so progressive that he was boning the black actress working for him! Can you say the same kind of dedication to racial equality from contemporary tv producers???

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shirec posted:

It also means that Gilchrist is just pulling stuff out of his rear end that's old if he doesn't personally wank off to it. Star Trek had a lot of radical ideas for it's time. Capitalism is long gone, personal choice is very important, men and women serve equally, and it was the first show to have an interracial kiss. It wasn't show in some parts of the south for that very reason. Uhura, a black woman, was on the bridge crew and would be acting captain. They had a Russian character on the bridge crew during the Cold War. Religion is mostly used to show backwards ideas or barbarism.
On the other hand Gilchrist may have actually a point there, because if the new Star Trek series has a Muslim character I will eat my hat raw (religion's place in Star Trek notwithstanding; they can make it work if they want to).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ugh, real religions in my Star Trek? :what: Why have a science fiction series set 200 centuries in the future if you're just going to fill it with contemporary cultural references. This was one of the most glaring flaws in TOS, surely we will have dealt with Scots by 2260.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

I was misunderstanding this strip when I read it the first time. I thought that the first panel was the Phantom forcefully shoving that guy in to the trunk and then slamming it shut, and I thought it was awesome.

Then I read it again and saw what it really was and it was even more awesome.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

My Lovely Horse posted:

On the other hand Gilchrist may have actually a point there, because if the new Star Trek series has a Muslim character I will eat my hat raw (religion's place in Star Trek notwithstanding; they can make it work if they want to).

DS:9 has an Iranian doctor

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Given that it's VHS, is it's a commercially produced tape, there probably isn't more than 1 or 2 episodes per tape (6 if it's homemade).

So with luck Sluggo's got himself Spock's Brain and maybe the other one with the space hippies or something.

The Beanie and Cecil tape -- ugh. There was, I think, only one produced on VHS because I remember my mum being so happy to find it. My brother, who is now 62, was crazy about Beanie and Cecil when he was a little boy, 3 or 4 years old, so that would have been 1957 or 8.

Also, isn't Sluggo himself only about 7 or 8? Maybe it's just me, but a little boy like that :swoon: over jiggle-TV seems a little creepy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Nenonen posted:

Gene Roddenberry was so progressive that he was boning the black actress working for him! Can you say the same kind of dedication to racial equality from contemporary tv producers???

I think you mean sexually harassing. And he did it to women of all races, truly a paragon of equality.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mr. Maltose posted:

I think you mean sexually harassing. And he did it to women of all races, truly a paragon of equality.

Gene believed that we are all pink on the inside.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Aw dang, I didn't know that, ugh :smith: That's what I get for just being happy at the good stuff and not digging around

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Gene believed that we are all pink on the inside.

Except Vulcans, of course.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Safety Dance posted:

Except Vulcans, of course.

You have put more thought into this that I have. I tip my hat to you.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Shirec posted:

Aw dang, I didn't know that, ugh :smith: That's what I get for just being happy at the good stuff and not digging around

Definitely don't look into why Grace Lee Whitney was fired.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Shirec posted:

Roddenberry is dead and can no longer profit from his creation or his bad behavior. Like what you like. Everybody's lovely. Doesn't change that he made a great thing.

Luann

I never lived in a dorm and thus did not have to deal with an RA. Seems like this is far beyond what she would be able to claim was in the line of duty, right? You can't go all grabby hands on somebody's phone or their (or their friend's) property. I hope?

The Amazing Spider-Man

That looks like a pretty long drive, actually, so yeah. Go ahead and talk about Star-Lord and Groot.

Sally Forth

Sad, yes. But not alienating for me at the moment, unfortunately.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

The more I look at this, the more I realize this may be the peak Computoon.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I never lived in a dorm and thus did not have to deal with an RA. Seems like this is far beyond what she would be able to claim was in the line of duty, right? You can't go all grabby hands on somebody's phone or their (or their friend's) property. I hope?

They can't enter your room without your permission.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Only true Keypad Kids will get this.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Savidudeosoo posted:

They can't enter your room without your permission.

I kinda hope this story jukes into a tale about Bernice overstepping her bounds.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah Bernice is just being a terrible person not an RA. Mary Worth would be ashamed of this meddling.

Safety Dance posted:

I kinda hope this story jukes into a tale about Bernice overstepping her bounds.

Consequences? For one of the nice girls? Unlikely.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

St. Bernice? Second only to the Most Holy Luann? Be punished? Never gonna happen. At best Tiffany the Whore will escape punishment, but that's about it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yep that's it, although it's possible that he and Nichelle Nichols might have had a true friendship-with-benefits with more emphasis on the friendship which makes it a bit better than Hollywood in the 60s in general. At least I hope she stayed in the relationship through her own volition and not just to not offend MLK.

Julet Esqu posted:

Roddenberry is dead and can no longer profit from his creation or his bad behavior. Like what you like. Everybody's lovely. Doesn't change that he made a great thing.

Also you can enjoy driving a Volkswagen now, they stopped using Jewish slave workers a while back.

Might not buy a diesel model, though.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ms Boods posted:

Given that it's VHS, is it's a commercially produced tape, there probably isn't more than 1 or 2 episodes per tape (6 if it's homemade).

So with luck Sluggo's got himself Spock's Brain and maybe the other one with the space hippies or something.

The Beanie and Cecil tape -- ugh. There was, I think, only one produced on VHS because I remember my mum being so happy to find it. My brother, who is now 62, was crazy about Beanie and Cecil when he was a little boy, 3 or 4 years old, so that would have been 1957 or 8.

Also, isn't Sluggo himself only about 7 or 8? Maybe it's just me, but a little boy like that :swoon: over jiggle-TV seems a little creepy.
This is a little off-topic, but I am reminded of how much of a ripoff TV shows on VHS were, not to mention what a waste of space it was. They put literally one episode per tape most of the time. To have a whole series you'd have to have a dedicated shelf just for that one, and probably pay ~$20 per, and for any longer-running series it was completely impractical.

This was especially true with children's shows. I worked at Blockbuster way back in the day and sold and rented tapes with one loving random 20 minute episode of TMNT or Power Rangers or whatever on it. It was awful.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I hadn't really looked closely at it until this and now I'm glad I did so thank you.

F Minus

Mary Worth

A month later:

Dear Wendy,
I've been weighing this decision for months now. The jobs in question are long gone due to my prevarication. Your advice has been no help whatsoever. What are you, some kind of fill-in advice columnist? Pros and cons? Think? Go with your gut? This is advice? I am homeless and destitute and selling myself to make ends meet. So, what do I do now? I don't ask expecting good advice, but because recent history indicates if I do the exact opposite of your suggestions, I could not possibly do worse.
Sincerely,
Hopeless in Santa Royale

Rex Morgan MD

"And for the first discussion topic: I understand we have a family named the Morgans, and in particular a little girl named Sarah to thank for this. Care to comment?"

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

No, in my one experience getting in trouble (well, not me - my roommate - long story), they will get another RA or two that are available before doing anything and will call campus police if necessary.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

A month later:

Dear Wendy,
I've been weighing this decision for months now. The jobs in question are long gone due to my prevarication. Your advice has been no help whatsoever. What are you, some kind of fill-in advice columnist? Pros and cons? Think? Go with your gut? This is advice? I am homeless and destitute and selling myself to make ends meet. So, what do I do now? I don't ask expecting good advice, but because recent history indicates if I do the exact opposite of your suggestions, I could not possibly do worse.
Sincerely,
Hopeless in Santa Royale

Although to be fair, what the hell is Mary supposed to say? "Go with whicher pays more"?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Indolent Bastard posted:

St. Bernice? Second only to the Most Holy Luann? Be punished? Never gonna happen. At best Tiffany the Whore will escape punishment, but that's about it.

And the fact that she escapes punishment will be yet another reason we're supposed to hate Tiffany.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Bob Loss? Oh, for Pete's sake, Beatty.

(It's a play on Bill Gaines, the guy behind Mad and EC Comics in the 50s.)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Safety Dance posted:

Although to be fair, what the hell is Mary supposed to say? "Go with whicher pays more"?
You make a valid point. I was trying to sort of make fun of both of them and how ridiculous it is to even write a letter requesting advice on this at all, let alone the letter getting a response printed in the paper, and then to go even further with a follow up.

If this entire situation represents the kind of questions Ask Wendy gets and tries to answer in the first place, I don't see the point in the column at all.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

No, in my one experience getting in trouble (well, not me - my roommate - long story), they will get another RA or two that are available before doing anything and will call campus police if necessary.

The best part of all this, imo, is that Bernice is wanting to be a guidance counselor.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

She's not using her authority as RA, she's using her authority as a total bitch.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Shirec posted:

The best part of all this, imo, is that Bernice is wanting to be a guidance counselor.

Guide me to an early grave

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Most of the movies I watch about college girls in dorms start out this exact way.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Jim Garrison? Is this going to turn into Oliver Stone's Apartment 3-G?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Lowen SoDium posted:

Most of the movies I watch about college girls in dorms start out this exact way.

~Hel-LO, Greg...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Calvin and Hobbes did it better: