Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah I was expecting major jank and mediocre graphics but it's beautiful and slick and fun. Only question now is if I want it digital or not.

Combat is a little thin but more fun than expected.

I'm skeptic because it looks like The Division in a jungle. Or is it thrid person old school Ghost Recon's "go gently caress those dudes up over there while your bro covers you from the other side?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crazy people in here talking about buying Ubi games at launch.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

seiferguy posted:

I was about to ask a question on replacing the hard drive and if there's an easy way to transfer my stuff, but it looks like I won't have to :toot:

What would be a good external HDD? Preferably something that would improve load times on certain games.

Just so you know, you can back it all up to an external and then load it back on. Interested to see any load time hits with an external.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Beastie posted:

I'm skeptic because it looks like The Division in a jungle. Or is it thrid person old school Ghost Recon's "go gently caress those dudes up over there while your bro covers you from the other side?"

I really, really don't like the Division but had lots of fun with this. Taking out several enemies together adds that Ghost Recon feeling that I thought would be non-existent. One shot kills help a lot.

Was in a party with blackguy32 and another guy from the start though, not sure how it is by yourself.

Flying is weird, like it'll just suddenly stop listening to your directions and you can't do poo poo.

I almost don't want to play the beta anymore so I can just experience everything for the first time in the full game. But if that's just one zone then the full game is gonna take hundreds of hours?!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Beastie posted:

Yeah my big question since I didn't get into the beta yet is: does it play like an actual shooter or like whatever the gently caress Division is?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Bombadilillo posted:

Just so you know, you can back it all up to an external and then load it back on. Interested to see any load time hits with an external.

At least with my bone, load times are significantly faster. Does anyone know how fast the default ps4 pro hdd is?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

At least with my bone, load times are significantly faster. Does anyone know how fast the default ps4 pro hdd is?

The stock drive is 5400 RPM. In all likelihood, speeds will be identical or too close to make a difference, for equivalent drives, so if you get an external SSD it'll be the same speed as an SSD installed internally. The Xbox One has some sort of bandwidth issue on its internal interface which the PS4 doesn't have, so externals run better on that.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

univbee posted:

The stock drive is 5400 RPM. In all likelihood, speeds will be identical or too close to make a difference, for equivalent drives, so if you get an external SSD it'll be the same speed as an SSD installed internally. The Xbox One has some sort of bandwidth issue on its internal interface which the PS4 doesn't have, so externals run better on that.

What about a 7200rpm external? I guess digital foundry will put out an excruciatingly detailed video about it soon lol

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

My little brother and I used to play some much of the OG Ghost Recon on Ps2. Every Saturday morning was us getting up and playing split screen as we crouched our way through piles and piles of Russian separatists.

I want that.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Beastie posted:

My little brother and I used to play some much of the OG Ghost Recon on Ps2. Every Saturday morning was us getting up and playing split screen as we crouched our way through piles and piles of Russian separatists.

I want that.

You could definitely play like that if you wanted.

"Too deep" is still a well used inside joke between my brother and I, who was like 10 years old when those original games came out and is now a federal agent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxNJar6LCRI

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Captain Yossarian posted:

PS4 pro is SATA III iirc which I'd like 20% faster than USB 3.0 at max rate.

Performance can vary though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

PS4 pro is SATA III iirc which I'd like 20% faster than USB 3.0 at max rate.

Performance can vary though.

I don't think any drive out there saturates SATA III.

Downloading the Beta Firmware now to test if externals work on any console (with the beta installed, of course).

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Trick with Ubisoft multiplayer games is to play the gently caress out of the beta and then buy the game later at a discount if it catches on.

General multiplayer game truism: Beta memories = best memories.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I picked up Rainbow Six and Steep at launch and regret nothing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Beastie posted:

I want that.

I dont think it's split screen. But it is solid. There seems to be a lot of customization options for the game with regards to your guns and character. The game is a bit easy, but it is just the first area. But I like it because it's all one instance. 3 of you can be doing a mission, while the other is just loving around on the other side of the map if you want.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Beastie posted:

I picked up Rainbow Six and Steep at launch and regret nothing.

I can't even remember what game gave Ubisoft a "don't buy at launch" reputation to Quantum of Phallus. There's been the famous graphical downgrades (no longer done) but launch issues...?

Ubi's been my fav developer lately.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

I can't even remember what game gave Ubisoft a "don't buy at launch" reputation to Quantum of Phallus. There's been the famous graphical downgrades (no longer done) but launch issues...?

The Division had a few problems at launch and the end game was atrocious. But they have been supporting the hell out of that game. Watch Dogs 1 sucked. But overall, I think they have been a very solid and consistent developer. I love more of their stuff than I hate, and for me, they have been one of the biggest supporters of coop out there.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

blackguy32 posted:

The Division had a few problems at launch and the end game was atrocious. But they have been supporting the hell out of that game. Watch Dogs 1 sucked. But overall, I think they have been a very solid and consistent developer. I love more of their stuff than I hate, and for me, they have been one of the biggest supporters of coop out there.

Yeah, what give Ubi a fairly good rep with me these days is not that launch games are rock solid master pieces, but that they seem to actually listen and support the bejeesus out of games when they don't meet expectations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Oh I'm not expecting actual split screen. I can play with my brother over the internet.

I can understand the skepticism for Ubi. I don't touch Assassin's Creed games because they bore the hell out of me.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Unity had a pretty hosed up launch due to bad netcode/traffic scaling but the actual game was pretty good and it's a shame that we might not get co op missions again.

Graphical glitches too, but that was fixed on the day 0 patch.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 3, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

OK yeah haha. I hated Unity at launch too but even it was patched up and I ended up finishing it many months later. Ubi had a really dark time but you can see they've made real steps to improve their rep in their more recent releases.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

External drives on the beta work on multiple consoles so can be used to avoid patch/digital game downloads when going to friend's houses. :toot:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

It wasn't just Ubi it was the whole game industry for a bit there. They all got pretty bad with pushing games out the door that weren't done. It started to get a bit of a backlash so it seems like they're all cleaning up their act a bit.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Once you get used to everything... Ghost Recon Wildlands is pretty fun. Get into a group of like-minded humans as soon as possible. Find a suppressed Sniper Rifle soon, too. Feels good, man!

BE warned. This is a beta-rear end beta tho. I just did a story mission, which ended in a cutscene. Everything went silent, even my human player friends, and now I can't even use the guide button to quit. (It's not frozen, just nonresponsive. Gonna have to power down with the console button.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 3, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

univbee posted:

External drives on the beta work on multiple consoles so can be used to avoid patch/digital game downloads when going to friend's houses. :toot:

Sweet mother of god.
Thank you Sony.

Just give use proper backwards compat you fucks

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Sweet mother of god.
Thank you Sony.

Just give use proper backwards compat you fucks

That will never happen because of the huge architecture change between 3 and 4.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PS1 back compat :colbert:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

univbee posted:

Notice anything on load times?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

That will never happen because of the huge architecture change between 3 and 4.

They say that but... I believe in you Cerny

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Notice anything on load times?

I've done zero experimenting in that regard thus far, doing a big transfer of data, and will probably be gone a decent chunk of the weekend.

I can confirm, however, that it knows if a drive isn't USB 3.0 and refuses to let you use it if so.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Beastie posted:

they bore the hell out of me.

This is Ubi summed up. None of their games are very interesting and all feel like designed by committee. Not my thing.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

For what it's worth I put an external on my xbox one (Passport 1 TB) and I load into BF1 before everyone on my team and can snag the plane.

I imagine it would help the PS4 too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ubisoft games always distinctly lack personality no matter how hard they try but more often than not they are fine at what they do. I personally can't stand Assassins Creed though. otherwise their shooter and open world games get the job done.

Honestly for all the poo poo they get their track record has been decent for the past few years.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Much more excited about the boost mode for PS4 Pro for non-pro enhanced titles than the external HD thing.

People reporting much improved framerates in games like Just Cause 3, noticeable improvements to smoothness in Witcher 3 etc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's hard to say that any Ubisoft game is outright bad, as they all have really high production values and the gameplay is fine for what it is. But at the same time it's hard to get particularly hyped about anything they do since it is so middle of the road, rather than more niche titles that are obviously more polarizing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

Honestly for all the poo poo they get their track record has been decent for the past few years.

Yeah, but they've also taken very very few risks. Mostly just cranking out 20 assassin's creed games and like 6 farcry games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah totally. Even in new IP's they rarely stray from the most basic game design cliches, which is why I think people think their games feel so soulless. They seem terrified of alienating anyone as to lose sales and their games come off as bland as a result.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's weird how Watch Dogs 2 makes me feel both more and less hopeful about Ubisoft. It has more personality and quality than anything they've released in a long while, but almost none of that inspiration appears in the game design. The handful of novel mechanics don't get explored in much depth. There's a really cool robot-stealth-hacking-social-engineering game in there that got crammed into a shallow GTA mold and glittered with map icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

univbee posted:

Does this essentially mean you just go to your friends house, add your account, plug in hdd, and your good to go?