Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

It's the Demi-fiend. I heard about that years before I knew who the Demi-fiend even was. It is a pretty interesting thing to do. If a post from earlier is anything to go by, he's a physical powerhouse. (the poster was commenting on how I made my Demi-fiend a mage)

I would assume the bosses are beyond those red walls? I might try to tackle them. I'm not a huge fan of DDS' combat system. They are throwing plenty of Macca at me now but even still, to get all the not-Sphere Grid filled out would take a lot of time. I would assume I at least need the uber-tier Mantras like Goddess (has the full party heal) and others. Gonna needs millions.

I think Nocturne is still my favorite game of the series in terms of gameplay. I was thinking it didn't really have optional bosses but, well, the Fiends and Beelzebub and Metatron are all optional in a way. It's just they aren't optional for one ending. DDS' optional fights I assume don't get you more story or a new ending.

(Also what exactly is the name for the combat system here? I remember back when I started the series someone elsewhere said they vastly preferred Persona 3's system to Nocturne's and they had names for both of them)

So was Xenosaga Episode 1. I figured they had to split the DDS games up because there was too much content, just like Xenosaga. But, well, you could easily fit another game into this one from what I've seen.

Maybe they had a lovely budget or deadlines.

The battle system in Nocturne and DDS is called the Press Turn system. It's also used in SMT4, and the basis for the combat system of pretty much all subsequent games (including Persona 3 /4) giving an additional bonus for hitting an enemy weakness.
Persona 3's system is called One More Press or something like that.

In addition to those Lucifer is technically an optional boss, and possibly one of the most difficult challenges of Nocturne is the gravestones in the Labyrinth of Amala which require you to beat the bosses of the game within a certain number of turns.
In the base non-labyrinth of Amala parts of the game there's the four kings in Masakado's place and the "just a palette swapped slime" version of Mara but they're all pushovers.

There is a pretty clear division between DDS 1 and 2 so they work well as two separate games.
The DDS games were released within a year of each other between Nocturne and Persona 3, it's possible that a portion of Atlus was pulling their resources into Persona 3 development at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thank you for the info.

I'm not sure I'll get DDS2, at least not now. I mean, it was kinda fun but it wasn't that fun and I have very little interest in the story or characters.

I might get Raidou 2 instead. I still have Persona 4 Golden on the way as well.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Thank you for the info.

I'm not sure I'll get DDS2, at least not now. I mean, it was kinda fun but it wasn't that fun and I have very little interest in the story or characters.

I might get Raidou 2 instead. I still have Persona 4 Golden on the way as well.

You finished DDS 1 already?
I still haven't gotten around to DDS 2 because DDS 1 is kind of cool but it can get pretty sloggy with the huge dungeons and high encounter rate. Not sure if I will continue with DDS2 after it or not, probably not
I've picked up a lot of DDS 2 stuff from skimming LPs and such, it does some clever things with the plot but it has arguably the goofiest convoluted JRPG plot of the PS2 era SMT games...
Its only competition is the original Raidou though that series takes itself a lot less seriously.

I got that and Nocturne again at the same time but somehow played through lots of DDS instead. Maybe just because I've played Nocturne a ton of times in the past and DDS is less familiar.

I think you have the right idea by playing something else, Raidou seems like a good antidote to DDS burnout.

I feel like pretty soon you will have played all the modern SMTs which aren't on handhelds...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Item Getter posted:

You finished DDS 1 already?
I still haven't gotten around to DDS 2 because DDS 1 is kind of cool but it can get pretty sloggy with the huge dungeons and high encounter rate. Not sure if I will continue with DDS2 after it or not, probably not
I've picked up a lot of DDS 2 stuff from skimming LPs and such, it does some clever things with the plot but it has arguably the goofiest convoluted JRPG plot of the PS2 era SMT games...
Its only competition is the original Raidou though that series takes itself a lot less seriously.

I got that and Nocturne again at the same time but somehow played through lots of DDS instead. Maybe just because I've played Nocturne a ton of times in the past and DDS is less familiar.

I think you have the right idea by playing something else, Raidou seems like a good antidote to DDS burnout.

I feel like pretty soon you will have played all the modern SMTs which aren't on handhelds...

I haven't finished DDS1 quite yet, I'm just budgeting right now and figuring out what other games I can justify purchasing. I was contemplating DDS2 but I think I can better use that $10 on vs. King Abaddon.

I hear it has multiple routes and endings. I always enjoy that in RPG's.

But yeah, the DDS1 encounter rate and huge dungeons really take their toll. As I noted earlier, this is significantly shorter than any of the other SMT games I've played but there's very little motivation to continue.

I really need to finish P3 before P4 gets here, too....

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

I haven't finished DDS1 quite yet, I'm just budgeting right now and figuring out what other games I can justify purchasing. I was contemplating DDS2 but I think I can better use that $10 on vs. King Abaddon.

I hear it has multiple routes and endings. I always enjoy that in RPG's.

But yeah, the DDS1 encounter rate and huge dungeons really take their toll. As I noted earlier, this is significantly shorter than any of the other SMT games I've played but there's very little motivation to continue.

I really need to finish P3 before P4 gets here, too....

It has multiple routes and endings about as much as most SMTs do (that is to say, they don't make very much difference.) It's still a good game though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Item Getter posted:

It has multiple routes and endings about as much as most SMTs do (that is to say, they don't make very much difference.) It's still a good game though.

Well, I mean, a different ending is a different ending. From what I know, Chaos in SJ is a whole different kettle of fish compared to the Law ending I got.

Plus, different final bosses are also interesting.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

I would assume the bosses are beyond those red walls? I might try to tackle them. I'm not a huge fan of DDS' combat system. They are throwing plenty of Macca at me now but even still, to get all the not-Sphere Grid filled out would take a lot of time. I would assume I at least need the uber-tier Mantras like Goddess (has the full party heal) and others. Gonna needs millions.

I think Nocturne is still my favorite game of the series in terms of gameplay. I was thinking it didn't really have optional bosses but, well, the Fiends and Beelzebub and Metatron are all optional in a way. It's just they aren't optional for one ending. DDS' optional fights I assume don't get you more story or a new ending.

No new ending for the extra DDS bosses, just some really good and engaging fights. You can clear them all outside of Demifiend battle without excessive grinding or the super expensive mantras, from my recollection.

While DDS2 has a few controversial design elements, I find the setting vastly more interesting than DDS1 and they make some really neat tweaks to the combat system and mantra grid. It also builds strongly off the character development that takes a while (for plot reasons) to get going on part 1. I really do recommend it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tortolia posted:

No new ending for the extra DDS bosses, just some really good and engaging fights. You can clear them all outside of Demifiend battle without excessive grinding or the super expensive mantras, from my recollection.

While DDS2 has a few controversial design elements, I find the setting vastly more interesting than DDS1 and they make some really neat tweaks to the combat system and mantra grid. It also builds strongly off the character development that takes a while (for plot reasons) to get going on part 1. I really do recommend it.

Well I should have more money next month on account of not having to buy a console so I can probably get DDS2 then. I have every intention of playing it, it was just low on my list.

Also Atlus asks what fans want

quote:

The main question about Persona series asks if fans would like to see a new fighting game for Persona 5, a board game for the Persona series, an HD remaster of Revelations: Persona, a Persona 3 dance game, Persona series online game, a Persona shooter, Persona 6, a new version of Persona 5 with additional scenario and new content, a Persona 5 dance game, a HD remaster of Persona 3, HD remasters of the Persona 2 games, or a sequel/port for Persona Q. The survey also asks for each of the aforementioned titles whether you’d like to see it on PS4, PSVR, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, smartphone, or others.

It’s also worth noting that there isn’t anything on the list mentioning Persona 4, so it looks like Atlus is looking to further expand on their other Persona titles.

Some of the questions in the survey ask if fans would purchase follow-up titles to Devil Survive 2: Record Breaker, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir.

One of the questions asks what other non-Atlus titles fans know about, and it includes a bunch of popular titles that have yet to release, such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dragon Quest XI, NieR: Automata, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Kingdom Hearts III, and so on.

The survey is available to take here, but it’s in Japanese and takes an estimate of about 25 minutes to complete and will be around starting today through February 7 at 11:59pm JST.

Atlus says that they’ve done the same survey twice in the past, and received plenty of great feedback from fans and they’ve put a lot of consideration into it, so they’re looking to hear more from fans again.

The purpose of the survey is to help Atlus create games that can provide more unique and entertaining experience, and they’re asking for cooperation from the fans to achieve the goal.

Read more stories about Atlus & Persona 2: Eternal Punishment & Persona 2: Innocent Sin & Persona 3 & Persona 5 & Revelations: Persona & Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE on Siliconera.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/03/atlus-asks-want-see-new-persona-5-persona-hd-remasters-spinoffs/#0o3KSw3TAtj3UUJ1.99

It's not gonna happen but I'd like a Strange Journey follow-up.

Also I hope no one votes for 3DS anything. Just put all your poo poo on Sony consoles! Or Nintendo Switch I guess but no 3DS, please.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

3DS now and forever.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

quote:

The main question about Persona series asks if fans would like to see a new fighting game for Persona 5, a board game for the Persona series, an HD remaster of Revelations: Persona, a Persona 3 dance game, Persona series online game, a Persona shooter, Persona 6, a new version of Persona 5 with additional scenario and new content, a Persona 5 dance game, a HD remaster of Persona 3, HD remasters of the Persona 2 games, or a sequel/port for Persona Q. The survey also asks for each of the aforementioned titles whether you’d like to see it on PS4, PSVR, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, smartphone, or others.

Well those sure are some ideas. Probably just moving on to Persona 6 would be best, but a version of the P3 female MC path that doesn't have to depend on the VN presentation would be kinda neat, I guess.

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I hope no one votes for 3DS anything. Just put all your poo poo on Sony consoles! Or Nintendo Switch I guess but no 3DS, please.

On the contrary, more 3DS stuff please, I actually have one of those and I'm not ready to drop $250 on a new console, from anybody.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the 3ds is good, and also the only console i own (that's still getting new games)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Yeah, more 3DS. I want to use this console more.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah, more 3DS. I want to use this console more.

You already got 4 game, including the newest entries in the main series. We got...a dancing game and some fighting games.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

You already got 4 game, including the newest entries in the main series. We got...a dancing game and some fighting games.

are you just ignoring persona 5 exists

look i know it took a million years to come out but it's here now

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

NikkolasKing posted:

yeah but the 3ds got PQ which is like one anti-game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if PQ is an anti-game then P4DAN is a double game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
P4D is one whole game

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I should have more money next month on account of not having to buy a console so I can probably get DDS2 then. I have every intention of playing it, it was just low on my list.

Also Atlus asks what fans want

It's not gonna happen but I'd like a Strange Journey follow-up.

They ought to just work on Persona 6 and stop milking the individual games in the series so much, but I'd love to see combat with toilets and hula-dancing demons in full HD.
Imagine them making that one Persona awakening scene from Snow Queen quest with modern HD, and all the weird torture rooms from Nemesis tower or whichever one it was.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Can we get the HD Remasters yes please sirs. Like, do the remasters then give me 6 tia

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Amazon is pretty awesome. I got that free Prime trial when ordering my stuff this morning and I got all my stuff this afternoon with no additional cost. Well, I didn't get Persona 4 Golden because that wasn't sold directly by Amazon themselves but I should get it Sunday they say.

But I now got my PSTV. Can't do much with it right now but it's there. Neat little gizmo. I guess I should just go finish P3 before P4 gets here.

Is there a dungeon before Nyx or do you just go to the boss fights? I'm really just kind of ready for P3 to be over. If there is anything I've noticed by playing SMT and Persona games, it's that the Persona games are not actually very fun games in terms of anything relating to combat. IMO anyway.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
There will be a final section of Tartarus that opens on The Final Day

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm really just kind of ready for P3 to be over. If there is anything I've noticed by playing SMT and Persona games, it's that the Persona games are not actually very fun games in terms of anything relating to combat. IMO anyway.

To be fair though, from what you've said in this thread you're playing P3's combat in a kinda hosed up way. IMO it's very similar to the other SMTs and if you actually engage with the game systems and use the options they give you it's quite fun. Same goes for P4.

P5 to me looks like the ideal mash-up of Persona and mainline SMT and I'm so hyped. Persona with demon negotiation is exactly what I need in my life.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Contacting every Japanese friend I have to get them to vote for Persona 5 Arena for me

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't think it's controversial to say that Persona 3 and 4 are much weaker in the dungeon crawling and battle categories than Nocturne or DDS.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd be willing to buy a new console for Persona 1/2 remakes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

thorsilver posted:

To be fair though, from what you've said in this thread you're playing P3's combat in a kinda hosed up way. IMO it's very similar to the other SMTs and if you actually engage with the game systems and use the options they give you it's quite fun. Same goes for P4.

P5 to me looks like the ideal mash-up of Persona and mainline SMT and I'm so hyped. Persona with demon negotiation is exactly what I need in my life.

Did you play Persona 2?

I don't know what you mean by "engage with the system" though. You hit the enemy with their weakness, they fall down, rinse and repeat. Maybe now and then you use a status effect to manage a crowd of beefy enemies or Tartarus bosses. My strategy of using my guy for healing was mostly something I did for boss fights. In normal fights, given you go first, knocking the enemy down and ending the fight with one all out attack is pretty much how every fight works and I did that.

As for comparing with mainline SMT, as I noted earlier, I dislike the buff/debuff duration mechanics and how they drop off characters individually and leave you vulnerable for a whole turn and there's nothing you can do about it. The whole knockdown system itself is really repetitive but it isn't helped by enemies having the Evade [Weakness] skills. (I hear that poo poo is turned up to 11 in The Answer) Stumble and taking a whole turn to get back up is lovely too, even if I never tire of seeing the MC swing his axe/hammer/whatever, whiff and subsequently spin around to fall flat on his back.

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't think it's controversial to say that Persona 3 and 4 are much weaker in the dungeon crawling and battle categories than Nocturne or DDS.

For me it's like this:
Nocturne > Strange Journey > DDS >>> P3 > [infinite] > P2.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 4, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I would like if Persona 1 and 2 were actually playable.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

even if I never tire of seeing the MC swing his axe/hammer/whatever, whiff and subsequently spin around to fall flat on his back.

I liked using one-handed swords and spears in FES because they were the easiest to get a surprise attack in the field with (or at least not get into a disadvantage if you whiffed.)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Though, wiping out a whole group of five shadows using nothing but the suction-cup bow because they're weak to Pierce damage is pretty hilarious.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

I would like if Persona 1 and 2 were actually playable.

Well you see they are playable right now on PSP, PS1, and even PC and PS3!!!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Luna Was Here posted:

There will be a final section of Tartarus that opens on The Final Day

Also your party doesn't get tired so you can take as long as you need.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tortolia posted:

Also your party doesn't get tired so you can take as long as you need.

Well that's a nice feature.

But man, I'm seriously realizing how much I can't stand Fuuka.

Is this like because Persona is for babies that need a character to scream at them when their HP is low and to tell them what skills to use or are they actually trying to do some character building and stuff?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think it's supposed to be a character building thing, having a character that kinda explains away game mechanics like hp and status effects makes it more reasonable when the ai heals them on their own

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

NikkolasKing posted:

Did you play Persona 2?

OK, 'modern-era Persona with demon negotiation' then. I assumed it was obvious that I was referring to something like P3/4, which I'd just been talking about and which are a pretty different animal from P2.

quote:

I don't know what you mean by "engage with the system" though.

I mean using your MC as more than a healer, switching up characters, all the stuff that ImpAtom already explained to you at length. You're basically missing chunks of the mechanics and variety.

quote:

You hit the enemy with their weakness, they fall down, rinse and repeat. Maybe now and then you use a status effect to manage a crowd of beefy enemies or Tartarus bosses. My strategy of using my guy for healing was mostly something I did for boss fights. In normal fights, given you go first, knocking the enemy down and ending the fight with one all out attack is pretty much how every fight works and I did that.

Well yes, it's an RPG -- normal fights are there to put pressure on your resources, and provide a source of XP, money, item drops and Personas as you work your way to the boss and fine-tune your setup along the way. If the normal fights aren't sweating you enough for your tastes, you might enjoy kicking the difficulty setting up when you start P3P?

quote:

As for comparing with mainline SMT, as I noted earlier, I dislike the buff/debuff duration mechanics and how they drop off characters individually and leave you vulnerable for a whole turn and there's nothing you can do about it. The whole knockdown system itself is really repetitive but it isn't helped by enemies having the Evade [Weakness] skills. (I hear that poo poo is turned up to 11 in The Answer) Stumble and taking a whole turn to get back up is lovely too, even if I never tire of seeing the MC swing his axe/hammer/whatever, whiff and subsequently spin around to fall flat on his back.

Refresh your buffs so they don't drop off. Not sure what I can say about how you don't like constantly hitting weaknesses but also don't like when you can't hit weaknesses.

Don't misunderstand me, I prefer SMT to P3/4 when it comes to combat. But I also feel P3/4 does a very good job of making adjustments to the SMT style of combat -- a set of characters with relatively defined roles as opposed to a lone MC with a party of demons, etc. -- in order to fit the character-focused story they're telling. It's not perfect but it's still a good system that fits the games well.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

thorsilver posted:

I mean using your MC as more than a healer, switching up characters, all the stuff that ImpAtom already explained to you at length. You're basically missing chunks of the mechanics and variety.

I mean, I use a set team of characters in every RPG I play. It's not really a detriment to the gameplay and how much I enjoy it. Like how in DDS I ignored both Cielo and Gale because what do I need a third mage for? I rolled with Argilla and Heat every time I could and I liked it well enough.

thorsilver posted:

Well yes, it's an RPG -- normal fights are there to put pressure on your resources, and provide a source of XP, money, item drops and Personas as you work your way to the boss and fine-tune your setup along the way. If the normal fights aren't sweating you enough for your tastes, you might enjoy kicking the difficulty setting up when you start P3P?

I might do that. I've already been advised to play P4G on the highest difficulty because it's too easy.

quote:

Refresh your buffs so they don't drop off. Not sure what I can say about how you don't like constantly hitting weaknesses but also don't like when you can't hit weaknesses.

You cannot refresh buffs. That was not a thing until Persona 4 Golden from what I've read.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 4, 2017

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

I might do that. I've already been advised to play P4G on the highest difficulty because it's too easy.

:crossarms:

P4G has five difficulty levels. I think you misunderstood someone who told you to play on Hard. You're just going to bore yourself to death on Very Hard with grinding.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

:crossarms:

P4G has five difficulty levels. I think you misunderstood someone who told you to play on Hard. You're just going to bore yourself to death on Very Hard with grinding.

I think you're probably right. I wasn't sure what to play it on but Hard it is then.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

I think you're probably right. I wasn't sure what to play it on but Hard it is then.

Also, I was randomly listening to P3 music and something funny is going on. I got P3 off PSN and it says FES.

Yet this is totally not the version of Mass Destruction I hear in my game.

I wonder if this is some sort of fan edit? I've literally never heard this track before but I have every version of the OST

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What's strange about it? It's a full version of a song just like anime openings have full versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Tae posted:

What's strange about it? It's a full version of a song just like anime openings have full versions.

It's strange to me because its a version I haven't heard it before. I wonder if there's a song I overlooked because I have something like 6 or 7 versions of Mass Destruction on my computer