Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
This game has problems but if they can make an ARK-like game that isn't poo poo and they actually patch/fix things then this could be really, really good.

Also just looked at ARK and lol it has DLC and it's STILL in EA. Does the game still run like dog-poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Red Mundus posted:

This game has problems but if they can make an ARK-like game that isn't poo poo and they actually patch/fix things then this could be really, really good.

Also just looked at ARK and lol it has DLC and it's STILL in EA. Does the game still run like dog-poo poo?

It's still not great unless you are running a certain range of hardware.
Even then, the animations are so bad that it doesn't matter.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I started a game today and apparently I'm missing a bunch of single player server options such as Player/NPC/Minion damage, most of the crafting settings, and some other things. Also, my stuff is breaking INCREDIBLY fast. My shield broke after a single block.

I'm guessing this is just patch stuff or what? Am I missing something?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Did you accidentally tick hardcore mode or something?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Popete posted:

Did you accidentally tick hardcore mode or something?

No, like that's the thing, there's no slider or anything. THere's only one option underneath Crafting. It's weird. Can anyone else check single player settings and see if it's the same for them?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

eonwe posted:

rear end grape spelunking is optional but encouraged

As the voice of "errr wat" in this thread, and being someone with an opinion i trust for some reason i dont even know: is this game worth buying?

Should i cancel my 2-month-out-to-shipping amazon order of a 960 evo m.2 drive i dont really need and get some steam credit to get this?

Kaludan
Jul 2, 2009
Game def needs balancing and the combat is pretty bad. Looking forward to revisiting in a year.

Edit but the music and concepts are top notch

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is human flesh always food poisoning inducing unless its flesh from my yog pit crafted from flesh I gather with my cleaver?

Nyfrin
Jul 8, 2006

grimcreaper posted:

As the voice of "errr wat" in this thread, and being someone with an opinion i trust for some reason i dont even know: is this game worth buying?

Should i cancel my 2-month-out-to-shipping amazon order of a 960 evo m.2 drive i dont really need and get some steam credit to get this?

There are far worse ways to spend $30. The combat is, well, survival game combat - if you're expecting God of War style fighting, you'll be disapointed. That said, now that the lag is mostly fixed it is certainly challenging, and the game has friendly fire and pretty wide weapon arcs (at least with swords, spears may be better), which means PvP will be hard to mindlessly zerg without killing your own clanmates.

The survival game aspects are 80% of what you'd expect in any survival game - harvesting, building, etc, but it's all done with a bit of polish you wouldn't expect in an early-access game, and Funcom seems to be patching aggressively and fixing problems, so if you like survival games and goofing around with other goons, it's not a bad way to pass the time.

Also, dong sliders and dong physics.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Saxophone posted:

No, like that's the thing, there's no slider or anything. THere's only one option underneath Crafting. It's weird. Can anyone else check single player settings and see if it's the same for them?

Yeah, I got it too so it looks like they took some things out while fixing and optimizing stuff.

I'm sure they'll put it back in. I know some some sliders were bugged and some didn't work at all but it sucks as it's pretty much impossible to play SP as-is.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just thought of a tactic and I wonder if it would work.

Scope out a player-owned fortress.
Get your buddies together laden building materials.
Build the minimum structure to house enough beds for a forward spawn point.
Equip everyone with okay weapons and boxes of replacements.
Blitz the fortress and respawn close enough that your numbers seem unlimited.

gently caress up and get your stuff wrecked by an enemy scout with a pocket full of explosives.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

Yeah, I got it too so it looks like they took some things out while fixing and optimizing stuff.

I'm sure they'll put it back in. I know some some sliders were bugged and some didn't work at all but it sucks as it's pretty much impossible to play SP as-is.

Pretty much. Like things are breaking in literally 10 swings. The shield took 2 hits.

Hopefully this gets fixed tomorrow. I know it's EA so I'm not like mad at video games, but I was hoping to kill dudes with my dick out this weekend.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If the day ever comes that goons aren't all of the server and there's a decent enemy force to oppose, that's probably exactly what'll happen.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Nyfrin posted:

There are far worse ways to spend $30. The combat is, well, survival game combat - if you're expecting God of War style fighting, you'll be disapointed. That said, now that the lag is mostly fixed it is certainly challenging, and the game has friendly fire and pretty wide weapon arcs (at least with swords, spears may be better), which means PvP will be hard to mindlessly zerg without killing your own clanmates.

The survival game aspects are 80% of what you'd expect in any survival game - harvesting, building, etc, but it's all done with a bit of polish you wouldn't expect in an early-access game, and Funcom seems to be patching aggressively and fixing problems, so if you like survival games and goofing around with other goons, it's not a bad way to pass the time.

Also, dong sliders and dong physics.

Thanks for the heads up and the info. Exactly what i wanted to hear.

My ssd got pushed back another month and i refuse to wait till april 24th for it. I just got a 500gig sata ssd and that one is good enough for now. So once my steam gift cards are delivered tomorrow (i love same day free delivery. Its nice) ill pick it up.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I'm seriously considering to rent my own server for this. But the data corruption bug that has killed off Official Server #33 (where I play) for over 21 hours, might as well ruin that too. And who is gonna fix it then ? Guess the host company would just recommend a wipe in such a case.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Price from GMG was $/€24 with DEALZON code. Dunno if it works anymore.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Is this game good in single player? As in, is there NPCs to fight and monsters to defend your house from? Multiplayer is one thing, but sometimes I like to retreat to my own little hugbox and build dick towers with no worries.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Is this game good in single player? As in, is there NPCs to fight and monsters to defend your house from? Multiplayer is one thing, but sometimes I like to retreat to my own little hugbox and build dick towers with no worries.

Yeah it's ok on solo though I can't see how one would move inland and get to T2 currently.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I guess if you could lead your fighter thralls around on the map, the solo part would be fun. Currently you definitely need more people to do stuff like dragons and certain boss monsters.

Also building a huge Fortress of Doom into a mountainside requires a lot of effort and is simply more fun with other players.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Ihmemies posted:

Price from GMG was $/€24 with DEALZON code. Dunno if it works anymore.

Goddammit. :negative: I told myself I wasn't going to ground-floor this, but yeah, this coupon still works.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Hammerstein posted:

I guess if you could lead your fighter thralls around on the map, the solo part would be fun. Currently you definitely need more people to do stuff like dragons and certain boss monsters.

Also building a huge Fortress of Doom into a mountainside requires a lot of effort and is simply more fun with other players.

You can just change server settings so you level really fast and collect 10x resources and then it's pretty effortless.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Harminoff posted:

You can just change server settings so you level really fast and collect 10x resources and then it's pretty effortless.

I tried that in single player, but I miss the Ozymandias effect when there are no other players who gawk at my great works.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Hammerstein posted:

I tried that in single player, but I miss the Ozymandias effect when there are no other players who gawk at my great works.

Yeah, I can never play games like this for extended periods of time in single-player. It all feels so...pointless.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Their official server host finally croaked....

quote:

Unfortunately, due to the overwhelming demand for servers and our needs for administrating them, our official partner has been unable to deliver the level of quality and service we require. Because of this we have mutually agreed to end the partnership. We are in the process of finding new partners with the ideal hardware we can move the existing game databases to. However, due to the high demand for Conan Exiles servers, many hosting companies are simply out of the hardware that we need and as such this process might take a few days.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/440900/announcements/detail/579112419050367067

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I mean, the transparency is nice and understand why they are going to another server provider.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I don't quite get how the data corruption bug that killed the official servers, was Pingperfect's fault and not their own code ? :confused:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Ping Perfect was pretty bad from the onset, and I have a feeling it was their agreement with FunCom that arbitrarily prevented FunCom from releasing the files for Linux server support.

If FunCom was intelligent, they would just release the Linux files and the community would then fill in most of the gaps as far as servers go.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

If FunCom was intelligent

:grin:

No seriously, the Funcom of today seems to be a completely different company than the Funcom that released AoC so here's hoping that they'll do the needful.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
So are the servers down all over atm or what's the deal here?

Was thinking of wasting my weekend and running around with an insanely small penis in the desert instead of studying.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

There are only inofficial servers for now where pubbie admins can play god, even if you set your shlong to maximum size.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
This just pertains to the official servers, glad they're doing something because I rolled on one for the first time last night and it was a complete shitshow. Pretty sad when almost every other unofficial server runs 20x better.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Hammerstein posted:

There are only inofficial servers for now where pubbie admins can play god, even if you set your shlong to maximum size.

that sounds like a potentially insanely bad time tbh

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Last 24 hours were quite a letdown with all the bugs and server outages. Which is kinda sad since the game is fun when it works.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Martout posted:

that sounds like a potentially insanely bad time tbh

It generally isn't. You just have to be careful. So long as the admin doesn't play or at the very least isn't in a clan, everything will usually be alright. I've known quite a few admins for ARK and Rust servers that are totally legit. On the other hand, BMW seems to pick servers with weirdos at the helm most of the time!

There is also an AMA going on right now https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5rukhh/we_are_funcom_ask_us_anything_about_our_recently/

So what's the word for the server we're playing on this weekend?

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 3, 2017

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Lima posted:

:grin:

No seriously, the Funcom of today seems to be a completely different company than the Funcom that released AoC so here's hoping that they'll do the needful.

I'm not going to lie, this game and Funcom's conduct around the launch is making me want to reinstall AoC and see what it plays like. It was a great game with some tremendous flaws. Gorgeous too, although I'm sure it looks dated now in either fidelity or animations. But if Funcom has grown into a company that's this solid with their players and they're still supporting it after all these years maybe it's improved too?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

Never played Age of Conan myself but it seems like a great game!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I guess it's the same Funcom as ever.

They had games which looked good and usually had great atmosphere, like The Secret World and AoC, but Funcom always seemed very brittle on the technical side and that's a point which obviously has not changed.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Yeah, I'm treating this as a co-op PvE experience until release. The less I have to lean on funcom the better. At least they are patching regularly.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So according to the Reddit AMM corruption will be used for sorcery and necromancy with more corruption allowing for stronger spells. So in classic Conan fashion the more powerful the wizard the more decrepit and frail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even realize there was going to be a magic component to this all. That's awesome.

I'm totally gonna build a wizard tower on a cliff side and shoot lighting bolts at crocodiles.

• Locked thread